The AWD Driving Dynamic

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile The AWD Driving Dynamic

I would like to begin a discussion regarding the driving dynamic of the SH-AWD. What do you think?

First off and I believe most of the member on the board will agree, the OE tires are absolutely rubbish on the AWD TL. This Michelin MXM4 will destroy by the weight of the car plus the horsepower that is distributing when it kicks in. We understand that Honda use MXM4 as a overall tire package for their line. However, we all understand that the AWD TL is the current Type-S version. Why would they make such a decision to decrease the characteristics of the sportiness on the vehicle? A lots of member have switched to a better performance tire compare to the OE one in order to get the best juice out of the package. Did you find the vehicle handle significant better afterward?

I been doing few quick turn on the AWD TL since I bought it and I find the TL is actually a tail happy car. With the weight shifted to the front and fitted with some mamapapa tire. I can feel the tail is swinging outward when I take some quick turn. Been an owner of 2 rwd vehicle and 2 fwd and it is such a big leap for me to an AWD system. The throttle during turn has completely throw me off during driving because of my natural instance tell me not to do so. I will simply back off to try to re-gain traction/balance during the turn when I was driving the previous car. This TL!! Just want me to pump more gas !! The AWD system definitely correct the driving line and force the car to get back to where I want, but at the same time it swing out due to the tire lost it traction.

What are your opinion over the driving dynamic of the AWD TL? Do you pleased by the auto correct or you still prefer the RWD drifting style? Do you find the system give you significant advantage against our rival like IS/G37, 3series, etc..and after all, What is your opinion over the car's behavior?

Happy Sunday and I hope all members have a great day!

P.S: I can't wait to see how the new NSX will rank itself against in the supercar group
Old 07-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
First of all, I disagree with your assessment of the Michelin stock tire. Stock tires are specified for a reason, to provide the maximum number of new buyers with satisfaction. The TL wanted to position itself as a intro level luxury car, not a pure handler. The Michelin tires are great all around tires. Putting summer performance tires on this car would have improved handling but the short tread life and poor snow handling would have really bothered a large segment of the TL buying population.
But I agree with you that the SH-AWD deserves some discussion. This is a front heavy car which could be expected to understeer, but instead the SH-AWD powers the outside rear wheel around. Not exactly the same as power oversteer, instead it is something that feels like it, except there is a lot more control. I have been experimenting with different air pressures to see if I can invoke a little more oversteer, which you usually can get by overinflating the fronts, and underinflating the rears. I do wish that the stock dampers did more damping, as I detect quite a bit of float during a turn, unless the road is perfectly smooth. Has anyone here ever increased the diameter of the rear sway bar on an SH-AWD car?
Old 07-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterPort
I have been experimenting with different air pressures to see if I can invoke a little more oversteer, which you usually can get by overinflating the fronts, and underinflating the rears.
That's exactly why Acura recommends 37 front 32 rear on the HPT models.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Nice rant...Manufactures put the least expensive tire on the car that they can get away with.

You can get ANY tire you want, on any car you want. You just need to add it to your loan and shell out the dealer mark-up. -OR- Dump those MX4's and get some new wheels and tires yourself.

Michelin PSS FTW
Old 07-29-2012, 07:25 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,156 Likes on 827 Posts
Stock tires are crappy, and even the best all-season tires are crappy.

The 4G AWD TL deserves to wear the highest performance summer tires with the stickiest summer compound in the summer, and the best performing snow tires in the winter.

Don't settle for anything less.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-31-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
Honda puts mxm4s on civics. They wear well but aren't remotely what you'd consider a performance tire.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Advanced

I agree with PeterPort regarding how Honda put MXM4 to let most people be "happy" with their car. Honda should definitely defeine a better class to Type-S model vs regular model. Acura are sporty overall but lack of that final punch on their line up. There is never a car that can do all job and that's the only time I like Lexus to build a F-line performance car out. I hope Honda see this and add the Type-R spirit on their vehicle.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
I plan to put winter tires on this year with the stock 18" TECH wheels, and then upgrade wheels and summer performance tires next spring. The stock Michelin's are tolerable at best. Really sad considering what those Pilot's cost - tire rack has them for $227/per. That's not a cheap tire! What's worse? Their ratings! Almost 2000 reviews and 3.5/10 would buy again? This is a shit tire that Acura had no business putting on a quality automobile! I can only assume they got a hell of a deal on these things considering average joe's like us can get a great set of conti's or goodyear's for less than $200/tire. Every survey I've filled out for Acura has included a rant on the stock tires
Old 07-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Guess it's because I got the Advance pkg, but I have the Goodyear RSAs on my SH-AWD.

Not my favorite all-season tires -- they're surprisingly noisy -- but for handling they are fine.

Wear doesn't matter as if they last awhile... great! If not... great! I can get some performance Michelins, Continentals or Pirellis sooner.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by stars_fan
That's exactly why Acura recommends 37 front 32 rear on the HPT models.
but on the AWD they recommend 32 all around.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
ESCO, where are you!?
Old 07-31-2012, 03:33 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey LAWS,

I have the same issues as you. I've come from mostly RWD drivers (Lincoln LS V8, Nissan Silvia) and I can't seem to manage to understand or feel the threshold for handling. I can't push the car hard enough to fail it, but it does feel like there's understeer with the front end weight. I do run my tires 30-32 upfront, and 36 in the rear, but can't assess whether or not it makes a difference that's noticeable. It feels like the ass may swing out from time to time but never does, so I don't feel like I completely control the car when it corrects so much of my input on it's own. I think the driver/car relationship is a bit muted with this.

Have you tried taking the VSA off yet? I have to wonder if that would make a difference. I've basically ignored the button because if you read up on what it does, it's a bit overwhelming almost it does so damn much,... but I should unpack my ballsack like a man and give it a try for shits to see if I notice a difference in the twisties.

Lastly, I gotta agree, the stock rubber is poop. I can't wait to have an excuse to replace all 4 (being married requires excuses for such expenses most of the time).
Old 07-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterPort
but on the AWD they recommend 32 all around.
Incorrect the sh-awd cars with hpt are recommended at 37/32. Starting in my12 the hpt are not a factory option even with 19s.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:17 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by exonomix
Lastly, I gotta agree, the stock rubber is poop. I can't wait to have an excuse to replace all 4 (being married requires excuses for such expenses most of the time).
So true, so true!

Take it to a BIG parking lot, turn traction control off, and let it rip.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is HPT?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
What is HPT?
I think that means High Performance Tires
Old 07-31-2012, 11:15 PM
Advanced

Hey LAWS,

I have the same issues as you. I've come from mostly RWD drivers (Lincoln LS V8, Nissan Silvia) and I can't seem to manage to understand or feel the threshold for handling. I can't push the car hard enough to fail it, but it does feel like there's understeer with the front end weight. I do run my tires 30-32 upfront, and 36 in the rear, but can't assess whether or not it makes a difference that's noticeable. It feels like the ass may swing out from time to time but never does, so I don't feel like I completely control the car when it corrects so much of my input on it's own. I think the driver/car relationship is a bit muted with this.

Have you tried taking the VSA off yet? I have to wonder if that would make a difference. I've basically ignored the button because if you read up on what it does, it's a bit overwhelming almost it does so damn much,... but I should unpack my ballsack like a man and give it a try for shits to see if I notice a difference in the twisties.

Thanks you for your input...and I just don't have the guts to turn VSA off. The other day I passed 3 vehicle at a freeway entrance(slow driver cut into entrance at last second) and the TL take out all of them without a second chance for them to get close . By the moment that I enter the freeway , I have reached 70 mph. I was impressed and then .... worry. The vehicle during the turn is actually getting to the limit IMO. The tires were screaming a little bit and I feel like the car is actually swinging outward(with the awd meter sending power to outside wheels). Honestly, I have no skill nor the guts to turn off my traction control to test the limit of such a car that have high power output(and crappy tire). I don't want to kill anyone on the road nor myself so I guess I need an open area to try out the limit.

Seems like we all come to a conclusion that a better set of tire will enhance the performance of the AWD system and I hope it does. I guess I just need to learn to step on the gas during the turn to adapt to the AWD experience.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Racer

Laws & Exonomix & Others,

I love finding out the limit of my cars. Even the ones that handled like crap. When I was growing up I live in a pretty rural area, where I could drive somewhat recklessly on back roads with little fear of messing anything up but my car and myself. There were also a couple big parking lots around that I could set up a coarse and drive on. In DC, I would practice racing my motorcycle (highly modified Hawk GT) in the Pentagon parking lot (since 9/11 that has no longer been an option).

If you don't have and empty parking lot around, think about a track day... costs money, but tons of fun.

I have some nice canyon roads, but not too much in the way of good large parking lots now, but I still manage to get some good turn while being safe and not endangering others on the road.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CerbersKy,

I agree completely. I love learning the limits of the vehicle, but it's more difficult with a smart AWD system! My RWD sleds are easy, either smoke the tires and lose grip or back off the throttle to regain it. Pushing the TL for three weeks now, I just can't realize the feel for it's breaking point. I do this on roads I'm familiar with and off the beaten path of course, or even in parking lots.

Next step, I will deactivate the VSA and see if that opens the vehicle up to driver feel as opposed to electronic limitations - hey, it''s my birthday this weekend, so I'm going balls deep in her
Old 08-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Racer

First thing I do when I get in the car is to turn the traction control off.

CerbersKy,
Next step, I will deactivate the VSA and see if that opens the vehicle up to driver feel as opposed to electronic limitations - hey, it''s my birthday this weekend, so I'm going balls deep in her
I'll have to remind my wife of this when my b-day comes around!