5th Gen TL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013 | 08:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by i64X
I love my TL, I really do. The fact that I could get a real manual transmission in a large sedan is something that is dying trend. I'm glad Acura kept it around at least through the 4G. Honda has killed it from the Accord (the sedan at least), and I'm afraid with this new generation of TL that they're going to kill it there too. I know that the markets dictate what cars get made, but it's still sad.

Ever since the early/mid 2000's it seems that Honda's passion flame has been slowly going out.
agreed 100%
Old 02-15-2013 | 07:34 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

My thoughts are the TL SH-AWD 6MT is Acura's performance model. Every manufacture has hit a spot where people were like where are they going with this. Heck I see more Subaru BRZ's lately then anything else as far as new sporty cars go. Heck, if it had more ponies I'd be tempted. Yo' Honda heads, give us a bit of the excitement LOL!
Old 02-16-2013 | 07:18 PM
Safety Car

I started losing interest in Acura when they came out with the 4G TL. I think to myself why would I want to wait and have a very good chance of being disappointed with the 5G TL when I can go buy an AMAZING Lexus GS350 F sport? Sorry Acura
Old 02-16-2013 | 08:48 PM
Drifting

Because the GS350 F sport isn't all that amazing.
Old 02-16-2013 | 09:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
I started losing interest in Acura when they came out with the 4G TL. I think to myself why would I want to wait and have a very good chance of being disappointed with the 5G TL when I can go buy an AMAZING Lexus GS350 F sport? Sorry Acura
Hmm, I guess that is an opinion. I have taken the GS out a few times and to me, while a fine machine I am not a big fan of the dash and the way the dash and center console are disjointed. Also that damn mouse controller is just too twitchy. That said I have been seriously considering a GS, but there are a few things that disappoint me with the GS. First for a luxury car it has trunk hinges that intrude in the truck to squash you stuff. The grade of leather is not as good as in previous gen Luxus cars. The ride is awesome and definitly better than my M37.
Old 02-16-2013 | 09:41 PM
Banned

If the future TL (or TLX) will look anything like the new RLX, my 4G TL will be my first and last Acura.
Old 02-16-2013 | 09:52 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^

Let's hope they go back to 3G roots. They should let the Acccord team fix it as they did the new Accord.
Old 02-16-2013 | 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KeithL
^^^

Let's hope they go back to 3G roots. They should let the Acccord team fix it as they did the new Accord.
I prefer the style language of the 4G, much more original but the 3G is not too bad either.....definitely I do not want this "Hyundaized" mixup of design cues from the TLX....
Old 02-16-2013 | 10:41 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^

im with you on this ... if they go back to the a 3g look ill trade out of my 4g in a heartbeat, but if its like the RLX, i may think twice
Old 02-17-2013 | 06:49 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^Let's hope they go back to 3G roots.
I agree that the 3G was a nice design that has aged very well and still look attractive today. The 4G was very polarizing initially but people have come around to embrace its unique styling, great cockpit and handling. I am hoping that the TLX will be a looker with aggressive styling and a sporty look to it, although its going to be hard to pull that off without integrating a sexy dual exhaust in the rear. In case the Acura is reading this...Please do a better job with the body skirts with the TLX than you did with the MMC's kit (rear skirt)

If the 3G is used a basis for the TLX, it will be weird to dig out my old cassettes of George Jones *lol*
Old 02-17-2013 | 01:30 PM
10th Gear

New to the forum and I'm currently driving a 17 year old Honda...only car I've ever owned. It still runs beautifully but unfortunately doesn't look so good after all the years. I'll be picking up a new car <40k in the next year for whatever model seems to strike me the most and while the "idea" of Acura (good performance, reliability, value, comfort, attention to fuel efficiency, residual/resale value) has been great their design really does make me pause. It looks like the front beak is getting under control a bit better, but am I the only one who finds the JewelEye headlights hideous? Sort of a shame trading one marred front end feature for another? I can only hope that for the new TLX those headlights will be a premium feature with the Advance or something.

I'm hoping for a TLX that improves the fuel efficiency of the 4g (current HP is fine) via cylinder deactivation etc, and improved aesthetics. Incremental improvements throughout the car's features would of course be welcome but failing in any of the above will send me off to BMW, Infiniti or even Honda.
Old 02-17-2013 | 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RosieQ
... It looks like the front beak is getting under control a bit better, but am I the only one who finds the JewelEye headlights hideous? Sort of a shame trading one marred front end feature for another?
You know, for your first post, you hit a home run! I think we will enjoy your contribution in here if you keep make great points like this

Welcome to Acurazine
The following users liked this post:
RosieQ (02-17-2013)
Old 02-18-2013 | 08:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RosieQ
New to the forum and I'm currently driving a 17 year old Honda...only car I've ever owned. It still runs beautifully but unfortunately doesn't look so good after all the years. I'll be picking up a new car <40k in the next year for whatever model seems to strike me the most and while the "idea" of Acura (good performance, reliability, value, comfort, attention to fuel efficiency, residual/resale value) has been great their design really does make me pause. It looks like the front beak is getting under control a bit better, but am I the only one who finds the JewelEye headlights hideous? Sort of a shame trading one marred front end feature for another? I can only hope that for the new TLX those headlights will be a premium feature with the Advance or something.

I'm hoping for a TLX that improves the fuel efficiency of the 4g (current HP is fine) via cylinder deactivation etc, and improved aesthetics. Incremental improvements throughout the car's features would of course be welcome but failing in any of the above will send me off to BMW, Infiniti or even Honda.
Welcome to the forum! I would agree with you on the toned-down beak although I've really gotten used to my 2010's and like it better over the 12's-13's. The beaks on the newer Acuras are nicer than both however.

I have to reserve my view on the jewel headlights until I see them in person. I don't think they look too bad in photos though and I can see them on the TLX perhaps with one less light on each side.

From what we've seen in the new Acuras and although exterior design is still in doubt, I think cylinder deactivation will be a given for the TLX as well as the new technology features revealed in Accord and RLX scattered throughout the option packages. Just my 2 cents and not worth any more than that!
Old 02-18-2013 | 09:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't think we're going to see a big departure from the current design for the 5g to be honest. If they had a trick up their sleeves I think you wouldve seen it on the RLX.
Old 02-19-2013 | 05:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wreak
I don't think we're going to see a big departure from the current design for the 5g to be honest. If they had a trick up their sleeves I think you wouldve seen it on the RLX.
I expect the outside to get leaner, following the Accord. Several people that went from 3G to 4G felt the car got a tad bloated and lost that ideal sizing the 3G had. This is the same issue Accord drivers complained about and Honda fixed that with the 13 Accord. They managed to trim the outside while preserving excellent space inside. Let's hope they work that magic on the TLX. As for styling, again let's hope the Accord hints at how they ca really fix the design. The outgoing Accord came across bulbous and bloated and the 13 Accord is actually very nicely done car. Still very conservative, but much more stylish and elegant look to it. I hope they show a prototype at the New York Auto Show in March, I am holding off any short term car decisions to see if they show it there. If they don;t hen I have to assume the TLX is a year out and I may just go grab an Audi A4 or a 13 SH-AWD TL. They are really heavily discounting TLs right now, over $5K off.
Old 02-19-2013 | 03:07 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

I hope they stay away from a take on the 3G and just drum up something new, never was huge fan of it when it 1st hit the scene. But it evolved pretty nicely. I'm feeling my 4G...one reason I've had and '09 and now a '10. I'm not one to place big expectations on anyone or about anything because the out come tends to disappoint. After parking, by chance next to a 2G and then having a 3G park next to me the size variations are overwhelmingly apparent. The exterior has room to shrink depending on the how they sculpture the body.
Old 02-19-2013 | 05:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
Because the GS350 F sport isn't all that amazing.
Ditto.

I test drove Lexus GS350 and F Sport and not overly impressed. Sure it is a nice car, but for $60K they lack in tech that the RLX will have. Don't get me wrong it is a nice car, but that mouse controller sucks and they have trunk hinges that will crush your stuff if you are not careful. And on the regular GS350 as soon as you option it up you are forced to have a wood steering wheel. And I am still not loving the dash, the soft touch materials don't feel as upscale as other cars and I am not digging the way the dash does not flow into the center console, like 2 different designs that meet.
Old 02-19-2013 | 05:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wreak
although i c where u r coming from with this, i have to disagree. although the rlx, is not a looker, i think acura would save most of its tricks for their highest selling model which is the tl. or atleast thats what im hoping
Old 02-19-2013 | 06:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Dealers don't know squat. That being sad if Acura delays the 5G an extra year they will fall further behind. With a new Genesis, Q50, IS CTS and ATS plus the new 3 seres they can not compete with 5 year old models. Hell, they will even loose sales to their own Accord as the Touring Accord is a sweet ride with lots of cool tech the TSX and TL do not have. I also doubt there are that many people that will be swayed from a TLX to and RLX because my guess is with the RLX starting at $49K the TLX will likely top out by then.
Several dealers have already seen the TLX, so Acura isn't being as tight lipped about this model as in previous times.
Old 02-19-2013 | 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

I just hope they show the concept at the NY Show in 6 weeks so we get a clue. I am so tempted to grab a 4G AWD Advance, I keep getting offers for $41,300 and today they offered to take another $1500 since I drive a competitor car. Damn car is only a tad more than a loaded Accord
Old 02-19-2013 | 06:45 PM
The Sicilian

I just hope they show the concept at the NY Show in 6 weeks so we get a clue. I am so tempted to grab a 4G AWD Advance, I keep getting offers for $41,300 and today they offered to take another $1500 since I drive a competitor car. Damn car is only a tad more than a loaded Accord
I can't wait to go to the NYAS this April and see what Acura does with the TL. This years show should be exciting with all the new models coming from so many car manufacturers this year.
Old 02-19-2013 | 07:50 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I cannot see Acura showing the concept of the TLX this spring....There is no test mule, no spy pics no nothing out there. I am starting to believe that the TLX is delayed by 1 year as many have speculated. Its way too quiet....I hope I am wrong. I read in another thread that some people have seen the direction of the TLX and that it is quite bland and disappointing....

KeithL....You seem to have great opportunities to snatch a very cheap 2013 TL....AMAZING car but stating to looking stale in the tech dept. If you are more interested in the car for the styling and driving dynamic, you will LOVE the TL but if you are a tech guy and love the latest and greatest, you will be disappointed as you know.
Old 02-19-2013 | 08:03 PM
6G TLX-S

If you don't need the AWD, why not go for the loaded Accord instead ?

But if you do, you have nothing to worry about it being a tad more than a loaded Accord.
Old 02-19-2013 | 08:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by weather
^^ I cannot see Acura showing the concept of the TLX this spring....There is no test mule, no spy pics no nothing out there. I am starting to believe that the TLX is delayed by 1 year as many have speculated. Its way too quiet....I hope I am wrong. I read in another thread that some people have seen the direction of the TLX and that it is quite bland and disappointing....

KeithL....You seem to have great opportunities to snatch a very cheap 2013 TL....AMAZING car but stating to looking stale in the tech dept. If you are more interested in the car for the styling and driving dynamic, you will LOVE the TL but if you are a tech guy and love the latest and greatest, you will be disappointed as you know.
I owned a 4G before and yes it is a bit stale, but I want to get back with Acura and figure if the TLX is delayed by at least a yer then assuming the AWD is after that I have at least 18 months to kill and at $6K off I can drive a 4G AWD and then in about 24 months unload it for little loss. I agree we have not seen the 4G mule, but we'll have to see. If they can get me my silver/black at these insane discounts I may do it, we'll see. I don;t want to get hung up in a long term lease right now and while my M37 is OK I would do another if they could find me one with the Technology package, but that is very rare in a Sport Touring model and Infiniti was also discounting their car by close to $6800, but their resale drops so fast I would be stuck in it for close to 3 years, which is how long it has taken for me to be almost breaking even to trade out of my M. Also Infiniti build quality is not as tight as the 4G and road noise sucks in the M.
Old 02-19-2013 | 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
If you don't need the AWD, why not go for the loaded Accord instead ?

But if you do, you have nothing to worry about it being a tad more than a loaded Accord.
You know I have been debating that myself, but I am spoiled with the better sound systems and also the better grade materials in the M or a TL. Also the Touring Accord is very rare, if I found a silver/black Touring I might consider it, but I also think they are so rare dealers don't discount them much so to be only $5K from a AWD TL... I also miss the on rails like glue feeling of the AWD TL
Old 02-19-2013 | 09:04 PM
Cruisin'

I just left the dealer and put in my deposit for a '13 TL 6MT. I'll be returning my '10 TL 6MT off lease. They waived 3/4 of my excess mileage, waived all my excess damage, paid my last two payments AND applied $1500 to this next lease as a cap reduction.
I also thought about the Accord coupe with Nav and 6MT but you would have to order it and the dealer doesn't have any special offers for that model. Plus, living in NY it's nice having AWD. The SH-AWD handles as well as almost any other midsize car.
Comparable cars are about $10K more with the same options:
335ix
S4
CTS 4WD
There are no AWD and 3 pedal cars in the Lexus or Infiniti line ups. Not sure about M-B
Old 02-19-2013 | 09:12 PM
Drifting

Lub did you buy or lease again? If you bought what was the closing price? I'm in NYC and am also thinking about getting a 13' since all the 12's are about the same price anyway base on what Keith has said.
Old 02-20-2013 | 09:36 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by LubDub
I just left the dealer and put in my deposit for a '13 TL 6MT. I'll be returning my '10 TL 6MT off lease. They waived 3/4 of my excess mileage, waived all my excess damage, paid my last two payments AND applied $1500 to this next lease as a cap reduction.
I also thought about the Accord coupe with Nav and 6MT but you would have to order it and the dealer doesn't have any special offers for that model. Plus, living in NY it's nice having AWD. The SH-AWD handles as well as almost any other midsize car.
Comparable cars are about $10K more with the same options:
335ix
S4
CTS 4WD
There are no AWD and 3 pedal cars in the Lexus or Infiniti line ups. Not sure about M-B
Congrats on the new TL.. What color?
Old 02-22-2013 | 11:57 PM
Drifting

I think TSX69 posted this elsewhere on the forum :

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#axzz2LgzrzmlF

In it (if true, ) :

How much longer will the TSX stay in the lineup?
They haven't put a timetable on it, but I think through this year anyway.

Does that vanish when the TL replacement arrives next year?
I bet so, yes.
Old 02-24-2013 | 01:14 PM
8th Gear

I too have been a die-hard Honda fan all my life. I have owned nothing but Honda vehicles (Prelude Type SH, Accord Coupe V6 6MT and currently an 09 SH-AWD). I am starting to lose patience - delaying the next gen TL/TLX feels like the straw that broke the camel's back...

I am due for lease maturity on July 1st and can't see myself getting into a '13 TL to keep it for 3 years (the dealer says they will get me out of it at 30 months into a new TLX). Not even sure I want to wait that long - my dealer says the TLX comes out (in Canada) approx. August 2014 so definitely not a 2014 MY. So disappointing.

This is coming from a guy that owns a Honda snowblower, lawn mower, pressure washer (engine) because I love them so much... lol

With the new IS and Q50 coming out this summer - I think Acura missed the boat big time by delaying the 5Gen launch... Anybody else really disappointed?

I am thinking Q50 right now - it is a beautiful car with lots of tech - exactly what I was hoping from the new TLX - but NOW.
Old 02-24-2013 | 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ Being a Canadian too, I feel the same way about the delay of the TLX. I would be OK with a spring of 2014 release (as a 2015 model) but an August release will mean that I won't get on until the spring of 2015. That for me, would be a bad news for my dealership because I have never kept any of my lease until maturity and doing so, makes me a free agent and able to pick and chose anything I want. If the TLX is worth having, then no problem but if the model is so so and I am free to pick anything I want, I will walk. And right now, the Q really appeals to me as well, their new interior design is so much better than the current G and may be enough to win me over. Time will tell but a spring 2014 is what I need....anything later will disapoint me
Old 02-24-2013 | 01:43 PM
Suzuka Master

q50 is a nice looking car ... i could c a lot of people going that way instead of the new tlx if acura duznt design a car that is nothing like the rlx. although i think the rlx is a nice car, it will not sell well
Old 02-24-2013 | 03:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by nvestn
With the new IS and Q50 coming out this summer - I think Acura missed the boat big time by delaying the 5Gen launch... Anybody else really disappointed?

I am thinking Q50 right now - it is a beautiful car with lots of tech - exactly what I was hoping from the new TLX - but NOW.
Owning an Infiniti M37 I can tell you if the Q50 tech is as quirky as the G37 and M37 then the tech will not be an attraction. Infiniti builds a decent car, but their tech sucks, the audio, bluetooth and navi might look nicer that Acura, but it is the thing driving me away from Infiniti. I love the ride of my M37S, but road noise is too much and the tech sucks.
Old 02-24-2013 | 08:24 PM
Drifting

Keith not that you should have to considering how much an M37 costs but when you purchase a car and experience minor let downs like more road noise than expected do you consider aftermarket alternative such as dynamat the trunk/doors?
Old 02-25-2013 | 07:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Problem is the road noise is coming from the front too. I just think I would need to have the door panels pulled and the trunk to,have dynamat done. And since it was a lease did not feel it would be worth investing in their car. I drove an Audi A4 and S4 and they seemed substantially more quiet. Also took out an SH-AWD that seems a bit quieter. Maybe it is just having huge tires on pavement, but the M has had the original Bridgestone Potenzas and now General and both seemed just as noisey
Old 02-25-2013 | 07:18 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Owning an Infiniti M37 I can tell you if the Q50 tech is as quirky as the G37 and M37 then the tech will not be an attraction. Infiniti builds a decent car, but their tech sucks, the audio, bluetooth and navi might look nicer that Acura, but it is the thing driving me away from Infiniti. I love the ride of my M37S, but road noise is too much and the tech sucks.
I can agree on a lot of these points. My bluetooth connects flawlessly to my phone, transfers calls from car to handset without a problem. However, phonebook transfers happen maybe 25% of the time

I like my navi, but I feel the UI on Acuras is better and more intuitive.

Lastly, the audio is dog shit with the Bose system in the G's. Acura's ELS is just a better system, but there are even better factory options from different manufacturers.

I don't find my G particularly noisy, except the choice of tires I decided to replaced my stock ones with are super noisy now that they have about 15k on them. Every Acura I had transmitted road noise quite a bit as well.
Old 02-25-2013 | 08:02 PM
Suzuka Master

The Bose in the M is better than the Bose in the G, but ELS beats them both. Actually I got to test out the B&O on the S4 and it held up well, probably below the ELS and above the Bose. While BT in the M works OK, it has issues with Audio streaming from my android and the sound quality of the BY Hands free is garbage no matter what phone I pair with it. Such a shame because I really love the ride of my M37 Sport. It has a nice balance of firmness and softness where the AWD TL is much firmer, but then the M37 leans int he turns where my old AWD TL was like glue on rails. I would never through the M37 into a turn near like what I used to with the AWD TL. The M37S is a great long haul car, we drive it form ATL to NYC every year and it is an amazing ride. hours fly by because the car is so stable, smooth and effortless at 75+ MPH! The AWD TL used to send much more road irregularities into the cabin.
Old 02-25-2013 | 08:39 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Pandora streams fine on my phone to my car.

If Infiniti updated the head unit/ICE the M would be a much more compelling car. It's starting to show its age. Which is sad, because you're right it's very comfortable and makes a wonderful highway cruiser.

I've driven my G to San Diego a few times and I really enjoy this car on Highway 5, very easy to get in trouble if you're not paying attention.
Old 04-02-2013 | 10:13 PM
Racer

bump... any new info/rumors??
Old 04-03-2013 | 06:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Pandora streams fine on my phone to my car.

If Infiniti updated the head unit/ICE the M would be a much more compelling car. It's starting to show its age. Which is sad, because you're right it's very comfortable and makes a wonderful highway cruiser.

I've driven my G to San Diego a few times and I really enjoy this car on Highway 5, very easy to get in trouble if you're not paying attention.
I agree, I am curious if the 14 will have an updated head unit. I do know for 13 they added Infiniti Connection which is their "On Star" version and you can send destinations to the car and sync your Google calendar. I have been working closely with my dealer and as of now the 14 M is out in December and can't even be ordered until October 28. And boy do I have an itch right now...

I have been so on the fence I am being offered an incredible deal on a 4GL AWD Advance at $5920 off MSRP ,but I have grown to like the RWD ride of my M and have been tempted to order a new M with tech which to me would be better alternative to t he RLX since I am so not impressed with RLX. I have driven RLX and I will take my M any day of the week.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen TL?