AUTO REVIEW: Acura's Midsize TL Grows Into A Technological Tour De Force

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AUTO REVIEW: Acura's Midsize TL Grows Into A Technological Tour De Force

Larry Printz, The Virginian-Pilot
Published Monday, January 12, 2009

My impression of the new 2009 Acura TL: Wow.
And I don't use that word often or lightly.

Many automobiles are well-designed and well-engineered, but few engage my synapses as completely as the new TL.

It's hard not to be impressed by the latest version of Acura's most popular model, which has grown appreciably since last year.

Now six inches longer and 1.8 inches wider than the 2008 TL, the 2009 rendition is almost as large as the more expensive Acura RL.

But the TL carries its size well. Drinking in the car's kinetic lines, you'll notice interesting details everywhere, from the sculpted hood to the arched greenhouse, the subtle flying buttress by the rear window and the sporting tail lamps. The car crackles with energy. There's also the grille, a sort of Vegematic/bucktooth affair, that's - um - distinctive.

Inside, Acura has eschewed simplicity for a sea of buttons - 12 on the steering wheel alone. They are fairly logical in layout but can be overwhelming at first glance. Acura apparently wants to impress upon drivers that this is a technological marvel.

And, indeed, it is.

There's an eardrum-blowing, 10-speaker, 440-watt sound system with DVD-audio, CD, XM Satellite Radio and 2,500-song hard disk drive. And there's a rearview backup camera and a GPS navigation system, which is overlaid with additional information, like a Zagat's guide, real-time traffic information and a weather radar map.

The marvels continue once you bring one of the TL's two aluminum engines to life. A 3.5-liter V-6 that produces 280 horsepower is standard. Mated to a five-speed automatic transmission with steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters, the front-wheel-drive TL is rated for 18 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway.

Performance fans will want the TL Super Handling All-Wheel Drive model. Its all-new, 3.7-liter, V-6 engine produces 25 more horsepower but loses 1 mpg in EPA ratings both in the city and on the highway. It also uses a five-speed automatic that can be shifted manually. But the TL SH-AWD model features a sophisticated all-wheel-drive system that enhances performance.

Most of the time, the TL runs in front-wheel-drive. But say your driving is getting a bit frisky. The all-wheel-drive system can send up to 70 percent of the power to the rear wheels or can move power from one rear wheel to another. That helps during cornering, when more power is funneled to the outside wheel.

It's the marriage of these elements - the powerful 305- horsepower mill, the responsive transmission, expertly weighted steering and all-wheel-drive system - that delivered a thrill the first time I drove the TL and continued to provide thrills each time I was behind the wheel.

The seats - heated but not air-conditioned - support without being punishing, something few automakers master.

The interior is loaded with nice touches. My favorite is a small tray that slides out from the center console to hold a cell phone or iPod.

While I was spoiled by the car, I was bothered that it wore an Acura badge.

The TL tips the scales at two tons. Trust me, you notice it. And while I got used to all of those buttons, they left me wondering whether Honda had walked away from its heritage in the race to match its competition.

I have always expected Acura, not to mention Honda, products to have a Zen-like interior, be lightweight and provide a superior performance.

For most buyers, such issues shouldn't matter; this is a great sedan. But longtime Hondaphiles will find the new TL fun, but troubling.

What we say: Wow

Pro: Technological powerhouse

Con: Lots of weight, lots of buttons

Stats

Engine: 3.7-liter SOHC V6

Wheelbase: 109.3 inches

Length: 195.3 inches

Weight: 3,986 pounds

Cargo space: 13.1 cubic feet

EPA rating (city/highway): 17/25 mpg

Fuel economy: 18 mpg

Fuel type: Premium unleaded