Deal or no Deal, 2014 TL Tech

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:34 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deal or no Deal, 2014 TL Tech

I hate to post a "is this a good deal" question, but over the years as an Acura owner, I've come to value the opinions of folks on here and have on more than one occassion printed off posts and taken them to the dealership to say "fix this this way." And, it's worked. So, I'm hoping for some help on the purchase side.

In short: I have 2010 TSX coming off lease here soon. Mileage overage is not an issue, however the repair report came back with a price tag of about $700, mainly due to the lower part of the front bumper being scratched up. (Thank you ex with no depth perception...) The rest of the damage cost is due to small scratches on the rims and 2 areas noted as "dented, no paint damage. Interior is flawless.

At the moment, I'm down to a 2014 TL or ILX, both Tech. That's enough bells and whistles for me, and yes, I know that means a little less power for the ILX. For me, the toys are more of a priority than the zoom zoom. I'm having a hard time getting some solid ##'s on the ILX option, however here's what's on the table for the TL:

$40,655.00 - MSRP
$34,490.00 - internet sales price
$1493.99 - VA sales taxes
$1448.75 - title, fees, and freight
$37,432.74 - OTD
$504-$514 - 10k/3-yr lease with no money down

So, is this a decent deal? And, what's the likelihood that I could get them to also "throw in" the $700 in repairs, given that they are more a few little cosmetic things instead of big issues? In a perfect world, I want to walk in, give them my TSX, and walk out with a new car, no money OOP, and nothing to worry about other than making sure I get all the loose change out from the console.

And hey, if anyone wants to throw in some numbers and thoughts out on the ILX, I'd appreciate that too.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Check out Corey's thread and also check out truecar.com. GL!

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/acura-tl-current-incentive-list-jan-7th-2014-mar-3rd-2014-a-903445/
Old 02-27-2014, 10:56 AM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
$6k off MSRP sounds like a decent deal, but like posted above, check out truecar.com.

I cant stand the ILX. I received one for a loaner, and it was way too cramped. Also lower quality materials and weak 4 cylinder. No thanks.
The following 2 users liked this post by Camaro194:
HeartTLs (02-27-2014), mylove4cars (03-01-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Don't get the ILX.

Don't let the $700 scare you into making a decision that you'll live with in the next 3 years.

Is it possible to extend your lease for a couple of more months until the TLX arrives?

To me, $500/month lease for a TL is pretty high. I know you said $0 down but still. I read on the Lexus GS forum, people are reporting crazy lease deals (under 500$/month for 10K lease) on those GS given the MSRP.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
IMO, the TL is in a completely different league compared to the ILX. I drove a TSX and ILX before falling in love with the TL.

No offense to any ILX owners but it felt like a loaded down Civic. I would forfeit some bells/whistles and drive a TL vs a ILX with all the goodies.

The driving experience in the TL is also incomparable. It's such a nice feeling to be going 60mph and knowing that a tap of the accelerator can get you to 80+ in a short period of time. The four cylinder just doesn't have that range.

Good luck with your decision.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (03-01-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
I've driven an ILX and TSX as loaners. I found the TSX to be acceptable as a minimum necessary equipment (interior feel) for my daily.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:53 PM
4th Gear

I am in the Dallas area and I just bought a 2014 TL with tech for $33,250 last night. I also paid $750 for the body side molding, wheel lock, all-season mats, splash guards, and tinting. The total purchase price was a dime less than $34k. That's before taxes and license, etc. Dealer's doc fee was $180.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
If your lease is through Acura Financial you should be able to extend your lease for another year in 6-month increments. It's what I'm doing with my current TL in anticipation of the TLX. This gives me until October to allow TLX inventory buildup and gather "first impressions" from those who jump on the wagon early.

That being said, your current deal isn't bad but check out Cory and truecar as others have said for the best deal going. Also shop more than one dealer if you have that option in your area. If you aren't too picky with color the closer you get to TLX release the sweeter the deals will become. I got my 2010/Tech after the 11's came out and got $6500 off sticker. I also would steer clear of the ILX. Downsizing to it from a TSX will be a disappointment. Let us know what you end up doing!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a Northern Virginia lessee (I've been leasing for 10+ years, and have had 5 from Acura), the deal you describe sounds reasonable. The most important issue is that YOU are happy. As for exiting the old deal, and getting the $700 wiped, you must be firm, respectful, and firm. Visit Cadillac and check out the CTS, or Infinity, and mention that you have shopped around. Be willing to walk, even if you come back later. Just work it! Acura is always interested in cutting good lease deals on anything but the most recently released models. Go for it! Good luck.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
As others have posted, the deal sounds reasonable, at least on the surface, at first glance. However, you mentioned you're leasing, so the 'Jew' in me wants to ask why? Will this be a fleet vehicle or one used in a personal business endeavor where you can take a tax write-off for the cost of the lease? If the answer is 'no', then are you looking at leasing as a way of possibly "affording" a better car or having incrementally lower payments and/or possibly being able to get a new car every 3 or so years? If that answer is yes, then someone needs to sit you down and explain the economics of automobile leasing to you.

The biggest problem I have with leasing a vehicle for purely personal use is that you're paying out all this money every month but gaining no equity. You're also forced into making a decision at the end of the lease that you may not be ready to make. You're also restricted as to the number of miles you can put on the vehicle without getting dinged for an excess mileage charge.

Leases can be attractive from the viewpoint that your vehicle is always under warranty, but in Texas you have to pay state sales tax up front on the entire total price of the vehicle, even though you're not buying it. That's $2187.50 on top of a $35k deal. That $2187.50 is then folded into the lease for your "no-money-down" deal, pushing up your payment by an additional $60~$70 a month (assume 36~39 mo. lease).

Leases also stink when you turn the vehicle in and have virtually any damage or heaven forbid, smoked in it. As you're probably already discovered, the dealership's definition of "reasonable wear and tear" is stringently defined as meaning virtually no wear & tear other than the miles you've put on it. Also if during the lease the vehicle was involved in a collision or otherwise sustained any significant damage, you will not only have to pay for the repairs, but they often hit you with an additional "diminished value" charge because there is now a record of the vehicle having been in an accident. Ditto this for excessive tire wear. If you turn it in with less than 50% of the tire life remaining or your tires show evidence of hard cornering, being run underinflated, sidewall gouged, etc., you're going to get hit for new tires. These lease guys shtup you at every turn.

Another royal schtupping you receive from the dealership is the ubiquitous doc fee. This "fee" is the money you pay them to file your title application and registration for you, in lieu of you going down to the nearest county office (not grocery store) and doing it yourself. This is not the actual cost of title & registration - that's extra! The DOC fee is additional **PROFIT**. Once or twice a month a $12/hr clerk will take a couple hours out of his or her day to take all the many title applications down to the DOT and do the exact same thing you could do for free. You're also left waiting and waiting for weeks on end for a license plate you could have received the same day.

Just my 2¢ worth...
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
^^^^^^^^^

Excellent post!
Old 03-01-2014, 06:10 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
the doc fees are ridiculously high in No. VA. and you can get your hard tags the day you purchase the car depending on your credit status or how how much put down on the car. OR you just transfer the tags on the existing car to the new car.

not sure where in VA the OP is (i'm guessing he/she is from VA from the screen name)...
Old 03-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Camaro194
$6k off MSRP sounds like a decent deal, but like posted above, check out truecar.com.

I cant stand the ILX. I received one for a loaner, and it was way too cramped. Also lower quality materials and weak 4 cylinder. No thanks.
Same experience, no way.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Cruisin'

The lease writeup by Cap'n Preshoot is very good.

Here's my 2 cents.

I have driven the ILX, TSX and TL as loaner vehicles.

I like the Tech package on all of them

ILX looks great, and handles decent but lacks power going up hills in CA and feels small. Saves gas and is at a lower price than many others. Sales decent in my area.

TSX looks great,handles well with decent power but it's really is an older version of the Honda Accord with some upgrades but rear seating is quite small. Driver seating for the driver is decent. TSX is a hot seller for Acura btw in my area.

TL looks great and way better after the 2012 makeover. It has very good power even if you just going with the 3.5 V6 but it does drink 3 mpg more in fuel compared to TSX while adding a smoother ride. Rear seating is better than TSX. If you can afford it, I would opt for the TL given the material inside is pretty noticeable compared to the TSX. Sales decent in my area.

I had spend weeks on TSX vs TL but decided TL is probably more suited for me.

I just hope the TLX is just a roomy and enjoyable to drive. I did have some paint issues with the TL.

ILX and TL is made in US.
TSX is made in Japan.

I also used Truecar to get the best price in my area. I purchased instead of leasing given I want to own it.

Good Luck with your choice.

Last edited by netman88; 03-01-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:52 PM
2013 ATS 2.0T Premium

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by justmeinva14
I hate to post a "is this a good deal" question, but over the years as an Acura owner, I've come to value the opinions of folks on here and have on more than one occassion printed off posts and taken them to the dealership to say "fix this this way." And, it's worked. So, I'm hoping for some help on the purchase side.

In short: I have 2010 TSX coming off lease here soon. Mileage overage is not an issue, however the repair report came back with a price tag of about $700, mainly due to the lower part of the front bumper being scratched up. (Thank you ex with no depth perception...) The rest of the damage cost is due to small scratches on the rims and 2 areas noted as "dented, no paint damage. Interior is flawless.

At the moment, I'm down to a 2014 TL or ILX, both Tech. That's enough bells and whistles for me, and yes, I know that means a little less power for the ILX. For me, the toys are more of a priority than the zoom zoom. I'm having a hard time getting some solid ##'s on the ILX option, however here's what's on the table for the TL:

$40,655.00 - MSRP
$34,490.00 - internet sales price
$1493.99 - VA sales taxes
$1448.75 - title, fees, and freight
$37,432.74 - OTD
$504-$514 - 10k/3-yr lease with no money down

So, is this a decent deal? And, what's the likelihood that I could get them to also "throw in" the $700 in repairs, given that they are more a few little cosmetic things instead of big issues? In a perfect world, I want to walk in, give them my TSX, and walk out with a new car, no money OOP, and nothing to worry about other than making sure I get all the loose change out from the console.

And hey, if anyone wants to throw in some numbers and thoughts out on the ILX, I'd appreciate that too.
$514 for 10k on a 37k car doesnt sound like a "deal" to mean, despite what they are saying they are knocking off the price. I just leased a $48k fully loaded Cadillac ATS for approximately $460 per month with 12k miles with 0 down. When I mean 0 down, taxes are also rolled into payment.. This was on a new car that was voted car of the year. I love the TL but for that price on a car that is several years old with no changes, I'd have to pass.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:54 PM
2013 ATS 2.0T Premium

Shit, I could get you the brand new Cadillac CTS for that monthly payment similarly equipped lol.

Get that price way down. That car is about to be replaced soon and its at the end of its lifecycle. To me, more towards the flat 400 mark might sound fair to me. There is alot of negotiating to be done, the dealers by me have lots full with none selling
Old 03-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by listrats
Shit, I could get you the brand new Cadillac CTS for that monthly payment similarly equipped lol.

Get that price way down. That car is about to be replaced soon and its at the end of its lifecycle. To me, more towards the flat 400 mark might sound fair to me. There is alot of negotiating to be done, the dealers by me have lots full with none selling
If you are buying a new TL Tech for $34xxx...no, there is not more room to go much further. A couple hundred, maybe, just to be creative. Over $6000 off a vehicle is a lot.

You can't simply compare lease payment to lease payment on different cars with very different MSRP's. End residual, how much funny money is the company using to subvent the up front lease price (Cadillac, GM, etc always do this with extra cash to drop the payment) and what is your end turn in.

Thankfully with Acura, unless you go to a screwy dealer, Acura Financial Services is your one and only lease company and their terms are overly favorable.

Tax differs depending on the state, as shown with the VA tax here, and cannot be compared. The payment on a $0 down lease will always be more, because you are rolling everything back on top and over the lease term, bumping it further.

If the TL is the right fit, get the TL. If you are interested in other options, test drive them and see. There are great choices out there (skipping Infiniti, however, the most common vehicle I have clients trying to get out of early), and see what you like and what feels right.

If the deal feels right, do it. Don't over analyze. Enjoy the car

How do you know the end of lease damage is $700, btw? Has it been inspected and billed already?
Old 03-05-2014, 07:45 PM
2013 ATS 2.0T Premium

Originally Posted by beach109
If you are buying a new TL Tech for $34xxx...no, there is not more room to go much further. A couple hundred, maybe, just to be creative. Over $6000 off a vehicle is a lot.

You can't simply compare lease payment to lease payment on different cars with very different MSRP's. End residual, how much funny money is the company using to subvent the up front lease price (Cadillac, GM, etc always do this with extra cash to drop the payment) and what is your end turn in.

Thankfully with Acura, unless you go to a screwy dealer, Acura Financial Services is your one and only lease company and their terms are overly favorable.

Tax differs depending on the state, as shown with the VA tax here, and cannot be compared. The payment on a $0 down lease will always be more, because you are rolling everything back on top and over the lease term, bumping it further.

If the TL is the right fit, get the TL. If you are interested in other options, test drive them and see. There are great choices out there (skipping Infiniti, however, the most common vehicle I have clients trying to get out of early), and see what you like and what feels right.

If the deal feels right, do it. Don't over analyze. Enjoy the car

How do you know the end of lease damage is $700, btw? Has it been inspected and billed already?
I understand that lease is different from buying out right. But I believe he was mentioning a lease deal. If he is going to lease and not buy the car outright at the end, then all that comes down to comparisons (of the financial aspect) is the monthly payment with the same money down. I am just stating that some companies give better lease deals than others, and from my experience Acura is not one of the greatest lease deals.

When I get my TL I had the SH-AWD tech and I was paying 590 a month with aboslutely 0 down taxes were rolled into payment. Might sound like a great deal for a 43k car because I am not putting a penny down, but then the same exact terms on a car that is 5.5k more and my payment dropped down 140 dollars per month, while both buybacks are the same.

I think that month to month some brands have better deals than others, some of those deals are SIGNIFICANTLY better. Its all personal preference. My opinion is that if you want the TL get a better price. $514 is not that great of a deal because for a bit more you can buy the car. The point of the lease is for the payment to be low upfront. Though my current car and my TL were not the same car I got a much better price on a more expensive car, that is the point I am trying to make. I wont bash the TL, I loved that car, but it is outdated at the end of its cycle and with a big overstock (at least where I am located). There is no reason to get some serious money off the car.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:46 PM
2013 ATS 2.0T Premium

I agree with the aforementioned opinions about the ILX. It is not a luxury compact. That car is a flashier honda civic. Dont even both in my opinion, your MUCH better off with the KIA Optima, fully loaded, for a much better price.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
IMO, depends on if you are a regular driver or a sports car enthusiast. If you just love Hondas/Acuras and drive it on a regular then getting the TL now is ok. If you are in for the speed then you should wait for the up and coming 2015 TLX GT!