Good way to drive SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:17 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good way to drive SH-AWD

I'm coming from a g37X, and the way you drive through turns seems very different compare to the TL

with the G i accelerater almost at the end of the curve, sometimes slight slipping from rear wheel but it's fun

Now with the TL SH AWD, the steering is lighter and actually with the winter tires it's difficult to judge the limits (safe limits) of the car. If you want to take a curve fast, would you give full throttle in the middle of the curve and keeping it untill the end ? I think it's better like that, am i wright ?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know about full throttle, but definitely power thru the second half of the turn and feel the torque vectoring push you around.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought a '12 SH-AWD base. Try downshifting with the paddle shifters as you enter the turn, then giving it gas as you exit. You really move, man!
The following users liked this post:
Litt (01-12-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 09:04 PM

Thank you that was my feeling. And we can really feel the outside wheel pushing you back. It's fun. Even though i was not driving very fast, i notice that some people that like to follow you are surprised when you don't brake at all when turning, but too bad for them they don't have SH AWD , and suddenly they try to brake and maybe are a bit scared.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
That's right, power at the apex or mid way through the turn and all the way out. I would advise against coming into the turn too hot, maybe that would be better suited for something else. Preferrably smaller, lighter, RWD or at least RWD based, better weight distribution, etc.

TL SH can easily be just as capable (maybe more) but it's not as raw or as pure as the RWD experience and/or a car with a sportier intent, in most cases. Capable but in a different way. In general, it is harder to gauge the car's limits, it can usually take more than you can give it but it is not the most confidence inspiring experience and the winter tires are doing you no favors. Be safe and enjoy.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, lift off the gas before the curve and hit the gas midway. Its a great feeling and I find that SH-AWD is generally not very obtrusive - most often you think its your own driving skill and not the technology :-)

Out here, we've lots of roundabouts and driving the TL thru them is real fun. Only note of caution is not to overreach with speed.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
That's right, power at the apex or mid way through the turn and all the way out. I would advise against coming into the turn too hot, maybe that would be better suited for something else. Preferrably smaller, lighter, RWD or at least RWD based, better weight distribution, etc.

TL SH can easily be just as capable (maybe more) but it's not as raw or as pure as the RWD experience and/or a car with a sportier intent, in most cases. Capable but in a different way. In general, it is harder to gauge the car's limits, it can usually take more than you can give it but it is not the most confidence inspiring experience and the winter tires are doing you no favors. Be safe and enjoy.

as you said, it s difficult to gauge, and could be dangerous to try to find the limit. if you go above the limit may be it will be without warning. i mean some cars before sliding or loosing control gives you some signs. but others will slide suddenly, and don' t let you any chance to know it before it happens. sure there s VSA but it s not idiot proof i understand that
Old 01-12-2012, 05:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
It'll oversteer if you lift too late. It's a high limit for a big car on stock rubber, but there is a limit on entry speed. As soon as you feel the suspension releasing the load from the inside corners, back on the throttle (and then when you get a feel fo the car, you can even anticipate it and get back on it a little sooner).

Winter road temps aside, I find the clover-leaf style on-ramps are a good place to see how fast it'll stick before it starts to get away - and let it get away from you a little bit; even with the rear tires starting to sing, the SH-AWD keeps the car on line.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
I learned the hard way 2 weeks after i bought my 6mt. As some of you may remember my post back in October when i entered a round about too hot. I actually downshifted and stepped on the gas entering the roundabout.........big no no. The car slid sideways and broke my front rim, and damaged my rear rim, and a whole lot of parts. Total bill was $4k. I've learned my lesson. It may say SH-AWD, but it won't save you all the time. Gas it mid way and exiting the curve, not entering.
The following users liked this post:
sebounet2005 (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by sebounet2005
Thank you that was my feeling. And we can really feel the outside wheel pushing you back. It's fun. Even though i was not driving very fast, i notice that some people that like to follow you are surprised when you don't brake at all when turning, but too bad for them they don't have SH AWD , and suddenly they try to brake and maybe are a bit scared.
As winstrolvtec says, I never brake through a turn, I power through a turn when the conditions are appropriate, or glide through the turn. That's how I was taught to drive. As see a turn in the road, that may be 90 for example, I set up the approach speed, apex speed and exit speed. Making sure I'm being safe at all times. It's a lot of fun.

Hitting a turn too hot, no matter what the drivetrain, can at times result in a skid or worse.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:58 AM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
As winstrolvtec says, I never brake through a turn, I power through a turn when the conditions are appropriate, or glide through the turn. That's how I was taught to drive. As see a turn in the road, that may be 90 for example, I set up the approach speed, apex speed and exit speed. Making sure I'm being safe at all times. It's a lot of fun.

Hitting a turn too hot, no matter what the drivetrain, can at times result in a skid or worse.
Take your time to learn the car. Once you start driving it more you'll eventually learn the limits of your car and drive within the limits (most the time)
Old 01-12-2012, 12:24 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
This is a good topic for the show: "Top Gear"!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by eazy
Take your time to learn the car. Once you start driving it more you'll eventually learn the limits of your car and drive within the limits (most the time)
Agree. Take the car to the limit a little at a time.

Take the same curve over and over again. Each time go a little (I repeat "a little") faster. Once the limit is reached, the VSA will intervene and the dash light will start flashing. Then you know what the handling limit of your car is.

Remember I said "a little" faster each time; because if you go TOO fast, the tires will lost all traction, and no amount of advance electronic aid will prevent the sliding car from hitting something, until enough speed is scrubbed off and the tires regain traction again.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Good thread.

The time to power depends on the type of street and the weather conditions.

I like to downshift before the turn. It actually provides some ENGINE BREAKING which is a little more conservative. And then when you do feel the need to gas it there is no need to shift gears you are already there, so go.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Litt
Good thread.

The time to power depends on the type of street and the weather conditions.

I like to downshift before the turn. It actually provides some ENGINE BREAKING which is a little more conservative. And then when you do feel the need to gas it there is no need to shift gears you are already there, so go.
agree...use the MT. that's why we chose that transmission...to utilize the TLs power in such cases.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:23 PM
Intermediate

Hard on the brakes and load the weight on the front end then immediately accelerate through the turn... You'll be able to feel the rear wheels slip as you accelerate and you know you're at your limit, but the front wheels keep pulling you through...

If you try to coast into or accelerate prior to the turn you can get the "four wheel drift" which isn't very fun, as someone mentioned above...

And it you have the MT, the rear-end will get away from you pretty quick on wet surfaces, and the traction control offers more wiggle room than you're used to.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Learn the limits without VSA.... take it into a controlled skid and bring it back in.

Find a big open log a get some cones...

I you have the Tein SS with EDFC adjust the dampening and learn the effects of too much rear force vs too much front... play with tire pressure, etc...

Bottom line become one with your car.