Dealer is making it hard for me to NOT buy a TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer is making it hard for me to NOT buy a TL

So, I actually have a deposit on a 3-series right now. But, the local dealer is really starting to change my mind. The service I get here is just terrific. As an example, I bring my car in for a brake job the other day, and I arrive to pay the bill and find that the service guy had stapled a coupon to the invoice and dropped the price by 20%.

Anyway, everytime I've had any problem, Acura has been very responsive (I'm talking about both the dealer and the factory). Makes it hard to consider going to another make.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Laker fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doesnt bmw offer COMPLETE service for 4yr/50K miles for a new car? that includes oil changes, brakes, alignments, etc...
Old 10-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by acuraman211
doesnt bmw offer COMPLETE service for 4yr/50K miles for a new car? that includes oil changes, brakes, alignments, etc...
It's also built into the cost of the car as well. You can get the same maintenance package when you buy a Lexus vehicle too.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Yes, but if you are out of warranty, they'll be hitting you for 2000 plus for new rotors and pads. (typically, BMW won't do pads only).
Old 10-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Not an Ashtray

I don't believe the service includes alignments (although I could be wrong). I think it is oil changes, brakes, windshield wipers, etc. I'm not sure that is as great deal as it sounds, because in the end, it amounts to 4 oil changes and the same warranty stuff Acura covers.

Now, I'm not trying to convince you that Acura gives better service overall than BMW. I'm just saying that Acura in general, and Glendale Acura in particular, has been so good to me that I feel a bit hesitant about going with a different make.

Maybe it is worth putting up with the TL's beak and less-than-ideal size if that gives a really positive owner experience.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:15 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you go to keyes?
Old 10-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by ifirahse
Do you go to keyes?
Keyes will never touch my car again. After they installed OEM foglights on my 2004 TSX, I had pieces fly off from beneath my bumper at highway speeds.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Acuras Only in

How do you know they didn't jack up the prices & then slap 20% discount for you? I don't know the specifics but that kind of practice is common in service area .... did you do some compare shopping for your services ? People call them stealerships (in general) for a reason I guess ...
Old 10-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
darth, I'll tell ya....I owned a BMW 535i. It was a good looking car, classy too. But the damn thing nickeled and dimed me to DEATH! And you'll feel like you've got to fix everything on it, because it's a BMW. I really wanted to like BMW, but I was tired of paying $150 here and $300 there....it drove me crazy. It made driving the car not as much fun anymore.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Type- (S)low

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
darth, I'll tell ya....I owned a BMW 535i. It was a good looking car, classy too. But the damn thing nickeled and dimed me to DEATH! And you'll feel like you've got to fix everything on it, because it's a BMW. I really wanted to like BMW, but I was tired of paying $150 here and $300 there....it drove me crazy. It made driving the car not as much fun anymore.
+1 , that's why leasing it's the best option for these type of vehicle. IMO
Old 10-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Not an Ashtray

Steve, I'm worried about this too. And, frankly, I badly wanted to be back in another Acura. Acura just doesn't offer much I like. I'd love something wagon-like, but the RDX is not my cup of tea. If I stayed in a more sedan like vehicle the new TSX has numb steering, the TL is too big, and RL too inefficient.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by shooter
How do you know they didn't jack up the prices & then slap 20% discount for you? I don't know the specifics but that kind of practice is common in service area .... did you do some compare shopping for your services ? People call them stealerships (in general) for a reason I guess ...
and this is why I get multiple quotes first.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by darth62
Steve, I'm worried about this too. And, frankly, I badly wanted to be back in another Acura. Acura just doesn't offer much I like. I'd love something wagon-like, but the RDX is not my cup of tea. If I stayed in a more sedan like vehicle the new TSX has numb steering, the TL is too big, and RL too inefficient.
Wow Darth, Acura made it tough for you, for sure. How are you liking your TSX then, since you said the steering in numb?
Old 10-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Not an Ashtray

Wow Darth, Acura made it tough for you, for sure. How are you liking your TSX then, since you said the steering in numb?
The numb steering is on the second generation TSX, which using electronic power steering. The first generation, which I drive, has decent road feel (not BMW-esq, mind you, but decent). I absolutely hate the new steering setup on the TSX.

I've enjoyed my TSX. My only real complaints are the stiffish ride and the fact that the four banger is a bit buzzy. But, it is a comfortable car, really easy to live with, and I still like the looks a lot.

And, yeah, Acura has been great to me. I'm extremely satisfied with the ownership experience. I've had such great experiences with both Acura national and my local dealer, that I'd choose an Acura over anything else - if all else was equal.

BTW, I've appreciated your input in this thread. Your comments are very helpful (as a vet owner of both BMW and Acura).

Last edited by darth62; 10-17-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am in a similar deal. I own a 2005 TL. I am not thrilled about the cost of many other makes (Audi/BMW/VW) and not in love with the 09' TL. Acura has proven to me the lowest cost car I have ever owned and including my Accord just basic maintainence + tires/brakes. My service bills are cheap compared to what my friend pays with her 2004 Audi A4 OR another with his 330i. my Acura dealer has been great too.

My lease is up next month with no clear decision at hand. Cant decide to take up a 09' TL SHWD, or just buy out my 05' TL.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by darth62
The numb steering is on the second generation TSX, which using electronic power steering. The first generation, which I drive, has decent road feel (not BMW-esq, mind you, but decent). I absolutely hate the new steering setup on the TSX.

I've enjoyed my TSX. My only real complaints are the stiffish ride and the fact that the four banger is a bit buzzy. But, it is a comfortable car, really easy to live with, and I still like the looks a lot.

And, yeah, Acura has been great to me. I'm extremely satisfied with the ownership experience. I've had such great experiences with both Acura national and my local dealer, that I'd choose an Acura over anything else - if all else was equal.

BTW, I've appreciated your input in this thread. Your comments are very helpful (as a vet owner of both BMW and Acura).
Hey, thank YOU!!! That was very nice of you to say in your last paragraph-very much appreciated. I've always liked the TSX-I've always thought of it as a mini-TL.