Buying a '10 SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 01:54 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a '10 SH-AWD

So... I am looking to pull the trigger on a 2010 TL SH-AWD. I actually have a choice of 2 vehicles, from 2 different places: an 5AT w/o tech, or a 6MT w/tech.

Here is the dilemma: the AT is in really nice condition - I wouldn't be able to tell it wasn't brand new. The 6MT is in rougher shape, particularly the interior. I was actually a bit repulsed by it, but I could get over it after a good detailing perhaps. Perhaps. Both have ~30k miles, so they are under warranty. They are priced just under $28k and $30k, respectively.

I know everyone raves about the 6MT over the 5AT, but after driving them both back-to-back, I have to say I actually preferred the 5AT w/paddle shifters. This may also have been influenced by the condition of the 6MT, but I tried to make a decision on the drive train 'around town'. This may also be a sign I am getting old, which is a bit distressing in and of itself.

The tech package would be nice (it is essentially the same as what we have in our Odyssey), but I can live without it (all I really want/need is bluetooth audio, which the base has).

I am coming from a 6MT Mazda RX-8, which I love but am outgrowing (plus I feel the engine is a ticking time bomb once it is out of warranty). I love that car in the MT, but for some reason I feel the 5AT suits the SH-AWD better. The SH-AWD in AT also seemed a bit faster around town (not on a track), with the speed more 'accessible' (if that makes any sense). Does anyone else have that same opinion?

I have the option of waiting for another 6MT SH-AWD (I have a buyer agent going to auctions this week), so I am curious if it is across-the-board unanimous opinion on the board here that the 6MT is vastly superior, given the condition of the vehicle I had to test.

And yes, I realize that I may just be looking for validation...
Old 03-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
LOL I'm debating over a similar scenario. '10 shawd non tech is still a sweet whip. First gear is kinda jerky under 3k rpm though. I have it and love it but I want a 6MT really bad. The tech pack are more sought after though and that helps with resell value. Condition and mileage is also a big factor if you're deciding sell it. Get whatever one you are satisfied with. If you're not happy with something and end up buying it anyway, you might regret it down the road. GL!
The following users liked this post:
zoink (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 11:57 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
The tech package is very useful. If the 6MT-tech's interior is too messed up, look around more to see if you can find another one or a 5AT-tech.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
For FWD I think you could get a new one w/Tech for just a little more than the used one if you time your purchase right and use proper negotiation skills. Otherwise get the used MT.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
zoink, I have a 2010 TL SH-AWD 6MT & Tech package that I am going to sell. It is silver ext./black int. with 13k on odo. It is absolutely as clean as new. What part of the country are you located?
Attached Thumbnails Buying a '10 SH-AWD-p1090026-640x480-.jpg  
Old 03-12-2013, 05:44 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Little Gator
zoink, I have a 2010 TL SH-AWD 6MT & Tech package that I am going to sell. It is silver ext./black int. with 13k on odo. It is absolutely as clean as new. What part of the country are you located?
Hey Little Gator, I am located in northern Indiana, not too far from Michigan. Whereabouts are you, and do you know what you are wanting for the car? The rub is, I've already put a deposit to hold the other car, but I could probably work something out if I had to (or just eat the deposit).
Old 03-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Instructor

I am loacted in Dallas, Texas.
I was hoping for a long shot that you were a lot closer than that.
But if you have a deposit down on a car, than it must be good enough have entered the deal.
Enjoy the TL.

Last edited by Little Gator; 03-12-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
I was also looking for a 2010+ TL 6MT, but purchased a 2009 RL to complement the S2000. I absolutely love the paddle shifting as it is always active and holds downshifts on hills. I could almost come to a stop without braking. The tech package is nice as it can sync BT audio for google nav and podcasts. But the nav is very dated, almost unusable. Not sure if the trans and nav are the same in the TL. The pricing was about the same for CPO TLs and RLs, despite the higher MSRP of the RLs. Kind of wish I drove a TL 6MT, but the AT with AWD works excellent and will be great for the commute.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Little Gator
I am loacted in Dallas, Texas.
I was hoping for a long shot that you were a lot closer than that.
But if you have a deposit down on a car, than it must be good enough have entered the deal.
Enjoy the TL.
Yup, that is quite the drive away! I put the deposit on the 5AT version w/o tech, the condition is quote good (it was the local exotic place that had it, nestled between 2 Ferraris and a Maserati. They do a good job detailing!). The 6MT was at another dealer, and looked rough (and the leather was all messed up). Good luck selling it! BTW, it looks like we put similar mileage - I average now ~1500-3000 mi a year.

Originally Posted by zoink
Yup, that is quite the drive away! I put the deposit on the 5AT version w/o tech, the condition is quote good (it was the local exotic place that had it, nestled between 2 Ferraris and a Maserati. They do a good job detailing!). The 6MT was at another dealer, and looked rough (and the leather was all messed up). Good luck selling it! BTW, it looks like we put similar mileage - I average now ~1500-3000 mi a year.
I should have proofread more before submitting - by that, I meant to wish you the best of luck in selling your car, it is very nice, and looks very clean. It will be a great find by someone!

Originally Posted by pcloadletter
I was also looking for a 2010+ TL 6MT, but purchased a 2009 RL to complement the S2000. I absolutely love the paddle shifting as it is always active and holds downshifts on hills. I could almost come to a stop without braking. The tech package is nice as it can sync BT audio for google nav and podcasts. But the nav is very dated, almost unusable. Not sure if the trans and nav are the same in the TL. The pricing was about the same for CPO TLs and RLs, despite the higher MSRP of the RLs. Kind of wish I drove a TL 6MT, but the AT with AWD works excellent and will be great for the commute.
First - I love your username

I had similar feelings - our Odyssey has the nearly identical Nav unit in it, and it works OK. But I always find I preferred Google maps on my phone anyway.

BTW, even without the tech package, the 2010 TL SH-AWD base can sync audio for Google nav just fine - I made sure to try it out before putting the deposit on the car, because that was an important feature for me.

So, I liked the paddle shifters well enough to forgo the MT. The thing about buying used vs new, is that it is an entirely different shopping method - each used vehicle is essentially unique, depending on mileage, condition, maintenance, dealer trust, etc.. - whereas with new, you can shop on almost pure spec and options, without (most of) those considerations.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-12-2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by zoink
I should have proofread more before submitting - by that, I meant to wish you the best of luck in selling your car, it is very nice, and looks very clean. It will be a great find by someone!
Thanks. I am afraid that when it is gone, I will miss it.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Zoink, welcome to Acurazine.

In the lower right hand corner of each post, the middle icon is a Multi-Quote button. It allows you to respond to more than one person in a single reply.

Be sure to give it a try!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Honestly, the 6MT is my favorite thing about my car. Well, that and the SH-AWD

I strongly prefer to row my own though. If you are not that worried about it then pull the trigger on the 5AT and its well kept interior.

Good luck!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:00 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Love my 6MT and would recommend the 6MT... Like someone said earlier, look for a 6MT in better condition...
Old 03-13-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
6MT for the MOTHERFUCKING win!

For real tho;
it's the better car.
all around it is superior to its AT counter-part.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Go with the 6MT SH-AWD.

I think by now I drove all of the 4G TL's: FWD, AWD, AT and MT. 6MT is the way to go and if you must get AT then get the 6-speed AT SH-AWD. 4 hours ago I just returned '12 FWD AT Tech loaner car and that car was by far the worst TL I've ever driven. In fact it was so bad that I called the dealer and told them to finish up my car ASAP, so I could get back in my 6MT. Whatever you get, don't settle, because you will regret it.