Clear Bra Protector?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clear Bra Protector?

Did anyone installed Clear Bra Protector on front bumper and hood?

I heard it protects the paint, but do I still need it if I have wax applied regularly? (about 2, 3 times a year)

Also, I want to put clear headlight film. Is it neccessary?

As you can tell, I am really new to car stuff so any advise is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
the clear bra will protect the front of your car from the pitting the front of a car gets from lots of highway miles and the cars in front of you throwing stuff like sand your way.

wax will not protect the front of your car the same as a clear bra - think of it like a screen protector for a cell phone

If done right it is great. I had it on my 3G - 1st time the guy doing the install had a tuff time with all the curves and angles.
Later I had it re installed and the this time the installer did a much better job.

I will project your paint - my 3G was black and the front end looked new after 60k miles

down side - I could always see it and I never could get over the appearance (as opposed to naked paint)

head lights - I had done the first time - but left off the 2nd time - but again if you do a lot of highway miles - (esp in winter where they sand the roads)
Old 08-16-2010, 08:57 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be careful if you install yourself. I bought the cover for my Crossfire and the instructions said to stretch the cover as you work it from one side to the other. If you stretch it it causes stress on the material which is noticeable. Also, curved areas are almost impossible to cover without flaws unless you have plenty of practice.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Instructor

The film came on my TL, and I just peeled it off the other day...

Not a good fit for white, IMO. Only one area had actually peeled in 6 months, but too much dirt accumulates on the borders and it's really obvious on WDP. I'd probably try it again, but only on a darker car.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:29 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it safe to use bug remover on the clear bra or will it damage the film?
Old 08-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by crxb
the clear bra will protect the front of your car from the pitting the front of a car gets from lots of highway miles and the cars in front of you throwing stuff like sand your way.

wax will not protect the front of your car the same as a clear bra - think of it like a screen protector for a cell phone

If done right it is great. I had it on my 3G - 1st time the guy doing the install had a tuff time with all the curves and angles.
Later I had it re installed and the this time the installer did a much better job.

I will project your paint - my 3G was black and the front end looked new after 60k miles

down side - I could always see it and I never could get over the appearance (as opposed to naked paint)

head lights - I had done the first time - but left off the 2nd time - but again if you do a lot of highway miles - (esp in winter where they sand the roads)
Agree with the above...I have it on CBP 4G TL and chose to put it on the bumper and grill (yes, the full chrome grill / beak). It is true you can notice it if you look closely, but the protection is well worth it. Caution: pay for the best workmanship you can get. I first took it to Tint World...they did a terrible job halfway through and I asked them to discontinue the work and remove the portion they had done. I found a guy who does work mainly on exotic high end sports cars (not difficult to find in Miami) and he did an absolutely fantastic job with the seams and edging really well cut and almost impossible to notice.

I chose not to do the hood as I really dislike the break and the loss of shine compared to the section without the film. Hood protection is most necessary for cars that have low and sloping hoods which the TL does not.