Audi Style LED strip on 4G TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:11 PM
I am a bullet proof tiger

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Audi Style LED strip on 4G TL

So I ordered a pair of LED strips and decided to install today. I think Audi has hit a homerun with their intergration of LED's and I wanted to create something similiar with my 4G. I was very skeptical in how this might turn out, but I am satisfied with the end result.

Here is the look I was going for.

These are the lights I used from oznium.com (thin LED Strips). The lights are a little too close together, so I did what another user on az did (bforbrian) and used electric tape to cover every other LED.

Here is the end result, I am debating on ordering another LED strip and extending each strip about 4 inches towards each fog light. This would take them from 12in to 16in.

The strips came with 3M tape, but I used small black ties to keep them in place until I decide on the exact location I want them.

I hooked the wiring up through the firewall, there is an empty grommet to the upper right of the main wiring harness in the middle of the firewall. I bought a Honda Accord Fog Light switch and wiring harness with the intentions of using this for angel eyes, since that project didnt work out I decided to use it for my LED strip. Here is a pic of the switch, I am going to remove the grey paint and paint it matte black to match the VSA switch.

Let me know what you think.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:16 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm thinking I'd like them positioned a little more toward the edges of the car and I think you'd get a more cohesive look if the fog lights were whiter.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:22 PM

I dont really ever plan on running the fog lights with the LED strip at the same time, its too busy imo. I needed a place to drop the wires in, and where they are positioned now is really the only spot unless I was to make a cut. What I think I am going to do is order 1 more strip, cut it and extend each strip 4 inches toward the fogs
Old 05-02-2009, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by buckvegas
I dont really ever plan on running the fog lights with the LED strip at the same time, its too busy imo. I needed a place to drop the wires in, and where they are positioned now is really the only spot unless I was to make a cut. What I think I am going to do is order 1 more strip, cut it and extend each strip 4 inches toward the fogs
That'd be perfect Buck. As long as the fogs aren't on, they won't clash with the LED's. And extending the LED's a bit toward the edges of the car will look awesome. Great job on the project BTW!
Old 05-03-2009, 05:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Kinda cool lookin' symmetrically! Extending the strip might be even sweeter. I agree, there's too many light colors, I'd like it to have matching lamps, LED's, whatever... The first thought that came to mind in that pic was Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Excellent work.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:49 AM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
I think they look like they're way too low. Perhaps so they're at the top of the foglights rather than at the bottom?
Old 05-03-2009, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the thoughts guys, as this is still a work in progress. I am going to raise the light today to see if it will flow better with the car, and perhaps eliminate having to add extra LED's as the strip will run all the way to the front sidemarker. If it doesnt look right, then I am going to just extend each led out as mentioned above.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it will look better if u can stick them LED's in the OEM white reflector.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fusiongt
I think it will look better if u can stick them LED's in the OEM white reflector.
I agree. Right now, even though it looks cool, it also kinda looks too copy-cat-ish.....maybe just a strip of solid light instead of individual led's might be better?

BTW, guys, doesn't the upcoming ZDX have LED running lights? (or is that just on the concept?)
Old 05-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Soon I will have

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the creativity of the idea and think that it makes the car look pretty custom. There is a lot of discussion on the styling of the 4g TL, but I have to say yours is looking pretty darn good! Bringing the strips closer the fog light will really set it off.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:08 PM

I raised the led strip to right below the front sidemarker piece. Its about 3 or 4 inches higher than before. If I leave it here I am going to have to use the 3M tape to make it stick, the black ties I am using wont hold it up there long.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Buck...Im sure I missed it previously but what lights did you put in for the blinkers up front ?
The following users liked this post:
3MEN2_4g (03-04-2014)
Old 05-03-2009, 02:35 PM

They are 1157 switchbacks from V-Leds.com

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/T...51397-1-2.html

they run white, but when you signal they blink amber. You have to install a load resistor into the line to avoid hyper-blinking.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it looks awesome. Great idea. Will probably look better when extended. I also think, if possible, centering them with the fog lights will look awesome. Again, great work and great idea =)
Old 05-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Racer

Have you tried to pop open the bumper lights? Is there space to get a strip in
there?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by cornelius
Have you tried to pop open the bumper lights? Is there space to get a strip in
there?

no, but that is a very good idea, I might have to take the bumper off for that, so I may attempt that when I get a ronjon grille.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks awesome good job
Old 05-03-2009, 09:45 PM

Cornelius-

Great thought, I ran out real quick while I still had some daylight and laid under the bumper to get a look at the front side marker. I think it would awesome and also very professional to run the LED strip inside of the front sidemarker. Well its not possible from what I can see. I was able to unbolt it to remove it from the bumper, however it is sealed just like a headlight is. I am not going to unseal it for such a small project, but I think it would look awesome inside of the front sidemarker.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Instructor

how come SH dont comes with that white front reflectors?? I wanna try this LED strips myself also.. but ONLY if I can stick them inside the white reflectors... matching all colors r another issue.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by buckvegas
Cornelius-

Great thought, I ran out real quick while I still had some daylight and laid under the bumper to get a look at the front side marker. I think it would awesome and also very professional to run the LED strip inside of the front sidemarker. Well its not possible from what I can see. I was able to unbolt it to remove it from the bumper, however it is sealed just like a headlight is. I am not going to unseal it for such a small project, but I think it would look awesome inside of the front sidemarker.
Im thinking of doing this mod once I get the RJ grille as well. First of all,
I gotta fix my oven to bake my headlights and side markers. Actually,
is the strip itself visible when the LEDs are off? Im wondering if it would be
better to punch holes into the back of the side markers.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by cornelius
Im thinking of doing this mod once I get the RJ grille as well. First of all,
I gotta fix my oven to bake my headlights and side markers. Actually,
is the strip itself visible when the LEDs are off? Im wondering if it would be
better to punch holes into the back of the side markers.
Strip is visable when not light, but its not an eye sore by any means, its black so attached to the bottom bumper area you cant really see it. As far as the sidemarker is concerned, after looking at it I dont think you can punch holes in the back of it. Its in a casing of sorts, the whole unit is probably over 2 1/2 inches in girth.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:33 PM
No Limitz!

Question looks great

Like the idea...looks great... what you think of this on an 05 TL?
Old 05-04-2009, 11:38 PM
ShellZV6

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks very nice i love it deff gives it a distinct look the 4g is so sexy good job keep it up gorgeous car..
Old 05-06-2009, 07:07 PM

I ordered another led strip so I can extend each strip to the fog light area. It arrived today and I will post pics of the updated strip later tonight once it gets dark out.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:03 PM

Dammit, i need one more strip to get the entire thing to light up, it will be a few more days.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:02 PM

I figured it out, had to switch around a few of the 4prong connectors. Here is the final result, I am much more satisfied with the lights extended out 6 inches, making each strip about 18 inches long. I also went ahead and used 3M tape to secure the strips.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

A great mod, but still too "Close Encounters" for me. The matching of the hue doesn't work for me. Way to be a leader buck!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by bmode
A great mod, but still too "Close Encounters" for me. The matching of the hue doesn't work for me. Way to be a leader buck!
Its hard to gauge color matching by my shit camera work. lol. I dont think I have ever adjusted the setting on my camera, I just point and click. PLus the headlights have a yellow hue to them in the picture yet in real life look more white, the white LED switchback in the front sidemarker and the led strip are the same white LED, so in person they match.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

Looks great!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:08 AM
My beer fridge is in

looks good. I'd be interested in seeing some better pics if possible. But i do like the look.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good job, Buck! Personally, though, I would've placed a solid strip of light instead of individual LED's.....makes it look like you're trying too hard to copy Audi. From the photo, it also looks too much like there are X-mas lights in there.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:16 PM

Buck I think you've nailed it. Truly a bad-ass and very attractive look. The TL already looks so menacing it almost should be subject to arrest on sight. With your great mod, I think you've put in on the FBI top 10 Most Wanted list (lol).

Great job!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Advanced

hmmm think i liked it up high nearer to the blinkers

either way it's gonna look sick
Old 05-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Looks like 1SICKLEX is back from his forced leave of absence from Clublexus.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-...hts-check.html

Typical, immaturity, insecurity,..... fill in the blank....., etc....

What is it with his hatred for Acura that keeps bringing him back here? I can't even count how many times he has been banned from this website.

Let the Acura bashing continue!
Old 05-08-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
Looks like 1SICKLEX is back from his forced leave of absence from Clublexus.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-...hts-check.html

Typical, immaturity, insecurity,..... fill in the blank....., etc....

What is it with his hatred for Acura that keeps bringing him back here? I can't even count how many times he has been banned from this website.

Let the Acura bashing continue!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I guess I have never been one to bash others work. This person obviously has nothing better to do then bash and get blocked on forums, which is obviously an attempt to compensate for other short comings in life. Not a suprise he used the worst pic I posted. Nice life. Have fun swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Pro

I think you did a really nice job. Normally, I'm not into mods, but the LEDs add a lot to the look of the front. Don't let the haters on the Lexus board get you down - they're all too bored driving their Lexuses that they need to troll the Acura boards.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Connoisseur of Aesthetics

Luckily I have a ClubLexus username because unlike some people, I respect the competition.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Connoisseur of Aesthetics

Oh, and I'm totally gonna do this mod..cause its hot. Fuck 1SICKLEX
Old 05-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
OMG I honestly CANNOT believe how insecure the guy is! He deleted the thread so nobody would see what people actually say about him!

This guy becomes more and more of a communist everyday.

What a monkey!

BuckVegas, don't worry about what he says or thinks. He is KNOWN on the forums and aside for a handful of people, NOBODY respects him. He has said maybe two nice things about Acura his entire life and he clings to that like it's the last piece of dignity he has. Value his opinion no more than you would a monkeys.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
OMG I honestly CANNOT believe how insecure the guy is! He deleted the thread so nobody would see what people actually say about him!

This guy becomes more and more of a communist everyday.

What a monkey!

BuckVegas, don't worry about what he says or thinks. He is KNOWN on the forums and aside for a handful of people, NOBODY respects him. He has said maybe two nice things about Acura his entire life and he clings to that like it's the last piece of dignity he has. Value his opinion no more than you would a monkeys.
Man do you have that right. I posted to that thread and no sooner than I posted, pffffttt, it was gone. So I guess the rules over at ClubLexus are that they can fling shit with abandon, but when it's flung back at them, up in smoke it goes. What a buch of pansy ass creeps.

Quick Reply: Audi Style LED strip on 4G TL