Catch Can install

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 02:26 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Catch Can install

Hey guys
how should I route the two hoses to my catch can?
I see I have a hose from boot going to rear head valve cover,
and a hose going from front valve cover to intake plenum.
which wat is correct way?
thanks
Old 08-04-2022, 02:33 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
Isn't a catch can unnecessary on these port-injected motors?
Old 08-05-2022, 04:46 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
as long as a engine has a PCV which diverts fume's back in intake it would be good to run one. keep those valve extra clean. this has been covered many many times.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:45 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
If you're convinced it'll work, go nuts!
Old 08-05-2022, 10:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,192 Likes on 896 Posts
A catch can isn't a great idea for a NA, port injected street car.

If they were a good idea...then you'd see them on cars from the factory. Right?

How many 200K or 300K mile J series are out in the world? A lot. How many of them do you think have catch cans? Probably 1 or 2?

I'd skip this idea.

You're going to introduce a lot of moisture and contamination into the oil.

Where do you plan to route the catch can outlet to? If you're routing it to atmosphere, then get ready for a very smelly experience inside the car. As well as oil film coating the surrounding areas near your catch can.

If you're routing back to the intake...then...the car already came like that. So...what's the point?

Virtually all cars come with PCV systems. They're designed to work well in their closed loop OE design.

You have a port injected car. Fuel sprays onto your intake valves. Why do you need to protect the valves from oil vapor? Are your valves dirty? If so...its more likely due to the fuel you use.

Chances are your valves are already "extra clean".

Last edited by BROlando; 08-05-2022 at 10:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BROlando:
altair47 (08-05-2022), Jim2301 (08-12-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 10:23 AM
Safety Car

To answer your question, however...

both valve cover breather hoses get plumbed to the INLET of the catch can.

If you want to vent your can to atmosphere like its a race car, then you can cap off the intake manifold suction port with a vacuum plug. You will quickly find out how bad of an idea this is, however.

If you want to vent your can back to the intake plenum, then you just route the OUTLET of the catch can to the manifold port.

Think of creative ways to heat the can. Does it come with coolant routing to keep the can hot? Or?? Just YOLO?

But...I still encourage you to ask yourself why the car didn't come with a catch can. Think about it before you do this.

Last edited by BROlando; 08-05-2022 at 10:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jim2301 (08-12-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 08:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 398 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by BROlando
A catch can isn't a great idea for a NA, port injected street car.

If they were a good idea...then you'd see them on cars from the factory. Right?

How many 200K or 300K mile J series are out in the world? A lot. How many of them do you think have catch cans? Probably 1 or 2?

I'd skip this idea.

You're going to introduce a lot of moisture and contamination into the oil.

Where do you plan to route the catch can outlet to? If you're routing it to atmosphere, then get ready for a very smelly experience inside the car. As well as oil film coating the surrounding areas near your catch can.

If you're routing back to the intake...then...the car already came like that. So...what's the point?

Virtually all cars come with PCV systems. They're designed to work well in their closed loop OE design.

You have a port injected car. Fuel sprays onto your intake valves. Why do you need to protect the valves from oil vapor? Are your valves dirty? If so...its more likely due to the fuel you use.

Chances are your valves are already "extra clean".

BROlando (08-06-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 05:21 AM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
I’ve been wanting to install a catch can but figuring out where to mount it is the hardest part
Old 07-07-2024, 03:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but would someone be able to explain why catch cans aren't necessary on port injected engines? I would have figured that with the j37's oil burning problems that installing a catch can would be a common mod for people to do on these cars.
Old 07-09-2024, 05:54 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Lunar448
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but would someone be able to explain why catch cans aren't necessary on port injected engines? I would have figured that with the j37's oil burning problems that installing a catch can would be a common mod for people to do on these cars.
The catch can does nothing to prevent or help oil burning.

But you may be asking "why not install a catch can on a car that's already burning oil via worn piston rings?"

Valid question, since the blowby would cause more oil mist to be produced and enter the intake tract. Adding a catch can would catch some of that mist before it made it to the intake tract.

Problem with catch cans is proper venting and moisture build up.

Proper venting can be done with some cunning.

Moisture, however, is harder to avoid. Moisture will build up inside the can and then will make its way into your oil. Most catch can systems on the market aren't heated and don't return the catch to the crank case.

Introducing moisture into your oil will make the car burn more oil. And will shorten the lifespan of your oil. Your poor oil has to deal with fuel dilution from the worn rings already. With a catch can, it also has to deal with nasty, dirty assed, water being introduced.

I'd rather just forego the catch can and let the oil mist enter the intake manifold and let the fuel wash the intake valves off. Port injected cars have that going on.

The reason that manufacturers use catch cans (actually they're AOS's) on direct injected cars is to catch the oil mist in the crankcase ventilation before it makes its way to the intake ports. Reason?

The crankcase pressure is high and the fuel dilution is also high, since you're directly injecting fuel at high pressure. So more oil mist is produced.

If you then suck that oil mist into the intake manifold and lay it all over the intake valves...you'll cake the valves in oil and carbon very fast. There is no fuel spraying on the valves to wash them. So the carbon will just build and build.

That's why you see AOS's on direct injected cars. OEM AOS's are heated and will return condensed oil back to the crank case via some sort of valved drain. So they're also more complex than a can you buy on eBay.

bryan916 (07-11-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 07:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 398 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by BROlando
The catch can does nothing to prevent or help oil burning.

But you may be asking "why not install a catch can on a car that's already burning oil via worn piston rings?"

Valid question, since the blowby would cause more oil mist to be produced and enter the intake tract. Adding a catch can would catch some of that mist before it made it to the intake tract.

Problem with catch cans is proper venting and moisture build up.

Proper venting can be done with some cunning.

Moisture, however, is harder to avoid. Moisture will build up inside the can and then will make its way into your oil. Most catch can systems on the market aren't heated and don't return the catch to the crank case.

Introducing moisture into your oil will make the car burn more oil. And will shorten the lifespan of your oil. Your poor oil has to deal with fuel dilution from the worn rings already. With a catch can, it also has to deal with nasty, dirty assed, water being introduced.

I'd rather just forego the catch can and let the oil mist enter the intake manifold and let the fuel wash the intake valves off. Port injected cars have that going on.

The reason that manufacturers use catch cans (actually they're AOS's) on direct injected cars is to catch the oil mist in the crankcase ventilation before it makes its way to the intake ports. Reason?

The crankcase pressure is high and the fuel dilution is also high, since you're directly injecting fuel at high pressure. So more oil mist is produced.

If you then suck that oil mist into the intake manifold and lay it all over the intake valves...you'll cake the valves in oil and carbon very fast. There is no fuel spraying on the valves to wash them. So the carbon will just build and build.

That's why you see AOS's on direct injected cars. OEM AOS's are heated and will return condensed oil back to the crank case via some sort of valved drain. So they're also more complex than a can you buy on eBay.
I agree that the catch can won't do with any oil burning, but the ptston rings aren't worn out, they're just clogged and stuck.
Old 07-10-2024, 05:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by altair47
I agree that the catch can won't do with any oil burning, but the ptston rings aren't worn out, they're just clogged and stuck.
Fair enough. I just meant that combustion and oil is getting past the rings in some way
The following 2 users liked this post by BROlando:
altair47 (07-10-2024), bryan916 (07-11-2024)