considering used TL 2013-14 SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
considering used TL 2013-14 SH-AWD

I currently drive 06 TL 6MT Navi and I really enjoy the car. I am also very familiar with 1st and 2nd gen TSX as well as TLX, but don't know much about 4th gen TL. I have been toying with an idea of buying certified-used 2013 or 2014 SH-AWD TL 6speed Auto (would love to have 6speed manual, but those seems do not exist in my area), but I am not sure if that car is actually a smart buy?

As far as the issues go,it seems like a lot of people complain about an oil consumption on 3.7L engine. Does this issue exist across the board, or sporadically? Is there a permanent fix for it at this time available? Are they any other issues or 'things' I should be aware of when looking at this car?

Also, looking at some of the TLs around, I noticed the following entry on CarFax on several of them - " Left airbag assembly replaced". Does this mean that the car was in an accident or is this related to Takata recall?

I appreciate any info.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:45 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
I really like the way the 4g TL SH-awd drives. I haven't driven any gen of tsx but I had the tlx several times as loaners, I had a tlx for 4 months while my car was parked waiting for the tamara airbag to be replaced. Everytime I can not wait to get back in my car.
Regarding some known problems with the SH-awd you can do some research on: 1) 3.7j series oil comsumption, the quantity varies according to milage, the way she was driven/broken down/ type of of oil. Acura says 1qt. per 1k miles is acceptable. Some owners have minimal comsuption, others within range and some others have had the engine block replaced. Acura has acknowledged the issue and hopefully will come with a permanent fix. I use 5w-20 Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic and my consumption is 0.5 qt every 5k miles. 2) Propeller shaft failure/whine. I got mine replaced still under warranty after hearing a whining/whistling when driving over 30 mph. After 5k miles of the replacement the annoying sound hasn't came back, some members had theirs replaced twice or more after only a few thousand miles. 3) Torque converter. There is a software update available to correct shuddering while shifting, and also a torque converter warranty extension if the update doesn't solve the problem. Make sure this update was performed. Other than that I think the car is very reliable and super fun to drive.
I would relate that "Left airbag assembly replaced" shown on CarFax to the Takata airbag inflator recall, even if the tittle is very inaccurate and misleading, the metal inflators are being replaced not the entire airbag assembly.
Go test drive a few and let us know your impressions. Good luck.
The following 3 users liked this post by LostProphet:
carbonTSEX (12-21-2016), KarKraze (12-24-2016), mlody (12-22-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 12:52 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Other than those issues LostProphet mentioned above, but those can be annoying. IMO, 4G TL with shawd will not let you down. it is giving you solid, beefy, muscular but nimble feeling when you drive it under most of scenarios.
It is a good buy.
The following users liked this post:
mlody (12-22-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 09:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Thank you guys for the info. Does Acura have any permanent fixes for those 3 major issues, or they are addressing them with the same faulty parts?
Old 12-22-2016, 06:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mlody
Thank you guys for the info. Does Acura have any permanent fixes for those 3 major issues, or they are addressing them with the same faulty parts?
1. Engine oil consumption, has been acknowledge by Acura/Honda and hopefully will come with a permanent fix, in the meanwhile if your car is still under warranty and it is burning an excessive amount of oil you can take to any Acura dealer for an Oil Consumption Test and if it determined that it is excessive you can get the short block replaced (some members had theirs replaced more than once), there are many theories about the consumption but only Honda/Acura will come with a permanent fix. Note that all newer Acura vehicles carry the 3.5 engine which has been proven is bulletproof.
2. Propeller shaft: The part has been upgraded from part # 40100-TK5-A02 to part # 40100-TK5-A03, it seems that the hanging bearings were going bad due to the heat coming from the exhaust. The upgraded part is supposed to have better quality hanging bearings that should not go bad from the exhaust heat. If you here the whining take it back to the dealer for a under warranty replacement and make sure they use the newer upgraded part.
3. Like I said the Torque Converter has an extended warranty, if you feel hard shifting take it for a software update, if that does not solve the problem you can get the torque converter replaced with a new one hopefully upgraded. The problem Acura/Honda found is the old software was making the ATF deteriorate prematurely due to excessive heat, this software update is supposed to help the torque converter keep a more appropriate temperature.

Acura/Honda is aware of this issues and will replace the parts if they are proven to be defective. If the car you want to buy is certified or comes with warranty you will be fine. If it doesn't come with warranty you can buy extended warranty or work something out with the dealer/seller about replacing this parts as a part of the deal. I had a 09 FWD tech before and I upgraded to a 12 SH-AWD Advance and I am super happy, the car will not let you down. Good luck and let us know.
The following 2 users liked this post by LostProphet:
death (01-25-2017), Lee C (12-22-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 06:30 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by LostProphet
1. Engine oil consumption, has been acknowledge by Acura/Honda and hopefully will come with a permanent fix, in the meanwhile if your car is still under warranty and it is burning an excessive amount of oil you can take to any Acura dealer for an Oil Consumption Test and if it determined that it is excessive you can get the short block replaced (some members had theirs replaced more than once), there are many theories about the consumption but only Honda/Acura will come with a permanent fix. Note that all newer Acura vehicles carry the 3.5 engine which has been proven is bulletproof.
2. Propeller shaft: The part has been upgraded from part # 40100-TK5-A02 to part # 40100-TK5-A03, it seems that the hanging bearings were going bad due to the heat coming from the exhaust. The upgraded part is supposed to have better quality hanging bearings that should not go bad from the exhaust heat. If you here the whining take it back to the dealer for a under warranty replacement and make sure they use the newer upgraded part.
3. Like I said the Torque Converter has an extended warranty, if you feel hard shifting take it for a software update, if that does not solve the problem you can get the torque converter replaced with a new one hopefully upgraded. The problem Acura/Honda found is the old software was making the ATF deteriorate prematurely due to excessive heat, this software update is supposed to help the torque converter keep a more appropriate temperature.

Acura/Honda is aware of this issues and will replace the parts if they are proven to be defective. If the car you want to buy is certified or comes with warranty you will be fine. If it doesn't come with warranty you can buy extended warranty or work something out with the dealer/seller about replacing this parts as a part of the deal. I had a 09 FWD tech before and I upgraded to a 12 SH-AWD Advance and I am super happy, the car will not let you down. Good luck and let us know.
I wonder what bearing is the problem?
Old 12-22-2016, 06:45 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
My 2013 TL advanced SHAWD is my happy place.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:01 AM
Burning Brakes

I pulled the trigger and got myself 2014 SH-AWD Tech with a 29k miles very happy about the car.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Instructor

I pulled the trigger and got myself 2014 SH-AWD Tech with a 29k miles very happy about the car.
Congrats. Please post pics of your new ride.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
No Regrets

I've had my 2013 SH-AWD for about a year and a half and love it. It definitely leans towards the sporty side of the sport-luxury equation when compared to my LS460 AWD. The car drives beautifully and the AWD system is pure magic if you really push it on dry pavement and equally magical in the snow and ice. I also have the tech package and the ELS stereo system is hands down better than the unit in the Lexus. Biggest thing is to keep up with the maintenance schedule and be especially sure there's always clean fluid in the tranny and rear diff.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:53 PM
UA9 SH-AWD

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Congrats! It's an amazing car!
Old 12-23-2016, 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
pics LOL VVVV

Cars for Sale: Certified 2014 Acura TL in SH-AWD w/ Technology Package, Libertyville IL: 60048 Details - Sedan - Autotrader
Old 12-27-2016, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Congrats, it's the perfect blend of sport and luxury.