Color Difference between Body and Bumper - CBP and darker color owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Color Difference between Body and Bumper - CBP and darker color owners

Hey everyone,

I have a '10 TL SH-AWD - Black (CBP); I noticed over the last few months that under direct sunlight, the color of the rear bumper is slightly different from the color of the rest of the body of the car. Has anyone else noticed this - especially owners with black and other darker color TLs? I heard this may happen since the body and bumper are made of different material, but just curious. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2010, 03:06 PM
WDP SH-AWD TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I notice the colour is quite different on my white TL and I've seen the problem at the dealer on red, light blue and silver TL's but not black. It seems like 4G TL's are bad for this. I've actually had 2 different people comment that whoever repaired my car didn't do a very good job with the paint match, oh wait I've never had any work done.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
We just walked in from the garage and my 12-year old noticed the same thing on my CBP. I've noticed that when the sun is low, i.e., early morning and near sunset, the bumper looks "blacker" than the body. But under most ambient light conditions they appear perfectly matched. Strange.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
mine seems good...
Old 05-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i have already had my front and rear bumpers replaced since i bought my TL almost a year ago (i know, dont say it). i went to two different body shops for the each repair. the first body shop did a very good job of colormatching. the other shop didnt do as good of a job (keep in mind the second body shop was the one that my local acura dealer uses and the first one was recommended to me by my insurance). in any case, my rear does not match the rest of the body as well as the front. you cant really tell unless you are looking for it. i took them 2.5 days and 3 tries to finally (almost) match my grigio. from what they told me it is one of the most difficult colors to match that honda/acura has ever come up with. they said they needed to make their own paint mix since the one from acura didnt come even close to matching. oh well, hopefully when i get her detailed in the upcoming month it might not be as bad.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
The bumpers are a different color on all of them, as the paint bonds with the ABS different than it lays on the metal. The Pearl white (especially on the 3G) and the CBP are the most noticeable of the bunch.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
The bumpers are a different color on all of them, as the paint bonds with the ABS different than it lays on the metal. The Pearl white (especially on the 3G) and the CBP are the most noticeable of the bunch.
Correct. Any pearl based paint is going to be almost impossible to match on plastic to when it's put on primed metal. This was the same on the 3G body kits as well.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did not notice an issue with my PM until I had to have the bumper fixed. Straight on (perpendicular) both back bumpers OK. From a 45 degree off straight there is a change depending on what surface I am on. Concrete seems to make it show up more.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Instructor

I have Palladium Metallic and I can see a subtle color difference between the body and the bumper on an overcast dizzily day depending on the viewing angle. Looks the same in most other lighting conditions.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Intermediate

This is definitely the case with many automotive brands. As was said earlier, the paint on the abs bumpers isn't always a perfect match with the sheetmetal. I think I read somewhere in the past that it has to do with the different primer (color) used on the abs vs metal. My previous car had the same issue and it was a Nissan. I've also seen it on others cars like Toyotas, etc.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:15 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I've noticed it on my front bumper but only after I had the clear bra installed. I think it was fine before that and the rear bumpwer seems fine and I have the WDP color.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by BigBunks
i have already had my front and rear bumpers replaced since i bought my TL almost a year ago (i know, dont say it). i went to two different body shops for the each repair. the first body shop did a very good job of colormatching. the other shop didnt do as good of a job (keep in mind the second body shop was the one that my local acura dealer uses and the first one was recommended to me by my insurance). in any case, my rear does not match the rest of the body as well as the front. you cant really tell unless you are looking for it. i took them 2.5 days and 3 tries to finally (almost) match my grigio. from what they told me it is one of the most difficult colors to match that honda/acura has ever come up with. they said they needed to make their own paint mix since the one from acura didnt come even close to matching. oh well, hopefully when i get her detailed in the upcoming month it might not be as bad.
I definitely understand this with the grigio. I got rear ended 2 weeks ago and i just dropped my car off at the body shop monday for a rear bumper replacement only.

I got a call yesterday and this morning from the body shop telling me that for the last two day they have been trying to match the paint(grigio).

They said the code was not even close to the car and it takes 9 colors to make grigio.

I got a call this evening saying that they got it as close as possible and that most people would not even notice.

of course the shop knows me and said that i will notice it and said they need to blend it in the quarter panels to be done correct. which the insurance will not pay for.

When the insurance gave me the quote they attached a piece of paper explaining why the bumpers do not match the rest of the car

So I am curious to see it when it is done tomorrow.

This is what the insurance gave me

http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NR/rd...er_9x12_UK.pdf
Old 05-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Wow, damn that's an obvious difference I think just to get their point across. I can only see mine when the sun is at the right level shining on the car... It's a more brown color than straight black when the light shines the right way.