Eating crow - but only a side order, not a whole damn entree

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:56 AM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Wink Eating crow - but only a side order, not a whole damn entree

Most of you guys know I've tried to express in a civil manner that I hate the new design of the 4G TL and that the grill was a horrific addition to an otherwise decent car. I remember back when I first laid eyes on the 3G TL, I had to have it - this after having waited to buy a G35 for about a year or so. After seeing the 3G, it only took me a few minutes to say "screw the G35, I'm getting a TL!"

That 3G TL that I bought in October of 2003 has about 107,000 miles on it now, and I don't plan on getting rid of it for another 20-40k miles, but I eagerly awaited the arrival of the 4G TL. Well as I stated, I was underwhelmed to the point of asking "wth were they thinking?" repeatedly... while driving... while watching tv... while at work... while eating... while sleeping... while contemplating life on the toilet... etc. Despite this I always said, I may hate it, but I'll reserve judgment until I see it firsthand.

I had some time during my lunchbreak yesterday, so I decided to go to a nearby Acura dealer and check out one of the 2 '09 TL's they had. They both were the same color (that charcoal/gray color - can't remember the name) and one had been sold. I don't know if it was just the lighting or what, but the car did not look as bad as in pics online. The shield actually seemed to look pretty decent with this color. I mean yeah, the thing stuck out like Carrot Top on Showtime at the Apollo, but it was fairly tasteful. The giant lights on the bumper (that are just a bigger target for rocks to hit) looked pretty good. The rear? Not bad at all. That hideous wheel hump? It didn't stick out on this car. The interior was pretty nice, too, even though I couldn't sit in it since it was sold and the other one was being driven around somewhere. There is a sense of toughness and rugged stance the front of the car gave me that no pic ever showed me - especially around the hood and headlights. There was depth to the front instead of looking like a damn cartoon Transformers vehicle that I kept seeing in pics. Again, all this was under interior lighting that could possibly make Rosie O'Donnell do-able, so who knows. I didn't bother driving one since I'd be looking for an SH-AWD model anyway.

That being said, it still didn't pull me in like the 3G did. Could I buy it and drive it? Possibly. Am I gaga over it? Definitely not. But I'll be one of the ones to admit that this car wasn't as ugly in person as in pics and when I buy a new car in the next 1-2 years (or more... knock on wood), it'll be on the short list. I'm currently waiting on them to get more colors in which should be by the end of the week as I understand it. I'm eager to see it in black. Some of you that are on the fence may want to go check it out. Others of you that think it's the spawn of Satan probably won't be swayed.

BTW, I saw one of the new RL's there and hell, even that didn't look as hideous as I thought it did in some pics. It was also a similar gray color.

Last edited by Rocketsfan; 09-30-2008 at 03:00 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:23 AM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so far on the new line up, the tsx looks GREAT. very nice exterior design over the 1st gen. its pretty obvious to me that the 2nd gen is "sexier" even with the grill.. the grill actually works.

rl and tl, acura seemed to have failed somehow. it doesn't look as good for both rl and tl. but on the bright side, sh-awd performance is steller. tech pack looks ridiculously nice. so acura is still "advancing" forward offering more for the money. just came short on the exterior design.... maybe the aspec kit will help? i mean 3rd gen with no drop and no kit looks pretty ugly imo.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:46 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
The 3G was such a great design, it's hard for any new TL to be totally accepted. Besides the looks my concern is the larger size, I want smaller, (a coupe would be ideal).
But this is no where as disappointing as when the great Legend Coupes were discontinued in 95 and the 96? CL came out as the 'replacement', Many coupe lovers never came back to Acura. That was crying time.