Anyone have an older persons opinion on the 4G TL Styling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 05:22 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And considering that Acura sales have been declining for years, even before the current economic downturn, it's obvious how well this strategy has worked. If they were really "Advancing", they would come up with their own way of doing things.

And they could put any label they want on that huge rump, any emblem they can think of on the huge cow catcher, it would still be ugly.

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS

This is exactly what Acura wants to achieve. This is exactly the reason why Acura decided to drop model names like Legend, Integra, Vigor, etc., and instead started off using alpha-numeric designation for all it's model lines, in the same way as for MB, BMW, and other recognized luxury auto brands. Why the numeric part was latter dropped, I don't know.

Acura wants people to associate the RL, TL, TSX, ....., as an Acura, not an individual entity. Honda has no such problem with brand identity, so all it's model names (Accord, Civic, Odyssey, .....) will continue to stay for years to come.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by ownaccord
And considering that Acura sales have been declining for years, even before the current economic downturn, it's obvious how well this strategy has worked. If they were really "Advancing", they would come up with their own way of doing things.

And they could put any label they want on that huge rump, any emblem they can think of on the huge cow catcher, it would still be ugly.
Indeed.

Trying to be Mercedes with the alpha numeric naming was a mistake in my opinion. Trying to be like Mercedes only brought into focus how much Acura is NOT Mercedes.

Strange thing is when asked by associates American, or global, they never know what an Acura RL is. But they ALL know what a LEGEND is.

Losing distinctive names was a mistake. Perhaps so much so that in desperation to regain recognition, Acura now has to resort to desperate styling.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:09 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The issue I have with Acura's strategy for Brand recognition using the plenum grill is that its going to result now in Brand Rejection due to an association buyers are going to have with the image of the grill.

I think Acura was successful since 2004's new lineup because they battled Brand non-recognition by differentiation from competitors by creating value to the product.

When I ask some friends who own other luxury brands (Lexus, etc) whats the first thing they think of when I say "Acura" is = "Best Bang for the buck". Its true, they provide great well balanced sports luxury sedans but with more value.
I mean have you tried pricing a new Lexus IS250 with all the added features? Yikes. $$$$

They knew Acura is different from its competitors due to the great value they provide and the clean styling.

I'd thought I give my 2 cents because others were saying that Acura was losing their brand identity but I feel that they did create a subtle brand recognition in which my opinion is more intelligent way to approach rather than a radical styling change.

Creating a successful brand recognition is not easy but Acura in the past has done it through differentiation of Value, not just looks.

Bottom line is that: Acura's new Brand strategy focuses too much on the look of the new grill and it fails because it doesn't provide added value or other emotional incentive that's associated with the new look when you add the new pricing of the tech package into play.

Comments welcomed!

Last edited by xenonhid; 11-23-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:25 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Red face

Oh BTW, previous comments saying that threads like this are pointless. I would have to disagree.

These threads are great because getting opinions from previous TL (and Acura owners) really allow you to see the reactions of the new 09 TL and test how it stands up to Brand Loyalty.

We have owners of 04-08 TL, RL, TSX etc who love their Acura and to see their Brand Loyalty diminish after seeing the 09 Lineup says a LOT about the direction Acura has taken = Sadly in the wrong direction IMO.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:16 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I come from a family of Honda/Acura and Lexus enthusiasts and can honestly tell you that the reception of the new TL has been very positive. We have people with accords, TL's, CL's, Civics, Lex GS/ES/IS. Although pictures do not do the car any justice, seeing it in person there is a wow factor for us. I'm 26 and have a good number relatives that are around my same age that love the new design. Those older then us are in their 40's and 50's have been in the automotive industry for 20 years feel the same way. Although there are a few that dislike it but haven't seen it in person.