Buying extended warranty after the fact (on 2010 TL)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 03:18 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Buying extended warranty after the fact (on 2010 TL)?

First time posting here and hopefully this is a simple question. I purchased a 2010 TL AWD w/ Tech last October (one of the first to arrive at the local dealer) and did NOT go with an extended warranty at the time (just kept saying "no, no, no" in the F&I office to get out of there).

So I've hard the car for several months now and have had ZERO problems with it. I love it and it's a blast to drive.

Enjoying the car this much, especially with all the tech in it, has me thinking that maybe the warranty would be a good idea - I'm NOT a guy who buys a new car every few years so I anticipate having it for quite a while. But I also don't typically buy extended warranties (on gadgets, appliances, etc).

In browsing around these forums, I've found out a few things:

1. It seems that the only warranty to get is the AcuraCare warranty from Honda.

2. It sounds like I CAN get the warranty after the fact, provided the car has less than 6K miles (it's currently at 5400, so I gotta act quick).

3. I gather that it USED TO BE possible to purchase the warranty online from any Acura dealer and there were some great deals out there -- but not the case any longer?

4. It's still not clear if I need to purchase it from the same dealer I bought the car with, or whether I can get it from any Acura dealer in the area (there are a couple equal distances from me)... Or maybe I get it direct from Acura at this point? I assume it's honored at any dealer.

5. Sounds like anything over $1500 for the longest available term is possible over-paying.

Any insight/advice you have on how to proceed with this is much appreciated.

JD
Old 04-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Advanced

Honestly, you may be better off getting a warranty when you get closer to the end of your current. Reason being if you decide to get rid of your car, total it, or it gets stolen you're making payments on something you may never use. Go with a reputible warranty company which you can find online.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I got my 02 TL-S I didn't buy an extended warranty until near the end of my original warranty. I paid around $2K for it to get extended to 100K miles or 3 years. Well...luckily for me it "paid off" because I had some problems with the car which would have cost me over $2K if I paid out of my own pocket so the warranty was worth it.

When I got my TSX V6 the finance manager offered me this "deal". I could get an extended warranty that went up to 120K miles and an extra 3 years (whichever came first) and it also included free service maintenance for the first 3 years like oil changes IF I paid like $2,500 at the time I paid for the car. This deal would only be valid at the time of purchase. I could not get the same "deal" after I got the car. If I bought an extended warranty afterwards it would be like $2K but only cover like an additional 12K-24K additional miles.

Anyway...sucker or not...I got the additional warranty because I plan to keep the car until at least 100K miles.

Oh yeah...and the extended warranty is transferrable if I decide to get rid of the TSX.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup...the extended warranty is honored at any Acura dealership.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:08 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the info thus far, gang.

A couple more data points... I called the dealership I purchased it at and got transferred to the Finance office. The guy I spoke with there gave me what I suspect is the MSRP quote for the 8yr/120K $0 deductible warranty - $2400. Again, this is just Acura Care as I don't want to mess with some other 3rd party thing. It sounds like you can save $100 by getting the $100 deductible, though obviously that savings is negated if you need the warranty more than once. I didn't bother trying to negotiate down just yet, but...

So then I look around online and find it available for around $1400 from other Acura dealers (not in my area)...

I guess I need to do some more research here -- especially with regard to buying it from some other Acura dealer (not in my state). That price difference is huge. It looks like you can't buy it directly online (which maybe has changed recently), but you can request it online and then do the deal over the phone... so - more research.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:11 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Give a call to Curry Acura In Mass. I got a 100k/7 year/$0 deductible warranty (AcuraCare, of course) for $1150. As you already know, it doesn't matter where it was purchased, it's honored by any Honda/Acura dealer and is fully transferable if you decide to sell your car.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just don't think most of the warranties are worth the money. I have to bet that most people who purchase them don't come out ahead or they wouldn't sell them. If you have a major failure like an engine or transmission it would be covered until 6 years or 70,000 miles so that money is being spent for just 30,000 miles of coverage for major repairs.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:29 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jvette
I just don't think most of the warranties are worth the money. I have to bet that most people who purchase them don't come out ahead or they wouldn't sell them. If you have a major failure like an engine or transmission it would be covered until 6 years or 70,000 miles so that money is being spent for just 30,000 miles of coverage for major repairs.
You are, of course, correct that the "loss ratio" on these warranties is probably around 50% but if you own a TL with tech just one electronic gremlin can easily set you back $2000. I wouldn't buy it for a base car but for one with the tech package, I think it's worth the piece of mind. I would not have purchased it if it were not fully transferable. I think telling a potential buyer that they have full coverage up to 100k is a really valuable selling tool.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:49 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
...but if you own a TL with tech just one electronic gremlin can easily set you back $2000. I wouldn't buy it for a base car but for one with the tech package, I think it's worth the piece of mind.
Exactly my thinking... I've never purchased extended warranties in the past. But I tend to keep my cars for quite a while and with both Tech and SH-AWD, I figure the "failure points" are much greater on this car than with others I've owned. Spending $1500-ish to not sweat it for 96mos/120K seems worthwhile.

I'll give Curry a call on Monday and have also been in touch with Bernardi. Sounds like it's pretty straightforward and I haven't found any horror stories from folks buying from them remotely (yet - let me know if I'm missing something!).
Old 04-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Try this link for a good price through Hyannis Honda.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=slbible