5th Gen TL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Will be interesting to see the new TLX makeover.

FYI on the article on CNN this morning of the 11 cars ready for a makeover - the new RLX and MDX are both on the list which doesn't bode well for how the TLX may be perceived...

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2...une/index.html
Old 04-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Well I'm pretty new around here but not new to the Honda/Acura line. I've owned: 2 Accords 95/03; 2 TL 98/03; 6 Legends, 2TSX 04/10; 2 RL both 04.
I must say Honda/Acura has a great product but has continually fallen behind its competitors BMW, Mercades, Lexus etc. Every Acura I've owned, I loved but lately I just haven't seen them really deliver. I think they really bombed with the RLX because for that price you could spen a few more thousand and get an LS460 (which I also own)! The 04 RL was by far the best RL interms of design and reliability. 05 and higher trumps the previous ones in terms of technology.
The TL on the other hand has been a truly phenomenal product from its inception in 95. With the letdown surrounding the loss of the Legend name, the TL has carried Acura from the 90's until now. Just when we thought Acura was falling off they shock us with something amazing like the 3G TL! If that wasn't enough, they brought back the Type S model and gave you a 6MT as an option! I've heard for 2014 the TL will get the Type S again but no one knows for sure. With the way the car scene is now, they better bring it b/c the 3G and 4G TL will be hard to top.
One thing I do love about owning an Acura vs owning a Lexus is the maintenance is a LOT cheaper for the Acura. Granted a have both the LS 430 and 460 but compared to my RL service, Lexus could stop making cars and stay in business from just the services/repairs I really want my next car the be a TL but if Acura can't deliver on the 5G then I will most likely go with a 6 MT Type s!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:18 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know anything about the Honda concept C as clues to the looks of the 5G TL? I would seriously consider something that looked like that concept. I've owned 2 TLs, presently have what I think is the best looking sedan Honda ever released, the 3G. I'm not at all a fan of the 4G, I don't like the looks and I think loosing the touch screen was a major step back in user interface. iPod, iPhone, iPad, smart phones, tablets... not a mouse in sight. A trunk opening a la Passat CC would be another welcomed improvement.

Last edited by CedarLake; 04-09-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
^^^^
That is what everyone want s to know. Acura is really blowing the TLX, although the pivotal point will be when the IS and Q50 go on sale in the next few months and then the CTS. If Acura does not have give indication of where the TLX is going people will be lured away. I for one am out of my lease in a few months and and would be interested in the TLX if I knew what a prototype looked like, say Acura showed the Concept C and said this is the TLX and it will have either SH-AWD or SH-AWD coming in 2014 then I would be willing to set myself up to wait on my next car to see the TLX. Otherwise I am liking the CTS right now, but not sure I can bring myself to give GM any of my money for various reasons. The Q50 looks sweet, but it is a evolved G and I find the G too cramped for me. I am not digging Lexus mouse controller and the new IS interior to me looks to disjointed. So my 3 contenders right now are another M37, TLX or CTS. I have been looking at E350 and BMW 5, but honestly every time I try to configure one the way I want it I am $5-10K more than a fully loaded M37 and then I have to deal with German lack of reliability and repair costs. I have been thinking of a 4G AWD TL as a bridge car, but I would have to be in that 2 years for it to be economical to trade out of, I know myself better than that and know once something is out that I want I will be going out of my way to trade out of it.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I appreciate the size of the interior of the TL. I tried numerous other cars - makes, models, etc. Being 6' 10" my options were quite limited. I really only fit in the TL and the 535. The trend of shrinking the vehicles and/or lowering their overall profile is a pain for me - even when we picked up our Odyssey a few years back, we had to quickly snap up a 2010, as the 2011 onward was too small for me inside.