AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/)
-   -   Acura's Response to Excessive Oil Consumption (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/acuras-response-excessive-oil-consumption-939258/)

justnspace 07-12-2021 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mista (Post 16736796)
So I took my 2013 SH-AWD to Acura this morning for the consumption follow up after doing the 1,000 miles. They tell me it's 1.5 quarts low, they top it off and tell me that that I need to drive it for another 1,000 and come back. Is that normal I thought it was 1 time not multiple?

if you think about it, it's not very science experiment-y....
like, you have to have repeated results to come to a conclusion.

acuratech481 08-01-2021 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Elizhusband (Post 16707420)
I am not sure as a new member if this will be posted but I am an owner of a 2012 SH AWD TL & I too have experienced the excessive oil consumption & am now battling Acura due to the fact the replacement of the pistons & rings did not result in a fix to the excessive oil consumption. My engine was "repaired at 117k miles which they said was part of an extended warranty program, however I soon experienced excessive oil consumption again. The "new" engine has less than 25k miles on it However this all took place during Covid so according to Acura the warranty on the piston/ring replacement has expired. This resulted in a 2nd oil consumption test & finally a case # being started and a discussion with Honda(Acura). hey graciously offered to cover 10% of a 2nd piston/ring job!! So I get ot pay $500 plus tax??? Are they crazy??
My last conversation has not resulted in any movement. I was told at some point the customer needs to take responsibility for the repairs. I asked "what if the work done by Acura did not resolve the problem"?
crickets!!!
I will be interested to hear if anyone has had success in moving Acura to admit fault to this engine design. My mechanic is adamant that they designed a faulty engine!!
All that aside I love the car, this is my 2nd TL (Had black 2005 6 speed) that I put 225k miles on, wish I still had it!!

You got screwed IMO. The approved repair if the initial piston and ring replacement fails to fix the issue would be to replace the short block assembly (been down this road). The technician should've opened a case and contacted techline which then they would've been asked to measure the pistons and bores and report back. The DPSM should've been involved as well. Then they should've offered to cover X amount of the total cost of parts and labor. Seems your dealership doesn't value it's customers and just want you out of their hair. Contact Acura Customer Care lol

Although I would like to add that my personal MDX was over the time (original purchase date) per the warranty extension by only a few days and even as an employee they told me to kick rocks (go figure, luckily employee discount on parts is pretty good. But the labor was free (my time). There's no if's, and's, or but's if the coverage offered by the settlement. Very strict. But considering your repair was done under warranty and it didn't fix the problem, and the 2nd oil consumption test proved it was still consuming oil at an abnormal rate I'd be fighting to have it straightened out!

ccowling 08-02-2021 01:50 PM

I'm thinking of buying a 2014 TL SH-AWD. The engine has been rebuilt as of about a year ago. My question is: is this a design fault so the problem will occur again with the rebuilt engine or does the rebuild solve the issue?

altair47 08-02-2021 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by ccowling (Post 16744039)
I'm thinking of buying a 2014 TL SH-AWD. The engine has been rebuilt as of about a year ago. My question is: is this a design fault so the problem will occur again with the rebuilt engine or does the rebuild solve the issue?

Change oil when 30-40% Oil life and you won't have any problems. What do you mean rebuilt the engine? Changed pistons and rings?

ccowling 08-04-2021 06:11 PM

I haven't seen the invoice yet, pistons for sure (so I think rings are a given), and apparently they charged for the timing belt but it was far cheaper for labour to get it done at the time, so he did it.

ccowling 08-04-2021 06:11 PM

I haven't seen the invoice yet, pistons for sure (so I think rings are a given), and apparently they charged for the timing belt but it was far cheaper for labour to get it done at the time, so he did it.

ccowling is online now Report Post
Quote Multi Quote Quick Reply

altair47 08-04-2021 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by ccowling (Post 16744852)

So this is not rebuilt, it is a simple replacement of pistons and rings. According to the factory specifications the J37 engine is not rebuildable.

ccowling 08-04-2021 11:18 PM

I did get confirmation that it was pistons and rings, a page of other minor bits, some gasket parts but as they were all no charge I can't be sure if they were head gasket serious or minor ones. The previous owner hadn't noted much oil consumption before but was obviously happy for a fairly major redo (since rebuilding is not done, thanks for the info :)
I did buy the car yesterday. I'll be keeping an eye on the oil for the first 10K very closely but overall the car is nice.
Thanks altair47 for your input.

Robert Zanzerkia 01-20-2022 02:36 AM

I need advice on the excessive oil consumption issue.
I bought 2013 TL SH-AWD from my daughter at 95K miles.
Unfortunately we were driving only few miles a week so didn't notice oil consumption.
(It's out of 8 years coverage for the Honda repair on this issue).

I gave the car to my other daughter who lives in NY.
Last week she was here in NH and complained about engine noise.
Checked oil level (nothing on the dipstick).
I had changed the oil in August 2021 with Mobil 1 (15K miles oil) and Mobil 1 filter.
We filled it up and sent her to NY.
2 days later we check the oil level and it's empty.

There is no visible leak but I will have the mechanic check it out and do oil change tomorrow.
What corrective action we can take to reduce the oil consumption?
1) I have read about revving the engine to clean the carbon build up?
2) Add any special oil to reduce consumption?
3) Anything else?

Thanks
Robert

mrphilipanderson 01-20-2022 02:40 AM

1. Use stp pro intake valve cleaner.available at autozone
2. Use sea foam in crank case per instructions.
3. change oil afyer 100 miles.
4. switch to pennzoil ultra platinum 5 20
( on Amazon)
i got the oil consumption fix and it still consumed oil. Afyer about 5000 miles. But this process makes it not drink a drop of oil.
The collective amount of idling directly effects effect how much carbon builds up on pistons which is the cause of the consumption.

trust me. This works.

altair47 01-20-2022 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson (Post 16789758)
1. Use stp pro intake valve cleaner.available at autozone
2. Use sea foam in crank case per instructions.
3. change oil afyer 100 miles.
4. switch to pennzoil ultra platinum 5 20
( on Amazon)
i got the oil consumption fix and it still consumed oil. Afyer about 5000 miles. But this process makes it not drink a drop of oil.
The collective amount of idling directly effects effect how much carbon builds up on pistons which is the cause of the consumption.

trust me. This works.

It sounds like BS, I can’t find a single video on YouTube that someone washed stuck oil rings like that. What was your consumption before flushing? Are you sure that oil consumption has not disappeared due to a change in oil viscosity?

Army 01-20-2022 09:39 AM

Excessive

I added a bottle of the slick 50 but in reality I don’t think there is a darn thing we can do. My 2009 has 96k on it and I put in about a quart every 500-1000 miles. Quite a bummer. Sad for me as I bought it brand new and babied it. Beyond infuriating. Go to a dealer and explain it to the GM and see what they can do. I would imagine you have to replace the piston rings. It’s obviously a design flaw of some kind.

mrphilipanderson 01-20-2022 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by altair47 (Post 16789767)
It sounds like BS, I can’t find a single video on YouTube that someone washed stuck oil rings like that. What was your consumption before flushing? Are you sure that oil consumption has not disappeared due to a change in oil viscosity?

Call it what you want to. HE asked us what has worked for us. That is what worked for me. After countless conversations with Acura techs, and written correspondence with engineers... The compression rate of our engines is high. This produces carbon. read The letter from acura explaining the WHY of the oil consumption was due to CARBON being stuck on the rings and oil NOT returning to the case but being burned off. Did you not read your letter?!? And lastly NO, there was no change in Viscosity. My car has ALWAYS taken 5w20 it says it in the manual, it says it in on the oil cap. Its 2012 TL Advance SH AWD. Also The reason Pennzoil works for MY car is because inherently its made from natural gas so the BASE oil does not have the potential for deposit ingredients in the first place to clog or stick your o rings like regular CRUDE OIL does. STP intake goes directly into the chamber to help loosen gunk. Seafoam added to the crankcase help to dissolve the gunk. And the pennzoil ultra platinum, Not the regular platinum (MUST BE ULTRA PLATINUM) keeps it clean and can handle extremely high compression rates minimising carbon, the result of high compression in a combustion engine.

I can only speak about MY CAR, this works like a charm for me. You are more than welcome to try it. Or you can keep searching for a fix like I did...for years.

altair47 01-20-2022 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson (Post 16789824)
Call it what you want to. HE asked us what has worked for us. That is what worked for me. After countless conversations with Acura techs, and written correspondence with engineers... The compression rate of our engines is high. This produces carbon. read The letter from acura explaining the WHY of the oil consumption was due to CARBON being stuck on the rings and oil NOT returning to the case but being burned off. Did you not read your letter?!? And lastly NO, there was no change in Viscosity. My car has ALWAYS taken 5w20 it says it in the manual, it says it in on the oil cap. Its 2012 TL Advance SH AWD. Also The reason Pennzoil works for MY car is because inherently its made from natural gas so the BASE oil does not have the potential for deposit ingredients in the first place to clog or stick your o rings like regular CRUDE OIL does. STP intake goes directly into the chamber to help loosen gunk. Seafoam added to the crankcase help to dissolve the gunk. And the pennzoil ultra platinum, Not the regular platinum (MUST BE ULTRA PLATINUM) keeps it clean and can handle extremely high compression rates minimising carbon, the result of high compression in a combustion engine.

I can only speak about MY CAR, this works like a charm for me. You are more than welcome to try it. Or you can keep searching for a fix like I did...for years.

Nak nak, wake up, the oil rings are clogged with combustion products of oil, not gasoline, the compression ratio has nothing to do with it. In your opinion, J35Z2(never had a problem with oil consumption) on RDX has a normal compression ratio of 10.5, but TL with 11.2 is extremely high from your words? Seriously? Perhaps you mixed up the word redneck, not engineer. My engine consumed oil and was saved by Dimethyl sulfoxide.

mrphilipanderson 01-20-2022 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by altair47 (Post 16789970)
Nak nak, wake up, the oil rings are clogged with combustion products of oil, not gasoline, the compression ratio has nothing to do with it. In your opinion, J35Z2(never had a problem with oil consumption) on RDX has a normal compression ratio of 10.5, but TL with 11.2 is extremely high from your words? Seriously? Perhaps you mixed up the word redneck, not engineer. My engine consumed oil and was saved by Dimethyl sulfoxide.

I think you made the mistake of thinking I wanted to engage in a futile battle over oil consumption. hahahahah no thanks. I have other battles to fight. You have your solution, I have mine. Your opinion and antics are insignificant to what has worked for my car.
My concern and attention is solely at helping the guy who asked. I gave my feedback, give yours and get over it. I know what the letter from Acura said....on MY paper, about MY car. I know the repairs that were made on MY CAR. I won't entertain you arguing for the sake of arguing about nothing.
What I do know is I wont be trying any of YOUR suggestions....why? Because My oil consumption issues are no more.

altair47 01-20-2022 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson (Post 16789986)
I think you made the mistake of thinking I wanted to engage in a futile battle over oil consumption. hahahahah no thanks. I have other battles to fight. You have your solution, I have mine. Your opinion and antics are insignificant to what has worked for my car.
My concern and attention is solely at helping the guy who asked. I gave my feedback, give yours and get over it. I know what the letter from Acura said....on MY paper, about MY car. I know the repairs that were made on MY CAR. I won't entertain you arguing for the sake of arguing about nothing.
What I do know is I wont be trying any of YOUR suggestions....why? Because My oil consumption issues are no more.

Still, apart from words, you have 0 evidence. Here is a video of how Dimethyl sulfoxide works, Sorry that is in Russian.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...bf4a70438a.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...b82d56fed9.jpg

dzionny_dzionassi 01-20-2022 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson (Post 16789986)

Not sure about your battles, but you are giving bad advice. I will not go in to great detail with you, but nobody is flushing brand new oil scrapper rings after piston re-ring. It is common to burn oil after piston re-ring ( for couple thousand miles depends on engine operation). I am sorry, but your hypothesis is very faulty.
Also SEAFOAM WILL DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO HARD CARBON. It did not work on your car, it is in your head.

Jim2301 01-21-2022 11:34 AM

Mr Philip, From a hydrocarbon and engineering point of view your multi-faceted approach makes little sense. You claim it works, others say "No way". If it does work for you on a long term basis then "great" and I'll be the first one to admit that you're clearly more intelligent that the engineers and marketing folks at Honda/Acura.

Readers, look at it from a common sense point of view. If ANY of Mr Philip's recommended remedies were even remotely successful then Honda/Acura would almost certainly have gone the "treatment route" rather than the extremely costly (money and reputation) program to replace engines and extend warranties. We can be relatively certain that Honda/Acura explored all reasonable alternatives before going down the replacement/extended warranty road.

Me? I'm betting on Honda/Acura's VERY expensive approach as the better alternative. They know their engines and they know the cost/benefits of the various alternatives studied. We may not like their approach/decision but it was very likely better than the "treatment" option.

Steven Maslauskas jr 03-01-2022 10:11 AM

Terrible oil consumption

Man this is terrible I went to the Acura dealership in Seekonk Massachusetts and they told me to take my oil consumption test at my local Honda dealership and when I was finished with it I'm miserably failed and when the Honda dealership called the Acura dealership to let them know that I'm miserably failed the consumption test the Acura dealership said that they would not honor my test due to it being done at a Honda dealership instead of the Acura dealership. But the manager Sean Nunley at the Acura dealership in Seekonk Massachusetts seriously dead-ass told me to go there I'm to take the oil consumption test at that dealership since it was closed and so so much closer to my house then the Acura dealership which was an hour and a half away from my house. So long story short is they never fixed my pistons and rings = is it too late for me to do something about it????? And if it is not too late for me to do something about it what do I do exactly just call the Acura dealership and tell them that my Acura TL 2012 is consuming so much oil it's not even funny like I seriously have to put one quart of oil in my car like one time every month it's ridiculous it's so seriously unbelievably ridiculous how bad my car is consumed in oil and yes I most certainly already have my engine checked for all and any type of oil leaks and there are no oil leaks whatsoever in my engine what that has to do with my engine. Can somebody please help me out with some helpful information and let me know what I should do from this point on it would be greatly appreciated???

mrphilipanderson 03-01-2022 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Steven Maslauskas jr (Post 16800351)
Man this is terrible I went to the Acura dealership in Seekonk Massachusetts and they told me to take my oil consumption test at my local Honda dealership and when I was finished with it I'm miserably failed and when the Honda dealership called the Acura dealership to let them know that I'm miserably failed the consumption test the Acura dealership said that they would not honor my test due to it being done at a Honda dealership instead of the Acura dealership. But the manager Sean Nunley at the Acura dealership in Seekonk Massachusetts seriously dead-ass told me to go there I'm to take the oil consumption test at that dealership since it was closed and so so much closer to my house then the Acura dealership which was an hour and a half away from my house. So long story short is they never fixed my pistons and rings = is it too late for me to do something about it????? And if it is not too late for me to do something about it what do I do exactly just call the Acura dealership and tell them that my Acura TL 2012 is consuming so much oil it's not even funny like I seriously have to put one quart of oil in my car like one time every month it's ridiculous it's so seriously unbelievably ridiculous how bad my car is consumed in oil and yes I most certainly already have my engine checked for all and any type of oil leaks and there are no oil leaks whatsoever in my engine what that has to do with my engine. Can somebody please help me out with some helpful information and let me know what I should do from this point on it would be greatly appreciated???

I would speak directly to the GENERAL manager of the dealership and let him know what happen and ask HIM or HER to allow for an Oil consumption test.
I would also let him or her know that the Service Manager there at the dealership told you to go to honda without explaining that the test would not be valid. So he wasted your time and your money.
Tell him you value your car, and the acura brand and you hope that This deaserhip would give you an opportunity to do the oil consumption test. Schedule an appointment.

mrphilipanderson 03-01-2022 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jim2301 (Post 16790133)
Mr Philip, From a hydrocarbon and engineering point of view your multi-faceted approach makes little sense. You claim it works, others say "No way". If it does work for you on a long term basis then "great" and I'll be the first one to admit that you're clearly more intelligent that the engineers and marketing folks at Honda/Acura.

Readers, look at it from a common sense point of view. If ANY of Mr Philip's recommended remedies were even remotely successful then Honda/Acura would almost certainly have gone the "treatment route" rather than the extremely costly (money and reputation) program to replace engines and extend warranties. We can be relatively certain that Honda/Acura explored all reasonable alternatives before going down the replacement/extended warranty road.

Me? I'm betting on Honda/Acura's VERY expensive approach as the better alternative. They know their engines and they know the cost/benefits of the various alternatives studied. We may not like their approach/decision but it was very likely better than the "treatment" option.

Thank you for your contribution.

mrphilipanderson 03-01-2022 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by altair47 (Post 16789988)
Still, apart from words, you have 0 evidence. Here is a video of how Dimethyl sulfoxide works, Sorry that is in Russian. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frN8Qh0636s
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...bf4a70438a.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...b82d56fed9.jpg

Thank you for your contribution.

Steven Maslauskas jr 03-01-2022 10:28 AM

Oh my God I only wish my engine look like the one on the right LOL I'm having the worst oil consumption problems I think in this entire feed read the last message on this page that's me

mrphilipanderson 03-01-2022 10:33 AM

Its funny how there is so many self proclaimed engineers here. Post your certificate with your name on it. And a photo ID. And a video in russian? Seriously?
I still call Bull$h!t. What worked for me is still working to this day. And based on your re-ring theory its not common for oil to continue to burm. Do you not understand what O-rings do?
if you do Post it here...the specific function of oil control rings. And don't copy and paste cause i'll check for plagiarism.

A bunch of buffoons that learn a few tech words and suddenly they are experts. hahahah. Heres my list of demands.

• Engineer Degree
• Acure Tech Certification
• An English Video supporting your claims
otherwise eat sh!#.

Steven Maslauskas jr 03-01-2022 10:33 AM

Terrible oil consumption

Steven Maslauskas jr 03-01-2022 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson (Post 16800355)
I would speak directly to the GENERAL manager of the dealership and let him know what happen and ask HIM or HER to allow for an Oil consumption test.I would also let him or her know that the Service Manager there at the dealership told you to go to honda without explaining that the test would not be valid. So he wasted your time and your money.Tell him you value your car, and the acura brand and you hope that This deaserhip would give you an opportunity to do the oil consumption test. Schedule an appointment.

​​​​​​​ thank you so much seriously really helped because I didn't know what to do from here on out I was going to just keep adding oil to it as needed but it really should be fixed properly thank you for your information that really seriously helped

mrphilipanderson 03-01-2022 10:52 AM

Dealerships have a way of making you feel powerless. But As long as you are respectful but stand your ground they can be helpful.

Steven Maslauskas jr 03-01-2022 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson (Post 16800366)
Dealerships have a way of making you feel powerless. But As long as you are respectful but stand your ground they can be helpful.

seriously thank you I just need to speak up for myself I have a very very hard time speaking up for myself and standing my ground like you explained in your message and that is something I most certainly got to do in this situation because I love my Acura but cannot stand the oil consumption

Chris Carman 03-01-2022 03:23 PM

Wouldn't the deadline for a 2012 have been 2020?

dregsfan 03-01-2022 10:42 PM

Yes, unless it sat on a dealer lot for a year + and it hasn't yet been 8 years since first sold.

blackphenomenon 09-30-2022 08:47 PM

I noticed that my oil was low between changes, to the point I was adding 3/4 to a Quart every 1500 miles. I took it through the oil consumption test at my Acura Dealership. They confirmed the issue for oil consumption, but my 2013 is now out of the extended warranty period. I have 72k miles. They are offering to pay 40% of the repair, but I don't think that's enough. It's still a pretty new engine by Acura's standards - 72k miles.

Any thoughts on how to get them to honor this warranty 100%? This is seriously about to turn me off of Acura - this is the second time they've had to open my engine - the first time was due to pitted cams which cost a ton to fix as well. I've never had to get an engine rebuilt at this low mileage, and have the dealership tell me I'm responsible for paying, even when they know it's from their defect in manufacturing... I currently own 3 Acuras that I take to this dealership and have owned 3 additional in the past.

altair47 09-30-2022 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by blackphenomenon (Post 16847088)
I noticed that my oil was low between changes, to the point I was adding 3/4 to a Quart every 1500 miles. I took it through the oil consumption test at my Acura Dealership. They confirmed the issue for oil consumption, but my 2013 is now out of the extended warranty period. I have 72k miles. They are offering to pay 40% of the repair, but I don't think that's enough. It's still a pretty new engine by Acura's standards - 72k miles.

Any thoughts on how to get them to honor this warranty 100%? This is seriously about to turn me off of Acura - this is the second time they've had to open my engine - the first time was due to pitted cams which cost a ton to fix as well. I've never had to get an engine rebuilt at this low mileage, and have the dealership tell me I'm responsible for paying, even when they know it's from their defect in manufacturing... I currently own 3 Acuras that I take to this dealership and have owned 3 additional in the past.

This problem is solved by the usual flushing cycle, you just need to follow the instructions and the consumption will go away.

White92NA1 10-02-2022 10:12 PM

Forgive me if this was lost in the previous #967 messages. What exactly is the flushing cycle?

Bprice 10-15-2023 04:56 PM

Everyone is missing the real issue.

Originally Posted by acurakid_slc (Post 15621798)
As many of us who own a 4G TL (also RL, MDX, ZDX and some Honda's) there is a known issue with the J37A engine that causes excessive oil consumption. Everyone is frustrated with this issue and ACURA (American Honda Motor Co. (AHM)), is failing to acknowledge there is an issue. Many customers are getting no where because many dealerships aren't aware because no TSB has been issued. Others are able to get to the next step which is an Oil Consumption Test (I suggest everyone demand that their dealership put them on one)! Depending on the results and the dealership pushing ACURA (AHM) you maybe lucky enough to get to the next stage, having the small blocked replaced. I was one of the lucky ones or so I thought until my "new" (2nd) engine continued consuming excessive oil.

Well I had enough of Acura (AHM) denying there is a defect, after my 3rd Oil consumption test and now on my 3rd "new" engine. I have been fighting ACURA (AHM) since May demanding they fix my TL or repurchase/replace my car. October 23, Acura (AHM) finally responded to me with the most inadequate and disappointing response.

I am paraphrasing from Acura's letters (which I've included); "While we do not feel that an unreasonable number of attempts or time out of service have been incurred to correct a substantial defect with your vehicle, we do agree that you have been inconvenienced and we would like to regain your faith in our product. AHM has agreed to provide you with a onetime cash settlement offer of $3,000 and a 5 year/120,000 Vehicle Service Contract (which I've previously purchased from my dealership when I purchased the car) in good faith and in the interest of customer satisfaction".

They then attached a 2nd page "Release Form". Again I'm paraphrasing "Consumer agrees to accept this amount in full settlement and compromise of any and all claims ... this release is not an admission of fault. This Release may be pleased as a full and complete defense to, and may be used as the basis for an injunction against any action, suit or other proceeding which may be instituted prosecuted or attempted in breach of this Release".

I love how they want a full release from any action or suit if I agree to the cash settlement, yet they acknowledge "a substantial defect with your vehicle".

Is there anyone else out there who has been offered a settlement by Acura?

Also, I am very interested in not only pursuing a personal lawsuit against Acura (AHM), but also would like to see how many other people would join a class action lawsuit against Acura. I have reached out to the attorney's who filed and won a similar class action against Honda for excessive oil.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...11aa9be3b.jpeg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...9fbea0151.jpeg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...9cb323e4f.jpeg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...7ee27adf9.jpeg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...645745a9c.jpeg

Everyone is missing the real issue here. Yes they replace pistons and rings, but guess what they are putting the same ones back in there. Yes the part numbers are different but all they did was change to part numbers. I got new pistons and rings that I ordered because my car had been totaled and did not qualify for the TSB only to find out that the new Pistons and piston rings were identical to the ones I took out of my engine. So that is why people keep still having the same issues because they really didn't change anything. They put the same exact Pistons and piston rings back in only to have the same issue come up again. And yes they have different part numbers but they are exactly the same no change whatsoever.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...90cd9d77c9.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...31037907a2.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...0de1a59e5e.jpg

altair47 10-16-2023 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bprice (Post 16909905)
Everyone is missing the real issue here. Yes they replace pistons and rings, but guess what they are putting the same ones back in there. Yes the part numbers are different but all they did was change to part numbers. I got new pistons and rings that I ordered because my car had been totaled and did not qualify for the TSB only to find out that the new Pistons and piston rings were identical to the ones I took out of my engine. So that is why people keep still having the same issues because they really didn't change anything. They put the same exact Pistons and piston rings back in only to have the same issue come up again. And yes they have different part numbers but they are exactly the same no change whatsoever.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...90cd9d77c9.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...31037907a2.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...0de1a59e5e.jpg

The secret is absolutely simple, change the oil at 30-40% of the Oil's life and you will never have problems with oil consumption.

mlody 10-16-2023 09:13 AM

As disappointing as this might be, at least Acura still treats us better than Toyota and honors the issue outside the warranty period. My daughter has 2013 Prius with about 100k miles and since she clocked 85-90k her car consumes a quart of oil every gas fill up :( To add insult to the injury, this car was in our family since brand new. I understand if this was a used car with a questionable service history, but all oil changes were done at a local Toyota dealer following the recommendation and yet we are dealing with the issues. Toyota only covers this issue during the warranty period, so in our case, since the issue developed outside the warranty period we are hosed up. The priuschat forum members are outraged by this crap. So much for Toyota reliability.

vertigo2 10-16-2023 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by mlody (Post 16909999)
As disappointing as this might be, at least Acura still treats us better than Toyota and honors the issue outside the warranty period. My daughter has 2013 Prius with about 100k miles and since she clocked 85-90k her car consumes a quart of oil every gas fill up :( To add insult to the injury, this car was in our family since brand new. I understand if this was a used car with a questionable service history, but all oil changes were done at a local Toyota dealer following the recommendation and yet we are dealing with the issues. Toyota only covers this issue during the warranty period, so in our case, since the issue developed outside the warranty period we are hosed up. The priuschat forum members are outraged by this crap. So much for Toyota reliability.

I believe the reason is due to the high number of affected cars, I'm sure I read somewhere that about 40% of the 3.7s were expected to develop this issue. I can't imagine that anywhere near that percentage of Priuses (Prii?) have that kind of failure.