Black Shawdy w Tech, seeking some help for mods !

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 07:10 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Shawdy w Tech, seeking some help for mods !

What's up AZ family ! New member on here and new owner a 2009 TL SH AWD Tech package !

I've been reading this forum for a while and finally bought mine! I have some questions I hopefully I can get some answers from you guys.

-Front grill and rear panel paint job: I want them to be both black, I've read these 2 have to be treated like metal for the paint job is that right ? Also is there a DIY to get those 2 pieces out? I couldn't find it on the forums.

-Coilovers and wheels: I will most likely end up with BC coilovers or Tein SS. I don't want to slam it too much. Maybe between 1 and 1 1/2. Do I really need a camber kit if I don't drop it too much ?

-Headlights: I'd love to modify the orange reflector (could I swap it to a white one?) Or do I need to buy 2 headlights.

-I've always wondered what does the Aspec models have more than the SH-AWD Tech if anyone knows !

Thanks in advance guys !
Old 06-25-2016, 07:13 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-26-2016, 07:54 AM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts
A-Spec has aero kit and 19s. You are probably going to get new rim and tire package and I would put winters on your 18`s because you are Quebec. Those 2009 tires are probably almost done.

Welcome to the community!
Old 06-26-2016, 12:33 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 427 Likes on 349 Posts
Nice purchase.

I don't drive the 09 but I'm sure the removal of the grill and rear boomerang is similar. Everything is much easier if you remove the bumpers. The grill is just held on by bitch clips and the top and bottom. The rear has plastic inserts, you can either tap or wrap a flat head and slowly pry it out or remove the bumper and push it out from the back side.

When you install coilovers you don't have to install a camber kit but you should get an alignment. Installing camber kits will help save your tire's lifespan but it will still take a long time to go through the tread without.

As for headlights, you have a few options. First you can buy the Depo black housings off eBay which are almost $600. Second you can send yours out to someone who can modify them for you which will run you around the same if not more depending on shipping and what all you want done. The second option means you won't be driving until your headlights are back. Lastly you can do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined. There's a couple places that sell the clear reflector inserts.

Echodigital answered the question about the Aspec model. I personally feel the lip kit is a must for a sporty look. You won't regret that purchase.

There is plenty of info on here. If you can find what you're looking for, don't be afraid to ask.