Goodbye for now - Things to do before handing it off

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Goodbye for now - Things to do before handing it off

Hey guys,

I traded in my 2012 TL Tech last week and I'll be handing over the keys tomorrow after work when I pick up my new Lexus NX200T f-Sport.

I had the TL for about a year and a half. I very much enjoyed it except for the battles I had with the dealer to fix the rattles in the glove compartment and in the hat shelf (the latter is listed in the TSBs).

My main reason for getting rid of it is because it's the only vehicle between my fiancee and I and we need something that can fit more (if only the back seats went down). I almost bought a 2016 RDX but I ended up with the NX since they gave me a great deal.

This is my family's 3rd Acura (1997 EL, 2007 CSX) and hopefully it won't be my last since I grew up with the brand.

Is there anything I should do with the TL before handing it off?
I'm going to whipe the quick-call phone numbers and the saved Home addresses. Not sure if there's anything else I should clear that I haven't thought of.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:59 AM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Save every seat memory setting with the seat as far forward as possible.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:29 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by skabei
Hey guys,

I traded in my 2012 TL Tech last week and I'll be handing over the keys tomorrow after work when I pick up my new Lexus NX200T f-Sport.

I had the TL for about a year and a half. I very much enjoyed it except for the battles I had with the dealer to fix the rattles in the glove compartment and in the hat shelf (the latter is listed in the TSBs).

My main reason for getting rid of it is because it's the only vehicle between my fiancee and I and we need something that can fit more (if only the back seats went down). I almost bought a 2016 RDX but I ended up with the NX since they gave me a great deal.

This is my family's 3rd Acura (1997 EL, 2007 CSX) and hopefully it won't be my last since I grew up with the brand.

I'm going to whipe the quick-call phone numbers and the saved Home addresses. Not sure if there's anything else I should clear that I haven't thought of.
I've been tinkering with this idea too. Thinking of 4Runner, NX200t as well, or the GX... and then later getting a used 911.

In addition to what you've done, I would:
1) Make sure all compartments are empty, including glove box and arm rest and door compartments. Leave nothing that would tie your name/address to the car.
2) Reset all homelink connections
3) Check inside trunk and underneath liner to make sure nothing is left behind
4) Remove accessory license plate frames
5) Delete any music stored on the HD
Old 10-27-2015, 12:39 PM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ABDomega
This actually made me laugh! Do it!
Old 10-27-2015, 01:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nitin
This actually made me laugh! Do it!
LOL that is hilarious. Maybe set one all the way front and one all the way back.

Originally Posted by docboy
I've been tinkering with this idea too. Thinking of 4Runner, NX200t as well, or the GX... and then later getting a used 911.

In addition to what you've done, I would:
1) Make sure all compartments are empty, including glove box and arm rest and door compartments. Leave nothing that would tie your name/address to the car.
2) Reset all homelink connections
3) Check inside trunk and underneath liner to make sure nothing is left behind
4) Remove accessory license plate frames
5) Delete any music stored on the HD
Docboy you've been having quite a lot of trouble with the oil burning. I'm actually surprised that you stuck through with it for this long. I'll report back with the comparison between the NX and the RDX once I get it as I've tested both before I bought it.

I've already searched through all of the physical compartments with the exception of the cupholder compartment in the backseat which I will do.

The homelink has never worked at my condo so that's covered. The music is some cultural music that I don't recognize from the first owner so I'll just leave that there.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
EL and CSX Don't count.
What the hell is an NX200T?
Old 10-27-2015, 08:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
You picked the Lexus NX over the 2016 RDX? I'm sure the NX is pretty nice but that is not a deal bro! The RDX is the superior vehicle.

Hey guys,

Old 10-27-2015, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jim_c
EL and CSX Don't count.
What the hell is an NX200T?
Okay the EL was pretty much a fancier Civic but the CSX was really nice. I like the CSX more than the ILX.

Originally Posted by rockyboy
You picked the Lexus NX over the 2016 RDX? I'm sure the NX is pretty nice but that is not a deal bro! The RDX is the superior vehicle.
Yeah there were pros and cons with either that we had to prioritize when picking. The RDX is faster and accelerates more aggressively but the interior does not measure up. The NX feels a lot better with the construction and the materials. I'm also not a fan of the dual screen layout (had it on my 2013 Accord). The road feel is better on the RDX but there is way more cabin noise than the NX - something which my fiancee really didn't like about the RDX (compared to the NX and the TL).

Another thing is that I like the RDX when I look at it, but if I see an MDX, the RDX just doesn't look good anymore until I forget what the MDX looks like. The fugly rims on all trims of the RDX also pushes me away from it. The rims do definitely look better in person than in pictures but it's still a huge turnoff considering that it's a luxury SUV.

We also thought the RDX was a bit bigger than we wanted because we were originally looking at a CUV (GLA, Q3, CX-3) or a hatchback but thought that we should futureproof and get a car that can more comfortably fit a baby seat. The NX isn't that much smaller but it's a size that we're more comfortable with.

Reliability - Acura reliability has also be less than stellar. It has dropped tremendously in the Consumer Report rankings since 2013 and I can definitely atest to that with what I experienced with the TL. I went in for an array of issues and one dealership each time replaced the window runchannel which seemed to have nothing to do with the issue (and it did nothing to help it) and another took several attempts to fix a few rattles that I feel shouldn't have been there in the first place. The torque converter was acting up at times and I didn't feel like proving it to the dealer with less than 6 months warranty remaining.

Aesthetics - I really do like the NX look more. It's aggressive (maybe too much so) but it feels young. After so many Acuras and Hondas it's time for a change.

Price - With the incentives on the outgoing 2015 NX models, Lexus gave me a price that was hard to refuse. I got over $7k off and it is $2-3k more than what I could have gotten the RDX at after cash incentives for the tech package. For roughly the same price, I definitely think that the NX was a better deal. I would have gotten a better trade-in at Acura but Lexus gave me what the car was worth without having to haggle.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:30 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
The NX is definitely a head turner. A good friend of mine purchased one earlier this year. He liked everything about it except he kept complaining about how thin and uncomfortable the f-Sport seats were. It got so bad that he traded it in after a few months (and took a huge hit might I add) for the non f-sport model. He's still not 100% happy, but he says the seats are a little bit more comfortable. He did cross-shop the RDX, but just like you he felt like the Lexus interior was of a higher quality and he hated the dual screens and rims on the RDX.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MisterZDX
The NX is definitely a head turner. A good friend of mine purchased one earlier this year. He liked everything about it except he kept complaining about how thin and uncomfortable the f-Sport seats were. It got so bad that he traded it in after a few months (and took a huge hit might I add) for the non f-sport model. He's still not 100% happy, but he says the seats are a little bit more comfortable. He did cross-shop the RDX, but just like you he felt like the Lexus interior was of a higher quality and he hated the dual screens and rims on the RDX.
I hope that I find the f-Sport seats comfortable during long trips. I haven't sat in it for more than 30 minutes but so far I fit very snugly into it with a fall jacket. They're definitely far smaller than the RDX seats which my fiancee likes. The driving position just feels more to her size.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:07 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
LMAO- Never thought of doing this...

OP- Best of luck with the Lexus, I'm sure you'll be happy.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:39 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Wipe out the garage door opener, in case you have set it up. This is most important. Then all the Bluetooth / Nav settings. Anything else doesn't matter.
Congratulations on your new car.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:39 AM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
Wipe out the garage door opener, in case you have set it up. This is most important. Then all the Bluetooth / Nav settings. Anything else doesn't matter.
Definitely delete the previous addresses in your Nav, including, obviously, home.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
$7000 off is pretty sweet. Glad you're happy with the vehicle. Lexus was my second choice, I was close to getting the RX350 f-sport (currently on sale for $6000 off) but it was a bit too big and I liked the power and acceleration and beauty of the 2016 RDX.

Not sure why some people don't like the dual screen. I love it! It just gives you more options to control things and more information display.

Okay the EL was pretty much a fancier Civic but the CSX was really nice. I like the CSX more than the ILX.

Yeah there were pros and cons with either that we had to prioritize when picking. The RDX is faster and accelerates more aggressively but the interior does not measure up. The NX feels a lot better with the construction and the materials. I'm also not a fan of the dual screen layout (had it on my 2013 Accord). The road feel is better on the RDX but there is way more cabin noise than the NX - something which my fiancee really didn't like about the RDX (compared to the NX and the TL).

Another thing is that I like the RDX when I look at it, but if I see an MDX, the RDX just doesn't look good anymore until I forget what the MDX looks like. The fugly rims on all trims of the RDX also pushes me away from it. The rims do definitely look better in person than in pictures but it's still a huge turnoff considering that it's a luxury SUV.

We also thought the RDX was a bit bigger than we wanted because we were originally looking at a CUV (GLA, Q3, CX-3) or a hatchback but thought that we should futureproof and get a car that can more comfortably fit a baby seat. The NX isn't that much smaller but it's a size that we're more comfortable with.

Reliability - Acura reliability has also be less than stellar. It has dropped tremendously in the Consumer Report rankings since 2013 and I can definitely atest to that with what I experienced with the TL. I went in for an array of issues and one dealership each time replaced the window runchannel which seemed to have nothing to do with the issue (and it did nothing to help it) and another took several attempts to fix a few rattles that I feel shouldn't have been there in the first place. The torque converter was acting up at times and I didn't feel like proving it to the dealer with less than 6 months warranty remaining.

Aesthetics - I really do like the NX look more. It's aggressive (maybe too much so) but it feels young. After so many Acuras and Hondas it's time for a change.

Price - With the incentives on the outgoing 2015 NX models, Lexus gave me a price that was hard to refuse. I got over $7k off and it is $2-3k more than what I could have gotten the RDX at after cash incentives for the tech package. For roughly the same price, I definitely think that the NX was a better deal. I would have gotten a better trade-in at Acura but Lexus gave me what the car was worth without having to haggle.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Comfy
Definitely delete the previous addresses in your Nav, including, obviously, home.
Yeah the first thing I wiped out was the phone pairing and addresses. The old addresses and saved Home was still there from the first owner so I could have stopped by and said 'Hello' =D. He also left a photocopy of his ownership in the manual package.. which I still have. I made sure to remove my ownership and insurance papers.

I can't pair the garage door opener with the garage door in my condo so I didn't have to clear that. Conversely though I almost forgot my garage door opener in the little storage cubby under the dash near the central console.

Originally Posted by rockyboy
$7000 off is pretty sweet. Glad you're happy with the vehicle. Lexus was my second choice, I was close to getting the RX350 f-sport (currently on sale for $6000 off) but it was a bit too big and I liked the power and acceleration and beauty of the 2016 RDX.

Not sure why some people don't like the dual screen. I love it! It just gives you more options to control things and more information display.
The actual interface with the dual screen isn't bad but sometimes it felt unintuitive when I had to remember what information will appear on which screen. One thing that I dislike about both the RDX and the NX is that the backup cameras are terrible compared to the TL. The RDX is too dark, especially at night, and the NX is too bright, especially at night. Both look terrible on the screen. The TL and the Accord looked beautiful though.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:12 PM
2010 TL SH-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would like to know what you think about the 4cyl turbo. Especially stepping down from a 6. I was in the situation once. Always driving 6 and 8 cylinder . Few years back i purchased a new Audi A4 2.0t. Got rid of it as fast as I bought it. Engine had a lot of power for a 4 banger, but it was loud and felt coarse like a sewing machine under load. Missed the quiet and smoothness of the 6 and bought a Q5. It was a night and day difference. I would never get a 4cyl ever again , even if it makes 400hp. Also drove many other brands of 2.0t engines too and they are very much identical. The drives get pretty boring quick, then again im just a performance junkie. People buy cars for many other categories.

Last edited by S power; 10-28-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 9,524 Likes on 6,180 Posts
Congrats on the NX!

Make sure you register your Enform Remote after delivery
Old 10-28-2015, 04:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Congrats on the NX!

Make sure you register your Enform Remote after delivery
What's Enform Rebate? Does it apply to Canada?
I'll take a look at this. Thanks
Old 10-28-2015, 04:28 PM

What's Enform Rebate? Does it apply to Canada?
I'll take a look at this. Thanks
Click this link and then click Remote: Lexus Enform

Only 2015 NX models with factory navigation offer that feature. If you didn't get Navigation, you have Display Audio, which doesn't include the app.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by S power
I would like to know what you think about the 4cyl turbo. Especially stepping down from a 6. I was in the situation once. Always driving 6 and 8 cylinder . Few years back i purchased a new Audi A4 2.0t. Got rid of it as fast as I bought it. Engine had a lot of power for a 4 banger, but it was loud and felt coarse like a sewing machine under load. Missed the quiet and smoothness of the 6 and bought a Q5. It was a night and day difference. I would never get a 4cyl ever again , even if it makes 400hp. Also drove many other brands of 2.0t engines too and they are very much identical. The drives get pretty boring quick, then again im just a performance junkie. People buy cars for many other categories.
I haven't driven it much yet, but so far I am happy with the speed and acceleration. It accelerates quickly for an 4000lb SUV but of course it's not as quick as RDX (but the NX is also 200lb heavier). In sports mode it's definitely a rather aggressive SUV so I don't think I'll be using it too much but it's fun.

The main things I noticed was that the center of gravity is a lot higher so doing quick turns in my condo parking garage does not feel as good as on the TL but this would be the case with almost any SUV (maybe not the Macan?). I feel like more reserved driving it because it's not as gas happy as the TL which made me a more aggressive driver than I was when I owned my other cars.

But to answer your question: The engine is smooth, the acceleration and transmission is very smooth (unlike my AT TL which would confuse itself during stop-and-go traffic or when going uphill). The engine itself is quiet from the cabin, especially if I turn off the artificial noises (which is counter intuitive considering the fake noise is countering all the sound dampening in the car). I'm happy with the drive so far but it sounds like you might need more power. The RDX delivers here with better acceleration but I found the road noise to be surprisingly bad.

Click this link and then click Remote: Lexus Enform

Only 2015 NX models with factory navigation offer that feature. If you didn't get Navigation, you have Display Audio, which doesn't include the app.
I have the f-Sport package which comes with nav included in Canada. This is something neat to checkout. Is the rebate you're talking about the free 1-year trial? Thanks for sharing this. I am very interested.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:08 AM

I have the f-Sport package which comes with nav included in Canada. This is something neat to checkout. Is the rebate you're talking about the free 1-year trial? Thanks for sharing this. I am very interested.
Yeah, you have the Remote free for one year! Download the Lexus Enform Remote app and follow the steps to register.

http://www.lexus.com/enform/pdf/enfo...stomer-reg.pdf
Old 10-30-2015, 07:51 AM
Instructor

Yeah, you have the Remote free for one year! Download the Lexus Enform Remote app and follow the steps to register.

http://www.lexus.com/enform/pdf/enfo...stomer-reg.pdf
So my NX supports it but I can't download the app in Canada... I could download it if I use an American iTunes account but I don't know if the service will work here...

Sigh.. so close lol
Old 10-30-2015, 09:09 AM

So my NX supports it but I can't download the app in Canada... I could download it if I use an American iTunes account but I don't know if the service will work here...

Sigh.. so close lol
What?!?! That's unfortunate
Old 10-30-2015, 10:21 PM
Instructor

What?!?! That's unfortunate
Yep.. sucks.. but I'll definitely jump on it when it comes to Canada.

I've let go of my TL now. Thinking back, it was a sad moment. I was in the NX exploring the infotaintment when the dealer left me with the car and got into my TL (which was facing the NX from the side) and drove it away. I was aware of what was going on but I was too preoccupied to really give it much thought.

If my TL was alive.. it would have been such a sad moment..
I miss it.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:51 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Yep.. sucks.. but I'll definitely jump on it when it comes to Canada.

I've let go of my TL now. Thinking back, it was a sad moment. I was in the NX exploring the infotaintment when the dealer left me with the car and got into my TL (which was facing the NX from the side) and drove it away. I was aware of what was going on but I was too preoccupied to really give it much thought.

If my TL was alive.. it would have been such a sad moment..
I miss it.
I felt the same way when I traded my '09 TL in for my TLX. I love my TLX but giving up my TL was a huge mistake, so I kept the TLX and bought a '10 TL
Old 11-02-2015, 08:07 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently traded my 4G TL for a Q50. Make sure to give your wheel lock key, if you have one, with your keys. I sold mine to Carmax, and they do a good job of wiping everything to ensure privacy. They wouldn't even take my service records for that reason.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hmsrocinante2112
I recently traded my 4G TL for a Q50. Make sure to give your wheel lock key, if you have one, with your keys. I sold mine to Carmax, and they do a good job of wiping everything to ensure privacy. They wouldn't even take my service records for that reason.
How does the Q50 compare with the 4G?
Old 11-02-2015, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

So I understand this Lexus NX is basically a fancy Corolla - is that correct?
Old 11-02-2015, 01:19 PM
Instructor

So I understand this Lexus NX is basically a fancy Corolla - is that correct?
Lol it's at least as far away from the Rav4 as the RDX is from the CRV.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

LOL is right, lol.

Well, I am partly just yanking your chain and I don't mean anything disrespectful, but I just read a report in The Star on Sat. which says the NX is basically a Matrix which is basically a Corolla. Same platform.
The RDX or CRV is irrelevant.
I just find the choices of the car buying public to be very odd in general.
The whole crossover/SUV thing is bizarre (MHO)!
If you want to carry stuff, get a truck (or a Camry).
I have the luxury for now of having an F150 and a 4G TL.
I don't much enjoy the truck but it is practical.
I'll get rid of it after I'm finished my home renos.
The TL is great. Not perfect but I enjoy it.
As I said in another thread, I can't think of another car I'd like to own.
I'd love to drive an Audi or a Beemer etc. but there's no way I would ever own one. I'll never buy another car from GM, Ford, or Chrysler, so my options are limited!
Old 11-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

PS.
There is no such thing as a great deal.
The auto retail model is built on screwing the customer: at purchase, at service, and at trade-in.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
there are two kinds of deals that can be made

good deal = getting screwed with KY ...it's easier on the customer

no good deal = getting screwed dry ...hurts more
Old 11-02-2015, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Well, I am partly just yanking your chain and I don't mean anything disrespectful, but I just read a report in The Star on Sat. which says the NX is basically a Matrix which is basically a Corolla. Same platform.
The RDX or CRV is irrelevant.
I just find the choices of the car buying public to be very odd in general.
The whole crossover/SUV thing is bizarre (MHO)!
If you want to carry stuff, get a truck (or a Camry).
I have the luxury for now of having an F150 and a 4G TL.
I don't much enjoy the truck but it is practical.
I'll get rid of it after I'm finished my home renos.
The TL is great. Not perfect but I enjoy it.
As I said in another thread, I can't think of another car I'd like to own.
I'd love to drive an Audi or a Beemer etc. but there's no way I would ever own one. I'll never buy another car from GM, Ford, or Chrysler, so my options are limited!
I know you're just poking me =P
I find it funny that they compared it to the Matrix when Lexus/Toyota has said that it's based on the rav4. It's definitely a smaller SUV (although heavier than the RDX) and can't carry much, but that's what we wanted. And it looks great. Ideally I'd get one big SUV and a smaller car for fun but we only have 1 parking spot at our condo so something in the middle will have to do for now.

PS.
There is no such thing as a great deal.
The auto retail model is built on screwing the customer: at purchase, at service, and at trade-in.
Paying below invoice is generally a win for me and they threw in everything I would have otherwise asked for (weather mats, wheel locks, cargo net, cargo cover). Unhaggle also states that the average paid for the NX200T fSport (and only fSport) is really close to the MSRP whereas all other cars I've requested unhaggle pricing for is usually closer to the invoice price. I don't know if this is true but for now it makes me happy thinking that.

Originally Posted by copmagnet82
there are two kinds of deals that can be made

good deal = getting screwed with KY ...it's easier on the customer

no good deal = getting screwed dry ...hurts more
What's KY?
Old 11-03-2015, 10:33 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
/\KY = KY Jelly
Old 11-03-2015, 10:50 AM
Instructor