Factory defect in paint, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:56 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory defect in paint, need advice

Hey everyone as you can see I am new to the boards. Recently had a bad string of luck. First, I have a 2010 certified Acura TL with tech pack. here is what happened...

I was out of town to visit my g pa and two random kids decided to take rocks and scratch every panel of my car. they were 5 and 7 years old. So i go through the hassle with insurance and when they go to paint it what do they find......defect in factory paint. So i take it to the dealership and they tell me sure enough thats what happened. they are offering to paint my entire car and give me a loaner. My problem is how did this pass the cert test and they are going to have to take the entire car apart. Has this happend to anyone else? From what the rep said, they knew it happened but didnt issue a recall. they only deal with it if its brought up by a customer. Should I get an attorney? At this point I would rather them just buy the car back. I dont want to be without it and I dont want it taken apart becuase it would never be the same. Thoughts? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Autofahrer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
What's the color of your car?
Old 12-07-2011, 03:04 PM
6th Gear

sorry forgot that, its black. according to Acura, they had a bad batch of them during the painting process. it seems from other sites and posts that I have seen that some gas got trapped under a layer of paint. it has what looks like goosebumps all over the car. well, except for the parts that were paitned somewhere else.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Guess those kids were doing you a favor. Sounds like you've got questions that the dealership should be answering.
Let us know what they say/do.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:09 PM
6th Gear

thanks for the reply. i have been on the phone with corp and the dealership who keep telling me to call the other one. I call the dealership and they tell me to call corp. I asked them how it got past CPO test and he said i dont know call corp. of course they are in Chicago and tried to bully me! haha! I told him that corp said to talk to them about returning it and he said no way. I am pissed that I have to drive a CPO vehicle that has to be taken totally apart, i have to be without for months, and will now have a carfax that says it was repainted. that will make the value of the car go down, when the reason I bought it in the first place was the resale value. well that and its badass. i see that other people got comp for their trouble, like money or extra factory parts. if they are suppose to be known for custormer service, why am i getting the run around? its not my fault that they screwed up the factory paint. oh, and the salesman says to me....well why didnt you notice it when you bought it. i told him that Acura said you wouldnt notice it unless you were an expert and i would think that you guys would be since you sold it CPO. he says, they are lying to you. hahahaha! always something when you buy a car!
Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Buyer beware CPO or not. It is easy to overlook this critical stuff, but the salesman is right, you spent big $$$ and assumed that it was perfect. I looked our CPO TL over hard and still failed to notice the driver door trim miss-alignment which was common on the first several thousand vehicles Honda made.
Cars get repainted often and are better for it. You will inspect it with a fine tooth comb this time right?

Keep it factory and it will be fine.
I had a friend who let an idiot in the driver seat of his 2010 Dodge Viper ACR. The guy drove it into and through a cattle fence and the entire car had to be resprayed. Unfortunately he painted it purple metallic, it looked incredible, but one does not repaint a Viper anything other than what it was new. It will cost him, big time, when he sells it.
Remember, you drive a $30k TL.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...5#post13409675