Air bag problem????

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 09:14 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air bag problem????

When I talked to Acura's customer relations and they tell me the parts have been shipped to the dealer and when I called the dealer to ask when can I get my air bag fixed, they say the parts haven't been shipped yet... WHO THE HELL DO YOU BELIVE ???? Now what . this has been going on for 3 months now ... dealer says "I wish we could fix your car, Acura tells everyone that"
Old 09-09-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
this is not new.
the car industry ALWAYS gives run-arounds. just nature of the biz.(think of global suppliers and if one supplier isnt on the same page, everything gets set back)
keep checkin in and keep a level head.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:09 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Yeah it really stinks, not sure if you've seen this thread. https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...recall-941751/

A lot of us waited several months to get the inflator replaced, I waited close to 4 months.

Last edited by JT4; 09-12-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Id say you are dealing with an in competent dealer. Id try to move up the management team level to get better info.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I waited almost 6 months for my air bag recall part, I actually moved before it arrived. I called the Acura I originally went to and they told me they should be able to ship the part to my local Acura for installation. They call me a month later to tell me they have the part in stock and it's ready for installation, I reminded them I moved and they tell me they can't ship the part to my local Acura. Called Acura relations and they weren't able to help. I have to get back on the waiting list at my local Acura.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by randyt15
When I talked to Acura's customer relations and they tell me the parts have been shipped to the dealer and when I called the dealer to ask when can I get my air bag fixed, they say the parts haven't been shipped yet... WHO THE HELL DO YOU BELIVE ???? Now what . this has been going on for 3 months now ... dealer says "I wish we could fix your car, Acura tells everyone that"
Did you call you local dealer and get put onto the list? If you aren't on the list yet you'll be at the bottom. The list is of folks waiting for an airbag. I've been waiting since june (when I called and spoke to acura) and they put me into a rental. I'll be taking my car in this week for the new airbag as they arrived today.

You do realize that thousands of cars need these airbags and it isn't a simple walk-in issue that can be taken care of at the moment.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:05 AM
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts
I bought my 2009 TL a few weeks ago, called my local dealer to get it fixed and they say they can't order the part because it's already been ordered for my VIN and is sitting at another Acura dealership. They said they won't ship it to my local Acura dealership because they are not allowed to for whatever reason. Local dealer says i should call the recall hotline to get it sorted out. I've called them 2x and they say its going to be escalated and I should hear back within a few days... Still nothing... Not sure what to do. Maybe I'll just drive to the local dealership, drop off the keys and demand a rental. Maybe that'll get it done?
Old 09-13-2016, 06:47 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by atomlinks
I bought my 2009 TL a few weeks ago, called my local dealer to get it fixed and they say they can't order the part because it's already been ordered for my VIN and is sitting at another Acura dealership. They said they won't ship it to my local Acura dealership because they are not allowed to for whatever reason. Local dealer says i should call the recall hotline to get it sorted out. I've called them 2x and they say its going to be escalated and I should hear back within a few days... Still nothing... Not sure what to do. Maybe I'll just drive to the local dealership, drop off the keys and demand a rental. Maybe that'll get it done?
How far away from you is the dealer that the part is at? If it's a reasonable distance Acura may tell you to bring the car to them.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JT4
How far away from you is the dealer that the part is at? If it's a reasonable distance Acura may tell you to bring the car to them.
It's about an hour or so drive. So we are talking an hour there, prob. a couple hours of waiting for repair, and and hour back. Local dealer is 1/2 mile from our house, would rather drop it off and not waste half a day dealing with it.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

It's about an hour or so drive. So we are talking an hour there, prob. a couple hours of waiting for repair, and and hour back. Local dealer is 1/2 mile from our house, would rather drop it off and not waste half a day dealing with it.
Call the dealers up and as that the service managers speak to each other. Acura has a responsibility to repair your vehicle and right now they are giving you the run around.

You can request a tow and acura will have to pay to tow your car to the dealership an hour away vs one 1/2 a mile away.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
Call the dealers up and as that the service managers speak to each other. Acura has a responsibility to repair your vehicle and right now they are giving you the run around.

You can request a tow and acura will have to pay to tow your car to the dealership an hour away vs one 1/2 a mile away.
Thx for the suggestion, I called the local Acura dealer today and requested that the service managers work it out. I talked to the same guy that I spoke with a couple of weeks ago and he said he was going to get it taken care of and ordered. He mentioned the last time something like this happened it took 3 months to get resolved. I also asked him that if I wanted a rental car, would it get done any faster? He said that they are no longer offering any rental cars...
Old 09-13-2016, 05:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Thx for the suggestion, I called the local Acura dealer today and requested that the service managers work it out. I talked to the same guy that I spoke with a couple of weeks ago and he said he was going to get it taken care of and ordered. He mentioned the last time something like this happened it took 3 months to get resolved. I also asked him that if I wanted a rental car, would it get done any faster? He said that they are no longer offering any rental cars...
If you are driving a car with a defective airbag it is acura's responsibility to provide you with a car that does not injure you. The dealer/Honda/Acura is currently responsible for any injuries that occur unless you signed away that ability which I doubt, you should advise the service manager about this and also call up acura client relations.
The following users liked this post:
atomlinks (09-28-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 07:49 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

csmeance posted what I was thinking too. Call your local Acura dealer and speak to the Service Manager, tell him that you wanted to speak to him before calling Acura client relations, and ask if he can reach out to the Service Manager at the Acura dealer that has your part.

If that doesn't work out call client relations and see what they will do, you will probably have to keep calling them back since they have a rep for not returning calls. Worst case have Acura tow it to the dealer an hour away. However, if you have this done I am pretty sure you will have to go there to pick it up when it's ready anyway. Not 100% sure about this, but ask just in case.

BTW, when I had the inflator replaced it took about 1 -1/2 hours, but I also had them change the brake fluid at the time. My SA had told me the inflator takes approx 30-40 mins to replace.
atomlinks (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 01:45 AM
Racer

Finally talked with the Service Manager at the local dealer and have an appt for friday to get it fixed. Thx much for the suggestions!
csmeance (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 09:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
The actual inflator replacement takes under 30 minutes - I sat and watched the tech do it the whole time.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:47 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Finally talked with the Service Manager at the local dealer and have an appt for friday to get it fixed. Thx much for the suggestions!
Good to hear, glad it worked out for you..
Old 10-03-2016, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is it just the one in the steering wheel that gets replaced ?

Anyway I've been waiting all summer for the next letter announcing the parts are in stock.
Never came.

Called the dealer last week and they said, "we've had the parts for a long time, would you like an appointment ?"

I'm going in tomorrow for the fix.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by steve807
Is it just the one in the steering wheel that gets replaced ?

Anyway I've been waiting all summer for the next letter announcing the parts are in stock.
Never came.

Called the dealer last week and they said, "we've had the parts for a long time, would you like an appointment ?"

I'm going in tomorrow for the fix.
As of now yes, only the drivers airbag. My Accord is getting it's passenger side airbag replaced whenever the parts arrive, but nothing as far as the drivers airbag.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Air bag recall done ok on my 2013 TL this morning. Paperwork shows 4 qts trans fluid and a software update. I suppose that's good news?
Old 10-04-2016, 10:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by steve807
Air bag recall done ok on my 2013 TL this morning. Paperwork shows 4 qts trans fluid and a software update. I suppose that's good news?
That's pretty good of your dealership taking care of that without you mentioning it!

Acura's transmission software is putting stress on the fluid and making it break down faster than expected. This causes shuddering and jerking and may cause transmission damage over time. The temp fix is to replace the trans fluid (3.3 quarts) and within a few weeks Acura should have a software update. This affects almost every acura made with the V6 and 5spd or 6spd transmission since 2007.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Paperwork indicates they did indeed do the software update - I'll need to do some hill driving and see if I notice any difference in the shifting.. Had no noticeable shift issues before the update.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
They order the airbag from you VIN number. It takes 4-6 weeks to receive as per my dealer. I waited myself for the parts to find out they were never ordered in the first place. I'm definitely disappointed with Acura's handling of something that causes serious harm or death to their customers.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:32 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE: took my 2012 TL for the tranny clutch lock up recall and asked when the air bag was coming in ? DEALER: don't know we'll give you call when it comes in .... called ACURA they said we sent it to the dealer already .again who do you belive? So picked up my TL the next day and my new air bag was installed "AMAZING" these DEALERSHIPS... Then when you give them a bad review they get all pissy with you..." they probably had it the whole time"