Bike racks, not seeing a lot on the forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bike racks, not seeing a lot on the forum.

Not finding a lot of info on bike racks on the forum for 4th GEN TL.

I found one or two that installed a hitch, but no pics other than up close which looks like an eye sore. Wonder if it is less noticeable from 10+ feet away.

Also looking to see if anyone has used any trunk mount ones that would be appropriate for high speeds.

There has to be more than a few people on here that have bike racks. Right?

I put mine in the back seat last weekend and now have a six inch black streak on the hump of the floor in the back seat that will not come out. Luckily the stains on the leather came right out with Zaino's leather in a bottle.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Those trunk mount units usually end up causing damage to the paint. You can do the Yakima roof rack (for a little over $500) but they also can damage the paint/seals. I recommend an RDX/MDX.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:38 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
personally.. i dont think a tl should have a bike rack.. makes a 40k car look like a cheap car.

bike racks only look good on coupes IMHO.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
It's an Acura, not a VW.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
It's an Acura, not a VW.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah just like the other day I saw a TL with an Uhaul trailer hitch. WTF?!?!?!?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Those trunk mount units usually end up causing damage to the paint. You can do the Yakima roof rack (for a little over $500) but they also can damage the paint/seals. I recommend an RDX/MDX.
This is the second time that you have recommended an RDX/MDX. Not very helpful. If I or the other person on the other thread wanted an RDX or an MDX, we would have bought one. I am looking for people that have experience with different bike racks on a TL.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Advanced

Actually none of these replies are helpful.

Anyone out there that want to give some good advice instead of arrogant opinions.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by realgone
Actually none of these replies are helpful.

Anyone out there that want to give some good advice instead of arrogant opinions.

well i posted here but here is what your asking for.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz

That looks retarded. I would rather dismantle the bike, put the frame in the back seat and wheels in the trunk.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Registered Malcontent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeez, tough crowd! The guy just asked for some info on a bike rack.
It's not like he's going to put one on your car.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
The OP asked about getting one or info on one, not opinions on how they look.

I seem to recall a thread not long ago about a roof mount rack for a 4G that looks better than the one shown here.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a trunk mounted rack and it works just fine. You just want to make sure the pads and contact points with the car are clean to avoid any damage.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CE8Q8wIwAg

As for the folks who don't think it is "classy", you are not making a fashion statement with the rack you are simply trying to transport your bike. If you think it lacks as an accessory, I suggest putting a 10K + bike on the back. Then you will turn the heads of the car lovers and the bike lovers.
The following users liked this post:
realgone (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by diddy_nyc
That looks retarded. I would rather dismantle the bike, put the frame in the back seat and wheels in the trunk.

You can't because the trunk is too small (See the other thread)..LOL
Old 06-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Yakima roof rack for bikes and also skis. Once you have it set up for your car it take only a couple minutes to take off and put back on. If you get one get the spoiler to because without it you will get a lot of noise from the rack.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
personally.. i dont think a tl should have a bike rack.. makes a 40k car look like a cheap car.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by muggs
Jeez, tough crowd! The guy just asked for some info on a bike rack.
It's not like he's going to put one on your car.

this is true but i honestly think it comes with the territory. SMH i've been on this site to long i think i am becoming one of them .
Old 06-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TRIUMPHT
this is true but i honestly think it comes with the territory. SMH i've been on this site to long i think i am becoming one of them .
Noo! Don't let them do to you what they've done to me! I used to be a nice guy on here... once upon a time
Old 06-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Noo! Don't let them do to you what they've done to me! I used to be a nice guy on here... once upon a time

LOL smh i was to. After all the harsh comments and harsh inputs i've been changed . Working on getting back to civilization.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Advanced

I am a woman by the way and I am not sure if most of you realize this, but with the exception of a hitch, these racks come on and off pretty easily and are not permanent and would only be used when transporting a bike. I am a cyclist, but I also have good taste in cars. My last car was a G35 Coupe and I had read many posts on those drivers havin success with the King Joe and Saris racks as long as you have several good coats of wax on the trunk. I am looking for the same answers on a different car.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by FunEGuyCN
I have a trunk mounted rack and it works just fine. You just want to make sure the pads and contact points with the car are clean to avoid any damage.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CE8Q8wIwAg

As for the folks who don't think it is "classy", you are not making a fashion statement with the rack you are simply trying to transport your bike. If you think it lacks as an accessory, I suggest putting a 10K + bike on the back. Then you will turn the heads of the car lovers and the bike lovers.
Have you taken the bike on Interstate? That is the only thing holding me back on a trunk mount.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Suzuka Master

I am a woman by the way and I am not sure if most of you realize this, but with the exception of a hitch, these racks come on and off pretty easily and are not permanent and would only be used when transporting a bike. I am a cyclist, but I also have good taste in cars. My last car was a G35 Coupe and I had read many posts on those drivers havin success with the King Joe and Saris racks as long as you have several good coats of wax on the trunk. I am looking for the same answers on a different car.
Pics please.. of your bike~!

Did you try to search the forums for a bike rack? I know there was a thread with one about a month ago..
Old 06-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Advanced

I don't ave any pics on this computer, but here is a good pic of the same bike.

http://www.ciclosgetxo.net/uploadfil.../DSCF02561.jpg
Old 06-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have the yakima rack for my boards. Once assembled, it's easy to put on and take off the roof. Had it for two years and no visible scratches. I'm happy with mine.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Here's that thread I saw:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=bike+rack
Old 06-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
as for people complaining about a bike rack on an acura.. well...

Old 06-29-2011, 05:11 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Originally Posted by jwjang86
as for people complaining about a bike rack on an acura.. Well...

Old 06-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

^^^ And that would be a VW, albeit, an expensive one.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you taken the bike on Interstate? That is the only thing holding me back on a trunk mount.
Yes, we travel from DC to the Blue Ridge mountains (about 40 miles mostly on highways) with two road bikes and the rack works fine and has not damaged the paint at all. We used the same rack on our old car too and never had any issues.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by FunEGuyCN
Yes, we travel from DC to the Blue Ridge mountains (about 40 miles mostly on highways) with two road bikes and the rack works fine and has not damaged the paint at all. We used the same rack on our old car too and never had any issues.
That sounds perfect. I do not want a hitch because that is permanent.

By the way to the other poster, that car above is not a VW. The only thing they have in common is the same Corporation owns them. They are not putting VW engines and parts in that vehicle and visa versa and VW headquarters are not in Italy, but Lamborghini is. I take it you were just trying to make a funn.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Gallardo frames and the engine internals are built at the Neckarsulm plant in Germany, by Audi. The frame, body, interior, and even electronics are all Audi sourced. The engine was a co-venture between the pasta-rocket kings and the krauts; but is essentially the same 5.2L 90 degree V10 that Audi has progressively developed for the last 10 years. There's something like 15,000 of them on the road; it's a mass production car (respective to the supercar market, where runs of less than 1000 vehicles are much more common).

Now, the real question is "is the bike rack German or Italian?"
Old 07-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Advanced

Gallardo frames and the engine internals are built at the Neckarsulm plant in Germany, by Audi. The frame, body, interior, and even electronics are all Audi sourced. The engine was a co-venture between the pasta-rocket kings and the krauts; but is essentially the same 5.2L 90 degree V10 that Audi has progressively developed for the last 10 years. There's something like 15,000 of them on the road; it's a mass production car (respective to the supercar market, where runs of less than 1000 vehicles are much more common).

Now, the real question is "is the bike rack German or Italian?"
And your point is?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's an Audi S4, not an Acura TL, under that frame. Of course, the Audi's seats fold down, so if the OP had that car, the rack would be unnecessary.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

And your point is?
Step 1. Log in.
Step 2. Click on thread.
Step 3. Read ENTIRE thread.
Step 4. Chime in.

You skipped step 3 I think.

That bike racks are a bit more prevalent on VWs, not Acuras, all in good humor of course, and having nothing to do with owners of vehicles prone to frequent major electrical failures having an alternate means of transportation attached to their vehicles at all times....
Old 07-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That bike racks are a bit more prevalent on VWs, not Acuras, all in good humor of course, and having nothing to do with owners of vehicles prone to frequent major electrical failures having an alternate means of transportation attached to their vehicles at all times....
LOL! My Audis haven't given me any problems, but that was phrased perfectly!
Old 07-03-2011, 02:16 AM
Advanced

Step 1. Log in.
Step 2. Click on thread.
Step 3. Read ENTIRE thread.
Step 4. Chime in.

You skipped step 3 I think.

I did read the thread and commented on how lame it is to call a super car like the one above a VW as if it is the same thing.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Sheesh, the OP asked for help in finding a bike rack for her car. Why does it have to turn into a judgement call or yet another "My Audi's...."? Pretty sad
Old 07-05-2011, 07:44 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
OP-it depends on the frequency of your riding. i'm against trunk racks b/c of the paint issue. i'm also totally against the dismantling of my bike and cramming into my car. its disrespectful to my bike and my car.

your options come down to a hidden hitch and hitch rack (which may effect your car's handling with the extra weight hanging off your back end) OR a roof rack. i have a thule roof rack for my 3G TL been on there since day 2 of ownership new. i've had yakima mounts and bars with thule bike mounts on previous cars. makes life easy when you want to go ride and you don't really have to worry that the trunk rack and your bikes will go flying off on the highway. the downside of the hitch rack, if you get rear ended...your bikes will be destroyed and the hitch rack will be shoved into your back seat (i've seen another members hitch rack and trunk after it was rearended, not pretty).

roof rack...you can leave it on during the riding season (in some cases year round, in which case it's a permanent fixture on your car) and then take it off during the winter months when its just too darn cold to ride. the roof rack also allows you to spot your car in a parking lot easier, plus at least it gives a different look. the roof rack on my TL, makes it a bit more sporty and an extension of the owner. so do what you like (budget, convenience, preference), its your car. there is a therad on here with a roof rack on a 4G TL gives it a different look.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:43 AM
KES
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you are going to be traveling with just you and your bike consider getting a bike box and putting the bike in it and loading it into the back seat. This would be the best way to protect the bike both physically and from theft. However if you have other passengers and other bikes this offers a limited solution.

I would choose a roof rack over a hitch rack if you are concerned more concerned about protecting the bike as you can remove the front wheel and mount to the fork and rear wheel. Drawback is having the rack on full time and of course you need to remember not to drive into the garage. Check with Yakima I believe they have racks where the feet remain on the roof of the car and you can easily remove the bars.

A hitch mount is not a bad solution as the hitch is barely noticable. Just make sure you buy a good rack that does not muck up the bike paint. Drawbak is the trailer racks tend to be heavy.

FYI - I find cars and bikes are an ugly marrige especially if you want to protect the bike. I have a custom made bike that protect with great care!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
I did that with my Porsche and got grease all over the carpet. Me=Idiot.
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

You have got to be fucking kidding me. Sometimes it is better to just tell everyone that you have all the cool toys rather than show off.

Quick Reply: Bike racks, not seeing a lot on the forum.