Cars.com Reader Review of the Week: 2009 Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cars.com Reader Review of the Week: 2009 Acura TL

If you’ve had to drive a big car for a while because your family requires the space, it can be refreshing to get behind the wheel of a car that can really move. At least, that’s what PADriver from Pennsylvania found after purchasing a 2009 Acura TL. According to this driver, the TL was the right car for the right price. The flaws are evident, but the combination of speed, practicality and a good deal makes it a winner.

“I looked at the TL in 2004, but with a family of four it was a no-go because of the room in the backseat. I thought the new 2009 model was finally adequate, so I bought the car. I just got the base two-wheel drive without the tech package for a price well below the price I expected to pay. It may be buying on Jan. 2, 2009, but it was way below sticker and nearly at invoice. No other car can match that with the performance. I test-drove the Accord V6, and it was just plain boring and didn't evoke any emotions in me.

“I am coming from two SUVs, so this car handles like a dream to me. People may not like the new grille, but after parking next to an older TL (not sure of the age), it looked like a grandpa's car to me. This car looks modern. All my friends like the look. No naysayers yet.

“My only gripes are no fold-down backseat (which I knew), big wide tires (going to cost me to replace), and the shifter doesn't have an indicator next to it (it does on the control panel in front though). Backing up is tricky, as there are some blind spots and the seats will not be for everyone. I love the headlights.

“There may be other cars which are faster and have better handling, nicer interiors, better stereos (get tech package if you must, but the base stereo is pretty darn good), but for this price? Forget it. Driving so far has averaged right around 20 mpg for local and highway combined. Waiting for that first long trip to see what it can really do.

“By the way, I'm no speed demon, but I laugh when the Camrys, Accords and SUVs get on my tail or try to pass. The power is instant and throws you back into the seat. My kids keep telling me to stop it.”