Help! Check out these deals!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012 | 06:37 PM
10th Gear

Help! Check out these deals!

1) buy my lease 09 tl tech with 36k for $400 monthly 5 years-wait for 5g or drive few more years has equity.

2. Lease 2012 tl tech $400 with tax included with $1500 out of pocket with my trade.

3)lease a 2012 awd sh Manual 6spd for $525 with $1500 out of pocket with my trade...

Number 3 threw a curve in decision.

The tl sh awd 6spd tech msrp will be 38500 which msrp is close to 44k.

Any feedback appreciated

Currently paying 480 was looking to save than to add...but 6spd tech is so rare nowadays..
Old 03-11-2012 | 08:10 PM
Suzuka Master

agd38...Well, it appears you have a dilemma on your hand

We need a bit more info on the following:

Option 1....how many months is your financing period? 60 month?

Option 2....How long is your lease term?

Option 3....Same as above although I can see why this would sound appealing to you.

For me, option 1 does not seem to make sense. Leasing then buying the lease vehicle has never made any sense to me (no offense). Either you buy from the get go or lease, unless of course you are disciplined enough to set a large amount of cash to purchase the lease cash at the end of the lease period but re-financing after a lease is not a good idea to me. Now that is just my opinion.

As far as your second option, if the lease term is not too long, this may be a great option. This will allow you to lower your current monthly payment...you are now paying 480/month so if its a 48 month lease, your 1500$/48 is about 30$/month so you are still ahead by about 50$ a month. This will allow you to wait and see what the 5G TL will look like, be out for a year to work out the kink and then trade your lease for a new TL. Your lease may not be over by then but you could try and get out early if you get into a new one. I suspect that IF the new 5G TL is a winner, interest rates will be quite high for the first year or so (likely in the 4-5% range) so waiting a bit will allow you to get the 5G when the car is not as hot...now if the car is a flop, these high rates won't be there but neither will your urge to get the new car *lol*

The 3rd option....Now that is a sweeeeeet car because being a SH-AWD owner myself, I can't see myself not driving one. I am not a huge fan of the manual because of my knee problem but the SH-AWD and the TECH...mighty fine car but 125$ a month (over a 48 month lease if that is what it is...would amount to an extra $6000 over the period. Is it 6000$ better....I am not sure. Option 2 still gives you the Tech package which is a bonus.

Let us know how you make out....
Old 03-11-2012 | 08:29 PM
10th Gear

Weather thanks for your input. Allow me to clarify.
1. My buyout is 20000+tax=21400. I figured with another year on warranty, my intent is not to hold the note for 5 years but at 3% interest my financial charges isn't through the roof. let's say I drove the car for two more years and had 65k miles 5 years old and may get 15k? Financially I look at it of paying 6k for 2 years and paying 250 a month if trade equity is warranted at 15k hopefully with no real maintenance issues

Lease term is 36 on both.
As much as the awd 6sp sounds alluring I was hoping for a little better gas mileage and I'm sure it's worse than tl tech. You make a valid point to pay 125 additional per month may be to rich for the step up.

Wifey wants me to bite on the tsx tech with trade only 0 out of pocket for 400 36 months
Not sure on tsx lose of power and size may take me out on this.

All deals are 12k a year but I'm rolling 15k miles anyways.

Tl tech is priced around 36400 on deal...

Thoughts?
Old 03-11-2012 | 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

AGD38....Thanks for the clarification. I see your point of buying the car and then trade it in after 2 years and use the equity into the vehicle for the next one. That is not a bad idea when put like that but 3% is not that amazing either. Personally, I think the option 3 might be too much although its just 45$ than what you are paying now....although the fuel will be more too.

Gheez...I can see how why you are torn. This is not as trivial as it appears. As far as the TSX, that is what I was driving prior to my 2012 TL. It is a nice car and the I4 is a nice little engine but I am worried that you may regret coming from the TL. When I had my TSX, I used to love the high revving sound of the engine and once you had reached your cruising speed, it was a smooth engine but getting the power out of it was a bit more effort to get in the right power band. Now, if you have a manual TSX, it might be a bit easier but the bottom line is that the engine does not have the HP and torque you are used in your TL and may find it a bit underwhelming. Did you get to try it?

From a drive/handling/comfort and reliability, the TSX is nothing to worry about....Now if you had a SH-AWD TL and wanted to go to the TSX, I'd say DO NOT DO IT....but from a FWD TL, its not that significant except the power.

Having being hooked on the feel of the SH-AWD on a dry curvy road...I tell you, once you get to feel the capability of the car, I am not sure how I'll ever drive a non SH-AWD. Its THAT good!!
Old 03-12-2012 | 09:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm assuming you have a 3-year lease on your current car? If so, another option is to extend your current lease through Acura for another year. You can do it on a month-to-month basis during that time because the dealer may even give you better numbers as time goes on. Also, when the 5g comes out you will be able to make a more informed decision regarding a 5g with a great money factor/residual versus a new leftover 4g at a substantial discount.
Old 03-13-2012 | 10:59 AM
Blue Wild Angel Music

Option 1...if you still enjoy the car and keep it nice.. I think those numbers look good plus the equity you built and maybe whatever you put down when you bought the car you would capture.. another yr of warranty...keep it for a year or 2 and sell or trade it for good money..
Old 03-13-2012 | 02:09 PM
Drifting

They all seem like pretty good alternatives but it depends on what you want to do going forward. Consider if the 5G will be on your radar and at what point in it's model year or if you may want any new car in a short periold of time.

Buying out your vehicle will give you the most flexibility going forward and if you can keep it in good shape, it will also be the cheapest long term as you should be able to recoupe some of the payments in equity.

Buying your car now will still keep all of those other options on the table going further. Any of the other choices and you lose all of the other options in the process with exception to extending the lease another year.