CR: FWD AcuraTL wins Most Reliable UpScale Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Thumbs up CR: FWD AcuraTL wins Most Reliable UpScale Car

Honda, Acura, Porsche and Scion topped the annual Consumer Reports reliability survey released on Tuesday. At the other end of the spectrum, Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz were deemed among the worst.

Findings are based on responses about 1.3 million vehicles owned or leased by subscribers to Consumer Reports or its Web site.

Here are summaries of the magazine’s findings:
Audi: Nearly 75% of the Audi models scored below average in reliability. The A6 3.0T tied with the Jaguar XF for worst new-car prediction score.

BMW: While the BMW M3 topped the sports-car category, 5 of BMW’s 11 models scored below average.

Chrysler: None of Chrysler’s models scored above average, and 12 of the 20 models rated below average.

Ford: The Blue Oval earned top scores in two categories: family cars (Fusion hybrid) and large SUVs (Ford Flex EcoBoost). 90% of Fords have at least average reliability.

General Motors: With 69% of models having a reliability of average or better, GM has made the most progress of the 3 domestic brands. For instance, Chevrolet jumped from 50% reliability in last year’s survey to 83% this year.

Honda and Acura: These two brands earned top scores in 5 vehicle categories: upscale cars (Acura TL, FWD), luxury cars (Acura RL), small SUVs (Honda CR-V), upscale compact SUVs (Acura RDX), and compact pickups (Honda Ridgeline).

Hyundai and Kia: Only the Kia Sedona minivan rated below average. All 6 new models for 2010 had average or better reliability.

Mercedes-Benz: While the redesigned E350 scored above average, 6 of Mercedes’ 13 models scored below average. The new E-class coupe did especially poorly.

Nissan: All Infiniti models were average or better. Both the 2WD and 4WD versions of the Titan scored below average.

Porsche: All models rated average or better. The Porsche Boxster has the best predicted reliability score.

Subaru: Overall, the Japanese brand carried a good record. The WRX was the only model that rated below average.

Toyota: Only the all-wheel-drive Lexus GS and the new Lexus IS 250 convertible are below average. 5 models earned top scores: small cars (Yaris), midsize SUVs (FJ Cruiser), luxury SUVs (Lexus LX), minivans (Sienna V6 FWD), and full-size pickups (Tundra V6).

Volkswagen: The Golf scored very well. Various Jetta models also scored average or better.

Volvo: All models were average or better.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Hater alert, hater alert. This is like dropping a piece of wet candy near an ant hill. Ready, set, go! The haters will come out of the wood works on this one.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/26/2...bility-scores/

If you take a look at the chart, the most reliable for acura is the RL though. The least reliable for acura is the TL SHAWD, surprising really.

thanks for the article tsx!

Last edited by jasonwdp10; 10-27-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Tl & rl

The RL is the most reliable Acura overall but the TL FWD won for the segment of UpScale Car ... just as the RL won for the segment of Luxury Car.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Banned

man so our TL's aren't luxury cars!!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:26 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
^Not sure why this is a hater alert. It should be a good thing for the 4G TL FWD to have have this honor.

On the other hand of the spectrum, the 4G TL-AWD is now Acura's least reliable model, replacing the RL (which is still "better than average").

Must be all the unresolved creaking, sunroof rattling, and occasional 3rd/R gears popping out in the 6MT.

Last edited by docboy; 10-27-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by compewterbleu
Hater alert, hater alert. This is like dropping a piece of wet candy near an ant hill. Ready, set, go! The haters will come out of the wood works on this one.
Laughing so hard people around me asked "What's so funny?"
Old 10-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Safety Car

Smile My Guess

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
man so our TL's aren't luxury cars!!
"UpScale" is their way of saying entry or near-luxury ....
Old 10-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Mamma said . . . luxury is as luxury does.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by litt
mamma said . . . Luxury is as luxury does.
+1
Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by docboy
^Not sure why this is a hater alert. It should be a good thing for the 4G TL FWD to have have this honor.

On the other hand of the spectrum, the 4G TL-AWD is now Acura's least reliable model, replacing the RL (which is still "better than average").

Must be all the unresolved creaking, sunroof rattling, and occasional 3rd/R gears popping out in the 6MT.

It didn't say the TL SH-AWD was unreliable at all, wasn't mentioned. I put the hater alert on because anything posted as a positive for the TL line is attacked...usually like crazy by the haters and traitors, correction not traitors but those who can't make up their minds, are easily pressured or influenced by their peers or indecisive.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Interesting to note that last year, Acura's worst and best cars were exactly transposed. RL was least reliable and TL-AWD was most reliable.

But also note how narrow the range is for Acura compared to many other mfrs, meaning there's not a lot of difference between worst and best, within the Acura lineup. So little differences year to year can cause this type of reordering.

Also interesting to note that the low end of Acura's range (i.e., least reliable) is above the mid-point for a lot of its competitors.

In my book, one key element of "luxury" is not having to take your stinking car into the dealer every month to get some serious problem fixed (and I'm not talking about solving a squeak or rattle in a mass-produced vehicle). Acura seems to do very well in that department.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Honda and Acura: These two brands earned top scores in 5 vehicle categories: upscale cars (Acura TL, FWD), luxury cars (Acura RL), small SUVs (Honda CR-V), upscale compact SUVs (Acura RDX), and compact pickups (Honda Ridgeline).

Where does it say unreliable?
Old 10-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it's in the link from Post #3. I read something similar today on USA Today Business Section. RL most reliable, TL (AWD) least reliable COMPARITIVELY WITHIN ACURA.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Banned

Who said unreliable? (the first time that word was used was in YOUR post compewterbleu) I said least reliable FOR ACURA, which is EXACTLY what the consumer reports graph shows since the chart is a RELIABILITY chart. Are you guys blind or just not clicking the link?

thank you those that actually read before posting

Last edited by jasonwdp10; 10-27-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Who said unreliable? (the first time that word was used was in YOUR post compewterbleu) I said least reliable FOR ACURA, which is EXACTLY what the consumer reports graph shows since the chart is a RELIABILITY chart. Are you guys blind or just not clicking the link?

Umm, I'm guilty. I didn't. I had read only a few articles.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts

I'm only good for abo

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
Umm, I'm guilty. I didn't. I had read only a few articles.
Comp, Your prediction was correct after-all.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
I'm only good for abo

Comp, Your prediction was correct after-all.
abo?

Which part of his prediction was correct?
Old 10-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Racer

Well the reason I went with Acura in the first place is because of the legendary reliability. I'm still a happy customer and this report (to me) comes as no suprise.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Banned

Same here. I don't even realistically consider any european makes due to the consistently unreliable cars they make. Except for test drives of course... those are always fun.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I think it's reasonable for the TL SH to be the least reliable Acura (worst of the best). The TL FWD has a more traditional build format with it's parts, platform, etc, while this is the first gen for an SH built TL but constructed in Ohio. A similarly structured RL is built in Japan and has had a few years more to perfect it.

Acura reliabilty is no secret as is thier resale and general value perception. Some think value and luxury can't co-exist but even the most luxurious and expensive vehicles need to at least appear to be relatively good deal among their closest competitors otherwise most consumers wouldn't buy them.

Many would agree that this degree of superior core values need to be established before any amount of luxury or performance can be built on top of that especially if a brand wants to make sportier or more luxurious products and charge excessive amounts for them.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 10-27-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
Many would agree that this degree of superior core values need to be established before any amount of luxury or performance can be built on top of that especially if a brand wants to make sportier or more luxurious products and charge excessive amounts for them.
Agreed. I still do not understand how, to this day, the european makes still cannot make a problem free reliable vehicle.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:07 PM
TL lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who said Acura is going down. Think back!haha. I went 90mph on the snowy day in Utah. Freeway driving free risk!haha. Acura TL 2009

Proud to be an acura owner! Me and my father. 1 2009 TL, 1 2008 MDX. haha. and an old problem free 120,000 miles honda accord v6 1998.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 10-27-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Interesting to note that last year, Acura's worst and best cars were exactly transposed. RL was least reliable and TL-AWD was most reliable.

But also note how narrow the range is for Acura compared to many other mfrs, meaning there's not a lot of difference between worst and best, within the Acura lineup. So little differences year to year can cause this type of reordering.

Also interesting to note that the low end of Acura's range (i.e., least reliable) is above the mid-point for a lot of its competitors.
+1. Exactly. Acura's least reliable model (at least per CR) is still above average. The range of Acura's reliability is fairly minimal,and Acura's "low" point is still above average. So for me to say the TL-AWD is Acura's least reliable model, one needs to look at the chart before the TL-AWD is labeled "unreliable."

Acura's low range is a good indicator of quality control. Scion seems to have qc down. Benz, Audi, BMW, and others are all over the place.

From a stats point of view, many of the mean values are too close to another to be considered statistically significant (ie. Acura and Infiniti).

Same here. I don't even realistically consider any european makes due to the consistently unreliable cars they make. Except for test drives of course... those are always fun.
Agreed. I too still cannot see why BMW and Audi consistently rank below average. Porsche seems to get the picture just fine though

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
Acura reliabilty is no secret as is thier resale and general value perception.
Acura's reliability is IMHO their strong point. However, as other make's reliability improves, Acura needs to further differentiate/improve their products to maintain their advantage, whether that be it universally accepted exterior styling, more creature comforts, more performance models, etc. If Acura does not, the reliability selling point will only carry them so far.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Funny how that say AWD TL is worst Acura, I found my 2009 AWD for 18 months to be the best built, most solid most reliable car I have ever owned, and I have owned tons of Asian cars. And at 120 cars a month how did they find enough RL owners to answer their surveys?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by KeithL
And at 120 cars a month how did they find enough RL owners to answer their surveys?
Good point.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
true about the RL - how small/large was that sample size?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Acura's reliability is IMHO their strong point. However, as other make's reliability improves, Acura needs to further differentiate/improve their products to maintain their advantage, whether that be it universally accepted exterior styling, more creature comforts, more performance models, etc. If Acura does not, the reliability selling point will only carry them so far.
I definately agree, especially when it comes to the Japanese competition but in case of the big three German brands, they seem to be going backwards when based on this report.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I remember that the JD Power people recently did rank the TL SH-AWD (NOT the FWD version) as the best vehicle in terms of initial quality or customer satisfaction (sorry, cannot remember which, but it was an outstanding result!).
Old 10-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
^Don't know if we're talking about the same thing, but Consumer Reports reported that the TL SH-AWD had the highest customer satisfaction in response to a question "would you buy this car again?" I think the TL score was tied with a Porsche.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Racer

I would buy my car again given the chance! Just like that darn Dodge challenger commercial talking about why you would buy a car you don't love. I agree with that statement, buy a car u love. I love my Acura.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:28 AM
KES
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Making CR's this list is certainly a good thing. The most important part is that Acuras and Hondas go the distance and generally are reliable past the mfg warranty which is one of the contributing reasons we buy them and that they have good resale value.

On 3 Honda / Acura vehicles I have put 380,000 miles with very few non-maintenance repairs and never a day when the vehicle would not start and run.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I traded a BMW in on my TL-S back in 2008. I bought the BMW brand new, and had more problems with that car than any other car I've owned. It has 15k miles on it when I traded it, and I had a stack of service reciepts about an inch thick. Thank god for the warranty.

Luxury, sport luxury, whatever you want to call it, the car was a piece of shit. I will NEVER own another european or german car again. I've got 24k miles on the TL-S now, no problems. Only things I've done is regular maintenance, and put on a new set of front brake pads last week.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
the Japanese car making industry set the standard for cars back in the 80's and still have the standard now, the only other car company that can compare with their reliability is Volvo, and that is a maybe...
Old 11-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I wouldn't doubt that more European cars are Leased more than Japanese cars. I would definitely lease! I had a friend who had a BMW 745...I seen it more on top of a flat bed then on the road. But it did look nice up there.

Originally Posted by SSGHutch
I would buy my car again given the chance! Just like that darn Dodge challenger commercial talking about why you would buy a car you don't love. I agree with that statement, buy a car u love. I love my Acura.
Call me weird almost every day I look out in the garage just to look at my TL. Then I run my finger down its side. HAHAHA. Im in LOVE!

Last edited by 777mycoolangelo; 11-08-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by 777mycoolangelo
I wouldn't doubt that more European cars are Leased more than Japanese cars. I would definitely lease! I had a friend who had a BMW 745...I seen it more on top of a flat bed then on the road. But it did look nice up there.

Call me weird almost every day I look out in the garage just to look at my TL. Then I run my finger down its side. HAHAHA. Im in LOVE!

...same here, when I take a look at Grace I'm like, "Dude you got a bad ass ride." Then when I pull up at spots like a sports bar to meet friends and people, especially the ladies, tell me how sexy my ride I'm chill yet thrilled. I went and got her waxed and clay bared...she's looking marvelously exquisite!