Check Charging system, SH-AWD shutoff.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 06:54 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Charging system, SH-AWD shutoff.

Important information:
2012 Acura TL SH-AWD technology package.

My dealership is a Toyota dealership.

I can hear a clicking from the engine, I don’t know where from, it’s loud when I start the car, but once it warms up it can only be heard when the hood is open.

Initial Problem:
12/3/19 My car died about a month ago, warnings came up in this order; Check charging system, Check SH-AWD, Check TCS, then the car wouldn’t shift out of 1st, then died. I had it towed to my dealer.

Abstract:
1/18/20 got my car back, Battery and Alternator were replaced, brand new. Check Battery light comes on when I shut the car off, but that went away and all was fine for awhile.

11/23/20 heading home, got a 45 minute drive ahead of me, all freeway driving. Check charging system and Check SH-AWD warning comes on before the freeway, so I turned off extra electonics and find a spot to park and let it sit for a minute, and call my dealership. I decided to drive it to my dealership, still 40 minutes away. When I got to my dealership and shut it off, the problem went away. They looked at it and said it was a computer issue, I told them my SH-AWD shut off and my windows and wipers were lagging, it has to be more than a computer issue. They denied it could be and sent me on my way.

Current Problem:
At the beginning of my errands for the day (quarter mile from my driveway), Check charging system and check SH-AWD warnings come on. I finished my errands and brought it home.

It starts fine, message does not go away though, and I’m stuck on FWD as the AWD stays off.

Any idea what my issue could be?
Old 01-25-2020, 07:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
It could be a bad battery cable that is corroding internally causing issues. I've seen this happen on the MDX a few times. I'd also hook up a voltmeter to your cig. outlet and see what it says while driving. It should ALWAYS be at 14.4-14.8 with the car on and around 12.1-12.6V when the car is off. Anything above or below those ranges is not good!
The following 2 users liked this post by csmeance:
echodigital (01-27-2020), Moonshadow360 (01-25-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Moonshadow360
Important information:

I can hear a clicking from the engine, I don’t know where from, it’s loud when I start the car, but once it warms up it can only be heard when the hood is open.

Initial Problem:
12/3/19 My car died about a month ago, warnings came up in this order; Check charging system, Check SH-AWD, Check TCS, then the car wouldn’t shift out of 1st, then died. I had it towed to my dealer.

Abstract:
1/18/20 got my car back, Battery and Alternator were replaced, brand new. Check Battery light comes on when I shut the car off, but that went away and all was fine for awhile.

11/23/20 heading home, got a 45 minute drive ahead of me, all freeway driving. Check charging system and Check SH-AWD warning comes on before the freeway, so I turned off extra electonics and find a spot to park and let it sit for a minute, and call my dealership. I decided to drive it to my dealership, still 40 minutes away. When I got to my dealership and shut it off, the problem went away. They looked at it and said it was a computer issue, I told them my SH-AWD shut off and my windows and wipers were lagging, it has to be more than a computer issue. They denied it could be and sent me on my way.

Current Problem:
At the beginning of my errands for the day (quarter mile from my driveway), Check charging system and check SH-AWD warnings come on. I finished my errands and brought it home.

It starts fine, message does not go away though, and I’m stuck on FWD as the AWD stays off.

Could be something as simple as the leads to the alternator are not on tight.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:45 PM
Yes, I'm 1 of those guys

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My 09 religiously wears out a battery every 3 years
Old 01-27-2020, 12:48 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Has the serpentine belt tensioner ever been replaced?
Old 02-13-2020, 09:59 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moonshadow360
Important information:

Initial Problem:

Abstract:

Current Problem:

My wife’s 2010 Base (Tech) has had the same issue, I have changed :3 belts, 1 tensioner, 2 Alternators, 1 battery , and the ELD (located in the engine bay fuse box) #19 in the factory diagram , and still came up, I can’t recall we’re I saw it, but someone claimed it was their Bluetooth module (causing electrical shortages) , well it’s been 3 .5 days since she does not use the Bluetooth in her car , and the result is no check charging system warning