Dealing with a Dealership, Dealer got Dealt

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:15 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Dealing with a Dealership, Dealer got Dealt

When I purchased my car I didn't bother to look under the hood. I was under the assumption that the TQI would have been done and everything that should have been there would have been there. When I get home I looked under the hood, mainly because I usually check everything and didn't. My girlfriend also thought it was odd that I didn't look before we bought it.

After looking under the hood I realized that the positive battery terminal garnis (the plastic access cover that's attached to the engine bay covers) was missing. So I went to the dealership, which is about 65 miles away, and let them know. They placed the order and told me that when it comes in they will ship it to me. I also ordered the front license plate bumper plugs, I don't roll with front license plates. This took place 3 weeks ago.

After a couple of weeks we realized that we had not received our parts, so this past week I called the dealer to find out what's going on. I was given the run around, played phone tag with the service department (who took care of the ordering of the parts for me). I got fed up and decided to show up in person to get the problem resolved. So I took the drive down today and spoke with the service manager.

He apologized repeatedly for not calling me back and for the whole problem of us not getting our parts. The bumper plugs were ordered but never shipped, the terminal cover was ordered then given to another customer. We got the bumper plugs and theterminal cover was reordered and I was reassured by the service manager that as soon as it came in he would personally ship it himself . I also asked him what he going to do for me since this had happened. He asked me what I was loooking for and I let him know that I wasn't looking for anything in particular but when a customer is in a situation like this with the dealer what type of compensation is given (especially since I had to drive 65 miles to get this resolved)

It ended up with the terminal cover being one day shipped when it arrives and the A1 service on them (first oil change is free, but the a1 service is not) I feel like I came out on top, would you agree or disagree? Oh and the TQI was done as well as a interior cleaning, I opted out of the car wash since I'm the only one allowed to wash my car
Old 06-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
bumper plugs - never pay for - they come w/ your car - they remove them to install the front plate bracket. I just asked for my plugs when I purchased the car. (an older 3G I asked if they had any when I was in for oil change - and they gave to me free (as they have a drawer full of em)
Old 06-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by crxb
bumper plugs - never pay for - they come w/ your car - they remove them to install the front plate bracket. I just asked for my plugs when i purchased the car. (an older 3g i asked if they had any when i was in for oil change - and they gave to me free (as they have a drawer full of em)
+1
Old 06-27-2010, 02:20 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Doh; that sucks. I asked for them and they said they do not come with the car. They even looked if they had any and they didn't. I didn't pay full price for them. I paid 7 total for both when they are 7.99 a piece or something like that.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My car was a swap with another dealer so I too did not get the bumpers plugs but I don't really care as front plates are required in this tristate area (NYC).

What you should do is print out the TQI bulletin (there's a link somewhere on this forum) and read through the steps as there are a lot of other things that they do in a TQI.

They need to set the electronic compass for you (you can do it yourself but you need the instructions). Mine was never done and it was set for Georgia and I live in NJ!. Also, there should be under body plugs just behind the front wheels and just in front of the rear wheels (4 total for the car). Supposedly they lessen the noise but I couldn't tell after they installed them. Mine were missing and they hard to order it under warranty.

Under no circumstances should you pay for these as they suppose to come with the car.

What my home dealer told me is that each dealer bills back Acura for the TQI process. So if they didn't do it for your car, they are essentially cheating out Acura and you are taking the hit.

BTW, in the future, you can order parts through BernardiParts.com and pay below retail cost. Those plugs cost $1.24 each on that website. I checked last year when my car did not come with them.