Buying SH-AWD 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 10:32 PM
BigBubblesNoTroubles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buying SH-AWD 6MT

Looking to buy a 2012-2014 SH AWD manual transmission. Have owned 07 TLS MT, and 03 CLS MT, both great, seems SH AWD MT won't be any different.

Q1 - Aside from oil burn, are there any issues to watch out for or have checked? Any failures seen in the AWD or torque vectoring, motor mounts, clutch, etc.?

Q2 - From 2012-2014, did they only offer black interior for the manuals?
Old 06-26-2024, 07:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A1. Worn Camshaft

A2. Yea, comes with black interior, I have a back on back
Old 06-26-2024, 08:13 AM
BigBubblesNoTroubles

Originally Posted by Tl6m
A1. Worn Camshaft

A2. Yea, comes with black interior, I have a back on back
Thank you!
Old 06-26-2024, 12:00 PM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
They are solid cars and offer something almost unavailable today -- advanced AWD coupled with a 6MT. I've had my 2010 since new.

The only other thing I'd add to look for is a potential drive shaft bearing issue. This happened a lot to the earlier cars (2009-10) but it seems far less a problem on later years. Essentially the "propeller shaft" bearing (which supports the drive shaft to the rear wheels, had a tendency to foul its bearing under some conditions. Knock wood, I've not had the problem, but it's not a complicated fix to replace the bearing and/or shaft. Symptom is a "tea-kettle" type of whistle from under the car while it's in motion, particularly at speed.

Have the car checked by a mechanic and if all seems well, go for it. They are great cars, and will make your old TLS seem like a dinosaur in comparison (as great as those cars were).
Old 06-27-2024, 12:02 AM
BigBubblesNoTroubles

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
They are solid cars and offer something almost unavailable today -- advanced AWD coupled with a 6MT. I've had my 2010 since new.

The only other thing I'd add to look for is a potential drive shaft bearing issue. This happened a lot to the earlier cars (2009-10) but it seems far less a problem on later years. Essentially the "propeller shaft" bearing (which supports the drive shaft to the rear wheels, had a tendency to foul its bearing under some conditions. Knock wood, I've not had the problem, but it's not a complicated fix to replace the bearing and/or shaft. Symptom is a "tea-kettle" type of whistle from under the car while it's in motion, particularly at speed.

Have the car checked by a mechanic and if all seems well, go for it. They are great cars, and will make your old TLS seem like a dinosaur in comparison (as great as those cars were).
JM2010, insight appreciated. The Type-S is certainly a dinosaur, but those lines!

I'm in a good position to wait for the right one. 🤞
The following users liked this post:
JM2010 SH-AWD (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 11:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,192 Likes on 896 Posts
The clutch engagement and manual transmission driving dynamic is WAY WAY WAY better than the 3G. A lot of engineering went into the 6MT experience on the 4G. Special motor mounts, suspension, throttle mapping, etc. I read about it somewhere on the nerdweb...but can't find the link. Fascinating stuff.

The 3G clutch action was massively bad. The 4G's updated clutch is crisp, light, and refreshing.

Its a super super under rated car in terms of driving experience. But if you read all the journalist reviews from when they were new, you'll see all the praise for driving dynamics and balance. Friggin exquisite.

The 3.7 does burn oil, has no cylinder liners, and can wear cams. But all that can be remedied via 5K mile maximums on the oil change interval, and using good driving habits.

Last edited by BROlando; 06-27-2024 at 11:48 AM.
JM2010 SH-AWD (06-28-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 12:07 PM
BigBubblesNoTroubles

Originally Posted by BROlando
The clutch engagement and manual transmission driving dynamic is WAY WAY WAY better than the 3G. A lot of engineering went into the 6MT experience on the 4G. Special motor mounts, suspension, throttle mapping, etc. I read about it somewhere on the nerdweb...but can't find the link. Fascinating stuff.

The 3G clutch action was massively bad. The 4G's updated clutch is crisp, light, and refreshing.

Its a super super under rated car in terms of driving experience. But if you read all the journalist reviews from when they were new, you'll see all the praise for driving dynamics and balance. Friggin exquisite.

The 3.7 does burn oil, has no cylinder liners, and can wear cams. But all that can be remedied via 5K mile maximums on the oil change interval, and using good driving habits.
The man, the myth, the legend! Bryan pointed me to ymur posts. Much respect for the work put in, and descriptions.

Interesting to hear your perspective on the 3g clutch. I like the bite of that clutch. Excited to drive the 4g.
Old 06-27-2024, 04:47 PM
Safety Car

Haha Bryan is a legend too.

What I didn't like about the 3G clutch is that its heavy, vague, spongy, and engages at the floor like a tractor.

Difficult not to be lurchy. Super unlike any other Honda clutch.

If you close your eyes while driving a 4G (not recommended), you'd think that you were in a torquey RSX. Perfect clutch and shifter action. The car feels a lot lighter and smaller than it is.
JM2010 SH-AWD (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 11:46 AM
BigBubblesNoTroubles

Originally Posted by BROlando
Haha Bryan is a legend too.

What I didn't like about the 3G clutch is that its heavy, vague, spongy, and engages at the floor like a tractor.

Difficult not to be lurchy. Super unlike any other Honda clutch.

If you close your eyes while driving a 4G (not recommended), you'd think that you were in a torquey RSX. Perfect clutch and shifter action. The car feels a lot lighter and smaller than it is.
Agree with the tricky response of the 3g tl. Only way I found it smooth to shift was when driven fast, which is great unless you're in traffic.

Happy you chimed in. Was literally about to buy your old car and theaiming didn't work. Have a lot of respect for how you took care of that gem.
Old 07-02-2024, 12:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Eli J
Agree with the tricky response of the 3g tl. Only way I found it smooth to shift was when driven fast, which is great unless you're in traffic.

Happy you chimed in. Was literally about to buy your old car and theaiming didn't work. Have a lot of respect for how you took care of that gem.
Thanks buddy.

Since the car is up for sale again, I'm hoping it goes to a good home.

Did you get your 4G yet? And how does it drive?