Acura factory remote start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura factory remote start?

Anyone with a 4G TL, tech package, non tech, AWD...any model have the factory Acura remote start installed...read online and heard from my dealer that it shuts off when you open any of the car doors...why would Acura have not just taken advantage of the imobilizer some how and killed the engine when you shift from park to drive (as soon as you place your foot on the brake, kill it if you don't have the factory key fob in the car???) I'm just curious from what I heard is any of this true?????
Old 11-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Racer

Does no one have the factory remote start from Acura installed from their dealer???
Old 11-18-2009, 12:31 AM
Connoisseur of Aesthetics

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might be wrong about this but I believe the factory start was available in Canada and if it is available in the US, it was made recently. So a lot of people don't have it yet or just plain don't have it.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by skyfox23
Anyone with a 4G TL, tech package, non tech, AWD...any model have the factory Acura remote start installed...read online and heard from my dealer that it shuts off when you open any of the car doors...why would Acura have not just taken advantage of the imobilizer some how and killed the engine when you shift from park to drive (as soon as you place your foot on the brake, kill it if you don't have the factory key fob in the car???) I'm just curious from what I heard is any of this true?????
Is a safety feature. At 500 plus install I do not believe that may will install this option. Because there is programming involved its not something you can do yourself.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:18 AM
2009 TL SH-AWD Tech

I asked for the remote start when I purchased my TL SHAWD w/ tech...
bascially...... no dealer can answer me the questions about the remote start system..... most dealers said they rarely sell that.......lol......and i'm in canada.....
Old 11-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Racer

^^
I think it's a great feature to have, espsecially up north...my dealership said the same thing it's not something commonly sold, I wish there was more information available on it?
Old 11-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that Remote Start would cause the motor to shut off when you open the door.

The regular keyless entry on my 2010 TL allows me to get in the car, start the car, open the door and walk away.

I don't understand why Remote Start would would differently.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:07 PM
8th Gear

Remote starters are terrible for the environment dont get one you dont really need it!!! Just my opinion. They are also savage on gas.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
remote starters are awesome! everybody needs to get one!
Old 11-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Racer

^^
I agree do you have one on your 10 CBP ??
Old 11-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Transit
Remote starters are terrible for the environment dont get one you dont really need it!!! Just my opinion. They are also savage on gas.
It's a convience thing
Old 11-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by George Knighton
It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that Remote Start would cause the motor to shut off when you open the door.

The regular keyless entry on my 2010 TL allows me to get in the car, start the car, open the door and walk away.

I don't understand why Remote Start would would differently.

Because if it were remote started anyone could get in your car and take off with it
Old 11-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by skyfox23
Because if it were remote started anyone could get in your car and take off with it
What stops them driving off with it when I've started it with the keyless entry system and walked away?

With either system, can you lock the door while the car's running if you have the remote on your person?
Old 11-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Racer

^^
Nothing I would presume, would stop someone from taking off with your car after you've started it with the keyless entry, that's what has led me to posting this question in the first place, thats why the dealership and I belive I also read it on here that the FACTORY Acura remote start kills the engine if the door is opened? My reasoning behind wanting more information on this is because I would have thought Acura could have came up with a better theft deterent!?
Old 12-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Andrew

Received 532 Likes on 314 Posts
Remote start should have nothing to do with the doors or locking mechanism, it should only disable the first stage of the immobilizer/start the vehicle/bring the inside/steering wheel/seat temps up to a comfortable ° using various sensors. Once the owner arrives, the vehicle is unlocked, which disables the 2nd stage of the immobilizer and allows the vehicle to move. This isn't rocket science, but if it were I'd just remind Acura that we have been to the moon, and the technology they possess at the moment far exceeds that which took us there.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Cruisin'

I just took my new 2010 awd tech tuesday, and also took the remote starter option. I'm still in reading all these driver guides, and only tried remote start once. I am also interested in finding out if there's a way to avoid the car to stop when going in. In theory, you remote start it when you're away from the car (from the house). The car runs and is locked. Doors shouldn't be unlocked by anyone going by, as your keyless thing is with you, in the house...I will try different things with this remote, but I believe there is no official ways to bypass this stop feature. Salesman couldn't answer clearly too, I'll try to talk to the tech on my next visit to the dealer...
Old 12-11-2009, 10:00 AM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by dlarchev
I just took my new 2010 awd tech tuesday, and also took the remote starter option. I'm still in reading all these driver guides, and only tried remote start once. I am also interested in finding out if there's a way to avoid the car to stop when going in. In theory, you remote start it when you're away from the car (from the house). The car runs and is locked. Doors shouldn't be unlocked by anyone going by, as your keyless thing is with you, in the house...I will try different things with this remote, but I believe there is no official ways to bypass this stop feature. Salesman couldn't answer clearly too, I'll try to talk to the tech on my next visit to the dealer...
How much the dealer charge you for that ? Back on august when I got my Tl they were saying something like 850$ .
I didn't push it then , but now that winter is here and my wife had that on her car , I kind of want it ...Brrrr...
Old 12-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Cruisin'

850 is the list price for it, yes. I've leased the car, and there is no price mentions anywhere of the options I took. You know, it's all about negociating here. Got Sherlock, 4 winter tires on rims and remote starter in the deal. All these options are 'included' on the contract with 0$ extra costs. They apparently made a mistake on the contract, the residual value is wrong as they forgot to include the tech pack in calculation, have to go back to dealer monday. No change on my payments, that's clear.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:43 AM

850 is the list price for it, yes. I've leased the car, and there is no price mentions anywhere of the options I took. You know, it's all about negociating here. Got Sherlock, 4 winter tires on rims and remote starter in the deal. All these options are 'included' on the contract with 0$ extra costs. They apparently made a mistake on the contract, the residual value is wrong as they forgot to include the tech pack in calculation, have to go back to dealer monday. No change on my payments, that's clear.
Which dealer ? I had something similar myself also.
Mine is financing on 4 years ,but initially they gave the price for an AWD no Tech, when I was asking for AWD with Tech. It was too good to be true..
After few back and forward we agree on the deal.
But just to see if it's a new negotiating trick..my dealer is Acura in Laval
Old 12-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Cruisin'

Acura Brossard...price on contract is 50758, that is including Sherlock, 4 michelin primacy 17'' on grey rims (looks ok), and remote starter. Also on a 4 years/96k, leasing...first time I lease, will see how it turns out at the end. They'll probably re-adjust this price + residual, as mentioned before, but not my payments....looks like we have the same exact car, grigio with black interior ? Cheers.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:43 PM

Acura Brossard...price on contract is 50758, that is including Sherlock, 4 michelin primacy 17'' on grey rims (looks ok), and remote starter. Also on a 4 years/96k, leasing...first time I lease, will see how it turns out at the end. They'll probably re-adjust this price + residual, as mentioned before, but not my payments....looks like we have the same exact car, grigio with black interior ? Cheers.
Congratulations !
It's not exactly..mine is grigio with umber
Old 12-11-2009, 03:55 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I have remote start in my 1997 Toyota 4Runner (Aftermarket) & my 2003 Nissan Maxima (Nissan Dealer) and they are awesome. They both shut the car off as soon as you put your foot on the brake. I would assume Acura would make it the same unless the key is on your person.
I want to get one for my wifes 2010 TL, but I will wait till it comes down in price and all the hype has died down since the car is garaged.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:54 AM
Cruisin'

Just a quick update, I've asked again on my last visit to the dealer about this shut off on remote start, no way to get away from it...and about my contract correction, the salesman made a mistake on my deal, he quoted me with an straight AWD, without Tech. This went through the other level of approval as well. Yesterday, I met the sales director, he told me they made a mistake, I should have been charged +50$/month more for what I leased, but recognized this wasn't my problem, so they would absorb it. It's all about coincidence, he was off on the evening I made the deal, otherwise it would have not gone through like this...So I'm driving an awd+tech (+options) at cost of a straight awd. Happy me :-)
Old 12-15-2009, 08:17 AM

Just a quick update, I've asked again on my last visit to the dealer about this shut off on remote start, no way to get away from it...and about my contract correction, the salesman made a mistake on my deal, he quoted me with an straight AWD, without Tech. This went through the other level of approval as well. Yesterday, I met the sales director, he told me they made a mistake, I should have been charged +50$/month more for what I leased, but recognized this wasn't my problem, so they would absorb it. It's all about coincidence, he was off on the evening I made the deal, otherwise it would have not gone through like this...So I'm driving an awd+tech (+options) at cost of a straight awd. Happy me :-)
Check your residual value. They may increased it to keep same monthly payments. If you don't want to buy it at the end or trade-in earlier is not a problem , but otherwise you will get the hit...
Old 12-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Cruisin'

Of course, they adjusted both the sell price and the residual so that my payments wouldn't change. It would have not gone through as-is at Honda main office. Bottom line, I think I ended up with a good deal in this situation, and I never had the intent to buy it back at end of my lease.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Advanced

My wife's Acadia has remote start (only way to get the back-up sensors -- I love packages). To start, you must hit the lock doors button, then hold down the remote start button. The doors can then be unlocked if you want, but you have already locked them, so nobody should be able to get in. After getting into the car, you put the key in the running car and turn to the ignition position and you're off. No re-starting the car. The car cannot be taken out of park without the key in the ignition (not a push-button). A/C or hear comes on full blast as needed when remote started and then turns down to previous settings when the key is put in.

Quite nice, but not used much in CA. Like I said, collateral damage with buying the backup sensors. Fun to scare the 6 year old when he's pretend driving in the parking lot!
Old 08-26-2010, 02:16 PM
1st Gear

Same goes on my scenario. Acura give me the same deal, luckily I got my 10TL SH-AwD w/tech & equiped w/sport B, tinted for a clean $42K on a lease to own plan. Even the service writers can't believe on how much I save on that deal. I juz talk directly to the sales & finance manager, I know the inns & out of their figures so they give me the car at they're cost. Not only I save on MSRP, my monthly iz $200 less on what others pay. Plus im the one using all the residual so pretty much juz paying Uncle Sam for using it on the road.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:47 AM
The Sicilian

Ok can I now get the remote starter installed in my wifes 2010 TL w/Tech? I see they had the option on the 2011 which is the same as a 2010. Still bugs me that we could not get it when we bought the car. All my other cars have it, even my 97 4Runner.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Rowing my own

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I was told it was a dealer installed item (for an '11) but they also mentioned that they changed something where you no longer had to "hide" a proximity key inside the car for the feature to work, I'm not sure if that part of it was new for '11, or if Acura finally made available the factory system (most 3rd party remote starts require a key hidden if there is a proximity key sensor)

As a side note my Subaru's remote start behaves the same way, open the door, motor goes dead. Slightly annoying, but only from an extra cranks of the starter point of view, I'd imagine it even less annoying with the smart key system (Subaru doesn't do smartkeys in the states).
Old 03-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I am going to get this installed on my '12. In Houston, it''s so good to have the car pre-cooled... ahhhh, yes.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:04 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I am going to get this installed on my '12. In Houston, it''s so good to have the car pre-cooled... ahhhh, yes.
It's been nice the last few days, but summer's coming... so yeah, it'll be nice to have a remote start. Any idea if it's possible on an M/T?
Old 03-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by lji
It's been nice the last few days, but summer's coming... so yeah, it'll be nice to have a remote start. Any idea if it's possible on an M/T?
It isn't available for M/T.. according to Acura.. They could do it but have an over ride if the car is in gear and not operate. I think a car is more likely to slip into gear in an AT than a MT.. I have had it happen.. it wasn't pretty
Old 03-18-2011, 01:34 PM
The Sicilian

Originally Posted by gibjer
I was told it was a dealer installed item (for an '11) but they also mentioned that they changed something where you no longer had to "hide" a proximity key inside the car for the feature to work, I'm not sure if that part of it was new for '11, or if Acura finally made available the factory system (most 3rd party remote starts require a key hidden if there is a proximity key sensor)

As a side note my Subaru's remote start behaves the same way, open the door, motor goes dead. Slightly annoying, but only from an extra cranks of the starter point of view, I'd imagine it even less annoying with the smart key system (Subaru doesn't do smartkeys in the states).
So I wonder if I should get it installed by the dealer or a 3rd party? I reason I bring it up is that when I go to the Acura Website and build the 2011, it offers the remote start as an accessory now.

And yes that is strange that when you open the doors the motor shuts down. On both my Maxima (Dealer Installed) and my 4Runner (3rd Paty Installed) the motor shuts off as soon as you put your foot on the brake.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jspagna1
So I wonder if I should get it installed by the dealer or a 3rd party? I reason I bring it up is that when I go to the Acura Website and build the 2011, it offers the remote start as an accessory now.

And yes that is strange that when you open the doors the motor shuts down. On both my Maxima (Dealer Installed) and my 4Runner (3rd Paty Installed) the motor shuts off as soon as you put your foot on the brake.
Anti-theft issue, maybe?
Old 03-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I was offered it as a dealer installed option on my 2010 I bought at the end of June last year. My sales guy recommended a Viper over the factory one. Just recently got some quotes on Viper alarm/remote start combo and asked what the deal is with the car shutting off when opening the door since the Viper will do that too. I was told because of the push button, the bypass overrides the need for the keyfob to be present to start the car. If the car didn't shut the engine off when the door was opened anyone could just steal your car. In my last vehicle with the Viper, you had to put the key in and turn it to on before hitting the brake or it shuts off. They said since these cars have the keyfob this is how the factory or aftermarket system would work as there is no key to put in the ignition.
The following users liked this post:
kevinphan45 (10-20-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Anti-theft issue, maybe?
yes anti theft issue

the engine will shut off if the door is unlocked or car started (and more situations, see manual?)

this is to prevent people from bashing your window and driving it away after u start the car remotely
Old 03-18-2011, 02:15 PM
The Sicilian

Originally Posted by lji
No. Most MT cars will not come with RS. BMW doesn't put RS on any of their cars AT or MT.
On a MT car you are asking for trouble.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
yes anti theft issue

the engine will shut off if the door is unlocked or car started (and more situations, see manual?)

this is to prevent people from bashing your window and driving it away after u start the car remotely
I have to wonder how many were stolen before they added those interlocks
Old 03-18-2011, 02:32 PM
The Sicilian

Originally Posted by blkhwkz
I was offered it as a dealer installed option on my 2010 I bought at the end of June last year. My sales guy recommended a Viper over the factory one. Just recently got some quotes on Viper alarm/remote start combo and asked what the deal is with the car shutting off when opening the door since the Viper will do that too. I was told because of the push button, the bypass overrides the need for the keyfob to be present to start the car. If the car didn't shut the engine off when the door was opened anyone could just steal your car. In my last vehicle with the Viper, you had to put the key in and turn it to on before hitting the brake or it shuts off. They said since these cars have the keyfob this is how the factory or aftermarket system would work as there is no key to put in the ignition.
That makes sense, I forgot about the push start. So you recommend the Viper system? How much we talking? Ballpark!
Old 03-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
That makes sense, I forgot about the push start. So you recommend the Viper system? How much we talking? Ballpark!
I was quoted about $700 for a Viper 5901 installed with the bypass. I wanted the backup battery and the tilt sensor (another $100) and SmartStart so I could use my phone which adds another $200. I'm guessing just a remote start without the alarm probably be in the $500 range. Which is in line with the factory one.

Quick Reply: Acura factory remote start?