Considering a 12 SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 12:07 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Considering a 12 SH-AWD

I found a local 12 SH-AWD black on black w/ tech package for 22.5K (roughly 23K OTD). Car has 49K miles on it and (I believe) is at the end of the transferable warranty. Is there any way to check for the oil consumption issue everyone is all worked up about? The selling dealer (non-Acura) has a 30 day/1000 mile warranty, but not sure if it would cover a new block if the car does exhibit symptoms. Other than that, I loved it. The seats were super comfortable and the back seat seemed big enough for my two kids & their car seats.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
I would get the VIN and check with an Acura dealer to review its service history. May be a record of previous oil consumption issues.

No way to really check otherwise unless you do your own oil consumption test.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:32 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by matt21484
I found a local 12 SH-AWD black on black w/ tech package for 22.5K (roughly 23K OTD). Car has 49K miles on it and (I believe) is at the end of the transferable warranty. Is there any way to check for the oil consumption issue everyone is all worked up about? The selling dealer (non-Acura) has a 30 day/1000 mile warranty, but not sure if it would cover a new block if the car does exhibit symptoms. Other than that, I loved it. The seats were super comfortable and the back seat seemed big enough for my two kids & their car seats.
I bought my Gray 2012 SH-AWD last year. I'm really madly in love with my car. It responds very well. the ride is tight but not buttery smooth like lexus that i test drove. Same thing like you, 2 car seats in the back and it is still roomy.

I was hesitant about oil consumption but there was no way of checking it. Bought it and I haven't faced the problem yet ( 44K miles now). The only thing is it hesitates a little while shifting gears at low speed.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:25 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Most likely that 12' is outside of OEM warranty, which means you won't be able to extend it. Although it's within mile range (under 50k), I believe it's beyond the 4 year mark. So unless it's a 12' that was sold middle of 2012' or later. The 30 day/1000 mile warranty is somewhat moot IMO, because if oil consumption was never mentioned in service history how would you know it's consuming oil within 999 miles of driving it? When Acura dealers perform an oil consumption test they drain, refill and have you check back in after 1000 miles. Lastly lets say right off the bat you notice the vehicle has transmission problems, within 50 miles of driving, I highly doubt the non Acura dealer will be able to diagnose it and be willing address it. I can totally see them trying to literally run down the clock. Reason being there are Acura dealers who play dumb and act as if it's the first time they've ever heard of common problems.

But best of luck! I love my 4G, it's my 2nd one, 09' to 12'.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a '12 with Umber interior with 53k miles on it that I posted to FB but have got no hits. Will be putting it on CL in the next day or so. I can tell you where to look if you happen to maybe be interested.
I also have Acuracare on it that can be transferred.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:27 AM
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the replies. I do really like this car and feel the price/value is on target too. I'll try to contact a local Acura dealer to see if I can get any more detailed service records. The carfax/auto check came back clean, I'll try to find an e-copy to share. A lot of scheduled maintenance items. Going over it a second time today, I noticed the driveshaft was checked multiple times, but nothing on replacement. Not sure if that's "normal maintenance" or sign of issues before PO dumped it... I hate the internet, I got all worked up about finding a good deal/great car and now I'm afraid the car is going to grenade via driveshaft issues & oil consumption on my drive home.
EDIT: Here is the carfax

Last edited by matt21484; 01-19-2016 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Added Carfax
The following users liked this post:
HeartTLs (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 12:12 PM
Drifting

Thanks everyone for the replies. I do really like this car and feel the price/value is on target too. I'll try to contact a local Acura dealer to see if I can get any more detailed service records. The carfax/auto check came back clean, I'll try to find an e-copy to share. A lot of scheduled maintenance items. Going over it a second time today, I noticed the driveshaft was checked multiple times, but nothing on replacement. Not sure if that's "normal maintenance" or sign of issues before PO dumped it... I hate the internet, I got all worked up about finding a good deal/great car and now I'm afraid the car is going to grenade via driveshaft issues & oil consumption on my drive home.
EDIT: Here is the carfax
From what I saw and you said about the drive shaft I'd lean towards the owner complaining about it and dealer either saying they can't replicate the problem or insisting it's normal. Test drive it yourself. If you hear a whining noise that's an indicator as to it having problems. On my 09' and 12' I had it replaced. I would hear it at around 30-40mph, in urban environment with buildings surrounding you made it easier to hear because the sound would bounce off the buildings. Or going on the HWY and getting up to speed then getting off the accelerator and cruising/decelerating. Acura recognized that AWD models have problematic transmissions and so they extended powertrain warranty to 8yrs/100k miles I believe.

If you're nearby check out SirCarrol's car, I have and prefer umber over black interior.

Edit: that car is out of OEM warranty as expected.

Last edited by HeartTLs; 01-19-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SirCarroll
I have a '12 with Umber interior with 53k miles on it that I posted to FB but have got no hits. Will be putting it on CL in the next day or so. I can tell you where to look if you happen to maybe be interested.
I also have Acuracare on it that can be transferred.
PM Sent
Old 01-19-2016, 12:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
From what I saw and you said about the drive shaft I'd lean towards the owner complaining about it and dealer either saying they can't replicate the problem or insisting it's normal. Test drive it yourself. If you hear a whining noise that's an indicator as to it having problems. On my 09' and 12' I had it replaced. I would hear it at around 30-40mph, in urban environment with buildings surrounding you made it easier to hear because the sound would bounce off the buildings. Or going on the HWY and getting up to speed then getting off the accelerator and cruising/decelerating. Acura recognized that AWD models have problematic transmissions and so they extended powertrain warranty to 8yrs/100k miles I believe.

If you're nearby check out SirCarrol's car, I have and prefer umber over black interior.

Edit: that car is out of OEM warranty as expected.
I did test drive this car yesterday, it seemed to drive fine. I wasn't aware of any whirring sounds, but wasn't explicitly looking/listening for it either. Several funny things did happen while at the dealer though, first, the car battery is almost dead, I noticed it chugging to start right away and then a warning, battery low/consider replacement warning came up. That was amusing. Second, while waiting for my sales guy to come back from his managers corner, I see another sales associate run toward the door and whisper "that delivery truck just backed into some guy's trade in". I secretly hoped it was my car as I would have gotten a great deal at that point, but not so (un?)lucky. Sure enough though, some truck had backed right into a green Gen 3 TL that was getting traded in.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:50 AM
Drifting

I did test drive this car yesterday, it seemed to drive fine. I wasn't aware of any whirring sounds, but wasn't explicitly looking/listening for it either. Several funny things did happen while at the dealer though, first, the car battery is almost dead, I noticed it chugging to start right away and then a warning, battery low/consider replacement warning came up. That was amusing. Second, while waiting for my sales guy to come back from his managers corner, I see another sales associate run toward the door and whisper "that delivery truck just backed into some guy's trade in". I secretly hoped it was my car as I would have gotten a great deal at that point, but not so (un?)lucky. Sure enough though, some truck had backed right into a green Gen 3 TL that was getting traded in.

If you guys were talking or had the music on, it's quite possible you didn't hear it. When I first noticed it I was taking a quick drive to run an errand and didn't bother putting on music, and heard a strange sound. I then turned on the music to rinse my ears, much like eating a piece of ginger while eating sushi to clean your palate. Turned it off and confirmed there was a whining/whistling noise.

Acura batteries are known for dying quickly, I had mine replaced 3 years in. At over 4yrs and 50k miles, I wouldn't be surprised that one is on it's last legs. Was it cold outside? That might also have caused that, mine newish OEM battery which was replaced under warranty somewhat hesitates as well when I start my car for the first time in the morning during very cold weather.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:11 PM
Advanced

Well the car sold yesterday, got an e-mail from the dealer. The search continues...
Old 01-24-2016, 02:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Try to find a CPO one with low miles. Bought my '12 SH AWD with 53,000 on the odometer and bought the extended warranty. Glad I did, because my propeller shaft went out 15,000 miles later. Other than that, car has been an absolute champ.

Good luck in your search. That's the fun part!
The following users liked this post:
HeartTLs (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 12:51 PM
Drifting

Ressling you could have had the prop shaft serviced without the extended warranty since acura has took it upon themselves to extend powertrain warranty to 8yrs/100k miles. Though I also think it's a good idea to buy a vehicle which meets the criteria that allows you to extend the warranty.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Ressling you could have had the prop shaft serviced without the extended warranty since acura has took it upon themselves to extend powertrain warranty to 8yrs/100k miles. Though I also think it's a good idea to buy a vehicle which meets the criteria that allows you to extend the warranty.

They did?

Do you happen to have a link? This is the first I've heard of this - it's good news, if true.

@Ressling: don't give up! Have you considered opening your search to include the '13 & '14 TL, SH-AWD?
Old 01-25-2016, 04:43 PM
Drifting

I don't have it in wirting or a link I can share, but I read it here months ago and my dealer recently confirmed it a few weeks ago. Maybe you can find the link that was posted here or via google search.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:53 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
True story. Just search. This info is easily found.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
FWIW the propeller shaft issue is not the reason why I went with the extended warranty, but it's nice to have peace of mind for nearly another 50,000 miles.