Consumer Reports Initial Comments on the TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Consumer Reports Initial Comments on the TL

Acura's outgoing TL was among the highest-scoring sedans we've tested, one of the few models in this class that blended comfort, convenience, and some sportiness at a reasonable price. The redesigned 2009 model is larger and roomier, and has more powerful engines than the previous generation. All-wheel drive is now optional in the top-level model with the 3.7-liter V6. Ride and handling of both the front- and all-wheel-drive models is competent but not exceptional. The optional tech package includes navigation as well as traffic and weather reports.

Oh, and Acura had the highest reliablity of any upscale brand (being slightly better than Lexus and Infiniti and far better than BMW, Audi and M-B).
Old 10-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darth62
Acura's outgoing TL was among the highest-scoring sedans we've tested, one of the few models in this class that blended comfort, convenience, and some sportiness at a reasonable price. The redesigned 2009 model is larger and roomier, and has more powerful engines than the previous generation. All-wheel drive is now optional in the top-level model with the 3.7-liter V6. Ride and handling of both the front- and all-wheel-drive models is competent but not exceptional. The optional tech package includes navigation as well as traffic and weather reports.

Oh, and Acura had the highest reliablity of any upscale brand (being slightly better than Lexus and Infiniti and far better than BMW, Audi and M-B).
Good post I believe the comments are generally right on.

Interesting to note that CR said that the 3G TL has "some sportiness." This comment may not sit well with TL-S owners, as I believe they may think that the S model is truely sporty, not only some sportiness
Old 10-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not a big fan of CR when it comes to auto reviews. These guys seem to have some traditional bias against sporty cars in general. The CR guys are much better at reviewing and comparing refrigerators or appliances. To me, Edmunds has the best, in-depth, non-biased car reviews.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by kenny5
Good post I believe the comments are generally right on.

Interesting to note that CR said that the 3G TL has "some sportiness." This comment may not sit well with TL-S owners, as I believe they may think that the S model is truely sporty, not only some sportiness
I'm not dis-illusioned that my Type-S is a "true sports car", it is not. It is a very sporty sedan, more so than most, but in the end it is a handful of tweaks to what is a sporty luxry type car.

And as for CR, I use their stats on reliability, thats it, their opinions are just those opinions. I will draw my own conclusions as to what I like and defien as sporty and such. Their mag is a great source of collected stats for reliability and insight to be used accordingly.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by PetesTL
I'm not a big fan of CR when it comes to auto reviews. These guys seem to have some traditional bias against sporty cars in general. The CR guys are much better at reviewing and comparing refrigerators or appliances.
Pete,

I don't know why you're not a fan of Consumer Reports auto reviews, this one seems like it's pretty good-according to Darth's original post.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by KeithL
I'm not dis-illusioned that my Type-S is a "true sports car", it is not. It is a very sporty sedan, more so than most, but in the end it is a handful of tweaks to what is a sporty luxry type car.

And as for CR, I use their stats on reliability, thats it, their opinions are just those opinions. I will draw my own conclusions as to what I like and defien as sporty and such. Their mag is a great source of collected stats for reliability and insight to be used accordingly.
CR never tested the 3GL TL-S. They tested the TL base, and that was the highest rated vehicle in the class at the time.

On the other hand, I agree with your view that CR's opinion is just that - an opinion. The smart thing is to look at reviews form EDMUND, CR, Motor Trend etc as potential sources of information. But, in the end, you decide what car works for you.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Not an Ashtray

I'm not a big fan of CR when it comes to auto reviews. These guys seem to have some traditional bias against sporty cars in general. The CR guys are much better at reviewing and comparing refrigerators or appliances. To me, Edmunds has the best, in-depth, non-biased car reviews.
The fact that CR test appliances basically has no relevance at all for their tests of vehicles. They have a dedicated staff of car engineers. If you go over to their chat board, you'll find that those guys have forgotten more about cars than most of us will ever know. They are most definitely "car guys" and their opinion is very informed and very objective.

Of course, it is still just one view.

And, I'm not sure how you could claim that CR has a "bias against sporty cars..." The highest rated car in the upscale category, according to CR, is the G35. The G35 is a far more "sporty" car than the TL. CR does rate many sporty cars quite highly.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Snax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that Edmunds (like this forum) is a 'for profit' ad based business and although CR does accept limited donations, they are about the most non-biased, agenda-free publication. Both must be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by snax
Keep in mind that Edmunds (like this forum) is a 'for profit' ad based business and although CR does accept limited donations, they are about the most non-biased, agenda-free publication. Both must be taken with a grain of salt.
At the end of the day: buy what you like, and like what you drive.

Nobody appointed CR or Edmunds car diety. I think both sources provide useful information (although I completely agree with your take on CR vs. Edmunds agenda). But, at the end of the day, you have to decide what is important to you.

As an example, I hate cars that have poor visability (like the Infiniti EX35). Those cars may get lots of positive comments from CR and/or Edmunds but will never wind up in my garage. It doesn't matter how high Edmunds or CR rates those cars - I'll decide what works for me.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Snax

^^ Agree.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Instructor

lexus still takes the top award for reliability and customer service though, that's why my TL's replacement is going to be a 09 LS most likely.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had the best customer service with Acura since 1987! Other family cars were Toyota, Mercedes, Ford, Lexus, BMW and Honda, and they had the worst customer service departments. Honda is second to Acura obivously been cousins.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by bmode
I've had the best customer service with Acura since 1987! Other family cars were Toyota, Mercedes, Ford, Lexus, BMW and Honda, and they had the worst customer service departments. Honda is second to Acura obivously been cousins.
Totally agree. I think Acura has been great - stood behind me every time there was any kind of problem.