Despite nay-sayers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Despite nay-sayers...

I think the nay-sayers of next gen TL should look at this article, taken from Honda's media room:

TORRANCE, Calif. - 06/03/2008

In its first full month of sales, the all-new 2009 Acura TSX posted its best month in the model's history with 4,564 units sold- topping the previous mark of 3,911 set in April of 2006. So strong are TSX sales that for the first time ever, it topped the monthly sales of TL and MDX. Acura sales for May were 14,893 units, down 9.9 percent based on Daily Selling Rate* while year-to-date sales totaled 65,458 units, down 13.8 percent compared to 2007.

"Even the luxury market appears to be taking a hard look at high fuel prices," said Dick Colliver, executive vice president of sales. "Record sales of the all-new 2009 TSX indicate that its combination of a powerful and efficient i-VTEC® 4-cylinder engine, bold styling and Acura's trademark driving character are what the market desires."

Eclipsing the previous best-ever TSX monthly sales record by 16.7 percent and shattering the previous May total by 53.7 percent, the totally redesigned 2009 TSX is proving popular right off the start. The all-new 2009 TSX is larger, more agile and more luxurious than ever before, raising the standards significantly for Acura's entry-level sedan. Major advances in handling, interior comfort, customer-relevant technology and safety features all contribute to the new TSX's appeal. Moreover, the TSX's improvements in fuel economy, along with a reduction in emissions are especially important considering today's high fuel prices. Strong initial sales of the 2009 TSX indicate that smart packaging and good fuel economy are of increasing importance to consumers.

The second-best selling Acura model in May was the TL performance luxury sedan, with 4,294 units. In addition, Acura light-truck sales for the MDX luxury SUV were 4,277 units, while the turbocharged RDX crossover SUV sold 1,368 units.

For media information and high-resolution photos of all Acura vehicles, please visit www.acuranews.com. For consumer information, please visit www.acura.com.

*The daily selling rate is calculated with 27 selling days for May 2008 versus 26 selling days for May 2007. Year-to-date sales based on 129 days for 2008 versus 127 days for 2007.

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/793/releases/4529

I think this also has to do with Acura's efforts in marketing. I don't know about elsewhere around the U.S but here in So Cal I see the Acura nameplate from college sports to large wall murals and magazines. I'll take this as good news
Old 06-06-2008, 12:31 PM
2024 TLX Type-S

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm happy for Acura and their positive outlook and solid numbers. Doesn't change the fact that I think, at least based on the spyshots thus far, that the 4G TL looks like total garbage, though.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I think the whole i-vtec 4 cyl tsx is great and plenty for what people need use the TSX for...but I would still take an 07 or 08 TSX over an 09 TSX any day of the week..just because of my personal opinion of how the car handles and car looks.
Yes the 2nd gen might have better interior features but the exterior styling has turned me off of it forever.
Just like the old accord sedan had the saggy butt taillights...it just never grows on you...thank goodness they updated the taillights to the better shaped LED look eventually.
Hopefully the TL surprises us all but me personally don't think I will give it a second look if it resembles the 09 RL or 09 TSX. Sorry Acura but I'd rather drive a civic si.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:48 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I like the new TSX I would get one if it offered the J32 motor, otherwise its too slow for me. But notice the article mentions how the TSX offers better gas mileage, handling, and performance than the previous model, the TL won't be able to get better gas mileage, look at the EPA ratings for the 8th gen Accord v6 they're awful.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Eoanou
I like the new TSX I would get one if it offered the J32 motor, otherwise its too slow for me. But notice the article mentions how the TSX offers better gas mileage, handling, and performance than the previous model, the TL won't be able to get better gas mileage, look at the EPA ratings for the 8th gen Accord v6 they're awful.
I think they try to make the 2gen sound so much better than the 1 gen but its not.
Yes they say it offers 1mpg better...big whoop! Thats nothing probably just rounded up their old epa mileage.
Also they say better handling. I personally think thats bull. My stock 07 seems alot more agile and peppy than the oversized bloated 09 tsx I test drove.
I think its just a marketing ploy...and it seems like alot of the population fell for it.
I know everybody has their own opinion of a car..but it seems most car magazine test drives agree with me (also some other fellow tsxers)

I do totally agree with you on the 8th gen accord though!
my neighbor gets 24 highway with her 08 v6 accord compared to my 30 highway in my 01 Cl-S...I'll keep my little 3.2L even if its 8-12 less hp.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Pro

I wonder if they are really breaking those TSX sales out between the old and new model. The old model has been flying out of the dealers around here as fast as they can prep them for delivery. The new ones are sitting. Like all new models, those 'gotta have' people are buying .. then it will fall flat
Old 06-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Instructor

I guess my point is whether or not we'll all appreciate the next gen, it'll still sell nonetheless. I suppose the TSX is selling well because it does offer the most for the buck + mpg in its segment. I don't know if the TL will fare as well
Old 06-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by NTP66
I'm happy for Acura and their positive outlook and solid numbers. Doesn't change the fact that I think, at least based on the spyshots thus far, that the 4G TL looks like total garbage, though.
And this is the same response every one had with the spy photos of the 3rd gen in the 2nd gen forum.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wonder if the RDX is selling better than the EX. When I worked at Infiniti, we had almost 50 in stock and it was almost impossible to sell that turd.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:06 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JJaber06
I wonder if the RDX is selling better than the EX. When I worked at Infiniti, we had almost 50 in stock and it was almost impossible to sell that turd.
.................May................. YTD
EX ............ 1,201 ...........5,211
RDX ..........1,368............7,989
X3 ............ 2,125...........8,092
RDX is a better seller by a small margin.

I wonder if the sales figure include older 08 TSXs as well.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:02 PM
2024 TLX Type-S

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
And this is the same response every one had with the spy photos of the 3rd gen in the 2nd gen forum.
"Everyone" is quite an exaggeration. Unless the body changes drastically from the spy shots, which I stated in my initial post, I don't foresee my opinion changing.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JJaber06
lol i completely forgot about the infiniti EX. I've seriously never seen one on the road yet at all. But i've seen the Nissan Rouge a few times, which is the same as the EX.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by NTP66
"Everyone" is quite an exaggeration. Unless the body changes drastically from the spy shots, which I stated in my initial post, I don't foresee my opinion changing.
It was probably the exact same of nay sayers and speculators as the 3rd gens are to the 4th
Old 06-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Don't manufacturers count a car as being sold from the time it leaves the factory? In other words, the sales figures may not account for cars dealers are actually selling. I live about 3 hours from the closest dealer so from my perspective I can't tell what the true inventory picture looks like. I think the TSX is a great car for the price (either gen) but with car sales generally tanking like they are I can't see as to how they would be setting records. FWIW
Old 06-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by whatjones911
lol i completely forgot about the infiniti EX. I've seriously never seen one on the road yet at all. But i've seen the Nissan Rouge a few times, which is the same as the EX.

Now that I think about it the Acura's I see on the road are predominantly

RSX > TSX ~ TL > MDX > RL > RDX. Come the 4th gen TL let's hope that order switches up
Old 06-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ganplosive
Now that I think about it the Acura's I see on the road are predominantly

RSX > TSX ~ TL > MDX > RL > RDX. Come the 4th gen TL let's hope that order switches up
In my area (Philly/NJ Metro) I would say what I see most of Acura's on the road would be in this order:

TL (By a lot and equal 3rd and 4th Gen) > MDX > CL > TSX > RSX > RL > RDX

(Actually looked at EX for my wife. See more on dealers' lot that I do on road.)
Old 06-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bg905
In my area (Philly/NJ Metro) I would say what I see most of Acura's on the road would be in this order:

TL (By a lot and equal 3rd and 4th Gen) > MDX > CL > TSX > RSX > RL > RDX

(Actually looked at EX for my wife. See more on dealers' lot that I do on road.)

Meant to say 2nd and 3rd Gen TL. Sorry.

Thinking 4th Gen cause I'm in this forum.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Do the numbers of TSX sales include the 1st gen? cuz theres still some on the lots and i think the numbers posted include them. Thats why it is such a high number
Old 06-08-2008, 01:47 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I think before any conclusions as to the TSX can be drawn you need to let it settle for a bit. Most new models have an increase because they're new. Let's see in a few months what happens. As to the TL... who knows. That is the bread-and-butter car for Acura and with so few models if it's not a homerun it'll be dire for the company and the sales staff. Acura needs more models to lower the risk of a bad seller hurting the company too much. So far, though, I'm not liking the back of the car.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Racer

I think the TSX will be a great seller for a while longer because of the newer style that is quite different from the previous generation, the addition of the Diesel very soon and the now confirmed by a local dealer of the V6 as likely an Type-S....which now makes sense that their bodykit is called "Aero kit" and not A-SPEC...they didn't wanna have an A-Spec and a Type-S as this would be too confusing and maybe too much alike...
Old 06-08-2008, 07:38 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Diesel was needed a few years ago but the US doesn't have the spare refining capacity to produce much more diesel fuel so it's likely that will rise much faster than the price of gasoline, killing much of the advantage of buying a diesel I think. A new diesel refinery is being built in S. Dakota but that will take at least 5 years to come on line.

The TSX should have come with a 2.5 litre V6 not the inline 4 it has now I think. Bigger, heavier car after all...
Old 06-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Racer

CL6...well the V6 is coming and very soon so that will give some additional zing to the TSX sales.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Instructor

I just purchased an 08 tl-s. Looked at the 09 tsx and it is just UGLY and didn't get another look. The main reason I went with the tl-s was pricing and the Honda reliability. OTD here in so cal for 35k for a tl-s with all weather mats, painted mud flaps, wheel locks and trunk tray. Hard to purchase an accord ex-l v6 with nav for 30,200 otd (best price I was offered) with the aggressive pricing I seemed to see on the tl.

I think with gas at 4.50 plus at most pumps here in so cal the 4cyl cars are going to move much faster then before. That being said if the new tl has awd and more power the epa will drop at least 20% which will probably all but kill the sales of the new car.

Gas prices are forcing many to choose a 4 popper.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 09TSX
CL6...well the V6 is coming and very soon so that will give some additional zing to the TSX sales.
Is it really? I really like the new TSX but wouldn't purchase without a bit more ooomph under the hood.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Busting some beats...

...........What does this have to do with the fourth gen TL?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Racer

ChicagoTL...It sure appears that it's coming out realtively soon (later this fall or by early spring at the latest) and this has been confirmed by a local delearship. I know that dealer do know alot more than they wanna admit. I for one, was able to see a ppt presentation on the new TL (the 2009) and was very descriptive and I know such a thing also exist for the TSX. The information I got was that the TSX would be a Type-S and considering that the new bodykits are now called Aerokit and that a Type-S is no longer available on the 2009 TSX, it sure seems to make more and more sense. Now, I for one would not consider the V6 as it will be packaged likely as a more expensive option which I don't think I want given the price of energy, plus I am not really power hungry. My 2006 TSX is plenty adequate for power for me but at least, people that really wanna have power will seem to get that chance while the one who are just happy with their 4 banger will also have that option too. I hope that the sales manager was accurate but everything he told me about the 2009 TL matched exactly what I saw on the PPT presentation so I have no reason to doubt the credibility of his information, unless Acura changes their mind at the last minute.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Racer

AcuraTl_driver...I agree the thread got a bit off topic, our apolagies....
Old 06-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AcuraTL_driver
...........What does this have to do with the fourth gen TL?
you're right, sorry people!
Old 06-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Busting some beats...

Lol. I'm just saying cuz I'm amazed this thread stayed open for this long.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Well I opened it because a lot of people are hating the new TL design cues, but using the TSX as an example a lot of people are admitting that the grill is now growing on them etc, and the first month sales do prove it. All I'm saying is give this new TL a chance, after all we havn't even see it yet
Old 06-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
The new TSX is UGLY as SIN. YUK, CRAP. What a joke.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Come on now! It's not that bad right? For a new car, this crap is ugly as sin:

LOL

Old 06-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Sure the new TL will sell well, just not to me. I don;t care for what I have seen and all the focus on the exterior, what about the interior? I know we have not seen much, but the navi looks liek the middle hump set up fomr the MDX, YUCK! That damn cheap plasticy navi control knob and funcky volume / tuning knob. I played witht he instrumentaiton and controls in an 09 TSX and personally it devalues the feel of the car. Infiniti has the fake chrome more elegant/upscal look, the Acura controls really make it all seem so cheap. Also that damn dash hum in the spy shots.. like I said I suepct my next car will be a G35, or hopefully a 7 speed Auto G37 sedan.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
You mean these same center "humps" that you can find in other luxury brands? It doesn't bother me at all. It's mostly for safety reasons so that you can keep your eyes on the road easier. There is a design pattern here:

MDX

Mercedes

BMW

CTS

Old 06-12-2008, 01:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Nice Bimmer
Old 06-13-2008, 02:09 AM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Next gen RL spied