Hate my 4G TL!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by TLTrance
In Virginia, do you get your plates for a car upon purchase? In California, I didn't even get my plates till almost 2 months later!
In a lot of states you can switch your trade-in plates onto the new car.

Drove home a new '08 Expedition with the plates I had on the '02 Explorer trade-in.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by FR4NCH1SE
it usually takes a week to pick up your plates from a dealer atleast it did for me at a local non acura dealer in northern virginia. But 2 months, Raped, lol Our Dealer expiration plates last only 1 month.
Recently, dealers like Pohanka, have a stock of plates on hand, and you get them when you drive the car off the lot.

I was surprised they could do that, but it sure is convenient!

Or you can swap out the your existing plates if you trade your car....
Old 10-03-2008, 01:36 PM
3.2 VTEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nevertheless, the guy came off like an ass and has totally unreasonable arguments...

mabe if his title was something other than "4G TL is a POS" it wouldn't of come out as bad.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
All I can say is... there sure are a lot of different kinds of people in the world. Before I bought my TSX I spend months cross-shopping different vehicles before reaching a decision. I brought multiple CDs to the dealership and sat in the car listening to each one. I made sure I was happy with how the car drive, even taking more than one test drive if I needed to.

Other people seem to buy cars much differently... but perhaps if you've chosen the wrong car for you, it'll inspire you to be more methodical next time around.

I really find it hard to believe that the '09 TL is a "bad" car, though. Surely just one of the many reviewers who drove the car at the launch event would have noticed that. It's no doubt different from how a BMW drives, but that doesn't make it "bad" - just perhaps not the right model for you.

Also, I always maintain never to buy a first model year car... let somebody else shake out the bugs! You can't enjoy the car while it's in the shop.

For what it's worth I really do NOT like the ELS sound system. I tried it out on the '06 TL and the RDX, and I found it to be weak all around. That's probably an artifact of the rubbish music I'm listening to, though.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Had the OP taken the time Darmok took he would probably have made a better selection for his needs. I'm never happy to see someone disappointed with his new car, but in the end, we all need to take responsibility for our decisions.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vincethe1
mabe if his title was something other than "4G TL is a POS" it wouldn't of come out as bad.
...and his username was something other than TLsuxz.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by darmok
...Also, I always maintain never to buy a first model year car... let somebody else shake out the bugs! You can't enjoy the car while it's in the shop...
I own 2 first model year Honda Motor Company cars that I purchased new from dealers: a 1999 Acura TL and a 2000 Honda S2000.

No problems with either car.

Based on my personal experience, you don't have to wait.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Thank you for posting the pictures. I will let the others chime in about the audio, but the items related to the ride, take the car back to the dealership and have them check to make sure that all items from the PDI were completed. The other possibility that I am thinking of is that there are these stoppers they put in the spring during transit that often get forgotten, which can result in the harsh ride.

As for the acceleration, you may have to give the car some time to adapt your driving style. All of the modern ECUs have a learning period where they learn the drivers habits and adapt accordingly.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
As for the acceleration, you may have to give the car some time to adapt your driving style. All of the modern ECUs have a learning period where they learn the drivers habits and adapt accordingly.
Also be aware that the drive-by-wire throttle may respond differently than you're used to. I haven't driven the '09 TL, but I'd be surprised if the throttle lag was completely eliminated, and depending on the situation it's very possible to catch the 5AT with its pants down, at which point it'll take a few seconds for it to finally deliver your power.

Of course, you shouldn't be driving the car aggressively during the break-in period anyway, but if you feel the need to test out the acceleration, try putting the transmission in manual mode and using the paddles to shift near redline. If it still seems slow, then go back and get a 335i. I doubt most people would think it's slow, though!
Old 10-03-2008, 05:36 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your new TL! There are several reason why I would not have bought the 09 TL, #1 - I dont like the styling, #2 - I don't buy first model year cars EVER, #3 - If I ever did buy the 09 TL it would absolutely no doubt abou it have to be the SH-AWD. I hope you are able to find a satisfactory resolution to this. GL
Old 10-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know what the OP is talking about. My 4G TL has very good acceleration. Throttle response is immediate. I used to own a BMW 545i and my new TL is pretty close in terms of acceleration (0-60).
Old 10-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Acuras Only in

Obviously the OP happened to stumble on a lemon .... which could happen to any car model year IMO ...

Good luck getting another whip !
Old 10-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Cruisin'

This would seem to make the case for test driving the actual purchase vehicle before accepting delivery of it. That's the one time when all dealers have a vested interest in getting problems fixed in a hurrry. There is no guarantee that your purchase vehicle will perform exactly as some other test unit. Even small problems would be aggravating. Big ones, we don't even want to think about. I am very sorry to hear of the OP's woes with a brand new $40,000 car. I would suggest taking this straight to Acura Customer Support. Do it in a firm but respectful manner. If they appreciate their reputation, they won't risk it on one questionable car. Best wishes on getting this resolved soon.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Pro

I always test drive my new car on the day of delivery before I sign my name on the dotted line and part with my money. I also like taking delivery early Saturday mornings when the crowds are thin, so that I can spend more time test driving the new car and viewing it in bring daylight. I am sure there must a thread in this forum about "WHAT TO DOS when taking delivery." Someone who has good searching skills may want to update that thread and post it up for everyone to review and chime in. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Anybody around DC want a 4G TL cheap?

How much you asking for it? I may be interested. But, am in OH. I'd be willing to make that trip for the right price.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:43 PM
2019 RDX Tech SH-AWD

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FR4NCH1SE
it usually takes a week to pick up your plates from a dealer atleast it did for me at a local non acura dealer in northern virginia. But 2 months, Raped, lol Our Dealer expiration plates last only 1 month.
Radley in Falls Church, VA put new plates on my car at purchase. No temp tags at all. They were not transferred, new tags.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:18 PM
TL-S izdashiznittt in

Seems to me like that OP just didnt bother to do his reaserch about the vehicle. The only answer to all of this is that the vehicle is a lemon. Even if it is, there is no way that he wouldnt have noticed half of his " negative judgments" during the test drive. I feel for you TLsux but hey maybe next time you should think twice and consider what you spend 40k. Our TL's our great cars and not too many people have any complaints about them. I guess your one out of the unlucky bunch that recieved a lemon. Good luck with da 4G.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still under the impression that this guy is on the BMW payroll and is just supposed to give our car a bad reputation. His car will more than likely be reverse engineered and used to improve the next BMW 3 or 5 Series. All competitor's have probably picked up a new TL so they can break it down and copy it's interior and technology just like with the 3G. Culprits include the CTS, G35, and others.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Instructor

I'll lead an entire mob to call this car an ugly duckling. I won't question Honda/Acura build quality, which in my experience (four Accords, a Vigor, a TL, and now a Pilot), is the very best.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by blakura
All competitor's have probably picked up a new TL so they can break it down and copy its.

Culprits include the CTS
So that where the CTS-V got the 556HP motor from.

Any manufacturer, including Honda, who is not testing & cutting up the competitions' cars is not doing its product development job.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:04 AM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory

Any manufacturer, including Honda, who is not testing & cutting up the competitions' cars is not doing its product development job.
very well said
Old 10-06-2008, 07:16 AM
Racer

I was referring to the interior design, look at the center console and the door trim.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Rows His Own

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you buy it from Pohanka?
Old 10-06-2008, 08:44 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I was referring to the interior design, look at the center console and the door trim.

Post a side-by-side picture comparison. The TL, CTS and G35 center stacks look nothing alike.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Advanced

Well.... I have to say as a 2008 TL-S owner...

I get alittle bit of a chuckle/sense of relief that the new car isnt all that and a bag of chips. Plus i hate that tooth in the front... anyways its still a bummer that you arent happy with your car

Since i DO have the ELS system--i will partially agree with you that is alittle bit less than it should be for a 40k car (which I paid 34 for because i dont need the 'latest and greatest'). HOWEVER, it most certainly doesnt wash out at 7. Maybe if i put one of those cd's in that they use @ bass competitions it would. I think mine gets pretty bad around 26-30 depending on genre and the only time its up that loud is if im doing 90 with the windows down on the HWY.

As far as the Accel issue.... My car wouldnt pick up its own S**t for the first 3k miles. I actually treated the car like it was in breakin period until i hit the first oil change, which was 7500 miles. When i hit the gas when i pulled out of the first change was the first time that i really got on it.... the car moves, im sure the 09 is the same or faster. I would give it some time.

Here is what i would do:

>Get the sterio checked out
>test drive another 09 while they are looking at it--cross reference that experience
>Check the ECU out
>Stop listening to the CD that Acura gave you. Hook your Iphone up and listen to something you would actually listen to.

If you are outside what you have by law to return it (in NY i think its 3 days), you might as well break it in and see what happens-you will already take a huge hit anyways.

LASTLY-there is no F-ing way that your 09 TL is a worse ride than your s10. Thats just not possible--unless they forgot to put something important on your car. like struts. shit maybe you are riding in a car without suspension by the way you described it. (i have heard of the dealership forgeting to remove "rubber washers" of some sort that seriously stiffen the suspension during shipment).

The only thing im not happy with on my car is the MPG- and that is probably a symptom of other things...

and my local dealership blows. John Holtz...

In any case, Good luck
Old 10-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

sorry to hear that man i personally dont like the new body style
Old 10-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Racer

It's clear that this 4G TL got a bad owner.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SpecialFX
It's clear that this 4G TL got a bad owner.
Who still has only 5 posts and hasn't responded to any of the constructive suggestions here.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Snax

Keep in mind with any new generation model, the kinks need to be worked out. You run the risk of being a 'test pilot' during the break-in period and shake down cruise of any new entry car. Any issues should be adressed directly by Acura. Maybe the 4G is not for everyone especially those with high (3G) expectations.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Race Director

Too bad Acura doesn't have a 30 day return policy.....

Btw, I went to my Acura dealer with my gf to take a look at the new TL. Man, this thing is uglier in person sorry to say. It really is a step backwards. I thought a lot of people would be looking at the new TL. We were the only ones at the dealer looking at it, a lot of other people were looking at buying the the old 08 TL, the MDX, or 09 TSX.

My gf thought that the front looks like a beak. Then, the price is ridiculous, $39K for a loaded FWD 280hp TL/tech? No thanks!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:54 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,230 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Originally Posted by snax
Keep in mind with any new generation model, the kinks need to be worked out. You run the risk of being a 'test pilot' during the break-in period and shake down cruise of any new entry car. Any issues should be adressed directly by Acura. Maybe the 4G is not for everyone especially those with high (3G) expectations.
1985 Integra; 1989 Legend LS; 1996 Legend; 2000 TL; 2004 TL; 2008 TL

You need to correct your signature, there was no 1985 Acura Integra (1G 1st year was 1986) or 1995 Acura Legend (last production year was 1995).

Last edited by Legend2TL; 10-06-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:59 PM
AZ Community Team

I'm still under the impression that this guy is on the BMW payroll and is just supposed to give our car a bad reputation. His car will more than likely be reverse engineered and used to improve the next BMW 3 or 5 Series. All competitor's have probably picked up a new TL so they can break it down and copy it's interior and technology just like with the 3G. Culprits include the CTS, G35, and others.
His drama queen list of problems seem almost impossible (slower than a Chevy S10 pickup?). Distortion at 8? I listened to a 4G at a Acura dealer on Saturday and it sounded great at 15-20!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Snax

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
You need to correct your signature, there was no 1985 Acura Integra (1G 1st year was 1986) or 1995 Acura Legend (last production year was 1995).
You are correct, thanks. My wife reminded me (GF at the time) that I bought 86 integra at end of 85.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Distortion at 8? I listened to a 4G at a Acura dealer on Saturday and it sounded great at 15-20!
If his bass and treble controls are maxed, he would certainly get distortion at a lower volume. I'm not sure if the controls are marked in dbs, but if max is plus 12 db (typical) than at a certain frequency he is asking his 400 watt system to put out thousands of watts. Naturally it will clip and probably bottom out.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:52 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
damn dude,

sorry about that. First year model production is a risky buy. You probably did get a lemon. Return it to Acura and file a complaint about the vehicle.

Look at the New RL09 it looks really good. better than the new TL ImO...Don't leave Acura
Old 10-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Personally, I think the guy's not legit.......no one can say such preposterous things as this guy claims. It's one thing to have issue with one area of the car like the radio or the transmission....but EVERYTHING at once?! There is absolutely NO WAY you can tell me that after test driving the car, signing the documents, and after bringing it home, everything falls apart! This is a Honda/Acura....one of the most reliable, well-built cars in the industry......NOT A YUGO! Cars today are so well built and engineered, that even the cheapest Hyundai will easily last well over 100K miles without any major problems. The fact that he hasn't responded or defended himself in any way since his first post confirms my belief that he is just another troll trying to slam the 4G and Acura.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:40 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by PetesTL
Personally, I think the guy's not legit.......no one can say such preposterous things as this guy claims. It's one thing to have issue with one area of the car like the radio or the transmission....but EVERYTHING at once?! There is absolutely NO WAY you can tell me that after test driving the car, signing the documents, and after bringing it home, everything falls apart! This is a Honda/Acura....one of the most reliable, well-built cars in the industry......NOT A YUGO! Cars today are so well built and engineered, that even the cheapest Hyundai will easily last well over 100K miles without any major problems. The fact that he hasn't responded or defended himself in any way since his first post confirms my belief that he is just another troll trying to slam the 4G and Acura.
, Yup and he/she has gotten almost 5K views with this dramatic thread in their first posting. Alot of folks believing his story and some others not (myself included). The photo's prove his/she had access to a 4G TL but does not prove the problems exist. Knowing how modern cars are assembled and tested along with all the process and procedures I cannot believe his tales.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 10-07-2008 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Wild Child

Research

, Yup and he/she has gotten almost 5K views with this dramatic thread in their first posting. Alot of folks believing his story and some others not (myself included). The photo's prove his/she had access to a 4G TL but does not prove the problems exist. Knowing how modern cars are assembled and tested along with all the process and procedures I cannot believe his tales.
(SAID WITH LOVE) Not to slam the moderators or anything but those pictures he provided dont prove anything. I have let people get into my 4G and take pictures with a camera phone. The car is amazing for the price. And to be an 09', there should be no question on the price tag. The technology in the car cant be found in any other car for that price. I mean, I had a 3G TL and wanted an 09' MDX. I drove everything on the lot before I made my decision. So, I dont know how one could get themselves in this situation. Even still, you cant please everyone.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
I can see where people may think he is a troll but he may have some ligit concerns. I myself have a hard time seeing how the acceleration and ride could vary so far from his test drive but some people on here have given some reasonable reasons why.

As for comparing it to his old S-10....well he is probably pissed off so much that he is exagerating but either way the moderator believed him enough to re-open the thread.

Lets face it though......If the thread didnt read "I hate my 4G TL" but rather "I hate my (insert any German Car etc) " Most people here would be saying...OH i told ya so and Acura reliablity this and Honda reliabilty that and his word would be gospel.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Wild Child

Originally Posted by cp3117
I can see where people may think he is a troll but he may have some ligit concerns. I myself have a hard time seeing how the acceleration and ride could vary so far from his test drive but some people on here have given some reasonable reasons why.

As for comparing it to his old S-10....well he is probably pissed off so much that he is exagerating but either way the moderator believed him enough to re-open the thread.

Lets face it though......If the thread didnt read "I hate my 4G TL" but rather "I hate my (insert any German Car etc) " Most people here would be saying...OH i told ya so and Acura reliablity this and Honda reliabilty that and his word would be gospel.
You're right. I have an OLD S-10 that I drive to work and know way is that gonna take my TL. Not a day in its life.

Quick Reply: Hate my 4G TL!