Old 01-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canada.com: Acura's 2009 TL SH-AWD Takes On Our Worst Weather

Keith Morgan
The Province
Friday, January 02, 2009

The snowplough edition of the all-new Acura TL
came in very useful over the surprisingly white Christmas we have just endured on the south coast.

I believe SH stands for Super Handling and after spending more than a week driving through treacherous city conditions there is no doubt that it lives up to its moniker. However, more about its performance later -- let's brush off the snow and take a look at its shape.

On the Surface

The new model is a complete redesign from the tire-tread up. It's 15 centimetres longer and marginally wider and higher. Lines divide the sides into lower, middle and upper areas, so that each catch the light slightly differently, accentuating the dynamic shape. The grille has a platinum-like finish that makes it appear to float at the front of the car. Two large air ducts below the bumper complete the aggressive, sporty look and, as I discovered, create a snowplough effect.

Under the Skin

Flowing metallic lines and wood-patterned accents add to the luxury feel of the cabin. Thickly bolstered leather seating grips the occupants. A 10-way adjustable driver's seat enables minute changes in seat positioning.

All the driver's controls and instruments are well-positioned and within easy reach, to ensure attention need not be distracted from the road ahead. The tester had the technology package, so it was loaded with best six-disc CD and stereo system, complete with auxiliary iPod jack, satellite radio and Bluetooth connectivity. The Acura navigation system is arguably the easiest, most intuitive system on the market. The solar-sensing, dual-zone, dual-mode automatic climate-control system with auto humidity control was indeed a blessing during the bad weather, finishing off my windshield-scraping job easily and heating the cabin within minutes of "wagons roll."

Keeping Safe

Six airbags, including dual-stage front and side, active front head restraints, ABS anti-lock brakes, electronic brake-force distribution, vehicle-stability assist with traction control, tire pressure monitoring.

Under the Hood

The base model comes with a 3.5-litre powerplant, but the SH-AWD Technology edition tester derived its power from a 3.7-litre, 24-valve, 305 h.p., SOHC VTEC V6, coupled with a five-speed auto transmission with paddle shifters.

Carbon Footprint

Estimated annual carbon-emissions are unavailable but for the 3.5-litre version, they are 4,944 kilos.

Fill-up Frequency

12.3/8.1 litres/100 km/h (city/highway)

Warranty Support

Full vehicle, four years/80,000 km; powertrain, five years/100,000 km; corrosion, five years/unlimited km; accessories, four years/80,000 km; roadside assistance, four years/ unlimited km.

Quick Spin

I can't tell you what driving the new TL is like under normal conditions, because for the duration of the test drive I encountered only the worst of winter weather. Goody.

The car was not shod in winter tires; goodness knows how much better it would have been if it did have grippier tread. Still, while its competitors were spinning out, this beast just kept to the straight and narrow. Takeoff on ice, soft snow and packed ice was truly remarkable. Only the very worst of the freeze made traction difficult at startup, but some judicious use of the reverse gear and the lowest forward gear got me out of trouble. I've never been hot on AWD in a sedan, but this made me a convert. I'll get back to you about its other attributes when I've tried it out in decent weather this coming summer.

My Take

A prestige car, offering surprising performance for 10 grand less than many of its competitors.

Bottom line

Prices range from $39,990-$47,990. Tester price: $47,990

kmorgan@theprovince.com

© The Vancouver Province 2009