Advice: Defective Car Swap Possibility

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:20 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,366 Posts
Did you buy outright and is this a 1-1 trade? If you were making payments how are they going to be applied? Are you starting at 100% of the payments due?
Old 01-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by e30cabrio
Did you buy outright and is this a 1-1 trade? If you were making payments how are they going to be applied? Are you starting at 100% of the payments due?
I can't say for certain until the actual paper-work arrives (what was said on the phone may not be what appears in print). But I stated specificially that I was not willing to lay out any additional money, and that since I had made three payments on the car while it was not even in my possesion, I would expect Acura to cover any minor discrepencies in price / cost. At that point I was told it was Acura's intention to get me in a new car and to make sure my experience was a good one.

According to Doug (the rep from Acura HQ), any money I've paid on the defective car would be credited and my existing loan would be transferred to the new car, with identical terms, etc. It's my understanding that Acura will cut a check to the dealership for "payment' on the new car and Acura HQ would eventually take possession of the defective car.

At this point I have no indication that there is going to be any out of pocket costs to me. I'm hopeful that's the case when the paper-work arrives, but I think Acura is going to do the right thing.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigWopHH
I can't say for certain until the actual paper-work arrives (what was said on the phone may not be what appears in print). But I stated specificially that I was not willing to lay out any additional money, and that since I had made three payments on the car while it was not even in my possesion, I would expect Acura to cover any minor discrepencies in price / cost. At that point I was told it was Acura's intention to get me in a new car and to make sure my experience was a good one.

According to Doug (the rep from Acura HQ), any money I've paid on the defective car would be credited and my existing loan would be transferred to the new car, with identical terms, etc. It's my understanding that Acura will cut a check to the dealership for "payment' on the new car and Acura HQ would eventually take possession of the defective car.

At this point I have no indication that there is going to be any out of pocket costs to me. I'm hopeful that's the case when the paper-work arrives, but I think Acura is going to do the right thing.
I'll suggest you opt for a replacement vehicle. A cash buyback is usually the worst scenario because manufacturers are allowed by law to deduct for usage. However, I opted for this option when my car was repurchased as I was able to negotiate ( an uphill battle) my buyback at the full purchase price despite how many miles I put on the vehicle.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Since there are less than 12K miles on the car, Acura is not allowed to deduct for usage in New York state according to the Lemon Law. And since they've admitted they can't fix the car, I don't think they'd low-ball me on a buy-back offer, since all I'd have to do is decline, proceed with lemon law arbitration and I'd get all my money back.

I think Acura knows this car is getting written off one way or another, and instead of angering a repeat customer unecessarily, they're just going to do the right thing and make the process easy. At least that's what I hope. Doesn't make sense for them to break my stones any longer at this point.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Big...that's all good news. I thought you were considering another brand. That's why I suggested getting a check for the buyout. But, if Acura agrees to do a swap "even-Steven" with no out of pocket, and credit all of your payments to another loan, that's the way to do it.

Keep us posted, and best of luck the rest of the way.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:29 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Great, I hope they do that, they certainly should.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Instructor

OK, time for another update. I have a fax in-hand that came from Honda / Acura confirming that they will replace my '09 TL with a comparable '10. Details to come...there's lots of legal speak in the fax and I want to make sure I understand it all clearly before singing and faxing back.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:15 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear its working out for you thus far.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, time for another update. I have a fax in-hand that came from Honda / Acura confirming that they will replace my '09 TL with a comparable '10. Details to come...there's lots of legal speak in the fax and I want to make sure I understand it all clearly before singing and faxing back.
Great to hear things are working out! It's a good idea to read through the offer thoroughly. Their legal department usually spends quite a bit of time putting together and reviewing a buyback offer (at least that was the case with my car). So I would suggest you spend some quality time reviewing it as well.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Instructor

Time for yet another update. Got a call earlier from Acura HQ again. Apparently, the dealership has the replacement car on the way. At this point, I'm told Acura HQ will work with the dealership and Honda Finance to transfer my current loan over, then the dealership will get my options installed, and then I can go surrender the old car and pick up the new one.

Will keep you all posted.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Instructor

OK, final update...

I picked up the new car today! Same color and specs, just a 2010 model, and I sprung for the midnight chrome grille and rear trim. Looks awesome.

Had to meet the independant arbitrator at the dealership, where he proceeded to inspect my old car top to bottom. Once it was deemed that there was no damage to the car, I signed a bunch of papers and they handed me the keys to the new car--very smooth, and everyone was really cool about it.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:18 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Thanks! Hope the new one treats me right!
Old 02-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, final update...

I picked up the new car today! Same color and specs, just a 2010 model, and I sprung for the midnight chrome grille and rear trim. Looks awesome.

Had to meet the independant arbitrator at the dealership, where he proceeded to inspect my old car top to bottom. Once it was deemed that there was no damage to the car, I signed a bunch of papers and they handed me the keys to the new car--very smooth, and everyone was really cool about it.
when you get a chance can you post some pics with the midnight chrome grille and trim?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Sure, not problem at all. It's raning cats and dogs here now...will post pics tomorrow or Saturday weather permitting. The current pics on the site really don't do it justice on WDP.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
My dealer had a WDP with chrome grill on the floor last time I was there. You're right - it looks great and much better than the pictures that have been posted.