Bumper buddy

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Bumper buddy

So I need to be going into the city more and using street parking terrifies me. I wanted to get a bumper guard / buddy to hang over my back bumper when I parked and the. Just keep it in my trunk.

I see some have some bad reviews, does anyone have one that they like?
Old 01-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
The issue with bumper protectors is that they will help block bumper to bumper contact damage but if your car is dirty and you use it they will also scratch your paint up. If you're parking in downtown New York or something, I'd still get one since I'd prefer to do simple paint correction instead of taking my car into get my bumper repainted every month. Remember that it's not just your rear bumper but your front as well that can take a beating.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:15 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
just don't be that guy who gets lazy and ends up driving his car with the bumper buddy flapping around.

Last edited by omgitsspooky; 01-14-2016 at 01:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by SlyAccord
So I need to be going into the city more and using street parking terrifies me. I wanted to get a bumper guard / buddy to hang over my back bumper when I parked and the. Just keep it in my trunk.

I see some have some bad reviews, does anyone have one that they like?
trailer hitch works way better
Old 01-14-2016, 02:17 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
+1
Old 01-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Originally Posted by SirCarroll
+1

Wrong. I often park in NYC and use parking armor brand bumper protector. I have the largest (padded) size available which covers most my TL bumper. The trick to using it properly is to put it offset towards the corner where a vehicle behind you would pull out of. So for example if you're parked on the right side of a curb you want it to be set towards the left side of your bumper. The reason for this is when a motorist behind you pulls out or is parking they're most likely to hit the middle of your bumper or the corner of the side opposite for the curb.

As other members stated it does cause light scratches in the paint, which I paint correct myself 2-3x a year and you shouldn't drive with it out.

As for protecting the front of you car which to me is the most important since I'm lowered and don't run a front plate, requires a lot more work. I recommend strategic parking. I make a very strong effort to park in spaces that don't permit other motorist to park in front of me; specially SUV's because they'd literally sit on my front bumper if they back into me. I park at the end of a street, so I'm the first car or maybe the last spot near a hydrant which doesn't stop ppl from parking in front of me, but makes it less likely. Lastly, if I can't find that type of spot I'll park in a way to give the vehicle in front of me maximum clearance so they're less likely to hit me, but not enough clearance so that long wheelbase or a Suburban can fit in the spot in front of me once the person that was there leaves. I refuse to park behind an SUV unless I'm going to be running in and out. It's a PITA keeping your ride mint in NYC .