Convincing hubby of Acura vs Lexus--please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
How old are you?
If she caught my obscure reference to Emily Litella then she is no spring chicken and, naturally, neither am I
Old 06-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Chief Excellence Liason

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jim_c
My personal opinion is that Navi systems are crazy expensive and unnecessary. I have managed to find my way around for 50 years of driving without a $4,000 gps system! LOL.
This. No doubt the push-button start, keyless entry, ELS stereo and backup cam are awesome tech features, but I never got why the nav component(be it the car's feature or a dedicated aftermarket GPS like a Garmin) is necessary when just about any smart phone can do that.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jim_c
It's really annoying when people state their biased opinions as facts. And not helpful. There are several pros and cons to be considered e.g. when comparing AWD to FWD (or RWD for that matter).
To the thoughtful OP: I'm in Canada and I found a site called Auto Trader (.ca) to be invaluable when I was looking last fall. Perhaps you have similar or better resources in your area.
The pricing (asking prices) varied by as much as $5,000 on similar TLs that I looked at! I eventually bought a 2010 and thought I got a good deal but the dealers close to my home wanted way too much. You should be able to find a motivated dealer when you decide to buy, but don't buy a bunch of stuff you don't need.
My personal opinion is that Navi systems are crazy expensive and unnecessary. I have managed to find my way around for 50 years of driving without a $4,000 gps system! LOL.

That was similar to my thinking when we bought our 2000 TL and opted for the non-Navi model to save a couple of thousand bucks. We rarely regretted not having the Navi since 99% of our driving is pretty local. When I bought my XKR (used) in 2008 it came with Navi and I was pleased to have it but, again, rarely used it.

Funny thing is that when I finally broke down and bought a "smart phone" a couple of years ago, I use the navigation on that pretty frequently to find restaurants or other places. Moreover it is very simple to use--you can basically just speak the location and the app responds quickly and accurately.

So when we were looking for our 2012 TL Navi was even less important due to the ease and accuracy of the smart phone. But the manufacturers end up packaging that with other features that you will likely want, hence, we bought the Tech package. I would say when we do need navigation we use the one in the car about half the time and the smart phone about half the time. The smart phone is still easier due to the fact that you can just speak the destination name.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by FireAtWill
This. No doubt the push-button start, keyless entry, ELS stereo and backup cam are awesome tech features, but I never got why the nav component(be it the car's feature or a dedicated aftermarket GPS like a Garmin) is necessary when just about any smart phone can do that.
While I agree with what you said about the NAV in general, the factory one is nicely integrated into the dash which makes it clean and nice. You can always a garmin with more up-to-date data but then you'll have to deal with power cord, mount on the windshield, etc.

For me, the nav component is the least wanted in the Tech package but for 4K, you get more than just a GPS.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I like the nav screen versus the phone nav mostly due to being easier to read and track. The phone makes me look away longer by having to start the screen then read it before it goes black again.. though the map on my phone is more up to date than the Acura's
The following users liked this post:
TLtrigirl (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
If she caught my obscure reference to Emily Litella then she is no spring chicken and, naturally, neither am I
Lol, my new favorite phrase. Gonna use the regularly now.

Integrated nav is a luxury feature, of course of don't need it but then again there a lot of other features/luxury amenities you don't need. That said I wouldn't pay that premium on a beater to get it loaded with tech. On my TL I love the advance package; nav, bigger HDD, cooled seats (), blind spot warning, better leather...
Stew4HD (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How old are you?
I'm the Little Old Lady from Pasadena...no, really, I'm not THAT old! I'm a 40-something lady. I just meant that I sort of sounded like that in my reply, but I really did not mean "never mind." All of this input has been really, really helpful. And I can't get out to test drive the SH-AWD until the weekend, because I work a crazy schedule during the week.

I really appreciate all the info. And I do have a bit of a lead foot, so I might actually turn into the Little Old Lady from Pasadena someday!

Aw, even my kids (older teens) know who Emily Litella is, but mostly because their dad and I have referenced her in the past. I'm old, but I'm not that old. Middle age does have its advantages (such as being able to afford a much nicer car than I could in my 20s).

Last edited by Steven Bell; 06-18-2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 06-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I would go with the TL, I have friends with many GS's and the TL is far more better bang for the buck. Tons more features and better mpg, plus faster =). I just traded up from a 2012 TSX to a 2013 TL and lowered my payment. They have some really good rebates and incentives on 2012 left overs and 2013 new inventory right now. Depending on your credit, you can probably get into a new TL for around $375-$400/mo with no money down, that's about what you'd pay for the used one. Good luck in your decision, they are both great cars though.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
Lol, my new favorite phrase. Gonna use the regularly now..
Now I feel even older since your new favorite phrase has been around for quite some time.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Intermediate

BTW they are now offering a TL Special Edition, it doesn't have the Navi, but it has the push button start, spoiler with backup camera, ELS sound, black leather with red stitching and 18" "black chrome" ten spoke rims for about $1500 more than the base model. (Came out 2 days after I bought mine, wish I would have waited 2 days, but I still love my car)
Old 06-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Now I feel even older since your new favorite phrase has been around for quite some time.
Ditto.. and I've used that quote many times over the years... though I am not quite as old/ancient.over the hill as you.. but not that far away
Old 06-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Ditto.. and I've used that quote many times over the years... though I am not quite as old/ancient.over the hill as you.. but not that far away
I didn't realize you knew my age but, without being too specific, it is somewhere between 62 and 64

DUH--just noticed it is with my Avatar!
Old 06-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Suzuka Master

I didn't realize you knew my age but, without being too specific, it is somewhere between 62 and 64

DUH--just noticed it is with my Avatar!
hah! I am not the Great Kreskin, though I wish I was.. sometimes!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthsideGirl
I'm the Little Old Lady from Pasadena...no, really, I'm not THAT old! I'm a 40-something lady. I just meant that I sort of sounded like that in my reply, but I really did not mean "never mind." All of this input has been really, really helpful. And I can't get out to test drive the SH-AWD until the weekend, because I work a crazy schedule during the week.

I really appreciate all the info. And I do have a bit of a lead foot, so I might actually turn into the Little Old Lady from Pasadena someday!
Pics!!!

I'm trying really hard to break my "hammer down hard" right foot. It has cost me a small fortune in gas and tires.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks to all for your thought-provoking responses. Hubby and I discussed this weekend and have come to a decision (drum roll, please): we are going to wait. Like some others here, he is not crazy about the front end of the 2010 TL, but does like the changes in the 2012. My LS is still a great car and we aren't interested in dealing with that Lexus dealer, whose car has been on the lot for almost two months and who won't budge on price. (Yes, there aren't many preowned cars out there right now, but there also aren't that many motivated and qualified buyers, either.) So I'm going to wait until the winter when the new TLs come out, hoping either to score a great deal on an end-of-year 2013 or perhaps a newly-turned in 2012 CPO. And I am going to take a look at the SH-AWD, too. Thanks again to all!
We are in the same boat, I am looking at Lex IS, BMW 328 and TL all, the same model year. The TL is a great car, the front end is not pretty PERIOD. You can replace the offending piece with a body matched part that makes a world of difference. That's the car I'm checking out now. The Lex and BMW are too small. The Bimmer will be a maintenance headache. The Lex is overpriced and has no rear legroom. And yeah, the TL has more ponies than either car!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jsmith
We are in the same boat, I am looking at Lex IS, BMW 328 and TL all, the same model year. The TL is a great car, the front end is not pretty PERIOD. You can replace the offending piece with a body matched part that makes a world of difference. That's the car I'm checking out now. The Lex and BMW are too small. The Bimmer will be a maintenance headache. The Lex is overpriced and has no rear legroom. And yeah, the TL has more ponies than either car!!!
What year of TL are you looking at?
Old 06-19-2013, 12:42 PM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
If I lived in Phoenix I'd probably only buy RWD too. The only Lexus I sort of like is the ISF, other than that just way too boring all around. Why are you only considering those two models? CTS? RWD and better looking than both.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Intermediate

What year of TL are you looking at?
looking at 2010's cuz that's what there's a lot of inventory on from lease returns and such...
Old 06-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Suzuka Master

looking at 2010's cuz that's what there's a lot of inventory on from lease returns and such...
Ah yes, not your front end comment makes sense. I have never been a fan of that nose either.. which is why I grabbed a '12 when they revised the front and back.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

Ah yes, not your front end comment makes sense. I have never been a fan of that nose either.. which is why I grabbed a '12 when they revised the front and back.
Yeah, your car looks great! I'm trying to keep costs down, although they do have a '12 that's only a few thousand more.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:53 PM
Cruisin'

Hi, j. Stay away from the BMW. My brother the ASE Master Mechanic has forbidden me to even look at them due to the maintenance issues (he has a list of forbidden cars, lol). The IS is a good looking car, but there is no legroom in the backseat and the 250 is underpowered for my taste (just try to find a 350). I've also been looking at the 2010s but the front end is probably the single biggest reason my husband is not fully on board, so I'm going to see what's out there in a 12. I just wish that Acura would go back to a timing chain vs a belt. It's a real pain (and an expensive one) to deal with the replacement. All that being said, I did like the GS, but the dealer just kept jerking my chain on the price, and the Acura guys here have been awesome!
Old 06-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Cruisin'

A couple other questions for Acura folks: does Acrua provide a loaner when you service your vehicle? Yes, I'm spoiled. I don't mind paying a nominal fee but it's sure a lot easier when you aren't stranded. Also, when do they offer their best financing specials on CPO? I know Lexus does it mid-year and in December, but I have no idea with Acura. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

A couple other questions for Acura folks: does Acrua provide a loaner when you service your vehicle? Yes, I'm spoiled. I don't mind paying a nominal fee but it's sure a lot easier when you aren't stranded. Also, when do they offer their best financing specials on CPO? I know Lexus does it mid-year and in December, but I have no idea with Acura. Thanks!
Yes to question one in many cases.. not for oil changes.

not sure about financing.. ask them
SouthsideGirl (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Intermediate

Yes to question one in many cases.. not for oil changes.

not sure about financing.. ask them
Acura has a sale and special financing going now - 1.9% for CPO's. Not as good as 0.90% for Lexus but not bad.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts
I have personal experience with this as I just traded in my 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance for a 2013 Lexus ES 300 hybrid with navigation and the luxury package. The TL was my second Acura (traded in a 2001 TL) and I absolutely loved both. However, I know that I'm an aggressive driver, but I couldn't get above 15mpg. With premium gas hovering around $5.25 a gallon here in Chicago, I was disgusted paying $80 per week in gas. I walked into the Lexus dealership telling myself that I would only buy something if the price was right. Long story short, I traded in my car for $33k with 12,345mi and walked away with a payment that was $40 per month. It was a no brainer when I consider the Lexus gets 40mpg and only needs 87 regular gas. That saves about $8 per fillup. My Acura was only 7 months old and I didn't need to get rid of it, but almost every Lexus will get you better mileage than a TL. That's just my two cents... and some people will disagree with me, but thought I'd share my feelings.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by big10purdue
I have personal experience with this as I just traded in my 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance for a 2013 Lexus ES 300 hybrid with navigation and the luxury package. The TL was my second Acura (traded in a 2001 TL) and I absolutely loved both. However, I know that I'm an aggressive driver, but I couldn't get above 15mpg. With premium gas hovering around $5.25 a gallon here in Chicago, I was disgusted paying $80 per week in gas. I walked into the Lexus dealership telling myself that I would only buy something if the price was right. Long story short, I traded in my car for $33k with 12,345mi and walked away with a payment that was $40 per month. It was a no brainer when I consider the Lexus gets 40mpg and only needs 87 regular gas. That saves about $8 per fillup. My Acura was only 7 months old and I didn't need to get rid of it, but almost every Lexus will get you better mileage than a TL. That's just my two cents... and some people will disagree with me, but thought I'd share my feelings.
Sounds like you did a smart thing for your personal needs. I love the GS, but they way they are treating me has been a huge factor in my looking Acura's way. I never even considered Acura when I first started considering replacing my old LS, but the dealer has been playing really dumb games with me on pricing. Due to my LS I'm used to paying for premium (gas here is about $3.65/gal) and even that old baby gets 21 mpg in the city. I would prefer it if the Acura took regular gas but I have a 5 mile commute so it's really not a big enough issue for me to not consider it.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Cruisin'

Acura has a sale and special financing going now - 1.9% for CPO's. Not as good as 0.90% for Lexus but not bad.
Actually, that's the same that Lexus is offering on CPO for 48 months, so it's a wash. Yay!
Old 06-19-2013, 02:46 PM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
With premium gas hovering around $5.25 a gallon here in Chicago
Wow Chicago sounds terrible, gas is overpriced and you're more likely to get shot than in Iraq.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Intermediate

I am a little confused by this last post. We are talking about entry level luxo's with 6 cylinder engines rated at 15-25mpg. So of course any hybrid (cars not SUV's) will beat them in terms of gas consumption. Is your point that the Lexus Hybrid is better overall than any of these? Or is it the reference to the high cost of premium gas? My brother has the Camry version and gets great mileage out of it too.

Last edited by jsmith; 06-19-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Instructor

Not comparing the hybrid to the TL straight up, but any non-Lexus SUV is going to get you better mpg than a TL. I was also sharing my experience about not getting the 18mpg that the TL is rated at. It sound like the OP is a bit on the fence with a few things and opinions from all angles tend to help.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Cruisin'

Not comparing the hybrid to the TL straight up, but any non-Lexus SUV is going to get you better mpg than a TL. I was also sharing my experience about not getting the 18mpg that the TL is rated at. It sound like the OP is a bit on the fence with a few things and opinions from all angles tend to help.
Yes, all comments and input are welcome! Thanks very much!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Intermediate

Yes, all comments and input are welcome! Thanks very much!
So SSG are you gonna check out the Hybrids too? I think I will, since the Lexus dealership has one in the lot...
Old 06-19-2013, 05:42 PM
Cruisin'

So SSG are you gonna check out the Hybrids too? I think I will, since the Lexus dealership has one in the lot...
I would like to, but not much in the way of used inventory right now. Back in March my husband and I saw a GS350H on the lot at $26K. We should have test-driven it at that time. They are sort of hard to come by. I wonder if Acura makes any hybrids? Need to check that out.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Miscellaneous comments fwiw

I can easily get 21 mpg (US gallon) on my FWD 2010TL.

they are now offering a TL Special Edition, it doesn't have the Navi, but it has the push button start, spoiler with backup camera, ELS sound, black leather with red stitching and 18" "black chrome" ten spoke rims for about $1500 more than the base model.
I would take the wheels and the stereo! LOL! :-)
Why do they insist on these packages with stuff like a spoiler which looks ridiculous on a grownups' car?
Cars had push button star when I was a kid. Silly.
Why does one need a backup camera?
Just more technology for the sake of change.
Sorry. Just my old fashioned thinking.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Intermediate

Wink

Acura does provide a loaner for any type of service work you do. Whenever I need an oil change I schedule an appointment and they come to me (where ever I am) to pick up my car and leave me with a loaner. I usually schedule my service on a Friday late afternoon that way I have a loaner to play with all weekend
Old 06-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Suzuka Master

I am getting 24 mpg in AWD
Old 06-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by 350
Wow Chicago sounds terrible, gas is overpriced and you're more likely to get shot than in Iraq.
My BFF is from Chicago. It is a tough place to grow up if you don't have any money. But it's no Iraq.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Cruisin'

My BFF is from Chicago. It is a tough place to grow up if you don't have any money. But it's no Iraq.
I grew up in ChiTown but wouldn't go back for anything. Great city to visit, but not to live. I especially hate driving there. Yes, it's freaking HOT in Arizona in the summer, and we have lots of idiot drivers ourselves, but just 20 minutes out of town you can escape the madness and let 'er rip. Nothing like a nice road trip in the summer to Flagstaff and 75 degrees. LOVE to drive, which is why it's so important to me to get the right vehicle.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Going back to a previous question, I went for an oil change and rear differential fluid change two weeks ago (wish I would have known I'd be trading it in) , but they gave me a loaner with no questions asked. They asked if I wanted a TL or MDX, so it's not like they give you something with less space than you're currently driving. I also think choosing the right dealership is really important. They like to see you brining your car back to them for servicing... they make money and you get all your records in one spot. A great dealership can make bad situations seem not so bad... and on the contrary... a bad dealership can ruin your feelings towards a particular manufacturer.

I don't know if all dealerships are required to give you a loaner, but the little touches like that go a long way for me.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
I grew up in ChiTown but wouldn't go back for anything. Great city to visit, but not to live. I especially hate driving there. Yes, it's freaking HOT in Arizona in the summer, and we have lots of idiot drivers ourselves, but just 20 minutes out of town you can escape the madness and let 'er rip. Nothing like a nice road trip in the summer to Flagstaff and 75 degrees. LOVE to drive, which is why it's so important to me to get the right vehicle.
/ot
There are a lot less idiot drivers out in AZ than in other places Ive driven. Just came back from a 10 day vac. outside of Phoenix, yes its hot but its a dry heat. I rented a G37 whilest there. Sedona is only an hour, Prescott is 1.5. Flagstaff is about 4.5.

Its not the worst place in the world to live.

Quick Reply: Convincing hubby of Acura vs Lexus--please help!