A5 - 1424

CTS - 4155

Lucerne - 2656

3 - 8339

C - 6100
Old 09-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't forget the ES and Maxima and LaCrosse as well, or even the Avalon if you're going to toss the Lucerne in there.

Anyway, flamewar starts in 5, 4, 3 ...
Old 09-03-2010, 11:19 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Well, the TL sold just as well as the A4?
Old 09-04-2010, 12:45 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
+1

Apparently 4G TL haters are silent (er... silently mum) about this one.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:22 AM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
+1

Apparently 4G TL haters are silent (er... silently mum) about this one.
Don't worry, they will be here. They always are.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I don't think that these are terrible numbers. Given, it's a lot less than the 3G, but it's a more expensive car in a higher category now, so we cannot directly compare it to the sales of the 3G.

I do see more and more of the 4G TL on the road now. In my workplace, apart from mine, there are at least 2 other SH-AWD now and 1 base!

I am still amazed by how many 3 series are leased/sold, and most likely they are leased/sold in their very base form.

As for the G sedan, it is a very nice car, and I think that Infiniti has done a great job with it. I was choosing between the G sedan and the TL SH-AWD and having driven both, I like the refinement, amazing sound system and space of the TL SH-AWD with Tech much more so in the end I went with the TL SH-AWD with Tech.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
I don't think that these are terrible numbers. Given, it's a lot less than the 3G, but it's a more expensive car in a higher category now, so we cannot directly compare it to the sales of the 3G.

I do see more and more of the 4G TL on the road now. In my workplace, apart from mine, there are at least 2 other SH-AWD now and 1 base!

I am still amazed by how many 3 series are leased/sold, and most likely they are leased/sold in their very base form.
No sense in comparing 3G numbers 3 years ago to 4G numbers today, not only is it a totally different car (for better or worse) but it's an entirely different economic world. The numbers look pretty good, in line with the A4, not bad at all...

I'm not surprised in the least by the number of 3's sold, unless they break them down it's too hard to tell between:

328i Sedan
328i xDrive Sedan
328i Coupe
328i Convertable
328i Wagon
328 xDrive Wagon
335i Sedan
335i xDrive Sedan
335i Coupe
335i Convertable
335is Coupe
335is Convertable
335i xDrive Coupe
335d Sedan

Plus they're a dime a dozen over here on the east cost, I see them everywhere. Based on their sales, they are a dime a dozen most places.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where is the TSX numbers?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:19 AM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by superck
where is the tsx numbers?
tsx - 2419
Old 09-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
The sales numbers are respectable. I definitely see more on the road and even at my work. Toning down the grille similarly to the TSX will definitely increase sales by 10-15% in my opinion. I'll be in the market for a new car in 2-3 years. If it looks similar to the TSX, I'd buy it. The TL so far is the best entry level luxury car on the market. I like it better than another Japanese alternatives (IS or G). I am not willing to pay the German premium for lesser car and reliability. I've had my 3G for 5 trouble free years so I am spoiled.

The G is nice but too generic looking for me. I don't think it will age well. The last generation G just plain looks dowdy.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
There are other external reasons for that than just demand and price... Audi posted their best August ever (click), but the A4 line lost a convertible and the larger trim-line, while the A5 line gained a convertible, and Audi is essentially running at full capacity already. Their inventory of A4/S4 models is extremely low; they simply didn't build enough of them to sell more. BMW 3-Series is in a similar position; sales went up more than expected and BMW even added another plant-shift (which is unusual in Germany due to the inability to downside it easily later.)

The TL is heavily incentivized too, while the others aren't, which lowers the effective price.

But if they would just fix the noses of their current line-up, I suspect sales would rise quickly. The challenges I had with the TL probably wouldn't bother most people.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB00

The G is nice but too generic looking for me. I don't think it will age well. The last generation G just plain looks dowdy.
You are so right! LOL! I saw a few last generation G's recently and they really had not aged well at all....! At the time they did look nice... :-)
Old 09-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich

As for the G sedan, it is a very nice car, and I think that Infiniti has done a great job with it. I was choosing between the G sedan and the TL SH-AWD and having driven both, I like the refinement, amazing sound system and space of the TL SH-AWD with Tech much more so in the end I went with the TL SH-AWD with Tech.
I agree and no matter what changes they make to the TL it won't make a radical difference to the sales numbers but a least it shouldn't hurt. The numbers are much more of a reflection of a larger car in a more expensive and competitive market than anything else IMO.

Further advancing the TL to Acura mid level stature, and further resembling the RL on a lot of levels, will only prove to keep the numbers in line with what they already are. I believe that is why it has been the most consistent Acura model. Afterall, that's what Acura wants since the TSX is doing a decent job of stepping up and filling much of the entry car role, the current TL is doing better than this generation RL ever did and the models are successfully transitioning to their new markets.

As suggested, most other entry priced vehicles are dealer lot cars with almost no extras added, so that makes cars like the C class and 3 series, etc actually cheaper than the TL and a big reason for their success. One of the pluses and minuses to the Acura all inclusive build and business theme is that although it is a great value it does raise the base price points and a lot of general consumers, probably 75% of the market, are focused on that alone since they don't really care if it's a well equipped vehicle or how one compares to the other in that regard.

The G is the next best value to the TL in that range IMO. It's the best value if you are looking for RWD and a smaller, sportier feeling theme. They really took off since the heavy incentives of the 09 clearance and the MMC carried that over. It's much more of a direct competitor to most of the cars in the entry range.

The CTS has been doing great since the introduction of 0% for 72 months. If they had that when I was car shopping and put a manual in the AWD, things would have been interesting.

There are other external reasons for that than just demand and price... Audi posted their best August ever (click), but the A4 line lost a convertible and the larger trim-line, while the A5 line gained a convertible, and Audi is essentially running at full capacity already. Their inventory of A4/S4 models is extremely low; they simply didn't build enough of them to sell more. BMW 3-Series is in a similar position; sales went up more than expected and BMW even added another plant-shift (which is unusual in Germany due to the inability to downside it easily later.)

The TL is heavily incentivized too, while the others aren't, which lowers the effective price.

But if they would just fix the noses of their current line-up, I suspect sales would rise quickly. The challenges I had with the TL probably wouldn't bother most people.
I do agree, Audi's A4 inventory is very low but they are just as incentivized as the TL just with different programs, the 3 and C are simply not.

It's not a knock on Audi, it just goes to show that although it's generally perceived as one of the best looking cars of the segment and range it does no better than the generally perceived worst looking car.

I think the message is that styling has less to do with things of this nature than most seem to think and despite most opinions, be it internet forums, personal or those of friends and family, etc, they do not necessarily have that much bearing on the actual consumer based market.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 09-04-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I am still amazed at the G, in its 5th year and selling better than ever, seems they are at the same place Acura was in 2007/8 with the TL. Infiniti now has the same issue to deal with, how to you replace a car going out with such huge numbers without risking hurting its sales. I suspect the 2012 G is still going to be targeted squarely at the BMW 3 rather than a TL so I don't expect it to grow significantly, and the styling elements that the 2011 M introduced as well as even the new QX tell me the next G probably won't be too radical of a departure from the current G, but it will be insteresting to see as the Essence concept is much more bold than the current G or M and they keep saying the Essence is the future direction. As for the TL the new MMC changes will make it more aceptable tot he main stream buyer so it should increase sales, I am curious to see it and the Type-S as in 18 months I'll be ready to swap cars again and woudl love to come back to Acura.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I might live in a fairy tale world but I like the sale numbers I see. The TSX/TL sales are good enough as a whole to ensure that Honda/Acura want to improve them but not enough so they sit on their laurels, so to speak. It is the same thing with the G, the A4 and all the models. It makes for a much more diversified field than when the 3 series sold/leased 9k units per months while Acura sold/leased 6k units per month. Now you have: TL, G, CTS, A4/S4, 3 series, C, ES/IS and more. All the guys must work hard to bring competitive products. We end up being the winners here!

As you can see, I don't really care for the TL/TSX sales numbers but overall, I feel once we hit the 6-7k units (combined) per month, that will be pretty much the maximum number.

Now, let's work on the MMC of the TSX and TL to make them more attractive and even more competitive and all should be alright. The way I see it, the 4G is a transition model that is used to test a number of key technologies for future models: 6MT/6AT (soon)+SH-AWD, how to calibrate the steering feel, Improvement on the brakes, interior ergonomics, HDD nav, ELS sound system and so forth...We might even have a new engine in the 5G TL!

I'm optimistic for the next gen 5G TL and 3G TSX and also for the 3G G sedan and coupe. 2012-2014 will be great years to try new cars!

We should all rejoice!

Now let's get back to our regular program of design bashing and name calling...
Old 09-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't really care how many G, CTS, A4/S4, 3 series, C, ES/IS had been sold compare to TL. All I care is there are 2882 more TLs joined me on the freeway, that too many. I just love that I am the only 4G TL owner in town.

Last edited by mdx_tl; 09-04-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Instructor

How many times can we have this discussion? Holy S**t.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:53 PM
KES
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BigWopHH
How many times can we have this discussion? Holy S**t.

Once a month for a week.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KES
Once a month for a week.
HAHAHAHA! That's f'n funny...
Old 09-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KES
Once a month for a week.
Best line of the year!!!

Bravo.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:48 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
I think the 5g TL will push this car upmarket once and for all to make it a true competitor to the 5er, E, A6, M since it already is size wise.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
You have all over-looked the 75% increase in RDX sales. Personally, I don’t care for the 2G’s looks. But, apparently Acura has filled a hole in the market with the RDX as they can’t keep ‘um on the lot. The sales leader just might turn out to be a truck.

EDIT: My Ins Agent calls it a Sport Wagon.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 09-05-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:25 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
You have all over-looked the 75% increase in RDX sales. Personally, I don’t care for the 2G’s looks. But, apparently Acura has filled a hole in the market with the RDX as they can’t keep ‘um on the lot. The sales leader just might turn out to be a truck.
I've noticed the dramatic RDX sales increase the past few months. Kudos to Acura Pretty amazing, though IMHO the new RDX's grill is even more polarizing than the 4G TL's. So what do the grill naysayers have to say about the RDX's sales increase and the so-called "slow" TL sales.

Smart move by Acura to offer the RDX in a 2WD model. It would be interesting to see the sales breakdown of the RDX (2WD vs AWD).
Old 09-05-2010, 07:20 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Offering a 2WD model and thus decreasing the price impacted the sales positively. The grille on the TL is still more polarizing then on the RDX.

Acura's sales projections for the 4G was 70k units per year I don't know if that has been revised or not, but its sales are "slow" compared to the previous generation. You can say economy, the car is moving upmarket, etc etc. There's no way around the fact it isn't selling in the volumes Acura anticipated.

Once the MMC hits (revised grille and 6AT) I predict sales will rise as well.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
I've noticed the dramatic RDX sales increase the past few months. Kudos to Acura Pretty amazing, though IMHO the new RDX's grill is even more polarizing than the 4G TL's. So what do the grill naysayers have to say about the RDX's sales increase and the so-called "slow" TL sales.
yeah it definitely doesn't blend well with the rdx's styling compared to the tl
Old 09-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
GF just leased a RDX. 2010 and I don't find the grill as polarizing on it as the TL, but then I have never beena SUV person either, I will say the RDX is a nicely put togther CRV, seems built solid a nice step up from her CRV, although I am no fan of the turbo.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I too am seeing more 4G TL's on the road, and the more I see and drive mine I am glad I got it. My co-worker has a 335i, and to me My TL is much nicer.