Car Stolen and Recovered. Need help with next steps.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 04:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Stolen and Recovered. Need help with next steps.

Hi All,

I am not sure if this post is relevant here, forgive me if it is not.

So here is what happened. My Car (2011 Acura TL) was stolen from near my apartment on the 5th of Sep. I got a call from the cops that it is recovered with damage on the 7th.

The Car is currently at the Tow facility. The Insurance Inspector has inspected the damage and given me an estimate for the repairs. I am currently out of town and will not be able to go look at the car myself until the 14th.

Looking at the inspectors notes, it looks like the car has been in an accident. There are dents on the right door and bumper and also the stationary glass on the right back door is broken and one of the rear tail lights is broken. Also one of the wheels is missing - the spare wheel is installed on the car right now. The insurance company now wants me to choose a body shop where they can send the car for repairs.

Their assessment states that they will replace the rear bumper, repair the door and front bumper and replace the glass and tail lamp. But i have a feeling that the car will look very uneven with some parts being new, specially one new rim and tire.

Also, the issue is that the car was stolen with one of the keys.

I have a few questions :

1. Is the insurance evaluates assessment final in this matter or we have a say in it?
2. Will the insurance company cover the cost of replacing both keys and locks on the car?
3. What is the kind of damage that i am looking at in terms of the resale value of the car?
4. Is there something else that i should ask the insurance company to cover - apart from the obvious damages? I would atleast like them to cover a full detail to clean out the interiors of the car.

I am not sure how to deal with this type of situation so i would appreciate any help i can get.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
My condolences. A very sad and stressful event indeed. What state are you in? Consider yourself lucky. I think in some states the insurance company is not obligated to cover the damage if the thief obtained the key out of the owner's negligence. I hope you didn't leave it in the car (hint; hint).

#1. ?? #2 Need to be answered by your insurance company; it depends on your contract with them. #3. Resale: Depends on the type of damage. If it's bolt-on parts probably very little. #4. Ask them.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:47 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Reorge
My condolences. A very sad and stressful event indeed. What state are you in? Consider yourself lucky. I think in some states the insurance company is not obligated to cover the damage if the thief obtained the key out of the owner's negligence. I hope you didn't leave it in the car (hint; hint).

#1. ?? #2 Need to be answered by your insurance company; it depends on your contract with them. #3. Resale: Depends on the type of damage. If it's bolt-on parts probably very little. #4. Ask them.
Thanks Reorge.

I am in Georgia.

The damage is mostly some dents on the rear passenger side of the car and bumpers. Will require some body work and new bumpers.

i did not leave the key in my car, it was left in a friends car parked nearby 😊 Thieves broke into his car - mostly to grab his gps unit on the dash we assume and found my keys in the car.

I will ask them about the interior detail.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Something doesn't smell right here. Why were your keys in your friends car? They found your car keys in your freinds car and took the time to look for your car? What? How much can your "friend" be trusted. How well do you know this person?

Last edited by Mr Marco; 09-11-2016 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:37 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by yassir
Hi All,

I am not sure if this post is relevant here, forgive me if it is not.

So here is what happened. My Car (2011 Acura TL) was stolen from near my apartment on the 5th of Sep. I got a call from the cops that it is recovered with damage on the 7th.

The Car is currently at the Tow facility. The Insurance Inspector has inspected the damage and given me an estimate for the repairs. I am currently out of town and will not be able to go look at the car myself until the 14th.

Looking at the inspectors notes, it looks like the car has been in an accident. There are dents on the right door and bumper and also the stationary glass on the right back door is broken and one of the rear tail lights is broken. Also one of the wheels is missing - the spare wheel is installed on the car right now. The insurance company now wants me to choose a body shop where they can send the car for repairs.

Their assessment states that they will replace the rear bumper, repair the door and front bumper and replace the glass and tail lamp. But i have a feeling that the car will look very uneven with some parts being new, specially one new rim and tire.

Also, the issue is that the car was stolen with one of the keys.

I have a few questions :

1. Is the insurance evaluates assessment final in this matter or we have a say in it?
2. Will the insurance company cover the cost of replacing both keys and locks on the car?
3. What is the kind of damage that i am looking at in terms of the resale value of the car?
4. Is there something else that i should ask the insurance company to cover - apart from the obvious damages? I would atleast like them to cover a full detail to clean out the interiors of the car.

I am not sure how to deal with this type of situation so i would appreciate any help i can get.
I'll answer these questions at face value without considering any particulars of your situation.

You get to choose which shop your car goes to. A good shop will be able to match the paint pretty well on the door and blend adjacent panels if necessary, so that any paint differences will be hard to perceive by human eyes. Choose your body shop wisely. You have a bone to pick about only getting one tire replaced if your TL is AWD. Tell your carrier that you need both tires on the axle replaced due to the AWD system, and how it might perform due to the different tread depths. They might give you 2 new tires for safety reasons. If you have a FWD TL, you might have to make due with one new tire. Regarding the rim, you're out of luck. One is all that needs replaced, one is all you'll get.

1. You do have a say in it. However, since your vehicle is recovered, you get your vehicle back. You won't be getting any pocket money.
2. You'll get one key replaced. The dealership should be able to reprogram both keys (1 new, 1 old).
3. You'll have a salvaged title. Your car's value will take a hit. You're insurance company will not reimburse you for any diminished value.
4. An interior detail should be part of the estimate the appraiser wrote. If not, you can request one. This is a reasonable request, and your insurance carrier shouldn't have an issue with it.
5. (Bonus) You owe your Comprehensive deductible.

Last edited by princelybug; 09-11-2016 at 12:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by princelybug:
Reorge (09-11-2016), yassir (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 04:23 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Something doesn't smell right here. Why were your keys in your friends car? They found your car keys in your freinds car and took the time to look for your car? What? How much can your "friend" be trusted. How well do you know this person?
I know how it sounds, but honestly that is what happened. We have been having a lot of car break in's where i live. And my friend dropped me at the airport and i just left my bunch of keys in his car.
Unfortunately his car got broken into and the cars were parked close enough so a simple button press would have been enough to identify my car. I know it was stupid on our part. Lesson Learnt the hard way !!!
Old 09-13-2016, 04:44 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by princelybug
I'll answer these questions at face value without considering any particulars of your situation.

You get to choose which shop your car goes to. A good shop will be able to match the paint pretty well on the door and blend adjacent panels if necessary, so that any paint differences will be hard to perceive by human eyes. Choose your body shop wisely. You have a bone to pick about only getting one tire replaced if your TL is AWD. Tell your carrier that you need both tires on the axle replaced due to the AWD system, and how it might perform due to the different tread depths. They might give you 2 new tires for safety reasons. If you have a FWD TL, you might have to make due with one new tire. Regarding the rim, you're out of luck. One is all that needs replaced, one is all you'll get.

1. You do have a say in it. However, since your vehicle is recovered, you get your vehicle back. You won't be getting any pocket money.
2. You'll get one key replaced. The dealership should be able to reprogram both keys (1 new, 1 old).
3. You'll have a salvaged title. Your car's value will take a hit. You're insurance company will not reimburse you for any diminished value.
4. An interior detail should be part of the estimate the appraiser wrote. If not, you can request one. This is a reasonable request, and your insurance carrier shouldn't have an issue with it.
5. (Bonus) You owe your Comprehensive deductible.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I really appreciate it.

The initial damage assessment is about $2450 which includes cost of replacing one tire. I will ask for 2 tires and see if they approve and also one key.
I am planning to take the car to an Acura Service station that has a body shop, hopefully they do a good job. I just hope the fresh paint does not stick out, because my car is parked out in the sun most of the time.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:11 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Best of luck! Taking it to the dealership bodyshop doesn't guarantee the best quality repair. Just because it's the dealer doesn't mean they have the best painters or body technicians who do metal work. Then again, maybe they do? Make sure to do your research, and then decide.