Buying a 2010 TL SH-AWD w/Tech and HPT

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 02:50 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Buying a 2010 TL SH-AWD w/Tech and HPT

So here is what I am looking at building/buying. What do you all think is rough range I would be looking to pay?

2010 Acura TL-SH AWD w/ Technology and HPT Manual in Crystal Black Pearl with Ebony Leather

Also I want to have the following options installed.
Splash Guards
Remote Engine Starter System
Sport Grill
Rear Sport Trim
Rear Seat Covers
Trunk Tray
Door Edge Film
Cargo Net
Also would like best price on 7yr/100,000mile Extended Warranty w/$0 deductible
Old 05-23-2010, 05:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Make them throw in 7 years of Acuralink and the all season floor mats.

The edge film, cargo net, seat covers, splash guards; all going to be much cheaper after the fact than as line items dealers don't budge on very often.

Last edited by Pseudomaniac; 05-23-2010 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
Make them throw in 7 years of Acuralink and the all season floor mats.

The edge film, cargo net, seat covers, splash guards; all going to be much cheaper after the fact than as line items dealers don't budge on very often.
Are you saying its easier to have this done after the purchase of the vehicle and go back at a later time to haggle thouse? I've never bought a brand spankin new, just gently used

So Acuralink is a paid service too (similar to OnStar fee based?) Didnt even think of that one more thing to haggle the dealer with.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Instructor

thouse=those lol... (couldn't edit)
Old 05-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

You'll find those accessories for about 40% less than what the stealership charges in person from other less stealershipy stealerships, online. Check out bernardiparts.com for some generally competitive pricing.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
You'll find those accessories for about 40% less than what the stealership charges in person from other less stealershipy stealerships, online. Check out bernardiparts.com for some generally competitive pricing.
Thanks for the link, went and checked prices figure Acura.com states my options run about $1536 (MSRP) and $1131 at BP. So roughly 400 savings! I'll definitely order the simple items from them for sure if my local dealer is rough on their direct prices. As for ones that need actual installation though I'll try to bring them down directly at the dealer...

Still awaiting response sent offer for the TL configured as listed above out the door, waiting for the counter offer lol. I think I was fair for everything out the door especially considering I am walking into the dealer and handing straight cash over!
Old 05-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
ditch the splash guards and get a underbody kit. It does wonders for the TL.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Drifting

Received 566 Likes on 365 Posts
About 38K (before taxes, tags, license) seems like a good OTD price in most places outside Cali and the Northeast for a SH-AWD with "standard" dealer-installs (e.g., wheel locks, splash guards, door edge guards).
Old 05-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

You would be able to do everything except the engine starter (and it's probably not hard) and the rear chrome trim (bumper removal) yourself pretty easily. If you're going to get the splash guards vs doing the body kit, I'd reccomend doing the door trim as well, and the self install looks pretty simple on it as well. Another $150 or so online - $200ish at the stealership.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
remote engine starter with a manual...let me know how that works
Old 05-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
remote engine starter with a manual...let me know how that works
I don't understand how it works, but I've seen people install them before on MT's. I would assume it means you can't park your car in gear, which is a major no-no.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:07 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
^
Not only that, but your key fob might be rendered inoperable once the engine's started. So, if your car door is locked, you'll have to actually put the key in the keyhole and turn to unlock your door. It'll be like not having keyless entry.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by IrishTR
So here is what I am looking at building/buying. What do you all think is rough range I would be looking to pay?

2010 Acura TL-SH AWD w/ Technology and HPT Manual in Crystal Black Pearl with Ebony Leather
Also I want to have the following options installed.
Splash Guards
Remote Engine Starter SystemSport Grill
Rear Sport Trim
Rear Seat Covers
Trunk Tray
Door Edge Film
Cargo Net
Also would like best price on 7yr/100,000mile Extended Warranty w/$0 deductible
The 2 things I made bold in your post may be an issue. First, I'm not sure if the factory remote start can be installed in a 6MT. I wouldn't put anything other than a factory system in these cars, I've witnessed major problems arising from aftermarket systems in Acuras using a "one touch start system" (basically all current Acuras excluding the TSX).

Secondly (and many people don't realize this) HPT is not a dealer installed accessory. HPT cars come from the factory like that and actually have a different VIN code than the other models. Whether or not you can find this car will depend a lot on where you live. It is extremely hard to get these cars in the snow belt states b/c the HPT will render yor car useless if there is 1/4 inch of snow on the ground. Because they are cars that can only be sold during the summer months (in the snow belt) most dealers won't order them in the first place.

Good luck on the purchase
Old 05-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by princelybug
^
Not only that, but your key fob might be rendered inoperable once the engine's started. So, if your car door is locked, you'll have to actually put the key in the keyhole and turn to unlock your door. It'll be like not having keyless entry.
Ugg... horrible. I know they tried to sell me that when I signed the finance papers... All I said was, I'm getting the MT, and the guy just looked at me sideways... Who knows if it supports it, but having to park it not in gear is enough of a bad idea to never get that for an MT.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:57 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010
Ugg... horrible. I know they tried to sell me that when I signed the finance papers... All I said was, I'm getting the MT, and the guy just looked at me sideways... Who knows if it supports it, but having to park it not in gear is enough of a bad idea to never get that for an MT.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Any M/T keyless setup I've seen/done/installed for people has an option on it: On the automatics, the wire goes to the neutral safety switch, basically requiring it to be in park when started. On the Manuals, it goes to the ebrake engage (not saying it's engaged well enough to hold the car still) just that it's engaged. Obviously the starter isn't going to turn the engine with it in gear - or it'll be followed by that burning electronics smell when you try it anyway...

I never have really understood the need for the manual start...I guess I get it, but, whatever.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:22 AM
Instructor

I have used Remote start on my RSX just fine and its manual. Had it on my Civic too. Honestly and please correct me if Ive been wrong these last 20yrs of driving, I never leave my car in gear because I've seen to many stupid retards get in their cars (in gear) start and boom jump forward into walls, houses, etc. Why do you leave it in gear? Neutral and Ebrake is what I've always done and never gives any problems with Remote Starts.

I've always lived in super hot ass areas of So Cal and now Texas. Being able to remote start my vechile from inside my offices while walking to the parking lot is a god send (lets the vehicle especially with black leather (as majority of them are) to cool down.

As another person mentioned I think the dealer will not do it because I noticed when I selected the model on acura.com that option disappeared, I'll have to look again not sure if it was because the HPT or Manual option as I was bouncing back n forth because I want a different color than whats allowed in Manual so I was looking at Auto (but I really don't want a friggin automatic! I've got the Yukon Denali XL for that!) So we'll see.

As for the HPT comment there are plenty down here in Texas available.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by IrishTR
I have used Remote start on my RSX just fine and its manual. Had it on my Civic too. Honestly and please correct me if Ive been wrong these last 20yrs of driving, I never leave my car in gear because I've seen to many stupid retards get in their cars (in gear) start and boom jump forward into walls, houses, etc. Why do you leave it in gear? Neutral and Ebrake is what I've always done and never gives any problems with Remote Starts.
I've seen quite a few photos of people who didn't leave the car in gear, and their handbrake line broke and their car rolled into houses, fences and other cars. Dangerous and crazy stuff. I think you are like most people, that don't park in gear. But it's a good habit to get into, unless of course you have a remote starter, then I don't think it's going to work.

I can't believe some MT drivers would get in their car and NOT know to put the gear back in neutral after starting the car before letting the clutch out. I guess it's all about how you're taught, since drivers ed does not teach standard.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by petec2010
I've seen quite a few photos of people who didn't leave the car in gear, and their handbrake line broke and their car rolled into houses, fences and other cars. Dangerous and crazy stuff. I think you are like most people, that don't park in gear. But it's a good habit to get into, unless of course you have a remote starter, then I don't think it's going to work.

I can't believe some MT drivers would get in their car and NOT know to put the gear back in neutral after starting the car before letting the clutch out. I guess it's all about how you're taught, since drivers ed does not teach standard.
Yea I think it goes by how taught and so forth. Shame that Driver's Ed is more focused on "Blood Flows Red on the Highway" rather than actual Driving education!

I totally agree with putting in gear on a hill, slope or what have you. But in some way doesnt that put the strain on the transmission to some effect, much like the other route would put strain on the parking brake. Ah well, turns out the Remote Start isnt a dealer option on the manual anyhow so one less item I have to haggle haha...

Thanks all for the responses thus far, if only the dealer was as quick (then again I am complaining from 7000miles away!)