Getting that itch...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 03:53 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Getting that itch...

So I've been "mildly" looking at some used 911s online this past. Always been a dream and goal of mine to own a 911, though I never been quite ready financially and even a little scared to own own.... But for some reason, not sure why, I'm getting that itch to own one.

Anyways, with the surprising support of the wife, I test drive a 04 996tt with an absolutely smoking exhaust this morning and aftermarket spoiler. Talk about awesome, this car was amazing in nearly every single way. Turbo was awesome with that push back in the seat feel, clutch feels good, shifter was easy to shift, steering was great, exhaust was loud/powerful sounding. My 4G TL doesn't even begin to compare to this monster.

Below is a pic I took of the vehicle I test drove:

We shall see what the future holds
Old 04-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Great ride, expensive repairs/maint. If I had unlimited money, I'd drive one again. But in terms of practicality, it's a dog.

SAVE YOUR MONEY
The following users liked this post:
614Banker (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
life is short, if you can manage it, go for it. What's the price tag?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by dip10
life is short, if you can manage it, go for it. What's the price tag?
+1. We only live once, and we can't take it with us.

It's a 2004 996tt x50. $55k but has 66k miles. Price is too high considering its mileage and year. Not sure how much wiggle room I have considering the dealership just received yesterday.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I subscribe to the "life is too short" philosophy also, but I've been scared off Porsches by my sister's Cayenne. She bought it CPO with at age 27 mos with 11K miles and there began a 3 year money pit ordeal where the slightest trip to the dealer meant a minimum $1,500 invoice. Her experience may have been the exception, but I've learned a lesson from her experience to never by a Porsche used, much less one that's gunning for 10 years in age. However, that's just me. At the end, you'll do what makes you happy and that's the way it should be.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by 614Banker
I subscribe to the "life is too short" philosophy also, but I've been scared off Porsches by my sister's Cayenne. She bought it CPO with at age 27 mos with 11K miles and there began a 3 year money pit ordeal where the slightest trip to the dealer meant a minimum $1,500 invoice. Her experience may have been the exception, but I've learned a lesson from her experience to never by a Porsche used, much less one that's gunning for 10 years in age. However, that's just me. At the end, you'll do what makes you happy and that's the way it should be.
My family and I have always stuck with Toyota/Lexus, and me Honda/Acura due to historical reliability.

But given the history with my current TL's issues, and comparing with the maintenance needed on the 911, the 996tt of all things is pretty reliable and well built; the turbo engine seems to be very well engineered and solid compared to its non turbo counterparts (which seems to have a relative issue with IMS and RMS issues). Based on my recent online research, aside from expensive synthetic oil changes and its required maintenance, it seems to be one of Porsche's more reliable models. Or at least it seems....
Old 04-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
It sounds like you have wanted one for a while. If you can get it for the right price.......why not?

As my buddy always says to me when im looking at a car..." BUY IT!"
Old 04-20-2013, 09:36 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Why not ? We only live once. Enjoy life, get what you want, and make the most out of it while we still can.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
IMHO, way too much for that many miles. I'd rather buy a brand new Boxster or Cayman. This will be a good weekend car, I just can't have one as a DD. If your budget allows, do it but look at other options too. Can't fall in love with the first Porsche you drive lol.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:21 AM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Docboy, a spanking new 662 HP 200+ mph Mustang Shelby GT500 comes at 55K....just saying.....and it is a bit more practical than a 911....

Last edited by saturno_v; 04-21-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:29 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by saturno_v
Docboy, a spanking new 662 HP 200+ mph Mustang Shelby GT500 comes at 55K....just saying.....and it is a bit more practical than a 911....

What a grocery getter!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 91 Posts
Always been a mustang fan i've had 6 of them,this is just bad ass!
Old 04-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I drove several models at the Porsche Road Show in 2011 at the Texas Motor Speedway
(this was just before new 911 was to arrive and they wanted to move the last year of the old models)

great fun

ck out the Porsche forums here at:

http://www.6speedonline.com

Last edited by crxb; 04-21-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:43 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts

Awesome GT500, you would be lucky to find one at MSRP. Most dealers mark these up big time..
Old 04-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
My family and I have always stuck with Toyota/Lexus, and me Honda/Acura due to historical reliability.

But given the history with my current TL's issues, and comparing with the maintenance needed on the 911, the 996tt of all things is pretty reliable and well built; the turbo engine seems to be very well engineered and solid compared to its non turbo counterparts (which seems to have a relative issue with IMS and RMS issues). Based on my recent online research, aside from expensive synthetic oil changes and its required maintenance, it seems to be one of Porsche's more reliable models. Or at least it seems....
I understand what you mean. Besides, looks like you've done your due dilligence concerning its reliability, so you know about it more than I do. I'll admit they are intriguing and quite tempting.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:42 PM

Sounds like a monster!

At this price and class point, I have conceived that I will be throwing practicality out the window, and that a 3rd car will need to be added to family (if I do decide to go with a 911).

Both the Mustang and the 911 have pathetic rear leg room; the Mustang coupe's has a nice sized rear trunk compared to the 911's scant front trunk, but I admittedly am going for the 911's driving dynamics (rear engine placement among other things) with AWD, esthetics, and class... all subjective of course. Besides, as someone mentioned, I always wanted one that I can drive instead of just gawking at online pics all day
Old 04-22-2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by crxb
I drove several models at the Porsche Road Show in 2011 at the Texas Motor Speedway
(this was just before new 911 was to arrive and they wanted to move the last year of the old models)

great fun

ck out the Porsche forums here at:

http://www.6speedonline.com
Thanks, signed up a few days ago. Great forum!
Old 04-22-2013, 04:17 PM
Banned

Sounds like a monster!

At this price and class point, I have conceived that I will be throwing practicality out the window, and that a 3rd car will need to be added to family (if I do decide to go with a 911).

Both the Mustang and the 911 have pathetic rear leg room; the Mustang coupe's has a nice sized rear trunk compared to the 911's scant front trunk, but I admittedly am going for the 911's driving dynamics (rear engine placement among other things) with AWD, esthetics, and class... all subjective of course. Besides, as someone mentioned, I always wanted one that I can drive instead of just gawking at online pics all day
If you are looking at an AWD option then it is a different story....yes if we lived in San Diego I would throw the AWD factor out of the window...but not in Seattle.

On the other side, if the 911 would not be your daily driver anyway, as you stated, why the need for AWD in the first place?? Get a cheap Subaru for work commute and grocery getting

Rear seat is pathetic in the Mustang given its size but I still believe is quite bigger than a 911.....in my last ride on a 911 compared to the Mustang I remember the latter being quite more comfortable.

Current Mustang driving dynamics are top notch.....this is a comparo done on the track by Motortrend with a regular Mustang GT and a BMW M3....and with the professional pilot actually liking the Mustang more....

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

Video with driving comments from the tester, race driver Randy Pobst

About class.....you do not need to get your GT500 orange with black stripes!! .....just get a nice subdued color and it will be less "in your face"....

If AWD is a must, for that kind of coin another option could be a younger GT-R compared to that '04 911.....I don't know but a 10 year old 911 would make me nervous....I would have nightmares about flying repair bills....

Last edited by saturno_v; 04-22-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
why dont you pick up a nice condition NSX?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Doc, I've always wanted a Lamborghini. I still look for a "steal" to this day.

But lately, I've had my eye on the new C7 Corvette Stingray.

Someone told me that for less money than the Lambo, I could get an American brand new car that costs a lot less to maintain.

I'm still considering it.....
Old 04-24-2013, 01:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I like it. If its something you always wanted buy one. That's what 3rd & 4th cars are all about. They can be impractial as all get out but so what, they are not required for DD duty. As for a Mustang or Camaro at the end of the day they are still Mustangs & Camaro's, pony cars. The Porsche is a GT car as in Grand Touring. A Grownup go fast car not a tricked out kids car.
The following users liked this post:
docboy (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Steven Bell

Someone told me that for less money than the Lambo, I could get an American brand new car that costs a lot less to maintain.

I posted in the other thread & was not to big on the C7 coupe but the C7 convert from its pictures has moved into a two way tie with an M4 coupe to replace the 335is next year. My last Vette was a StingRay, nice to see the nameplate back.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Steven Bell

Keep looking for that Lambo steal! Get what you want Steven, otherwise you'll regret it and will just keep looking and never be happy (wise words from the wifey). IMHO.

Even if a brand new American car costs less than maintain, it's still no Lambo.

While I was at the dealership looking at 911s, I saw an elderly man. He was probably in his late 60s, in a cane and wearing a nasal cannula, also checking out some 911s. I don't know anything about that person, but immediately I thought to myself, why wait until you are in that condition to get a Porsche?

Same thing applies with life; I just came back from a Caribbean cruise, and saw a few elderly couples in walkers, and they were first time cruisers. Why wait until you are at the stage?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by bear-avhistory
i like it. If its something you always wanted buy one. That's what 3rd & 4th cars are all about. They can be impractial as all get out but so what, they are not required for dd duty. as for a mustang or camaro at the end of the day they are still mustangs & camaro's, pony cars. The porsche is a gt car as in grand touring. A grownup go fast car not a tricked out kids car.
+1
Old 04-24-2013, 10:08 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Keep looking for that Lambo steal! Get what you want Steven, otherwise you'll regret it and will just keep looking and never be happy (wise words from the wifey). IMHO.

Even if a brand new American car costs less than maintain, it's still no Lambo.

While I was at the dealership looking at 911s, I saw an elderly man. He was probably in his late 60s, in a cane and wearing a nasal cannula, also checking out some 911s. I don't know anything about that person, but immediately I thought to myself, why wait until you are in that condition to get a Porsche?

Same thing applies with life; I just came back from a Caribbean cruise, and saw a few elderly couples in walkers, and they were first time cruisers. Why wait until you are at the stage?
^^ I agree and it sounds like you have to do this, no doubt you will enjoy it..

Worse case scenario, you enjoy the crap out of it and by some chance if you get it out of your system you can sell it in a couple of years. But at least you did it.

Good luck with your decision..
Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
docboy-

$55k is a lot of money for a car about to hit 70k miles... I owned a porsche boxster for a while... a far cry from a 911 turbo..but I got a taste for "german engineering" and repairs.. every time my boxter went in for a repair it was $500-1000.. and that happened enough.. my boxster only had 70k when I bought it, and I sold it by 75k... and my car passed a PPI inspection with flying colors before i bought it......

one saying I was repeatedly quoted by other Porsche owners is this:

"The cheapest Porsche to buy will be the most expensive to maintain" and I found that to be very true... there is a reason why that 996TT cost over $100k brand new but NOW is less than half of that... there is a reason why the original owner is seling it.. they don't want to deal with a 996TT out of warranty...

they do NOT make 911 turbos to be reliable, long lasting cars..they make them to go fast and perform well...and stuff will go bad and it WILL cost a lot to fix.

If you can buy the car with some kind of CPO or extended warranty that will honestly fix any repairs for some window of time - so that you had peace of mind that you won't get stuck with horrific repair bills for a few years.. that would be nice.

For that kind of money, you could easily get into a BARELY used, ALMOST new, Boxster S or Cayman S... which honestly, is more fun to drive than the 911. I"ve driven 911s, not a turbo...but I have driven a 996...they are bigger feeling cars, not as tossable. they are faster...but not more fun. I see you live in a snowy area..so you may not be really wanting a drop top..but I live in so cal where it's sunny 90% of the year..and here a converible is pure joy. everyone shoudl own a convertible at least once in their lives... it is so much fun. handling wise, a boxster or cayman will feel like a go cart.. the 911 won't.

the 911 is the iconic status symbol of Porsches..but if you read the car mags and talk to people who are in the know - they will tell you that when it comes to bang for the buck and fun to drive factor - a "lowly" boxster is way more fun anda better buy than a 911. if you want to drag race people... get a 996TT..but if you want to tear up twisty roads, get the cayman or boxster.

if you have already driven one, and don't like them, i understand. but if you haven't driven one.. you owe it to yourself to try one and consider the "cheaper" Porsches.. in many ways they are better.. and if you are going to drp about $50-55k on a car... i suspect you could find a really really nice one that WOULD have a warranty, and you would just drive it, enjoy it, and not worry about what if the motor caps out, what if the turbos crap out...

if you have no warranty and the motor on your 996TT fails.. you might as well take out a second mortgage on your house... ;(

but.. all the people saying "you only live once".. are so very true. Life is very short. If you have always wanted a car like this - and it has to be a 911 - and you have the funds to do it - more power to you. A lot of people want a car like that their whole lives and can never have it.. and if you can get it - go for it.. just be ready for some repairs.

is this going to be a weekend toy and you will DD the TL, or are you seling the TL and going to a 66k mileage 996TT as a daily driver.???

BTW - that 911 you test drove looks absolutely beautiful. I totally understand why you want to buy it. I woudl want to buy it too if I had $55k to buy a toy with...

if you buy it, please post pictures and videos for us all to drool over..

Last edited by 23109VC; 04-24-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
As for a Mustang or Camaro at the end of the day they are still Mustangs & Camaro's, pony cars. The Porsche is a GT car as in Grand Touring. A Grownup go fast car not a tricked out kids car.

Bear

From your comments it seems to me you did not drive yet one of the latest models or at least "the good ones"....the only negative on the current Mustang and Camaro is the finishing which is a bit rough to keep the price accessible....and I understand that for someone it is a deal breaker.....I find the fit and finish acceptable int he Mustang, a bit less in the Camaro.
As far as dynamics and performance go, they are every bit as good as any European GT in the same power/size class......the 60's and 70's pony car with lousy handling are long gone my friend.....
Old 04-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
Bear

From your comments it seems to me you did not drive yet one of the latest models or at least "the good ones"....the only negative on the current Mustang and Camaro is the finishing which is a bit rough to keep the price accessible....and I understand that for someone it is a deal breaker.....I find the fit and finish acceptable int he Mustang, a bit less in the Camaro.
As far as dynamics and performance go, they are every bit as good as any European GT in the same power/size class......the 60's and 70's pony car with lousy handling are long gone my friend.....
front engine RWD vs rear engine RWD, its just a different dynamic. I have family with a 2004 911 vert... driven it a bunch... Very raw feeling car. Different feeling than say a Benz 500SL which is more a refined performance cruising sportscar.

The benz was slightly less impractical as you could fit a set of golf clubs in the trunk... I would never purchase a car that couldn't fit a set of golf clubs... One of the reasons I am in a TL rather than a G37xS coupe...
Old 04-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Booya4139
front engine RWD vs rear engine RWD, its just a different dynamic. I have family with a 2004 911 vert... driven it a bunch... Very raw feeling car. Different feeling than say a Benz 500SL which is more a refined performance cruising sportscar.

The benz was slightly less impractical as you could fit a set of golf clubs in the trunk... I would never purchase a car that couldn't fit a set of golf clubs... One of the reasons I am in a TL rather than a G37xS coupe...
I agree, obviously Mustang and 911 are different beasts (however the 911 is the only rear outboard engine GT on the road, an architecture I'm not particularly fan of) ...I was answering to Bear general statement about "tricked up cars"...the current Mustang and Camaro are very competent and balanced on the road, beautiful to look at and very fast.....the only downside is the fit and finish not up to the German or Japanese standard....but you get a big discount for that......your choice....
Old 04-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
I agree, obviously Mustang and 911 are different beasts (however the 911 is the only rear outboard engine GT on the road, an architecture I'm not particularly fan of) ...I was answering to Bear general statement about "tricked up cars"...the current Mustang and Camaro are very competent and balanced on the road, beautiful to look at and very fast.....the only downside is the fit and finish not up to the German or Japanese standard....but you get a big discount for that......your choice....
The new mustang is an incredible car... Im not a fan of the whole retro thing and am excited to see the 2015 that will go modern design and be sold around the world.

I saw that M3/Mustang GT comparo, and it held its own very well.

The idea you can throw a reliable supercharger setup on a GT and get absurd #'s is definitely attractive. Much more so to me than a factory TT setup.

The mustang is a car you customize to your own specs and desired function. The 911 isn't that type of car.

I think i'd look at something like a lotus Elise/Exige if you want that raw go kart feel. Think you'd find more reliability in that direction.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Suzuka Master

I have driven a few at a Ford expo a year or so back & IMHO the best all round is the Boss Laguna Seca...still overall a kids or wannaBe kids car with all the slots scoops & dress up stuff tacked on the basic secretary's car.

Lots of guys buying them now that missed them the first time around in High School. I didn’t miss them when I was a kid so no need to do retro cars. Beside if you want to play retro car the Camero ZL1 is a lot more balanced on a road course then a Mustang.

Would do a Porsche in the drop of a hat before a Mustang.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-24-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Banned

I have driven a few at a Ford expo a year or so back & IMHO the best all round is the Boss Laguna Seca...still overall a kids or wannaBe kids car with all the slots scoops & dress up stuff tacked on the basic secretary's car.

Lots of guys buying them now that missed them the first time around in High School. I didn’t miss them when I was a kid so no need to do retro cars. Beside if you want to play retro car the Camero ZL1 is a lot more balanced on a road course then a Mustang.

Would do a Porsche in the drop of a hat before a Mustang.
Bear....the Mustang only "wants to be" a.....Mustang.....it is a myth on its own....no need to be "wanna be" about anything else...

I never thought of even the basic Mustang being a "secretary car"....maybe you are confused with a Chevy Malibu

There is nothing distastefully "tacked" on the most powerful versions compared to the basic models....no more characterization than, let's say, an M5 compared to a basic 528i

Interesting how on European car forums (I'm Italian) people over there lust at our pony cars...as someone says, "the grass is always greener on the other side"
Old 04-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Which part of the overdone front end do you think adds to the basic lines of the car? Maybe the hood pins & lanyards for quick fluid checks? No wait, that can’t be it, the car still has the normal hood latch & hinges
Old 04-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Banned

Which part of the overdone front end do you think adds to the basic lines of the car? Maybe the hood pins & lanyards for quick fluid checks? No wait, that can’t be it, the car still has the normal hood latch & hinges

The GT 500 does not come with the hood pins & lanyards....that particular owner put them on and I do not like it either....it is not something coming from Ford....

Here you can compare the basic V6 Mustang with the GT 500 as they come from Ford

As you can see the only real differences are the beefier tires, different slotting on the front bumper, the rear spoiler and the functional air scoop on the hood for the supercharger.

The stripes can be removed by the dealer.

Last edited by saturno_v; 04-24-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Not going to hijack the thread. Will just say it just shouts "I wish I had one in high school" & I would have not interest in it.

NYT "But even this car’s target audience of boomers and blue collars may be a bit disappointed in this super ’Stang"

Read more

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/au...ELBY.html?_r=0

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-24-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:44 PM

Somehow my thread got derailed from a 911 to a Mustang, lol....

The Mustang to me does not invoke passion or desirability. It's always been a "pony" car. Lots of power for the price. Reminds me of high school jocks trying to impress. I haven't driven the new Mustang, so I don't know how it feels.

I don't view the Mustang and the 911 as in the same class.

But I have described a little of my driving impressions of the 911tt. Tremendous power, awesome 2nd gear pull. The entire vehicle feels tight and nimble, connected to your body; the steering has excellent road feedback, the clutch feels great, the accelerator has the right amount of sensitivity, the shifter shifts smoothly with feel. Brakes have excellent feel, and the ride feels stable and composed, the Carerra more so than the tt. Overall the 911 has a very "visceral" feel. My wife, who is a Lexus and comfort ride snob, even said the 911's ride feels better than my TL's "bumpy and nauseous ride." Surprisingly she has given me the thumbs up and go ahead to check out and acquire a 911.

My TL 6MT, a sound vehicle in its own right, does not even begin compare to the 911's driving dynamics. The TL feels tight and solid, but also drives "largely mid-sized" and is not nimble due to its large proportions. The EPS steering has zero feedback and feel, the clutch has no feel, accelerator is either all or nothing, ride is flinty and bumpy, and the shifter (even with my recent 3rd gear set replacement) is notchy and uneven.

Bottom line, the 4G TL is a fine car, worthy comparison to that of the S4 and 335. But when it comes to driving dynamics and that "wow and grin factor" the 911 has it, the TL does not.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Just get a really good PPI & if it OK enjoy your new toy.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Somehow my thread got derailed from a 911 to a Mustang, lol....

The Mustang to me does not invoke passion or desirability. It's always been a "pony" car. Lots of power for the price. Reminds me of high school jocks trying to impress. I haven't driven the new Mustang, so I don't know how it feels.

I don't view the Mustang and the 911 as in the same class.

But I have described a little of my driving impressions of the 911tt. Tremendous power, awesome 2nd gear pull. The entire vehicle feels tight and nimble, connected to your body; the steering has excellent road feedback, the clutch feels great, the accelerator has the right amount of sensitivity, the shifter shifts smoothly with feel. Brakes have excellent feel, and the ride feels stable and composed, the Carerra more so than the tt. Overall the 911 has a very "visceral" feel. My wife, who is a Lexus and comfort ride snob, even said the 911's ride feels better than my TL's "bumpy and nauseous ride." Surprisingly she has given me the thumbs up and go ahead to check out and acquire a 911.

My TL 6MT, a sound vehicle in its own right, does not even begin compare to the 911's driving dynamics. The TL feels tight and solid, but also drives "largely mid-sized" and is not nimble due to its large proportions. The EPS steering has zero feedback and feel, the clutch has no feel, accelerator is either all or nothing, ride is flinty and bumpy, and the shifter (even with my recent 3rd gear set replacement) is notchy and uneven.

Bottom line, the 4G TL is a fine car, worthy comparison to that of the S4 and 335. But when it comes to driving dynamics and that "wow and grin factor" the 911 has it, the TL does not.
Docboy, that just ain't right! LOL. It's not even fair comparing the TL to a 911. C'mon man! TL has no shot. It's a Porsche! It's apparent you no longer have an interest in the TL and the idea of owning a TL as a DD and particality while also giving you driving enjoyment for the enthusiast on a budget friendly price is out the window. You want to have your dream car and enjoy the finer things in life. I hope you find the car you want and not dead set on this particular one without shopping around for other 911s yet. I know there's better deals out there; just gotta be patient and keep looking. GL and keep us posted!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Banned

Not going to hijack the thread. Will just say it just shouts "I wish I had one in high school" & I would have not interest in it.

NYT "But even this car’s target audience of boomers and blue collars may be a bit disappointed in this super ’Stang"

Read more

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/au...ELBY.html?_r=0
Closing the off topic....the article you posted is the old GT 500 (it is from 2006) from then it has improved a lot....finally, some high schoolers may have had very old used Mustangs and other older pony cars, I do not believe a new muscle was in the reach of your typical teen ager, not now and not 40 years ago.....off topic closed.

Docboy

Obviously a TL cannot be even remotely compared to a 911, different price, segment, performance...I cannot imagine two cars more opposite than these two....even if I do not agree with your wife preference for the 911 ride for comfort...on a long trip I would take the TL any time over a 911, obviously is not a Porsche fault, the car has been designed with a different mission..

Best of luck to you and make sure that 911 is properly and exhaustively checked before taking the jump and obviously, if possible, get an extended warranty at least covering the most important mechanical parts.......congratulation and enjoy!!!

P.S.

You may want to get your shifter checked again by Acura, it should be anything but notchy and uneven....it is one of the best "row your own" stick in the business.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I said this in the other thread too but keep looking for a 997 Turbo!!!

Quick Reply: Getting that itch...