Differential Refill/Drain Plug TSB

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 03:51 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Differential Refill/Drain Plug TSB

I was about to change my diff fluid today but didn't have enough ground clearance to use my breaker bar to snap the fill bolt loose. That sucker is on there tight. I learned there is a TSB for stripped threads on the drain and/or refill plug and apparently the fix is to buy a kit to cut new threads and install a helicoil. Has anyone run into this issue? Re-threading the fill plug doesn't even look possible with the rear cross member in the way. Plus wouldn't metal shavings get into the diff? Sounds like a nightmare.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:12 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine was really tight too... especially if its the first time cracking it open. After laying on the ground pumping dead-dino-lube in by hand...I decided to let the dealer do it next time.

Haggle with them, they know its a brainless easy as hell task, that is being over charged. They can cut you a break if your doing other services as well. Last go around I did Oil, Trans, Hypoid (Front dif), Rear dif. $180.00 all together.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by mossman77
I was about to change my diff fluid today but didn't have enough ground clearance to use my breaker bar to snap the fill bolt loose. That sucker is on there tight. I learned there is a TSB for stripped threads on the drain and/or refill plug and apparently the fix is to buy a kit to cut new threads and install a helicoil. Has anyone run into this issue? Re-threading the fill plug doesn't even look possible with the rear cross member in the way. Plus wouldn't metal shavings get into the diff? Sounds like a nightmare.
The fill and drain bolts are not supposed to be on there that tightly!

Easiest thing to do is use a socket wrench with an 6" extension on it and then hopefully have a wall or something nearby. Put you feet on the wall and while laying on the ground with your hands on the socket wrench simply push against the socket wrench and you can use the strength from your knees to get the bolt open. I don't recommend bracing your feet against the tire or suspension components.

That's how I had to do the MDX's after the dealer tightened it to hell!

Also you can buy a actual fluid pump that looks like a bike pump with two hoses coming out of it (it's bright orange/red colored) from harbor freight or most auto stores for less than $7. I've used one for power steering, diff oil, atf, etc. Works very well, just be sure to clean it out after using it properly.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:39 AM
Pro

I'm doing the fluid change myself. I already have the fluid and a pump. I'm going to have the shop crack it loose when I have my car in for an alignment. The purpose of my post was to solicit feedback in the TSB and whether anyone has experienced damaged threads on their fill or drain plug that needed re-threading.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
u think buying one of these will help get it off?

Milwaukee M18 FUEL 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless 1/2 in. Cordless High Torque Impact Wrench with Friction Ring (Bare Tool)-2763-20 - The Home Depot
Old 04-21-2016, 01:55 PM
Pro

No flippin way. There is no room to fit an impact in there. Maybe a right angle impact will fit, but I'm not going to spend the money just to crack to bolts loose. I'll have the shop do it when I get the vehicle aligned next week. After that, I will torque them properly and hopefully won't need to have someone do it again. If so, no biggie. It's only every 60,000 miles.