First items of business for new '12 TL SH-AWD Adv owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First items of business for new '12 TL SH-AWD Adv owners

1. I've ordered the front and back set of WeatherTech DigitalFit floormats.
2. Ordered the WeatherTech trunk liner as well.
3. I have splash guards installed.
4. Tinting has been scheduled.

Are there updates to the software/navigation system that I should be considering?

Updates to GraceNote?

Thoughts on clear bra?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
I can comment on the clear bra. I bought my car CPO (sight unseen, long story) and it came with the clear bra. Upon taking delivery I noticed there were a ton of scratches on it. Unfortunately I've added some more when trying to remove bugs during washing. The material is very soft and scratches easily, and as a result looks like crap. However, I'm sure it has saved me from a ton of rock chips since I'm mostly on the highway. I do plan on having it removed before too long because those stratches drive me nuts!

If you decide to pull the trigger, just make sure you remove the dead bugs in a timely manner and be gentle. Also, when waxing stay away from the edges of the bra! Wax gets caught in there and is a bitch to get out. I recommend taping it off with painters tape beforehand.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
You also might consider the Aero Kit/Ground Effects kit.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by DrShaw
1. I've ordered the front and back set of WeatherTech DigitalFit floormats.
2. Ordered the WeatherTech trunk liner as well.
3. I have splash guards installed.
4. Tinting has been scheduled.

Are there updates to the software/navigation system that I should be considering?

Updates to GraceNote?

Thoughts on clear bra?

Post pics of WX tech trunk liner after install..jhmo the OEM one is pure junk
Old 10-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I found the stock gas-clutch-brake pedal spacing difficult to shift. So I got a wider gas pedal installed. I haven't had a problem since the fix.

Last edited by Little Gator; 10-10-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:30 AM
6th Gear

I will be picking up a new TL SH-AWD in a few weeks and I'm really considering the factory ground effects kit. Looks pretty good on the cars that I've seen on this site.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:43 AM
10th Gear

Get a radar detector and hardware kit. I've got mine placed right below the right side of the driver's side sun visor. It's worth the money for a good one to rest easier for daily driving and long highway trips.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:46 AM
4th Gear

Here is a picture of the OEM trunk liner vs the WeatherTech trunk liner. The only advantage the OEM liner has over the WeatherTech is it covers the upper shelf and goes higher on the upper sides for better coverage. It doesn't fit the parts it covers as well as the WeatherTech though. I didn't know my new car was coming with the trunk liner or I probably wouldn't have bought the WeatherTech. If anybody is interested I can sell you the WeatherTech liner for $75 + shipping. I just paid over $100 for it and I haven't even used it other than to take this picture so you could see it installed. I don't see any sense in keeping both and figure I'll have better luck reselling the WeatherTech.

Related question: Anybody notice that the weathertech mat that covers the back seat doesn't quit fit right over the middle hump. Mine is installed, but it's slightly higher than the hump causing a gap in between the hump and the bottom of the cover. The cover seems raised just an inch or two too high?
Old 10-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DrShaw
Here is a picture of the OEM trunk liner vs the WeatherTech trunk liner. The only advantage the OEM liner has over the WeatherTech is it covers the upper shelf and goes higher on the upper sides for better coverage. It doesn't fit the parts it covers as well as the WeatherTech though. I didn't know my new car was coming with the trunk liner or I probably wouldn't have bought the WeatherTech. If anybody is interested I can sell you the WeatherTech liner for $75 + shipping. I just paid over $100 for it and I haven't even used it other than to take this picture so you could see it installed. I don't see any sense in keeping both and figure I'll have better luck reselling the WeatherTech.

[IMG]ttps://www.inboundcs.com/chase/OEM1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]ttps://www.inboundcs.com/chase/WeatherTech1.jpg[/IMG]

Related question: Anybody notice that the weathertech mat that covers the back seat doesn't quit fit right over the middle hump. Mine is installed, but it's slightly higher than the hump causing a gap in between the hump and the bottom of the cover. The cover seems raised just an inch or two too high?
That WeatherTec mat looks nice. The TL mat does indeed cover the top deck on the SH-AWD models, but the installation instructions actually call for that top part to be cut off.

I would probably avoid the clear bra as well. I had a loaner TL from the dealership a few weeks back and and it did not wear well...there were multiple spots where the plastic was torn and didn't look very good.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
I have a clear bra on my 2011. I have almost 30K miles on it. I have a few spots where I probably would have had a rock chip, but if I did not have the clear bra I would have tons of rock chips. Without the clear bra I would probably be considering having the front bumper painted (which would never match right). I wouldn't even consider a car with a huge front bumper like the TL without a clear bra.

I need to get the WeatherTec mats - maybe this winter...