Acura Future Plans

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by n-spring
Might I suggest we all go look at and sit inside a 2013 Honda Accord when they hit the showroom. Since the TL is based on the same platform, you can pretty much judge what size the new TLX will be, inside and out, by checking out the Accord.
definitely on point here...
Old 08-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
While the TLX may be a bit smaller on the outside, like the RLX I bet they will try to keep the interior close to the same. So to me that would be great. I'm looking to get the TLX as my next car and that size fits my needs just fine. I'm not too worried. But give me that folding rear seat!
Same requirements ... i need that folding rear seat like the TSX
Old 08-10-2012, 04:15 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by the_razor
Same requirements ... i need that folding rear seat like the TSX
I honestly don't understand why automakers associate this feature with lower prices cars. If the TL had folding rear seats I may have one instead of the TSX. You can get folding rear seats on the 3 and 5-series BMW (as options) and it will be on the 2013 Accord so PLEASE Acura, put them on the TLX! Even TLX owners need to haul the occasional oversized objects from the Big Box stores on occasion. (And no I don't want an SUV thanks; although I really like the RDX and that would be the only SUV I would consider.)
Old 08-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
The next TL will still likely have AWD. But I think it will likely have the hybrid electric AWD from the RL, not the basic AWD from the Accord.

Therfore I would guess it will have 310 HP from the V6, plus another 50 or 70 from the hybrid AWD system. Maybe 360 HP? I think they will just dumb down the RL system.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:43 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
TL: A redesign comes next spring, still sharing the Accord's underpinnings. Because the TL is too close in footprint to the RL, expect a shorter wheelbase and overall length, moving it closer to the soon-to-depart TSX. The big change will be addition of the Earth Dreams engine, a 3.5-liter V-6 with 310 hp and 265 pounds-feet of torque. This is 30 more hp and 11 more pounds-feet than the outgoing 3.5-liter engine in the TL. A hybrid version will also be available, sharing the same parts as the Honda Accord Hybrid and with a fuel economy rating of around 45 mpg.

^^^^ Figures. Some of these cars are just getting too big. It has to hit them in the face that bigger is not always better.
More HP is always better though. They need to slim it down a bit. It's just to big and bulky a car.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:18 AM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Interesting article.

Now I'm kind of unsure about the next gen Acura's. I was kind of optimistic, but they seem to do things that are sometimes questionable. Right when it seems like they have a good mix of vehicles, they add new ones, which makes them have to kill off others. I liked this gens TSX, but I can see why they are killing it off. I think it would have made more sense to make the TSX more affordable next gen as opposed to bringing in the ILX.

In my opinion the TL was too big this gen, which like they said made it compete with the RL. But of course the RL was more expensive so it got shafted. I'm glad they are downsizing the TL next gen, but more important than size is how the car comes together as a whole. I just hope they make it a little sportier.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Healingduck
Interesting article.

I think it would have made more sense to make the TSX more affordable next gen as opposed to bringing in the ILX.
TSX has been the European Accord imported to the US with Acura TSX badging. Making it more affordable for US buyers would require the investment of tooling up a local (or Mexican) assembly plant; and even then it wouldn't share economies with an existing US Honda line. Instead, we get the ILX built in Indiana on the Civic assembly line, but still at a ridiculous price (especially the 2.4 without Tech and no limited slip diff).

I would not be surprised to hear it costs American Honda more money to import a TSX than to build a TL in Marysville, OH. The death of the TSX just means the bean counters won, with reasonable justification this time.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:52 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by draph
TSX has been the European Accord imported to the US with Acura TSX badging. Making it more affordable for US buyers would require the investment of tooling up a local (or Mexican) assembly plant; and even then it wouldn't share economies with an existing US Honda line. Instead, we get the ILX built in Indiana on the Civic assembly line, but still at a ridiculous price (especially the 2.4 without Tech and no limited slip diff).

I would not be surprised to hear it costs American Honda more money to import a TSX than to build a TL in Marysville, OH. The death of the TSX just means the bean counters won, with reasonable justification this time.
The current TSX is built in Japan vice Europe. It is also built in China for Chinese consumption. Actually the Euro Accord is also built in Japan (but not for long). No need to crank up a plant in Mexico to produce the next-gen car, Honda makes several hundred thousand cars right here in the US and that is where the new TLX will be made. I think Honda's plans make sense to me.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm expecting Acura to add these options or make them standard on the new TL. If not, I will be officially confused as to why the new Accord will have these optional!!:
SMS Text Function
LED Headlights
Larger Nav Screen
Collision Mitigation Braking System
Lane Departure Warning
Blind Spot Warning
Multi Angle Rearview Camera
Radio Apps (Pandora, Slacker)
Old 08-18-2012, 03:32 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking 2013 Redesign?

I just took delivery today of a 2012 TL SH-AWD Tech (Black/Umber). This thread really took me by surprise as everything I'd read up until now (and that's a lot) suggested that, with the 2012 mid-cycle revamp, there would be very few, if any, changes for 2013. 2014 would be the year for a complete overhaul. I figured I could live with that time frame. Nobody wants to buy a new car (especially) late in the season only to see a totally new version out in just a few short months.

Not to doubt the accuracy of the report, but it does seem odd that Acura would have invested any significant capitol on a 2012 mid-cycle refresh knowing that a complete redesign was in the works for 2013. I suppose the scarier thought would be that the planners and design engineers at Acura decided to do both!

Assuming all of this is true, I'm still not bothered by it. It almost sounds like Acura is facing the same quandary Infiniti did a few years back when they completely redesigned the M and discontinued the Q. It seems it took a couple of iterations of the M before they got it right. That is, of course, if you consider the current M "right".

I understand that each cannibalized the sales of the other and that neither really filled the price point niche Infiniti needed to compete with the likes of comparably sized sedans in the Lexus, Audi, MB and BMW lineups. They've at least done that with the M. However, as a former Q owner it would have seemed to have made more sense to nix the M and stick with the Q but, as they say, that's half dozen of one, six of the other.

As for the TL, if redesigned as described, maybe we have the last chance at getting - at least for the foreseeable future - a fine automobile with a long list of features and luxury appointments only found in those same competitors that are priced thousands, often many thousands, more. Sure, we've all heard about the shortcomings with the 4G TL but these are largely matters of personal taste and preference with little to nothing to do with issues of performance, quality, and reliability and nothing to do with price.

Having just taken delivery today, it was my first opportunity to really get out and DRIVE the TL. This is an incredibly smooth, powerful, comfortable and yes, "super handling" automobile. So, redesign for 2013 or not, I'm sure this will be a car that I am happy driving for years to come.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
The changes as reported by Automotive News, a reputable auto dealer trade publication, are not for the 2013 model year, but 2014 model year. There was not a mention of an actual introduction date, but usually a model year is at least several months to a few months ahead of the calendar year. So we can guess that the 2014 TL or TLX or whatever the car will be called with appear sometime in 2013. If I were to guess, sometime around this time next year. In the coming months I'm sure we will learn more about release dates. Congrats on your new car by the way.

Last edited by Linmk2; 08-18-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:36 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Conference call:

"Yea, sabotage the TL so the RL can sell"

I like Audi's, BMW, and might learn to love Infiniti interiors...
Old 08-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Linmk2
The changes as reported by Automotive News, a reputable auto dealer trade publication, are not for the 2013 model year, but 2014 model year. There was not a mention of an actual introduction date, but usually a model year is at least several months to a few months ahead of the calendar year. So we can guess that the 2014 TL or TLX or whatever the car will be called with appear sometime in 2013. If I were to guess, sometime around this time next year. In the coming months I'm sure we will learn more about release dates. Congrats on your new car by the way.
I believe if they think it will boost sales quickly they will do an early introduction like they did for the MMC on the current model.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Cruisin'

Right Linmk2...Redesign of the 2014 model year for release later in 2013. That's what I meant. So we'll have another year (the 2013's) of the current styling. I can live with that...'13's might not sell so well though
Old 08-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Infiniti2Acura
Right Linmk2...Redesign of the 2014 model year for release later in 2013. That's what I meant. So we'll have another year (the 2013's) of the current styling. I can live with that...'13's might not sell so well though
I have a 2012 as well and love it. Glad you are enjoying yours as well. One positive thing is if the 2014 comes early the MMD 4g TL will be really rare on the road.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by silverrevlis
I'm expecting Acura to add these options or make them standard on the new TL. If not, I will be officially confused as to why the new Accord will have these optional!!:
You want confused? Confused is me looking at a 2013 Accord and the options it's rumored to have and then looking at a 2013 RDX and fully optioning that out. Tell me which one is the luxury or near-luxury vehicle.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by Linmk2
I originally thought the 5G TL wouldn't be introduced until September/October of next year, but the article itself states :

TL: A redesign comes next spring, still sharing the Accord's underpinnings.

I don't know if they're saying it'll be released for production next spring or it will be revealed next spring for a fall release. Then again, they could be completely off with their info. Who knows.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I assumed revealed in the spring for a fall release. But I def would not mind it releasing in the spring ha.

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I originally thought the 5G TL wouldn't be introduced until September/October of next year, but the article itself states :

I don't know if they're saying it'll be released for production next spring or it will be revealed next spring for a fall release. Then again, they could be completely off with their info. Who knows.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:00 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan

Who's to believe ? The article, or Honda.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:57 AM
Intermediate

(The next TL will still likely have AWD. But I think it will likely have the hybrid electric AWD from the RL, not the basic AWD from the Accord.

Therfore I would guess it will have 310 HP from the V6, plus another 50 or 70 from the hybrid AWD system. Maybe 360 HP? I think they will just dumb down the RL system.)

I sure hope you're right. I'll tell you right now, I've been waiting for the 5g TL practically since I got my 4g. And if the rumours are true, and it's only gonna have 5 extra horse, I'm gone as a loyal customer for years. That's not gonna cut it. The TL will be at a disadvantage to almost all it's main competitors. Infiniti's probaby gonna get it right with their next G, MB always gets it right (performance wise) with their AMGs, as does BMW M... what's acura thinking? If that HP number is correct, I'll be at the Infiniti dealership real fast, and I don't care how nice the 5g ends up looking. All show, no go... no thanks.

Kudos to the poster that pointed that even a HYUNDAI genesis coupe has like 350 hp.

Can we get at least that acura????
Old 08-20-2012, 04:12 AM
Intermediate

One other thing: Acura may as well forget the 7sp DCT if they're only gonna give the TL 310hp. What's the point?? I mean, they only came out with a 6sp auto in 2012. The 5gs gonna have to come out with a lot more to keep me loyal.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
I honestly don't understand why automakers associate this feature with lower prices cars. If the TL had folding rear seats I may have one instead of the TSX. You can get folding rear seats on the 3 and 5-series BMW (as options) and it will be on the 2013 Accord so PLEASE Acura, put them on the TLX! Even TLX owners need to haul the occasional oversized objects from the Big Box stores on occasion. (And no I don't want an SUV thanks; although I really like the RDX and that would be the only SUV I would consider.)

I'm with you, I don't want an SUV...I wish they had a 2dr coupe, I am enjoying my TL, however I moved from a 2dr 3.2 CL to the 4dr TL since they don't offer a 2dr anymore. Sad in my estimation.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the RL is going to be the flagship, they have to make the TL smaller, and (possibly) cheaper. Here's what I want....

Integration with the usual suspects (SMS), but if possible, the ability to integrate your phone's apps. I don't want Pandora/Songza in my car, I want my car to become an extension of my phone.

Either keep the current SH-AWD, or introduce the hybrid system from the RL. Smaller car, same hybrid powertrain... Vroom.

Don't be scared to paint the calipers, maybe offer a performance brake and wheel package, something like that.

Oh, and I want to trade my 2012 in on a 2013 TL-S, but I'm guessing that won't happen either.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Are those types of automotive sales figures readily available somewhere? You might as well also post comparison with Toyota (Lexus) and Nissan (Infiniti) just as a comparison.

I am more of an engineer than a marketing type but from a layperson perspective, here is what I would do. I would drop the RL name and replace with a real high-end bells and whistles model with a V8 and call it Legend. Right now there really is no model at Acura that deserves "flagship" designation. Lexus has the LS (or even GS) models, Infiniti has the M, BMW has the 7-series, etc.

A "flagship" model has to have something worth paying the extra bucks for. When I was shopping for my TL I was at a dealer where new TL's and RL's were parked near each other. For the life of me I could not figure out why anyone would spend that extra $10K (at least) for a model that looks and spec wise was not much different than the TL. If Acura wants to have a "flagship" attention grabbing model that is $10K more than the next model down, they need to offer something that is worth the extra bucks, imho.
I agree. And they need to get over this front-drive only mentality and come out with a true RWD platform with AWD as an option based on the RWD platform.

When we bought my wife our current 2012 TL I felt like it was the best car for us, and my wife still loves it. I think it's a fun car, but I would not buy one as my daily driver. I guess I've spoiled myself with my new car and maybe that's not a fair comparison. But the competition is not standing still, and I don't think my wife's next car will be another TL unless they up their game.

My wife wanted a CTS Cadillac because I had one already and she liked it. But there were things I didn't like about it so I convinced her to go with the TL. But now the new ATS comes along and I would have to seriously consider that car for her.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Forgot about the Cadillac. I feel that Cadillac has finally hit the mark with the CTS and the 4-door sedan was a serious consideration. I very much like the CTS 2-door and think it is one of the sharpest looking cars around. I was trying to talk the wife into considering that but she somehow thinks we need at least one 4-door car in the family (for what I don't know).
Old 08-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Ikea? Ooooh, oh. Next time you are there, try the Chicken!