Bummer...my windshield cracked....best option to replace???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Bummer...my windshield cracked....best option to replace???

Today with my huge surprise I discovered a very long crack on my windshied, starting from the very top edge (the rock did hit just an inch under the upper edge, I can see the spot) and going down and right.....no repair option, the glass need replacement...I never had to replace a windshield before.

So what is the best option?? I'm terrified at the idea of doing the job at a Speedy Autoglass store or similar place.....minimum wage kids with very little attention to detail....

I'm paranoid about the A pillar inside cover and roof liner to be protected from scratches and dirt, the chrome trim, alignment, engine bay plastic cover at the case of the windshield, the rearview mirror correct mounting and so on......do the Acura dealers do this kind of repair and hopefully with care and the right way to do it??

Can I put an original factory windshield?? The windishield replacement is going to show up on report when I'm going to trade my car in??

So what is the best way to proceed??.....I hate the idea of my car not looking like original from the factory.....

Thank you....
Old 03-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine got cracked 10 months after I got the car. I had the replacement company get me Acura glass. They insisted the glass all comes from the same manufacturer, but I told them I wanted to see the Acura logo on it. Insurance said I would have to pay the difference which was under $200 on top of my $100 glass deductible. Somehow the glass company worked a deal with them and I only paid the $100 deductible. Got lucky the installer was a guy who had been doing it forever and he did a great job. Been over a year now and no problems and he didn't scratch anything.

Installer also told me the glass comes from a place near me and only difference is the logo on the glass. You can insist they give you the OEM Acura glass, but you may end up paying the difference.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by blkhwkz
Mine got cracked 10 months after I got the car. I had the replacement company get me Acura glass. They insisted the glass all comes from the same manufacturer, but I told them I wanted to see the Acura logo on it. Insurance said I would have to pay the difference which was under $200 on top of my $100 glass deductible. Somehow the glass company worked a deal with them and I only paid the $100 deductible. Got lucky the installer was a guy who had been doing it forever and he did a great job. Been over a year now and no problems and he didn't scratch anything.

Installer also told me the glass comes from a place near me and only difference is the logo on the glass. You can insist they give you the OEM Acura glass, but you may end up paying the difference.

Did you noticed any difference at all?? Warped trims, alignment, rearview mirror mounting issues??
Old 03-26-2012, 05:55 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I had many windshields replaced on all of my vehicles. The cost of living in NJ with all these highways. Anyway I used Safelite Repair to replace all of the windshields. The warranty is lifetime and the repair was flawless. A little bit more than the normal, but it's certainly worth it when a replacement windshield was needed for the original replacement.

I haven't had a replacement needed on my current vehicle but I have learned that there is now an available option of windshields with lamination. They cost more but are most definitely worth it!!! Read up about it.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by saturno_v
Did you noticed any difference at all?? Warped trims, alignment, rearview mirror mounting issues??
Not a single issue or difference. I compared the glass before he installed it and it was identical. Mirror mount is pre-installed so all they have to do is move the rearview mirror onto it after they are done with install.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:41 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Originally Posted by Road-Rager 1
I had many windshields replaced on all of my vehicles. The cost of living in NJ with all these highways. Anyway I used Safelite Repair to replace all of the windshields. The warranty is lifetime and the repair was flawless. A little bit more than the normal, but it's certainly worth it when a replacement windshield was needed for the original replacement.

I haven't had a replacement needed on my current vehicle but I have learned that there is now an available option of windshields with lamination. They cost more but are most definitely worth it!!! Read up about it.
I thought all auto windshields are made of laminated glass in order to be DOT approved.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
I thought all auto windshields are made of laminated glass in order to be DOT approved.

Yes, but not all windshields are the same. Before I bought my TL I was looking at a G8 GT and a common complaint was after replacing the windshield there was a lot more roadnoise. That's because the G8 uses a special type of "acoustic" glass. I doubt that's the case with Acura, but it's not "all the same".
Old 03-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
There is a laminate within the windshield. In a few words, it divides the two sections (outer and inner). I seen these windshields in action and they are amazing. The penetrability is almost zero and if a collision occurs it acts as a "blanket" of sorts. It's almost like a bulletproof windshield but at a far lower cost!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I had to have the windshield replaced on an Accord a few years ago - also, a few months after purchase. I "cheaped out" and got no name glass, because the glass company said it was all the same. NOT TRUE!! The no-name glass was HORRIBLE! You could see fine lines and teeny tiny spots/dots throughout the ENTIRE thing. I was so irritated. The cost of the "Honda glass" was about $100 more, but at the time figured I didn't want to spend an extra $100 for esstentially the same thing. If I ever need to get my windshield replaced on my TL, I'm getting "Acura glass" - and not hesitating to pay the higher cost.

Don't believe those windsheild guys when they say it's all the same - you get what you pay for!

Ps. I used SafeLite and had a good experience w/ the installer - came out to my office and only called me down twice (start of the job and the finish of the job). I've had other people use them and complained about the tech being a jerk. Guess it all depends on who you get.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Banned

I'm definitely putting an Acura original glass.....waiting for approval from my insurance.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:26 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
I'm definitely putting an Acura original glass.....waiting for approval from my insurance.
yes please go with oem..

anyone know if the value of the car will decrease with non-oem glass?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by potmilkz

Very interesting question....I know that peopel shopping for used cars do check on these things....I do....

I'm already pissed as hell that I have to change the windshield (paranoid about trims getting bent/loose, etc...) on a car less than 1 1/2 years old, on top of that I'm not going to put a non original glass on my car....
Old 03-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced

yes please go with oem..

I know I have traded in cars with non-oem replaced windshields and they didn't offer me any less for that. One car the glass got cracked on the way home from work the night I was trading it in. The dealer was going to take money off the trade (about $800 they said) so I spent the $100 decuctible and traded it in an hour after it was installed.

Also I forgot the installer that did my TL had the non-oem glass too for another Acura he was doing the same day. Side by side they looked the same, with same codes printed on them. Just one had the Acura logo and one didn't.

If it happens again I would pay the extra for the Acura glass. Still not 100% convinced that it's the same acoustic glass minus the logo. Or maybe it's just that I would feel better seeing the logo in the corner, so I don't sit there questioning if it's the same or not every time I drive the car.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes please go with oem..

I doubt the vast majority of buyers/dealers would ever notice or care.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I wonder if the non oem windshields use the "acoustic glass"

ACOUSTIC WINDSHIELD
Special acoustic glass is used on the TL windshield to help reduce wind noise. Tuned specifically to attenuate wind-noise frequencies, the windshield uses two layers of 2 mm safety glass with an in-between layer of a transparent elastic acoustic membrane for a total thickness of 4.5 mm. The windshield (like the side windows and 5 mm thick rear window) is UV light absorbing. The acoustic windshield (in conjunction thick side windows) helps position the TL at the top of its class in wind-noise performance.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by crxb
I wonder if the non oem windshields use the "acoustic glass"
The place I dealt with claimed they did.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Banned

Today I finally replaced my windshield, I used the OEM glass.
I had to pay the difference our of pocket ($247 including taxes) but now I purchased an additional OEM endorsement from my insurance which cover every part including glass.
Unfortunately I did not even know that (my wife usually handle all the insurance in the house) you could have a policy which did not cover OEM parts and she thought our policy did. However from now on (hopefully never to be used) both our cars and my stepson vehicle have OEM coverage.

I'm extremely satisfied with the job, I used All Star Auto Glass in Seattle, recommended by my Acura dealer.
Even resorting to my best nitpick abilities, I could not tell the difference between factory installation and this job. Extremely clean, every trim is perfectly replaced, every rubber seal is firmly and correctly aligned. In a word, fantastic.

I never had to replace a windshield in my life before so I was a bit nervous......and in the far past I saw some piss poor windshield replacement job....glue overboard, trims flopping around, leaks, etc...