csmeance's review and drive of the 2009 TL TECH also spoiler alert for new features

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by csmeance
just a quick question for the 4G TL owners, does your TL make a buzzing noise when you push the start/stop button when turning on and off the car? I find this quite odd on the one I have...
Could the sound you heard be the steering wheel's electronic lock? Since there is not a keyed ignition, they are locking the steering wheel electrically instead of purely mechanically like on the 3G. This may be what you were hearing.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPinSC
Could the sound you heard be the steering wheel's electronic lock? Since there is not a keyed ignition, they are locking the steering wheel electrically instead of purely mechanically like on the 3G. This may be what you were hearing.
I only seem to hear it w/ the 1st drive of the day - I think it may be like the 3G's abs pump noise
Old 01-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
navi + display on dash

One thing I don't like, is that the display on the dash has more information than the navi. Its like the navi screen is an add on.

When you look at the Accord, the display screen pretty much has all the information as the display on the TL. eg. temp, fan speed, clock, etc...

It really looks like the navi is not really part of the car but a third party add on.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by crxb
another thought for the weather Radar - would like to be able to zoom in more - I can get more detailed info for doppler on my iPhone - (never happy right?)
I played with this today. There is a way to zoom in from the standard screen, the easiest is to just say "50 miles" from the weather radar screen. It will zoom in 3x from the standard screen. It refers to that little measure. It will go from 150 mi to 50 mi.

There is a way to do this by turning the ring on the big central knob. There are a total of three settings on the radar map.

Hope this helps (unless you already figured this out and still would like better doppler) Can't help you there.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by J.A.S.
I played with this today. There is a way to zoom in from the standard screen, the easiest is to just say "50 miles" from the weather radar screen. It will zoom in 3x from the standard screen. It refers to that little measure. It will go from 150 mi to 50 mi.

There is a way to do this by turning the ring on the big central knob. There are a total of three settings on the radar map.

Hope this helps (unless you already figured this out and still would like better doppler) Can't help you there.
JAS: I know how to zoom in - just isn't enough
- w/ a local doppler weather app on my iPhone I can zoom in even more - enough to get info for my neighborhood - - you can see exactly where / when the storm will pass.
Also I would like to see the storm movement on the car's nav screen - gives you an idea of the direction of the storm (instead the 'static' storm display (updates every 10 min I believe)) - small complaints
Old 01-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO the weather info on the TL is a waste of money. I get better more detailed weather information through my iphone, for free.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NYSH-AWD
IMO the weather info on the TL is a waste of money. I get better more detailed weather information through my iphone, for free.
Maybe, but why risk playing around with a cell phone while driving?
Old 01-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

the weather info is tied into the nav - so if you have a route in the nav - it will provide weather alerts along the route. so far as 'a waste of money' - if you wanted to you could make the same argument about the nav and $100 portable navs (or for that matter iPhone maps)

Last spring break I drove my 3G 1200 miles across the southern US to go to WDW. (disney) I had the weather forecast web pages on my iPhone's web pages for major cities along the way. It was doable, but not the easiest to work while driving (drove in about 20 hrs) The xm weather on the 4G tied into the nav would have made that easier (last thing I wanted on a long trip was to drive through heavy rain)
Old 01-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
you have to remember the iphone runs of a huge 3G network that is based on cell towers and has cingular backing it. the one is the TL is backed by satellites in the sky through XM radio, a much more limited bandwith and source of info in my opinion. For the day and age, the weather in the TL is a nice feature since many people still don't have the Iphone due to various reasons, including myself.