Good time to buy 2013 TL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Good time to buy 2013 TL?

I have 2006 TSX with 131K miles. It is in fantastic condition. I was at my dealership last week to get a brochure on the TLs. They said they wanted my 06 TSX bad, would give me a great trade in price, would give me the loyalty discount, and give me a really good deal on a 13 TL. I have read about the TL being morphed into a TLX. I like the 13 TL body style though. I am okay with having a car that is about to be redesigned. The TSX was redesigned shortly after I got my 06, and I like that body style better than the redesign. I am due an oil change very soon and i just got a crack in my windshield.So before sinking money into these 2 things, I though about making a trade.

Do you guys think it is a good time for me to trade the 06 TSX in on a 13 TL? Is this the right time to get a very good deal?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2013, 09:14 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
dealers will say anything to put you in a newer car.

'13 TLs and '13 MDXs for that matter, are selling with pretty significant discounts and incentives not only for you, but the dealer as well.

if you're looking to upgrade and you're fine with the 4G TL design, then it's up to you to decide whether you're ready to buy.

will you get a deal?? yes. i recently read that someone just bought a '13 advance SHAWD for 38500. he haggled for a month and the dealer finally caved. deals are to be had depending on where you live.

good luck!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
What are you reasons for selling the TSX? Oil change being due and crack in the windshield are weak reasons. Best time to get a deal would be once they announce the new model and they have left overs on the lot. That being said, I got a pretty good deal two weeks ago for my '13 TL.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Camaro194
What are you reasons for selling the TSX? Oil change being due and crack in the windshield are weak reasons. Best time to get a deal would be once they announce the new model and they have left overs on the lot. That being said, I got a pretty good deal two weeks ago for my '13 TL.
I love my 06 TSX. The reason I would be considering getting a new car, is that I don't want the miles to pile up on my TSX and lose my value. Before I know it, I am afraid that I won't have much trade in value. I am not going to keep the TSX forever, so I thought while I still have some trade in value, it would be a good time to move on. The oil change and windshield are not reasons to get a new car, just reasons to make a decision BEFORE i pay for a new windshield and oil change. That's all. No point in spending that money if I was going to trade up. I am in Mississippi. I remember the service manager mentioning to me a few months ago that they were not selling many cars. So I just got to thinking that this is as good a time as any to at least look into it.

Last edited by skipreid; 03-13-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: correction
Old 03-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skipreid
I love my 06 TSX. The reason I would be considering getting a new car, is that I don't want the miles to pile up on my TSX and lose my value. Before I know it, I am afraid that I won't have much trade in value. I am not going to keep the TSX forever, so I thought while I still have some trade in value, it would be a good time to move on. The oil change and windshield are not reasons to get a new car, just reasons to made a decision BEFORE i pay for a new windshield and oil change. That's all. No point in spending that money if I was going to trade up. I am in Mississippi. I remember the service manager mentioning to me a few months ago that they were not selling many cars. So I just got to thinking that this is as good a time as any to at least look into it.

As TLtrigirl mentioned, they are discounting the TL's really good right now.

An AWD advance shouldnt be more than 40500 - Trade in + TTL - 1500 Loyalty Cash.

An AWD tech shouldnt be more than 38500 and same formula from above.

Granted it may be a different market where you are located, but you mentioned car sales were slow, so they should be offering the same as Texas.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Advanced

Really helpful information here. I am actually just looking at the FWD model with the Tech package. I have driven that one. I like the engine good enough and like the fuel economy for such a big car with power. Any idea what a good price would be for that model?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Camaro194
I can't think that deals will get much better when the TLX as they are discounting around $6K now, and if they should discount a little more then my guess is selection may be tight as the big discounts will come when the TLX starts being readily available. If you really want a 13 TL I really don't think the deals will get that much better especially if you can find what you want now.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Really helpful information here. I am actually just looking at the FWD model with the Tech package. I have driven that one. I like the engine good enough and like the fuel economy for such a big car with power. Any idea what a good price would be for that model?
I'd also consider you look at an Accord Touring, really sweet ride with more tech than a TL, unless audio is important as the ELS blows Accord away. You can shop around and get the Accord Touring for about $2800 off MSRP. IMO FWD vs. Accord Touring right now the Accord gets my vote,only if you want SH-AWD do I change that back to the TL. People in the Accord V6 are getting 25MPG+ combined and some are getting 30+.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Intermediate

I imagine the AWD has a little more markup, so they have a bigger discount. If not, then I figure 34-35 for the FWD Tech - Trade In + TTL - 1500 Loyalty Cash
Old 03-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by El Bro
As TLtrigirl mentioned, they are discounting the TL's really good right now.

An AWD advance shouldnt be more than 40500 - Trade in + TTL - 1500 Loyalty Cash.

An AWD tech shouldnt be more than 38500 and same formula from above.

Granted it may be a different market where you are located, but you mentioned car sales were slow, so they should be offering the same as Texas.
Hi... Newbie here....

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new TL SH-AWD Tech Auto.

I'm curious about what to expect for pricing... TrueCar (and similar sites) have the target price for a Tech around $40,500 plus TTL. You say it's that price for an Advance, which TrueCar has for another $2K. And you also include the $1500 loyalty discount.

So when I go in to negotiate... should I really expect to get a Tech Auto for around 38K?

Dealer invoice is around $41K. Are there some dealer incentives I don't know about?
Old 03-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

At least around here TLs are sitting on lots, same cars and then some. Especially AWD since in GA you have to want it for the handling. I was being offered AWD Advance for $40,500 and think I could do better if I really wanted to. There is $1500 loyalty cash and $1500 conquest cash so find a dealer with inventory that is stale and I bet he will give you a good price if you push. Shop around and don' be afraid to get quotes further away. I get quotes form up to 250 miles away because if they save me $500 or $1K it is worth the trip.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Intermediate

Dtrayers,

If you were going in to buy a car outright here in Houston without a trade, the price on a tech would be 38500 Plus TT&L Minus 1500 Loyalty. It would be roughly about 39900 walk out on an AWD Tech. The dealer said the 1500 comes out after TT&L is calculated it.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:14 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrayers
Hi... Newbie here....

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new TL SH-AWD Tech Auto.

I'm curious about what to expect for pricing... TrueCar (and similar sites) have the target price for a Tech around $40,500 plus TTL. You say it's that price for an Advance, which TrueCar has for another $2K. And you also include the $1500 loyalty discount.

So when I go in to negotiate... should I really expect to get a Tech Auto for around 38K?

Dealer invoice is around $41K. Are there some dealer incentives I don't know about?
true car is a good start....however deals are going to be had.

i researched for a friend who was buying a new CRV. looked at true cars to get an idea. they said the avg was around invoice. 2 of the 3 dealers we inquired at quoted us a price that was well below invoice. the one we went with beat the other dealer by another $300. my point is you really dont' know until you start inquiring with the internet sales people. tell them exactly what you want (color combo etc), and then let them play off each other. easy to do since honda dealers are everywhere. acura dealers maybe be tougher depending on where you live. if you're close to a metro area you'll have plenty of competition to play off each other. i have about 6 acura dealers within a 30 mile radius of me. one of which happens to be the "world's largest acura dealership" by sales volume. high volume dealers are willing to move inventory at a steal.

inquire via email...i would almost guarantee you'll have quotes within an hour. if not...then tough beans for them.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:55 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Only use TrueCar as a starting point. I just checked and a local So Cal dealer has 48 TL's in stock...which is a lot. Their web page is showing an average of about $4k off list which is similar to TrueCar prices. Actually, last year I got quotes from them and they were giving around $6k off list on TL's during the summer.
Like someone said, email them and you'll be surprised at the prices they give you. They need to sell TL's and as the year goes by the prices are going to start dropping.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:28 AM
Suzuka Master

I usually draft an email an send it to several dealers informing them of my intentions and what I am looking for. My current M37 I purchased without going to the particular dealer that had the car, I bought my 09 TL from out of state did the entire deal over the phone and they drove the car to where I agreed to pick it up, also did a Honda for the gf a few years ago same deal all over email and phone then just showed up to pick up car. Works well, although some dealers don't adopt this approach very well, but then that is their loss.
The following users liked this post:
ctsport (03-16-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 06:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but I bought my 2012 TL sh-awd 6MT last year for 35,995. Had to work a few dealers against each-other.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:47 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
The trade in value went down a lot since you have over 100k miles. It would be better if you tried to sell it yourself. A few years ago I was thinking of trading my 06 tsx with over 100k miles. Even tho the dealers said my car was in excellent condition they advised me to sell it on my own due to the high mileage. Decided to keep my tsx.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:26 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by probmxstyle
Not sure if this helps, but I bought my 2012 TL sh-awd 6MT last year for 35,995. Had to work a few dealers against each-other.
^^That was a good price. Can I ask, what time of the year did you purchase your TL? I'm guessing year end.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4
^^That was a good price. Can I ask, what time of the year did you purchase your TL? I'm guessing year end.
I purchased it in July actually.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:53 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
To the OP:
-Your TSX is worth in trade in (in excellent condition):
$7881 w/o Nav
$8181 w/Nav
according to KBB. If it's in fantastic condition as you indicated, it's likely good for many more miles assuming good maintenance, plus, it's a 4 cyl, so gas savings can be substantial depending on how much you drive. Whether or not you drive it, it's still going to depreciate.

I'd get the 2013 TL under the following circumstances:
-you're just tired of driving the TSX
-repair costs become substantial (a windshield replacement may cost $400 as a one time fee vs. making monthly car payments).
-the price to own one (don't forget sales tax in addition to potentially higher insurance costs on a newer car if yours doesn't have full coverage) won't 'bother' you and you can get a good deal (which is possible with current incentives)

The rationale for keeping the TSX:
-it's paid for, runs well, costs nothing other than routine maintenance, and you can see yourself driving it for the next few years.

As for me, I toy with the idea of trading up to new (my 06TL has 86,000 miles- relatively low for it's year) but then realize for the amount of driving I do monthly (now 400 miles per month), a new car doesn't make a whole lot of sense as mine is in excellent condition as well.

Just some financial food for thought.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:35 PM
KES
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would say keep driving the TSX and do the minor repairs as they come up. I am a fan of driving until they used up or you need a new vehicle for other reasons (kid, job, etc)

Insurance is lower, property tax is lower (if your state taxes cars) no sales tax on purchase (if applicable), less worries about dents and dings, plus it will only depreciate say $8K more. You could probably drive the car for another 100,000 and still get $3000 for it.

Start putting a monthly payment away and use it on the next car.

On the other hand ...life is short....buy the new car...or better yet keep driving the TSX and get a boxster, Z3, mustang etc

Cheers
Old 03-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KES
I would say keep driving the TSX and do the minor repairs as they come up. I am a fan of driving until they used up or you need a new vehicle for other reasons (kid, job, etc)

Insurance is lower, property tax is lower (if your state taxes cars) no sales tax on purchase (if applicable), less worries about dents and dings, plus it will only depreciate say $8K more. You could probably drive the car for another 100,000 and still get $3000 for it.

Start putting a monthly payment away and use it on the next car.

On the other hand ...life is short....buy the new car...or better yet keep driving the TSX and get a boxster, Z3, mustang etc

Cheers

Very good advice. I just want something a little bigger and heavier than my TSX. I drive in the rain a lot and am just tired of the lighter TSX. I have not done anything yet. Still thinking about it. I may wait to see what the TLX looks, specs, and prices are before I decide to do anything.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
If you're only interested in the 6AT TL, then yes I would wait until the TL(X) arrives. However, if you want a 6MT like myself, now is a really good time to buy. They are rare and they are selling them pretty cheap. I couldn't wait and bought the 6MT and just in love with it. Handles like a dream. Everything I was looking for, AWD, 6MT, the color combo, and the tech pack. If you test drive one, you just might buy it LOL.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Just using my credit union here is the price they show today, you would take $1500 loyalty or conquest on top of this for AWD Advance makes it $39,881 not a bad deal fora $46,280 car!

Your Estimated Customer Price and Savings based on your selected preferences:
Estimated Customer Price
$41,381
Old 03-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
^ Thats exactly what I paid for mine about 3 weeks ago; $41.3k.