Acura Dealership Service Fraud

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 01:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Acura Dealership Service Fraud

I wanted to post this in a more general forum, but couldn't determine which one.

Before I start personally identifying people, I would like to know if there's definite answers for the following 2 questions:
Are dealerships authorized to perform vehicle repairs in any other way other than what is specified in the vehicle's repair manual?
Would Acura Client Services accept a video/audio recording of the dealership service dept. lying to me, without their knowledge of being recorded? I know this wouldn't work in court, but should work for Acura internally.

I am 100% sure that a dealership damaged my vehicle while in their possession, but the dealership is lying about the repair process to avoid responsibility. And I am not going to let them get away with this.

Once this whole thing boils over, I'll identify the dealership in question so future and fellow Acuraziners can avoid the place.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
I see your location is New York, which is a one-party consent state so you're allowed to record your conversation with the service department without their permission as far as I know. I'm not a lawyer so you might want to double check my information.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
I had this happen at a Chevrolet dealer. When they returned my truck they asked, did I know there was a dent at the bottom of the passenger door. I looked and the door was bent back at the bottom of the door corner - outside corner. I told them I had just washed the truck a couple days earlier and the dent was not there. The guy helping me said he would talk with the manager of the service department. I waited about 10 minutes for them to come back and the service manager told me it was their fault. They have security cameras all around the shop and when they put my truck on the rack to rotate the tires, one guy had the passenger door open as another guy rolled the truck back to get it on the hoist. The door was pinched or something and it bent the bottom corner back. They admitted the fault and had it fixed within a couple days.

So, if they damaged the car or did something while in their possession, you should be able to have them prove it with their security cameras.
The following users liked this post:
Midnight Mystery (11-14-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 11:08 PM
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts
Similar situation happened to my sister in law's SUV. They put a deep scratch in her door and said it was already there. She showed the manager a picture that was dated showing the scratch wasn't there. He went back, watched security video and he saw when they did it.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:04 AM
Intermediate

I went back to the dealership and after expressing to them how pissed off I was about this, management gave me 2 options, either a service credit (worthless) or fix the damages that I pointed out to them. I told them that I wanted to see their videos but they said that there's no access to that.

Obviously I took the 2nd option, but after picking up my vehicle from them again after settling on a resolution, my car was a complete mess.

I had 2 water bottles in the front cup holder before they took in the vehicle. After picking it up, there was only 1 bottle and the cup holder was flooded. The passenger side floor mat was wet and the seat heater controls also had water go in the switches..
I also keep snacks in the car. And there, on the floor mat, were torn up candy wrappers all over the place.
And in general, the exterior of the car is much dirtier than when I bring it in, with purple and yellow dried liquids and black grease spots randomly streaked over the car. Repair shops are generally not the cleanest place, but my car didn't even have work performed on it during the day and a half that they held my car. Do these guys fling oil and antifreeze at each other while working on these cars??

So either this dealership's drivers and technicians don't give a shit about the customer's cars, or that they hold some weird grudge against my car. And that their techs/drivers are being dishonest with the service managers, or both techs and service managers are being dishonest to the customer.

How the hell am I supposed to expect that my car will be treated like own's one personal property while it's in for the 2nd repair? These dealerships are independent and I can't bring my car to another dealership to fix what the first dealership did.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 4gBWP
I went back to the dealership and after expressing to them how pissed off I was about this, management gave me 2 options, either a service credit (worthless) or fix the damages that I pointed out to them. I told them that I wanted to see their videos but they said that there's no access to that.

Obviously I took the 2nd option, but after picking up my vehicle from them again after settling on a resolution, my car was a complete mess.

I had 2 water bottles in the front cup holder before they took in the vehicle. After picking it up, there was only 1 bottle and the cup holder was flooded. The passenger side floor mat was wet and the seat heater controls also had water go in the switches..
I also keep snacks in the car. And there, on the floor mat, were torn up candy wrappers all over the place.
And in general, the exterior of the car is much dirtier than when I bring it in, with purple and yellow dried liquids and black grease spots randomly streaked over the car. Repair shops are generally not the cleanest place, but my car didn't even have work performed on it during the day and a half that they held my car. Do these guys fling oil and antifreeze at each other while working on these cars??

So either this dealership's drivers and technicians don't give a shit about the customer's cars, or that they hold some weird grudge against my car. And that their techs/drivers are being dishonest with the service managers, or both techs and service managers are being dishonest to the customer.

How the hell am I supposed to expect that my car will be treated like own's one personal property while it's in for the 2nd repair? These dealerships are independent and I can't bring my car to another dealership to fix what the first dealership did.
This is ridiculous. Get Acura client relations involved and maybe a local news station..
Old 11-14-2019, 05:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Tell them to have the damages repaired and the car detailed at another acura dealership. As well demand that they pay for your stolen snacks too! Theft is theft.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:26 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Report to corporate and find a new dealer. That is inexcusable.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:49 PM
7th Gear

Wow, I thought my dealership is bad enough, they are saints compared to yours.

File a complaint to Acura corporate office, make sure you take pictures of every incident to back your story. If Acura doesn't deal with this, go to a local media outlet and expose them.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts

So, where is the fraud?

It sounds like they took your car out to get food and a mechanic ate your snacks and spilled water in the vehicle.

They've admitted it and offered repairs.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:16 PM
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
So, where is the fraud?

It sounds like they took your car out to get food and a mechanic ate your snacks and spilled water in the vehicle.

They've admitted it and offered repairs.
Seems like they admitted damaging the OP's car, and fixed it. But while fixing it they made a mess of the interior. I don't see where the OP said they owned up to, and fixed, that. That's why he's still pissed off, and I don't blame him.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:33 PM
Intermediate

The fraud part was if the dealership denied any wrongdoing at all.

If you want to say that them offering to repair it implies that they are admitting it, then okay. But they were never apologetic and did not once state to me that it was their fault, even though it was easily proven that the damage occurred while in their possession. Keeps them safe, I suppose, but I was pissed that I had to deal find the damages for myself and having to spend hours of my own time trying to deal with it. And to top it off, I felt like I was treated as more of a nuisance than as a pissed off customer.

I thought dealerships were supposed to be a place to receive at least standard service. And I don't feel the slightest bit comfortable that I have to go back to this place, whose employees are not mindful at all of what they're doing to a customer's vehicle, to have them fix what they damaged.
hadokenuh (11-20-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 01:59 PM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
I'm always so nervous when my car is worked on because of stories just like this. Usually the only work I have done is at tire shops (mounting and balancing tires). But I only go to shops that have a glass panel between the shop and your car so you can watch them like a hawk while they're working.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If they damaged your vehicle then they need to do the right thing and fix it. I had to file a complaint against our Acura dealer here over an issue for a refund on a service contract. The process was about a month from start to finish and I got my refund. Good luck !

Last edited by JG245; 12-09-2019 at 08:30 PM. Reason: didn't have all the info