Dealer Admin Fees

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Admin Fees

For those that have bought from Acura in the past couple of years...

What kind of dealer admin / document fee have you been charged?
This is seperate from liscence / tax fees.

With my last car purchase 5 years ago I only paid $150, but several dealers around me are advertising close to $500 admin fees.

Price plus tax, tags, $49 electronic filing fee, and $479 dealer administrative fee on approved credit only. Finance charges and smog fees (used vehicles only), where applicable. Freight charges from manufacturer apply to all new car inventory.
** Listed price does not include taxes, license, and a $459.00 administrative fee.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
dealer admin fees

Different dealers charge different fees depending, I suppose, on how greedy they are. Or they may use these fees to add to the bottom line if they are selling cars near invoice. When we bought our '08 TL in March the dealer here in Memphis was charging $500. The dealer in Nashville was $150. Guess where we bought the car? The dealer in Memphis explained that the $500 was to cover the cost of doing the paperwork to transfer the title and to register the car. Among other thing I told the sales rep that they were paying waaaay too much for clerical help and left.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Considering they have ladies in the dealership office who do all the paperwork- go to dmv for new plates if needed etc,,,,100 bucks is too much IMO
Some states set an amount all dealers must/may charge
Call the DMV in your state and ask what fees the dealer can legally charge
Consumer Affairs will know that info too

A lot of stuff is negotiable on a contract, the dealer starts high- drops down whatever part you want to feel happy- and makes it all back up on bs like scotchguard and office fees
Call DMV!!!!
Then you can use that when you go in
The other thing is deal with the Internet Sales Manager or the car sales manager- not salesperson -that person is looking to add 2500 to the deal for their commission
Old 12-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Considering they have ladies in the dealership office who do all the paperwork- go to dmv for new plates if needed etc,,,,100 bucks is too much IMO
Some states set an amount all dealers must/may charge
Call the DMV in your state and ask what fees the dealer can legally charge
Consumer Affairs will know that info too

A lot of stuff is negotiable on a contract, the dealer starts high- drops down whatever part you want to feel happy- and makes it all back up on bs like scotchguard and office fees
Call DMV!!!!
Then you can use that when you go in
The other thing is deal with the Internet Sales Manager or the car sales manager- not salesperson -that person is looking to add 2500 to the deal for their commission

I don't mind paying 100 bucks if I don't have to do anything as a part of the process. They find the loan, do the paperwork, etc. I would expect this kind of stuff but not at Acura dealerships.

As far as I can find as long as they make these fees public and obvious that they can try to charge whatever.

As you mentioned....everything is negotiable.. However, I don't feel that I should have to negotiate stupid things that should be Requirements from Acura to their dealerships. Acura shouldn't allow their dealerships to act in this way. I know each are individually owned, but you would expect some sort of guidelines for selling cars to present a common brand.

{edit} In NC there is a law preventing Manufacturers from forcing or preventing the dealership to charge an admin fee}

I would like some of the salesmen to comment on their dealer admin fees and why they think they are necessary.

Last edited by Stash; 12-09-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts

The "documentation fee" charge is no more than $45- at least on my last 3 or 4 new cars. Anything else is dealer profit. I refused to buy one car when the dealer tried to toss in a doc fee of $300+ after the deal was done, so the dealer reduced the doc fee to $45 to close the deal.

There should be no "administration fee"- the dealer is in business to sell cars, and the paperwork is part of that process. The doc fee probably originated from the dealers having to buy specific vehicle transfer carbon copy forms many moons ago.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:27 PM
is in Honda heaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Will Y.

The "documentation fee" charge is no more than $45- at least on my last 3 or 4 new cars. Anything else is dealer profit. I refused to buy one car when the dealer tried to toss in a doc fee of $300+ after the deal was done, so the dealer reduced the doc fee to $45 to close the deal.

There should be no "administration fee"- the dealer is in business to sell cars, and the paperwork is part of that process. The doc fee probably originated from the dealers having to buy specific vehicle transfer carbon copy forms many moons ago.

Paper work is part of the process but the titling, registration, and collecting taxes is not because by request the customer can take care of all that themselves. That part is a convenience.

To the OP processing fees differ from state to state and sometimes city to city. For instance in the Fairfax, VA area the processing fee is $349, in MD it's around $199, and I've heard in FL it's around $650. I dont agree that they should be that high but there should be a fee to pay the tag/title clerk and runners that drive around to all the DMV's delivering paper work and picking up tags.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:58 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I work for a Saturn dlr in NJ and we charge $189 Dlr fee.
That fee is paid to take care of the paper work and akll a DMV stuff (plates, Reg)
Old 12-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
We charge a $245 Doc fee. As I understand it, we are not allowed to charge one person but not another, nor are we allowed to change the amount once set. I do not know if there is a state mandated limit.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Racer

I appreciate all the feedback. My strategy will be to request in writing what a $49 dollar electronic filing fee and $479 dealer administrative fee contains and why I should pay it.

I understand charging me to take care of the paper work for me. But over 200 bucks just seems unreasonable for the convenience especially if I have to already pay the different DMV fees. Even if the person was doing was making 20 bucks (including benefits) an hour... then that is 10 hours worth of standing in the DMV lines just for me. It is all electronic! I should make them have to stand in line so I don't have to pay that fee. I have plates already....you are just printing a title and transferring ownership.

There is just a drastic difference in the level of service in some dealerships. I would like to buy from my local one so they give me good service, but instead I am going to drive an hour away to purchase a car to avoid an unnecessary $479 fee.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
You can generally negotiate this away if you are prepared to walk away. This is a quick revenue enhancer someone thought up 25 years or or so.

Because its usually pre-printed on the contract many people do not question it. Its just added profit for the dealer. The registration fee for either a plate switch or a new plate is a state fee that you have to pay along with the sales tax but is usually less then $50.

When I bought the TL I walked & had a 'let do the deal' message on my answering machine before I got home.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:32 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

They are trying to make up for profit lost on the deal.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Yea, It's Me!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never paid it.

Years ago I traded for a new Toyota Camry. We traded on a weekend so the payoff was estimated. I received a call from the dealership a week later saying that when I pick up the permanent plates, I need to pay $25 because the sales rep made a mistake on the paperwork. I told them I would not pay the $25 - take it from his profit, it was his mistake. I picked up my plates several days later and there was a note attached that said "COD $25" but was crossed off. I thought all was good. I received a call several days later that I had a check to pick up from the difference between the actual and estimated payoff. When I stopped by to pick up the check, they took the $25 out. I went off in the showroom, told both the finance manager and sales rep that this would be the last god****** Toyota that I would buy and no wonder Honda was kicking their ass in customer service. I couldn't believe they would piss off a new customer over $25. I took my car to another Toyota dealer for all service.
This was 1992 and I have bought a 4Runner since but not from that dealer.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Stash
For those that have bought from Acura in the past couple of years...

What kind of dealer admin / document fee have you been charged?
This is seperate from liscence / tax fees.

With my last car purchase 5 years ago I only paid $150, but several dealers around me are advertising close to $500 admin fees.
Most dealers in ATL regardless of make are in the $499-$599 range
Old 12-09-2008, 09:23 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

This is common in the South.

Originally Posted by KeithL
Most dealers in ATL regardless of make are in the $499-$599 range
Old 12-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Racer

At our dealership we charge $295 for Protector Plus admin - which is a security etching put throughout the car. Other than that, no administration fees. If your vehicle is stolen within the 1st 3 years, you will recieve up to $4000 via check by having your VIN registered with Protector Plus.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:33 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Yea another scam. I'd be pissed if things like that, dealership logos, etc. was on my vehicle prior to picking it up.

Originally Posted by CraigMacDTA
At our dealership we charge $295 for Protector Plus admin - which is a security etching put throughout the car. Other than that, no administration fees. If your vehicle is stolen within the 1st 3 years, you will recieve up to $4000 via check by having your VIN registered with Protector Plus.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Racer

logos on cars drive me nuts....why would I let you put a vinyl logo on the paint of my car...
Old 12-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
$295 to etch the vin in the windows!!!!!
You can DIY that job for under 50 bucks and registertration fee with the company for the insurance

Note- thats NOT going to keep you car from being stolen by any means- so what if they glass isnt sellable??- its the headlight bulbs/ballast they really wanted anyway!!
Who believes a car thief looks for vin on glass and says- oh no- better move on!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:39 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Cars are worth something like 300% more as parts than whole.