Check TPMS system on and off

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 09:51 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check TPMS system on and off

Hi all,

Today I was driving on the highway for about 2.5 hours. During that time, I got a Check TPMS system message about 4-5 times. It would come up and the little tire icon would blink for a while then stay solid. After a while, the warning would go away all together and come back randomly.

I've had those rims and tires for a long time now. The TPMS are OEM I am assuming since they are on my OEM winter wheels that the dealer threw in when I bought the car. They are on their second winter now.

Any idea what it could be ? Is it worth taking the car in over ?

Thanks !

Old 03-23-2016, 11:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Some TPMS sensors are powered by a battery that have a finite life. I think our Acura/Honda sensors are of this type. Sounds like you're having an intermittent problem which can be indicative of a battery voltage (end of life) issue. I don't think you can change the battery so the entire sensor must be changed. My ex-wife had one sensor changed (she didn't know why and didn't ask) recently when purchasing new tires for her 2008 Odyssey (145k miles). It cost her about $40, which is probably a non-Honda part. I can buy one for my car from a online Acura dealer for $80 (+ship&handle).

It's plausible that you have one sensor battery that is failing earlier than most. Again, I'm not certain of this diagnosis but it's worthy of investigation on the internet or your tire dealer.

Last edited by Reorge; 03-23-2016 at 11:35 PM. Reason: typo + additional info
Old 03-25-2016, 10:18 AM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Reorge
Some TPMS sensors are powered by a battery that have a finite life. I think our Acura/Honda sensors are of this type. Sounds like you're having an intermittent problem which can be indicative of a battery voltage (end of life) issue. I don't think you can change the battery so the entire sensor must be changed. My ex-wife had one sensor changed (she didn't know why and didn't ask) recently when purchasing new tires for her 2008 Odyssey (145k miles). It cost her about $40, which is probably a non-Honda part. I can buy one for my car from a online Acura dealer for $80 (+ship&handle).

It's plausible that you have one sensor battery that is failing earlier than most. Again, I'm not certain of this diagnosis but it's worthy of investigation on the internet or your tire dealer.
You probably need a new sensor. When mine was failing after my winter tire swap one of them was not reading and the TPMS error came on after 2-3 days. I had an Acura extended warranty so it was covered.

My car is an 2009 and I will changing my tires this year (90000 km) and I will replace sensors as they have a 5-6 year life span.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:01 AM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Did you just get your tires swapped over?

Or maybe the battery on one is prematurely failing
Old 04-02-2016, 05:31 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Had the same issue a while ago. It was in fact my right rear TPMS sensor - Was around $130 for part + installation for aftermarket at Sears (I'm not happy with the nearby central CT dealerships, and that's where I happened to be). The TPMS light in mine went off after changing, but it took a week or so for the tire pressure numbers to all show up in the dash.